GunnerOne 84

Your Thoughts and Feelings as the Reunion Draws Near

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

Really? I mean they mentioned it so infrequently during the CD era, I would never have guessed ;)...

Though in my brief exchanges with them since the reunion was announced, I can't say that "yeah, been there, know how you feel man" has been the sentiment most frequently extended my way.

I never realized you were that much a fan of just the new lineup...or else I would have said it!  ;)

I liked CD too, don't get me wrong.  I tried seeing them in 2002 in Philly (Axl no show) and I saw them in 2011 in Camden.  Bought CD the day it came out, even the vinyl version.  But if I had a choice, I would take this lineup over any Nu Guns version in heartbeat.....just like you said what Nu Guns is for you, the classic lineup is that to me... it's what I grew up with in my teen years.  It's my preference for a myriad of reasons....and I'm guessing a lot of the folks that you're referring to probably feel the same way.  It's not like we're like, "screw Nu Guns, that never happened."  It's more like, "Yes!  They are back, let's get it on!"  This has everything to do with what is going to happen vs what has happened over the past 20 some years. 

Edited by Kasanova King

I'm a new member here, but I've been a GNR fan since high school in the 90's. AFD and Illusions are my favorite albums. I'm glad I found this forum as my hubby has never understood my love for this band. I have been talking his ear off about this reunion, I can't seem to help it, lol!!! Thought about seeing GNR in the later years with just Axl as the remaining original member, but I just couldn't do it. When I found out about this reunion, I had to be there. Izzy and Adler better be there!!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I never realized you were that much a fan of just the new lineup...or else I would have said it!  ;)

I liked CD too, don't get me wrong.  I tried seeing them in 2002 in Philly (Axl no show) and I saw them in 2011 in Camden.  Bought CD the day it came out, even the vinyl version.  But if I had a choice, I would take this lineup over any Nu Guns version in heartbeat.....just like you said what Nu Guns is for you, the classic lineup is that to me... it's what I grew up with in my teen years.  It's my preference for a myriad of reasons....and I'm guessing a lot of the folks that you're referring to probably feel the same way.  It's not like we're like, "screw Nu Guns, that never happened."  It's more like, "Yes!  They are back, let's get it on!"  This has everything to do with what is going to happen vs what has happened over the past 20 some years. 

I wasn't to begin with, when I first came here if you told me Slash and Duff were going to be back in the band, I'd have been thrilled. I was brought here by the old stuff, but '06-'10 changed my whole experience of following the band and I feel a lot of loyalty to those guys. Particularly to Ron, who became a friend. I'm more gutted that he never got to achieve what he wanted to with Guns than I ever will be excited about whatever comes after his involvement.

52 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I wasn't to begin with, when I first came here if you told me Slash and Duff were going to be back in the band, I'd have been thrilled. I was brought here by the old stuff, but '06-'10 changed my whole experience of following the band and I feel a lot of loyalty to those guys. Particularly to Ron, who became a friend. I'm more gutted that he never got to achieve what he wanted to with Guns than I ever will be excited about whatever comes after his involvement.

You really have zero interest in keeping up with whatever version of GnR we're getting this year? That's insane man. I loved the 06-10 lineups but how can you not be excited at least a little bit about the upcoming shows?

1 hour ago, GNR 1991 said:

You really have zero interest in keeping up with whatever version of GnR we're getting this year? That's insane man. I loved the 06-10 lineups but how can you not be excited at least a little bit about the upcoming shows?

Nah, I think I'm finished with it (though the music and the experiences will always mean a lot to me). I'm not just saying that to be some sort of wanky hipster contrarian, I wish I was as excited as everyone else, but I've been disappointed since the announcement and I'm still more annoyed than anything else. Not really having an outlet for that without everyone saying "What the fuck are you talking about?" hasn't contributed much to my enthusiasm for getting involved with the discussion. I used to post more in Discussion & News than anywhere else, but now it's lucky if it makes up 5% of my total post count.

I don't imagine my point of view is particularly welcome up in here anyway...

6 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Nah, I think I'm finished with it (though the music and the experiences will always mean a lot to me). I'm not just saying that to be some sort of wanky hipster contrarian, I wish I was as excited as everyone else, but I've been disappointed since the announcement and I'm still more annoyed than anything else. Not really having an outlet for that without everyone saying "What the fuck are you talking about?" hasn't contributed much to my enthusiasm for getting involved with the discussion. I used to post more in Discussion & News than anywhere else, but now it's lucky if it makes up 5% of my total post count.

You'll stick around. Look at it this way, you have Fortus, Frank, and Axl to cheer on.

31 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Aw come on Graeme, your posts are always interesting. Stick around, take in these upcoming shows without any predisposition if you can and see what happens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

I slightly edited your post...only took out "never will" and the years.

That's EXACTLY how fans of the classic lineup have felt for 23 years.

I am a fan of the classic lineup. I became a fan of GN'R because of the 87/88/90/91 period. I loved that period. Being a kid and listening to that powerful music. An up and coming band. Eager to prove themselves. Chaotic. Sweaty. Dangerous. Charismatic. Awesome live performances. A united band. On MTV every day. It changed not only the music scene but also me. It's a cliche but it was the soundtrack to my life. I am a huge fan of that band and will always be. Axl continuing with GN'R long after that lineup fell apart was just a bonus. I didn't resent it - why should I? More power to him. Icing on the cake. But it could never be the same. I was 20 years older, so was Axl. He had nothing to prove, I was set in my ways. The music wasn't as revolutionary as AFD when it tremored in 1987. CD was just an unexpected bonus. But new music is always cool.

I am not so much a fan of former rock stars coming together to cash in on nostalgia by trying to recreate what once was at extortionate prices. I don't resent this either, but there is nothing rock and roll about that. Very little remains of the band that I fell in love with. The music will be the same, and fantastic as always, yet but without the important socioeconomic context back in the 80s and performed by complacent musicians who are past their prime. I just can't muster much excitement over what appears to be nothing but a corporate nostalgia cash grab. Again, it is better than nothing, and I will follow the tour as always, but always hope it will somehow result in new music.

What I am excited about, though, is for all you guys who have wanted nothing but this to get your dream realized. I love the change of mood here. I love lurking in the threads about preparations for Vegas. I love living vicariously through other guys' excitement. I am genuinely happy for you all.

Well, reading through this thread I'm feeling an overwhelming sense of "LOL Graeme"...

I feel Axl pissed away a lot of good years doing what at least appears to be not much, and this all should have happened a lot sooner.

Hoping they knock it out of the park, and it's going to be SO FUCKING GOOD to hear Slash playing the GNR stuff with Axl again.

• Like 4

I tend to get excited on the day of the show. 

Definitely think the shows will be exciting, pure rock n roll atmosphere. 

i think they are going to make it!

1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

You guys think this reunion is recent. Axl and Slash have been running a value knitwear range for years. This is the label inside my jumper. 

What are the chances!? :lol: Maybe it was named after them.

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

Hopefully Cris Pitman is still in the band, it will be pretty terrible if there isn't some falling down drunk fucking wanker playing sub bass and tambourine over all those beloved GNR songs...it's dire straits after all, Ron won't be there to shred on 14 Years and DJ will have to fuck up his own songs now.

53 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

Hopefully Cris Pitman is still in the band, it will be pretty terrible if there isn't some falling down drunk fucking wanker playing sub bass and tambourine over all those beloved GNR songs...it's dire straits after all, Ron won't be there to shred on 14 Years and DJ will have to fuck up his own songs now.

Come on man, I love you but you're displaying exactly the intolerance of a different opinion which means I don't post in here all that much anymore...

This fucking rocked:

These two were two of the best days of my life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0NPZjekmnM

And wasn't this awesome?

9 hours ago, Graeme said:

Nah, I think I'm finished with it

see ya.. I am sure there are a lot of people at HTGTH who feel the same way.

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

Come on man, I love you but you're displaying exactly the intolerance of a different opinion which means I don't post in here all that much anymore...

This fucking rocked:

These two were two of the best days of my life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0NPZjekmnM

And wasn't this awesome?

SPAM!

• Like 1

Maybe I am greedy or something but unless this leads to new music I couldn't give a shit anymore for this band in any formality 

2 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Maybe I am greedy or something but unless this leads to new music I couldn't give a shit anymore for this band in any formality 

You will have a lot better chance of hearing new music with Slash back in the fold...

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

You will have a lot better chance of hearing new music with Slash back in the fold...

I wished I shared your optimism. But why do you think so?

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Maybe tom has a different answer, but this is what believe. What were gnrs most productive years? 87-93. and what were their most unproductive years? About 97-2014. Slash was in the band as a main songwriter in their most productive years, and when he was not, they were extremely unproductive. Simple imo. And we've the extra songwriter in duff, who was also there during the bands most productive years.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Ummm.. Slash has release two Snakepit Albums, Two VR albums, 3 Solos albums and 2 Live albums to Axl's one.. Just a little bit more productive.. Dufff as well. Never mind if we throw Izzy into the mix..

3 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Maybe tom has a different answer, but this is what believe. What were gnrs most productive years? 87-93. and what were their most unproductive years? About 97-2014. Slash was in the band as a main songwriter in their most productive years, and when he was not, they were extremely unproductive. Simple imo. And we've the extra songwriter in duff, who was also there during the bands most productive years.

They weren't reall productive at the end of the 87-93 perod, though. It was almost like they fell apart. In fact, they were only really produtctive when they were starting out. Already under UYIs the collaboration faultered and Axl started being difficult to work with.

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Ummm.. Slash has release two Snakepit Albums, Two VR albums, 3 Solos albums and 2 Live albums to Axl's one.. Just a little bit more productive.. Dufff as well. Never mind if we throw Izzy into the mix..

So you are saying the reason why nuGUNS wasn't more productive wasn't Axl but the rest of the lineup? So now that they have been replaced with Slash the creativity and albums will flow?

Look, the reason UYIs almost never came out was mainly Axl, the reason the band didn't create more before it fell apart in 94 was mainly Axl, the reason nuGuns didn't release more was probably entirely Axl. Slash can be as productive as he wants but I don't think that matters as long as Axl is there and hasn't changed.

If this had happened a few years ago, and with Izzy garunteed, I may have been a lot more excited.

Right now I am happy for Axl, Slash, Duff, and all the fans, and I don't have a cynical view about the reunion at all. I hope it goes off well, and they have some legendary performances.

I think I have just been beaten into callousness when it comes to GN'R.  Perhaps the only thing that can get me excited and or create a high anticipation about it would be new music from the trio, or maybe a heavy deep cut setlist.

I'll watch the streams, and if the tickets are fair, I'll even go see the show here in Chi town. But as of right now I am just cautiously optimistic, and otherwise it's having little to no impact on my life or my thoughts.

Edited by Dan H.