Frank Ferrer

He's not a complete robot and he's not going into "surgery" so there's that. 

Seems like he has some feel and some heavy hitting. 

To me it's about the next record as anything. And changing the drummer changes things up. So Adler has AFD, Matt has UYI, Brain has CD with Frank. So maybe next is Frank on new stuff with some Brain on old CD era tracks. 

But Frank is dependable for a stadium tour and has some next album appeal. 

19 minutes ago, LikeADog93 said:

They are both very simple songs, so yes, I would expect them to be played like how Steven originally played it. There is a fine line between adding your own touch into a song and just flat out playing incorrectly, and Frank plays both of those opening drum parts incorrectly. I learned how to play those songs when I was about 12 years old, I would expect a professional, touring musician to be able to do the same.

I don't think he would dare to touch the classics on his own will. I'm pretty sure if he's playing the songs like that it is because someone has enabled him and that someone may probably be the very own Axl Rose.

Just like Slash is not playing Better the same exact way it was recorded in Chinese Democracy.

I think he plays the songs the way he's been instructed  to play them by Axl. It  seems strange that Axl wouldn't want them played the classic way but it wouldn't be the first time he has demonstrated questionable taste.

Even though I'd prefer Steven or Matt, I think Frank is a pretty solid drummer. What annoyed me in the video clips of the Troubadour Gig is the fact that he played the songs too fast, probably he was a bit nervous? Who knows... I hope he won't do that on the rest of the tour, I don't wanna hear those songs played in a rush like Lars Ulrich does it nowadays (that guy should REALLY retire...)

47 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I don't think he would dare to touch the classics on his own will. I'm pretty sure if he's playing the songs like that it is because someone has enabled him and that someone may probably be the very own Axl Rose.

Just like Slash is not playing Better the same exact way it was recorded in Chinese Democracy.

Comparing how Slash plays Better and how Frank plays Brownstone and Rocket Queen is a terrible example. The opening drum parts to both Brownstone and Rocket Queen are instantly recognizable and they set the tone for the song. Those are highly regarded, classic songs, and anybody who has heard them can instantly recognize that what Frank plays isn't correct. Better is not a highly regarded, classic song and the guitar part doesn't set the tone like how the drums do on Brownstone and Rocket Queen. Matt Sorum played both correctly during the UYI tour, so why can't Frank? They aren't that hard

Edited by LikeADog93
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LikeADog93 said:

Comparing how Slash plays Better and how Frank plays Brownstone and Rocket Queen is a terrible example. The opening drum parts to both Brownstone and Rocket Queen are instantly recognizable and they set the tone for the song. Those are highly regarded, classic songs, and anybody who has heard them can instantly recognize that what Frank plays isn't correct. Better is not a highly regarded, classic song and the guitar part doesn't set the tone like how the drums do on Brownstone and Rocket Queen. Matt Sorum played both correctly during the UYI tour, so why can't Frank? They aren't that hard

Its not a terrible example because I'm talking about how a musician will do their own interpretation of the music. Do you really think a millionaire band like this would have a drummer who doesn't know how to play their songs?

If he's doing it that way it is because he's allowed to do it that way and if he's still playing it that way, even with Slash and Duff there, then he's being enabled for such thing. You think Slash and Duff wouldn't remark the so-called mistake, if that was the case?

I think they are modernizing their sound and playing songs exactly the same as the album is not cool for a show.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Its not a terrible example because I'm talking about how a musician will do their own interpretation of the music. Do you really think a millionaire band like this would have a drummer who doesn't know how to play their songs?

If he's doing it that way it is because he's allowed to do it that way and if he's still playing it that way, even with Slash and Duff there, then he's being enabled for such thing. You think Slash and Duff wouldn't remark the so-called mistake, if that was the case?

I think they are modernizing their sound and playing songs exactly the same as the album is not cool for a show.

Maybe that's the case. But that won't change my opinion that his performance on those songs is mediocre. Classic parts should be honored and played correctly. I'll leave it at that.

1 minute ago, LikeADog93 said:

Maybe that's the case. But that won't change my opinion that his performance on those songs is mediocre. Classic parts should be honored and played correctly. I'll leave it at that.

I know and it's ok because it is your opinion. Other people think it's innovative and refreshing to a 30 years old song.

3 hours ago, Tyler Drama said:

I think he's the best drummer GNR has had. I'm glad he's still in the band.

I don't play drums but Matt Sorum is probably the best drummer that GNR ever had. Although my fav is Adler, when he was fired the sound of the band never was the same.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mikebones said:

I don't play drums but Matt Sorum is probably the best drummer that GNR ever had. Although my fav is Adler, when he was fired the sound of the band never was the same.

I play drums and I would say you are correct. Matt has the most technical skill of any drummer GN'R has ever had, but was he the best fit for the band and was the band at it's best when he was behind the kit? I would say no. I agree, the band was at its best with Steven.

Edited by LikeADog93

32 minutes ago, LikeADog93 said:

I don't think it's Frank's inability to play them the original way so much as he just chooses to play them differently. He plays Brownstone similar to how Brain played it - more of a tribal feel so to speak. I'm with you there - I wish he'd just play it more like the original. I don't mind that he works his way around the toms to accent the rhythm, but the steady four count on the bass drum totally changes the feel of the intro. I didn't care for Matt's UYI tour take on it where he used a timpani but in any other scenario he's been fine (VR, KOC, etc...).

4 minutes ago, LikeADog93 said:

I play drums and I would say you are correct. Matt has the most technical skill of any drummer GN'R has ever had, but was he the best fit for the band and was the band at it's best when he was behind the kit? I would say no. I agree, the band was at its best with Steven.

yeah, that's exactly what I think, GNR doesn't need a super skilled drummer or a guitar player like Bumblefoot... I remember that I used to tell to myself "I don't see any passion in Sorum" when I watched UYI shows. He was just professional.

• Like 1

Steven has a nice style, but thats all.  Sorum, well hes probably one of the best drumers ive ever heard ( and my favorite of all drumers in the world), but..

Now...    ferrer is an enormesly great drumer, with endless stamina, very strung sound, a more "now days kind of sound" ,  a very nice classy and cachy style ( go watch the SORRY performance of london o2 hd vídeo.. Then u understand what hes capable of)

Hes been playin this stuff for the last 10 years

Plus is a very sober person, a very easy going fella (something very important if youre working with axl and slash), and being a latin guy he provides an even more diverse image to the band  

Result:    FRANK IS BY FAR THE BEST CHOICE FOR GNR 2016/2017 PERMANENT DRUMER JOB.

I'd love to see Steven drum on the appetite songs because I think he deserves the closure and the happy ending after a long, tough time.  I like Frank as a person and as a drummer and I have no problem with him being the drummer.

1 hour ago, maynard said:

Explain the Ashba years, please.

Axl had a bond with ashba. He doesn't seem to bond with frank.

People complain about frank changing parts but none complains about bucket rewriting solos.

20 minutes ago, liers said:

People complain about frank changing parts but none complains about bucket rewriting solos.

Say what?  Now no one complained about that?  Oh, my brother, you're terribly mistaken. :lol:

Frank should play the classics the way they're supposed to.  Pay respect to those who wrote the material, it's not yours.  Improve and do your original shit with the material you wrote, and if you didn't write any, well, too bad for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I don't think it's Frank's inability to play them the original way so much as he just chooses to play them differently.

100% his choice. .. He could play them closer to the original way if he wanted.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am sure he is a great drummer and a great guy but his drumming in Guns N' Roses blows.... It has nothing to do with not being Steven Adler either.. If he played the songs right no one would give a fuck or notice him. He changes the feel and sound of songs.. Maybe it is an ego thing, but there are classic parts of songs that can simply be duplicated and not tinkered with.. As others have mentioned Rocket Queen, Brownstone You Could Be Mine are big offenders...

That's racist!

• Like 1