07/27/16 - Atlanta, GA - Georgia Dome

downzy

27 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Unless you're going to a ton of shows, who the hell cares if they have a similar setlist every night? What's the big deal?

Right? Most bands do it this way. People are often quick to bring up the Pearl Jam example but rarer these days is the band that changes the set nightly. Most bands do pretty similar sets from night to night and at the very least it guarantees that the fans in attendance get the same show as those on the other side of the country/world.

• Like 1

My really snarky post aside, tonight was great. Axl sounded pretty damn good (I especially noticed him nailing OTGM and the Rocket Queen outro) and it was clear that the band is coming together as a unit more every show having seen them 2 and a half weeks ago in Nashville.

As for the setlist and lack of changes, my take is this: you're free to feel however you want, but ultimately the shows are played for those in attendance. If you're a person who cares enough to go to multiple shows on a tour, that PROBABLY means you also care enough to check setlists, meaning that (for GNR at least) you know there won't be that much variation, especially if you're been following them (shows, setlists, whatever) for tours before this one. With that, you're probably going into the show knowing what the deal is. So why expect anything else? If there's something new/changed, great. If not, it is far away from the end of the world as some on here would have you believe.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

But who the hell cares if someone actually cares? People trying to control what's said and crying about other people's opinions, that's the big deal. Whether the setlist is perfect, great or pretty bad, that's just a matter of personal opinion and it shouldn't be a big deal at all.

I think the issue isn't about personal opinions, but its just that the constant "setlist sucks" comments happen in every single show thread which gives forth to the exact same conversations such as the past few pages.  Like to me there is a difference between thinking GNR should change things up more (which is perfectly valid) and just being redundant in every single show thread

Like we don't need the same comments by the same people on Periscope every night and not at the shows saying the same things about the same setlists in the same types of threads lol it just kinda brings everything down a little.  Not saying we should not allow those comments to be made, but rather I am trying to just question the logic of such people

Edited by WhazUp

The "base" setlist for this tour is pretty fucking great in my opinion; Coma every night is a huge treat for fans of that song who may only get to attend one show, ChiDem fans get Better and TIL, UYI fans get DTJ, Civil War and Estranged at almost every gig... Really my only complaint is The Seeker taking up space for a UYI or ChiDem deep cut (or Slither :P ). I'm happy I got Sorry in Toronto, and it was cool for fans in Foxborough/Boston to get that the first night and Catcher the second. Adler has guested for a couple of shows, OTGM seems to have become a staple and My Michelle makes an appearance every now and then... Yeah it's not Pearl Jam or Springsteen, but it's still a decent amount of variety while catering to the majority who come to the concerts for SCOM, Jungle, November Rain, PC, etc.

I'm sure they'll pull out some deep cuts for the Dodger Stadium shows and maybe Adler again.

• Like 4

Just got back. Crowd was pretty rowdy. Axl and the boys seemed to be enjoying themselves. Axl seems almost playful at times. I also attended Nashville and think the sound was better there. Georgia Dome sounded kinda muddy at times. I would say there were probably 45k there. Very good crowd for a Wednesday evening.  I like most wish they would switch up the 2nd half of the setlist. However, we are the only ones watching every other show on periscope. The crowd seems to love it and that's all that matters right now. The band seems good and we can hope they get in the studio soon!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Unless you're going to a ton of shows, who the hell cares if they have a similar setlist every night? What's the big deal?

THIS.

And live with it, they're gonna maintain pretty much the same setlist with a rarely played song (on NITL) thrown in here and there on certain shows, so... those who are still unsatisfied should avoid clicking on periscope links as best as they can, -- distract yourselves by not getting into the show threads here on mygnrforum during show nights :lol: go to gym, watch netflix, read to your kids, or something LOL.

The rest of us can enjoy what's being offered for now, as nothing lasts forever.

Edited by cheesecake
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cheesecake said:

THIS.

And live with it, they're gonna maintain pretty much the same setlist with a rarely played song (on NITL) thrown in here and there on certain shows, so... those who are still unsatisfied should avoid clicking on periscope links as best as they can, -- distract yourselves by not getting into the show threads on show nights here on mygnrforum during show nights :lol: go to gym, watch netflix, read to your kids, or something LOL.

The rest of us can enjoy what's being offered for now, as nothing lasts forever.

I agree with this totally!  There is so much going right in the world of GNR right now, and if people are bored of the setlists then maybe take a Periscope break lol.  I know for me I have seen nearly every show through Periscope and still am just as excited to hear this setlist live next month because I know how awesome it is and how happy these songs make me when I hear them

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I think the issue isn't about personal opinions, but its just that the constant "setlist sucks" comments happen in every single show thread which gives forth to the exact same conversations such as the past few pages.  Like to me there is a difference between thinking GNR should change things up more (which is perfectly valid) and just being redundant in every single show thread

I totally understand that but as I said, I think answering to those kind of comments only make things worse. If you're enjoying, don't let other people drag you down.

15 minutes ago, Amir said:

The "base" setlist for this tour is pretty fucking great in my opinion; Coma every night is a huge treat for fans of that song who may only get to attend one show, ChiDem fans get Better and TIL, UYI fans get DTJ, Civil War and Estranged at almost every gig... Really my only complaint is The Seeker taking up space for a UYI or ChiDem deep cut (or Slither :P ). I'm happy I got Sorry in Toronto, and it was cool for fans in Foxborough/Boston to get that the first night and Catcher the second. Adler has guested for a couple of shows, OTGM seems to have become a staple and My Michelle makes an appearance every now and then... Yeah it's not Pearl Jam or Springsteen, but it's still a decent amount of variety while catering to the majority who come to the concerts for SCOM, Jungle, November Rain, PC, etc.

I'm sure they'll pull out some deep cuts for the Dodger Stadium shows and maybe Adler again.

Absolutely agree with this. Having Coma, Estranged and DTJ at every gig is unbelievable! Hopefully those songs are gonna stay forever. Also, Better and Chinese Democracy are two of the highlights for me. The only problem for me is that I love this new version of the songs so much that I can't listen to the album version of 'em anymore, lol. I hope I'll be as lucky as you to catch Sorry when I get to see them.

GN'R has played 35 different songs (including Coma, There Was A Time,Cather In The Rye and Yesterdays) on this tour, I would say that's pretty damn good for 23 dates so far!

Edited by youngswedishvinyl
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

GN'R has played 35 different songs (including Coma, There Was A Time,Cather In The Rye and Yesterdays) on this tour, I would say that's pretty damn good for 23 dates so far!

That has been my point all along. They have mixed It up more than a lot of major acts and more then they did on the UYI tour. As you said the following songs have been played In the last 3 months Coma, There Was A Time, Catcher In The Rye, Sorry, Yesterdays, OTGM, DTJ and My Michelle. Hell I don't think Coma and DTJ have been played since 1992 prior to this tour and before that fans were adamant about wanting Estranged and Civil War back In the set and the band obliged. They are doing everything they need to be doing right now and could probably care less about a few fans sitting at home upset because they are playing the seeker.

• Like 2

Great honest review taj!

Surptising that out of all the Chinese tracks that Better seems to take the wind out the crowd's sails the most! I would've thought it would be This I Love

I'm glad I'm a big Who fan so that means I'm keen on The Seeker, but I agree that having it as the first encore track is a very questionable move. Doesn't look like there's any chance of it being omitted any time soon as they've been playing it every show since The Troubadour

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

Right? Most bands do it this way. People are often quick to bring up the Pearl Jam example but rarer these days is the band that changes the set nightly. Most bands do pretty similar sets from night to night and at the very least it guarantees that the fans in attendance get the same show as those on the other side of the country/world.

It's really ridiculous at this point to bitch about the setlist when 90% of the people on this forum haven't even seen the band live. Bunch of ungrateful twats. Pearl Jam is a band that has had a consistent lineup (besides the drummers) and has a ton of material to pick from. There's never been demand there for reunions or such obsession with the band members' actions or opinions as there is with Guns. In the past 20 years it's all been about Axl and Slash getting back together over here and all that negativity amongst fans apparently has to be redirected instead of abolished, because people just can't let it go. So if anyone's going to stay up all night to watch a show and then complain about how the setlist isn't as random yet likeable as possible, then I'm sorry for them and their 12 cats.

• Like 2

Nobody can say he is bigger Gunner than me, Ax solo experiment excluded, but same setlist - sucks big time!

If you have loyal fans who waited for you 25 years - they should be treated.

Coma is my favorite song, but hell, after 25 concerts give me Dead Horse, Breakdown, Locomotive, Get in the ring, Right next door...I don't care for ChiDem shit songs and AFD that much. Heard AFD million times in the setlist.

You have one of the best catalogues in the world if not the best and play 5 covers a fucking gig!?!?

If I need to see Fartus instead of Izz/Gilby and Ferrer ruin the songs, I want some treats.

Back 2011 although not much of a fan, went to see Bon Jovi. Out of the 5 (These Arms, Blaze of glory, Bed of roses, Captain crash, I'll be there for you) they never play more than 3 in one concert, the previous concert they play 1.

Fior the first time in history they played all 5 in Zagreb, next gig in Dresden differed by 7 songs to Zagreb, the gig in Munich differed by another 5 to Dresden.

It gives much more kick and enthusiasm going to the gig not knowing what they will hear.

Back 2008, Smashing Pumpkins continued their 2007 tour, Bill threw in 10 songs, many not played since 90's, compared to the last concert they played on that tour.

It is just a matter of being lazy or not, nothing else.

• Like 1

Im 47 years old and have been a die hard fan of this band since 87, i have no problem with the setlist, I think its great the Pittsburgh Show was awesome, Im a very happy GnR fan. Others quit whining and have a nice day

• Like 3