Frank Ferrer

15 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Coming from someone who is VERY critical of drummers, drum sounds and almost everything else to do with music (more specifically GnR). I like Frank, I've watched him live 3 times and each time he was solid, great feel, changed a few things here and there, but overall he was authentic to the original music.

He's my 2nd favourite GnR drummer, Adler wins out overall, but Frank IMO is more suitable for GnR than any of the other drummers (even if he wears a sideways hat :P). And I would be saying that regardless of whether Frank was included in the upcoming shows, or not. 

On top of all that he was very nice when I met him :D

My opinion on people not liking him is simple - people do not want to hear live music, they want to hear the record broadcast over a PA while the musicians they know and love stand in front of them so they can take a picture / video. Any deviation from the original and everybody's up in arms. When Frank plays Jungle in a Ska, or reggae style we can then say he's ruining the songs...but until then a little accent on a high hat, or extra hit of a tom-tom here and there is not the end of the world.

Disagree with your last paragraph. I speak for myself, but I love GNR alive and I don't have a problem with the style of a drummer as long as the song keeps its esscence. But Ferrer in WTTJ the other day almost ruin the song with that ska shit, this is GNR not Bob Marley.

• Like 2

Horrible drummer for GNR. He may be a nice guy, whatever. But I'd be almost willing to take back Sorum, so bad he fits the arrangements... ugh. That says it all.

Thing is: if you want to bring in a proper professional drummer, for whatever reason, THEN choose a real monster. I dunno, bring a Marco Minnemann. Doesn't make sense, but at least I know I'll respect the guy, cause I know he'll do it perfect. 

Anyway, the point is: this is GNR (supposedly). I want character, not musicianship. For that, I'll look somewhere else.

7 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Horrible drummer for GNR. He may be a nice guy, whatever. But I'd be almost willing to take back Sorum, so bad he fits the arrangements... ugh. That says it all.

Thing is: if you want to bring in a proper professional drummer, for whatever reason, THEN choose a real monster. I dunno, bring a Marco Minnemann. Doesn't make sense, but at least I know I'll respect the guy, cause I know he'll do it perfect. 

Anyway, the point is: this is GNR (supposedly). I want character, not musicianship. For that, I'll look somewhere else.

The issue with 'real monster' musicians is that a lot of them are outspoken and don't tolerate being given a disrespectful salary. This irritates the top of the hierarchical structure within GNR. 

4 hours ago, NicoRourke said:

Slash plays the CD material like he wants or how he feels it. Frank does the same with the old material.

That's okay for them as musicians to put their spin on it.

We like it or we don't.

Except, that you're comparing legendary guitarist Slash to nobody Frank Ferrer.  And classic, timeless songs from AFD and UYI to absolute shit songs from CD.

Frank can put his spin on his own songs.  Don't mess with the classics, unless you're a shit musician who is unable to perform songs right.

We get it or we don't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebones said:

Disagree with your last paragraph. I speak for myself, but I love GNR alive and I don't have a problem with the style of a drummer as long as the song keeps its esscence. But Ferrer in WTTJ the other day almost ruin the song with that ska shit, this is GNR not Bob Marley.

and playing it too fast.. And ruining the beginning... Dude sucks for this band.. Hopefully he turns it around in two days.. Brent Fitz would have been a much more viable option.. Hell, Sorum would have been better too and I am not a huge fan.. Guaranteed Duff and Slash would have preferred him... Don't want to ruffle Axl's feathers though.

19 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Except, that you're comparing legendary guitarist Slash to nobody Frank Ferrer.  And classic, timeless songs from AFD and UYI to absolute shit songs from CD.

Frank can put his spin on his own songs.  Don't mess with the classics, unless you're a shit musician who is unable to perform songs right.

We get it or we don't.

Take the CD songs out of the set.. Problem solved.. Then you will have room for more classics..

4 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

"Frank's playing too fast."

There's Duff and Slash on board (also they've been rehearsing for about 2 months) and do you guys really think it's Frank's decision the song's timing?

Drummer's set tempos

• Like 3

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 3:55 PM, SoulMonster said:

Frank apparently has one huge flaw as a drummer, a mistake he makes again and again that makes him truly wrong for GN'R, and that is a fundamental lack of being Steven Adler or Matt Sorum. And it is impossible to not criticise him enough for this failure.

that's not the problem, the real problem is that he sounds bad.

he's in the band because he is fortus' friend, there's no other reason.

as a drummer, he's mediocre. :shrugs:

Edited by supercool
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mikebones said:

Bob Marley was reggae ;) 

Entitled to your opinion. But i must point out that he's been playing it like that for almost 10 years.

Edited by Tom2112

5 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

The issue with 'real monster' musicians is that a lot of them are outspoken and don't tolerate being given a disrespectful salary. This irritates the top of the hierarchical structure within GNR. 

Like who? Any REAL monster musician is not a celebrity on tabloids. What salary do you think Marco Minnemann or Virgil Donati or even Vinnie Colaiuta would ask if offered the gig? Probably less than Ferrer, LOL

Outspoken? Again, the real monsters are humble. Freaks. But humbled by their divine talents.

2 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Like who? Any REAL monster musician is not a celebrity on tabloids. What salary do you think Marco Minnemann or Virgil Donati or even Vinnie Colaiuta would ask if offered the gig? Probably less than Ferrer, LOL

Outspoken? Again, the real monsters are humble. Freaks. But humbled by their divine talents.

Bill Ward, who was offered an 'unsignable contract'. 

40 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Bill Ward is no monster. Influential all you want for the very small niche band of his, but no monster at all. Never was, never will be.

Black Sabbath a small niche lol.. They are one of the most influential bands of all time... There isn't even an argument there..

From watching the jungle video I'd say that it wasn't his fault that he came in wrong as Axl threw him off - But if you watch him whacking the shit out of that hi-hat it just doesn't resonate the swing that is required if you ask me, he never seems on top of the beat when it's necessary for these songs we've all listened to countless times. 

I love Adler and Sorum, I mean that beat in Locomotive, Pretty Tied up.... Perfect Crime from Sorum and the hyped on-the-edge feel of Adler on AFD, Live like a suicide etc were great in their own right but I guess when push comes to shove I'm unsure if any of them fit the bill at this point. I reckon the drummer hasn't been found yet, Sorum on the whole is rather mechanical and a tad rudimentary and our kid Popcorn is just having it rough..... So I'd say recruit the hottest most badass drummer chick out there than can play the shit out of those songs!

Thunderchucker needs to keep on truckin' ;)