Frank Ferrer

Frank's a cool cat, of course I would've preferred Adler but I doubt he would play many UYI or CD songs and I would like to hear many of those on this tour! 

The only minor problem I have with his drumming is the intro to Brownstone and in some regard even in Rocket Queen but it's not like it's the end of the world and I really don't care about it that much...

I say go Frank but if available get Adler for the AFD songs! ;)

• Like 1

I never liked Franks additions to CD, and didnt even like how he played Tommy Stinson's solo song "Motivation" live vs how Brain played it. I would prefer brain being in the band than Frank or Matt. I neutral on steven.

I'm probably in the minority here, but it doesn't really matter to me. Frank is doing a fine job IMO and I wouldn't want Sorum back. The only possible replacement for Frank would be Steven for me, but i've never had any problems with his drumming. Each have had their own styles (Steven, Sorum, Brain, Frank) and I think Frank's style fits the best at the moment. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LikeADog93 said:

I play drums and I would say you are correct. Matt has the most technical skill of any drummer GN'R has ever had, but was he the best fit for the band and was the band at it's best when he was behind the kit? I would say no. I agree, the band was at its best with Steven.

You play drums and you think Matt is better than Brain? :lol:

• Like 1

What the fuck does it mean when people say "Frank fits in GNR" the best now?  Like his drumming style does or something?  I don't get this. Name one signature  drum lick by Frank? Sorum and Adler have them in spades. Can Frank drum? Sure. Is he anything truly special? No. I have seen cover bands with better. 

• Like 2

Seen Frank live 2 times. I like him over Brain live. One thing i noticed is now that the Slash n Duff vibez are back, and from the very limited clips we seen so far, the tempo has increased. Im not a fan of that. Almost seems to be why Axls lines are sometimes short or sound outta breathe. Also u lose some of the feel of the guitar licks etc cus the speedup.

Overall i love Franks heavy hittin from the shows ive seen live. Jus that tempo has to chill the f#!k out.  My thoughts at least.

Above all im sooooooooo happy to see these guys back together!!!!!

20 minutes ago, NTONIUS said:

Seen Frank live 2 times. I like him over Brain live. One thing i noticed is now that the Slash n Duff vibez are back, and from the very limited clips we seen so far, the tempo has increased. Im not a fan of that. Almost seems to be why Axls lines are sometimes short or sound outta breathe. Also u lose some of the feel of the guitar licks etc cus the speedup.

Overall i love Franks heavy hittin from the shows ive seen live. Jus that tempo has to chill the f#!k out.  My thoughts at least.

Above all im sooooooooo happy to see these guys back together!!!!!

Hated the tempo of November rain on the last few tours, but Axl set the tempo! so it's hard to blame Frank for that one. Hopefully they slow NR down in Future. Nearly all the clips of songs online were either started with a guitar riff or the bass, so Frank just came in with the tempo Duff or Slash set. Brownstone was the right tempo from what I heard.

I'm a drummer and Steven is one of my biggest  influences.  The thing with Adler is his unique ability for accenting and groove.  For example on the breakdown on Its so easy.  I see you standing there  you think your so cool. The way Steven hits his kick drummer to what Duff and izzy are playing on that part.  As a person Steven is a nut but his parts are very creative.  

Frank is is a good drummer but again he is playing someone else's parts and trying to add his style.  He is ghost noting all over the place and shuffling more than what Adler played.  That's why it sounds off to us.  But didn't sorums tale on Stevens parts seem off to you during the illusion tour?  

Watch Mtv awards 1988 and then listen to live era welcome to the jungle with sorum.  Then listen to Frank on the live democracy play Jungle.  His time and swing are more Steven then Matt but he is still putting his own spin on things.

Edited by Guigsdaddy1976

I am a drummer myself. What I think:

1) Adler: great drummer and has great feel, generally a rock drummer and not as versatile as some newer guns drummers (or maybe im wrong)

2) Sorum: Very tight drummer , less feel because of this but plays tight and can play other peoples songs 95% like the album but almost like a drum machine (not necessarily a bad thing) 

3) Ferrer: good drummer with feel, I noticed he doesnt play the songs 100% like adler and sorum do (has different rolls and changes than the part on record), maybe plays them 80% like the record. Looser than Sorum but not exact to the record like Adler can play

14 minutes ago, smoking guns said:

He is playing too fast. Needs to get on the same page with Slash. 

I think fast can be good. Like the Guns n Roses videos in 1988 Steven Adler plays some of the songs with a slightly faster tempo gives them more energy live. Sometimes when people play at record speed or below it sounds tighter but doesnt have that certain energy

Edited by wrecthed
  • Like 1

I think Brain was the best drummer of the NuGNR era. So if they were not going to be bringing in Sorrum or Adler to make it a more complete reunion then I would most prefer to get Brain back and maybe with his girlfriend being in the band now that will happen.

• Like 1

Part of the speed from the other night was likely adrenaline. I'm sure those tempos will settle a little bit after the first few shows are over. Slash also plays Welcome to the Jungle's intro a little faster these days - check out any performances of SMKC doing it.

Not a drummer, but I've played guitar for 30 years and teach high school music (haha)...

Steven played loose and reckless, lots of feel and groove that fit nicely with all the AFD tunes. He's the best GNR drummer by far. Not sure how he would have fit into the art rock ballads, but it's fun to imagine.

Matt was too stiff. More from the Neal Peart school in that everything was the same every show, right on the beat, like a human metronome that lacked that loose feel that Steven brought. Look at the ridiculous kit he schleped around in the 90's - a timpani drum? Gong? Seriously? Steven made way more with less. Early pics showed that he was playing clubs with just a floor tom, kick, and snare. Matt's repeated fills drove me crazy - you know the same one he recycled on Knockin on Heaven's Door, Don't Cry, November Rain-- "dah, dah, dah duh duh". Oh and don't get me started on "Gimme some reggae.." 

I saw Frank with nu-GNR in 2009 at Universal Amphitheater in LA. Loved it. He was closer to Adler but still had his own style and I thought the tunes grooved a lot more than I remembered from the UYI days. I don't care if he varies things up a bit - he's a musician, that's what he's supposed to do. I think he'll do great on the tour. 

As for Brain, I've only seen videos but he sounded awesome with GNR. That said, I saw him live with Primus in 98 right after he took over for Herb and he was terrible. Talk about changing signature fills around. Herb's crazy busy fills and double bass work was a huge part of Primus' sound and he simplified them all completely and played way more straight forward. 

Guys I'm a Steven fan through and through... But things being what they are... Even steven himself saying he won't learn the illusions songs aside from civil war (on Eddie trunk)... We need another guy. So you got sorum or frank... I love VR, I love the Illusions... Matt is great.

But honestly, if Axl's voice is on point, does anyone really give that much of a shit that its Frank over Matt? He and Axl butt heads... It could have led to a slash duff Matt clique... Fucked the cohesion. Maybe you need to watch the Tokyo drum solo again.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Guys I'm a Steven fan through and through... But things being what they are... Even steven himself saying he won't learn the illusions songs aside from civil war (on Eddie trunk)... We need another guy. So you got sorum or frank... I love VR, I love the Illusions... Matt is great.

But honestly, if Axl's voice is on point, does anyone really give that much of a shit that its Frank over Matt? He and Axl butt heads... It could have led to a slash duff Matt clique... Fucked the cohesion. Maybe you need to watch the Tokyo drum solo again.

Remember when Steven said that the whole reunion thing was still entirely utopian. If he went ahead and said yeah Ill do them all and then if they decided to get Matt when the reunion would maybe occur he would have no spots to play at all. He left the door open for himself, because of course he would want to be their full time drummer if you ask me

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

7 hours ago, smoking guns said:

Compare this

with this

thank god We got Slash back. But listen to Slash's drummer vs Frank. 

I see what you like about this, he's a great drummer. He's definitely more authentic to the record, very spashy ride cymbal work etc. Brent would have done a good job of too if he got the call. 

I think we have to remember that Slash, Duff and Axl agreed to using these musicians. Not saying we have to agree with their choices though, 90% of us hated ashba, a lot of us hated Finck etc.

From few clips I saw from Troubadour Frank played wrong tempo on hi-hat and ride in Jungle and Brownstone, fucked up intro and ending in Paradise city. He doesn't fit at all, guy is new Paul Tobias.

If you want classic GnR sound again, bring back Matt or Steven or that guy from Slash's band.

11 hours ago, bumblecool said:

You play drums and you think Matt is better than Brain? :lol:

Don't want to judge who is more technical, they are different style, Matt play simpler etc. but from what they done as Rock drummers so far Matt is far superior, Matt drumming in GnR is far better than Brain's, both live and on the record.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Say what?  Now no one complained about that?  Oh, my brother, you're terribly mistaken. :lol:

Frank should play the classics the way they're supposed to.  Pay respect to those who wrote the material, it's not yours.  Improve and do your original shit with the material you wrote, and if you didn't write any, well, too bad for you.

Slash plays the CD material like he wants or how he feels it. Frank does the same with the old material.

That's okay for them as musicians to put their spin on it.

We like it or we don't.

• Like 1