Red Dead Redemption 2

downzy

On 1/8/2019 at 12:05 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Why do you love Halo 4?

P.S. I'm still really enjoying Witcher 3(haven't played it til now)

Sorry I dont think I responded to this. I just found it really fun and it felt like Halo to me, still. At the time, the graphics were amazing and I liked the soft reboot/new art style. Felt fresh to me. Story was flawed but different and I get why people didnt like Infinity Slayer, but it still had that Halo feeling to me. I had a blast with it. Halo 4 had amazing Big Team Battle. Plus, they toned down a lot of the COD like stuff after release.

On top of a horrible campaign, 5 felt way too alien for me. Graphics and art regressed and it looks ugly as hell, maps are claustrophobic and lack individuality, and Big Team Battle is garbage. 

On 17/01/2019 at 1:35 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I just finished Chapter 6/the main story. I couldnt put the game down the entire chapter. 

What a game. The controls are wonky and the wanted system sucks, but for every mishap the game takes 10 steps forward. This is one of the only games I have played this generation that feels truly "next gen" after the 360 and PS4 console cycle. It may even surpass Witcher 3 for me. Awesome sequel to the first game where it, in my opinion, surpasses it in almost every way. The detail Rockstar has put in the world blows my mind. I really like the "realism".

I hear the epilogue portion of the game is very long so Im hoping I have a long way to go, still. Going to take my time with it. 

As I said earlier, I hope GTA VI or Red Dead 3 or whatever takes place in the 20 s-50s. A game with this high caliber story telling and detail set in that time period would be so cool. Thatd be my most anticipated game along with Cyberpunk

Also finished chapter 6 this week, would agree with all of this, the controls were annoying (shooting people I wanted to say hello to, the railcart with John and the fucking fishing!), but I loved my time as a cowboy for the past few months in this game and the overall experience was my favourite one from this gen of consoles. Looking forward to playing Red Dead Online now!

Finally finished the main story line the other night.  Sat down at 11:00pm thinking I'd play for an hour and go to bed.  Three and a half hours later...

Really loved this game from Chapter 4 onwards.  The second half of the game was definitely a lot more fun and the story really kept me invested.  Shame it all had to end.  

Now on to the epilogue.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, downzy said:

Finally finished the main story line the other night.  Sat down at 11:00pm thinking I'd play for an hour and go to bed.  Three and a half hours later...

Really loved this game from Chapter 4 onwards.  The second half of the game was definitely a lot more fun and the story really kept me invested.  Shame it all had to end.  

Now on to the epilogue.  

The epilogues are like a whole new game. Been playing for like hours amd my friend said im still at the start

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the epilogue a few days ago and now having fun running around the map completing side-missions and gathering collectibles.  

The game has really grown on me and I don't really want to leave it for another game at present.  I've gotten use to the control issues and might give it another run through at some point.  

I've also dabbled in the online world and not sure yet whether it's something I'll revisit.  It's interesting that other players you meet online generally keep their distance.

Perhaps maybe this will get @Dazey to pick up the game again:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/02/red-dead-redemption-2-racism-civil-war-rockstar.html

"Amid today’s culture wars, in which neo-Confederates vocally deny the brutality of slavery and Jim Crow, historical video games like Red Dead Redemption 2 don’t have the luxury of being strictly entertainment. Rockstar seems to have realized that sympathy for white nationalism has been trending up among young white men, a key demographic for the gaming industry. With these high stakes in mind, Rockstar is using RDR2 as a kind of virtual classroom, one in which players are taught in 4K about racism in American history and encouraged to take a stand."

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm definitely infected by the RDR2 bug.  Been loving the game a lot more now that the story is done.  Didn't think I'd shoot for 100 percent completion but I'm at 95.1 percent.  The challenges can be fun but also very frustrating.  But hey, I learned how to play Dominoes!  

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, RDR2 is one of the best games ever made, the amount of detail put into the world is truly unprecedented and dramatically raises the bar for large RPGs. But this was the first game that I honestly felt was too long. I was so fucking horse-riding fatigued by the time I got to the epilogue. I also just wasn't a fan of building up to a massive, emotional climax at the end of chapter 6 only for the epilogue to dial down the intensity back down to zero (see: house building montage).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-02-27 at 11:30 AM, Jakey Styley said:

Don't get me wrong, RDR2 is one of the best games ever made, the amount of detail put into the world is truly unprecedented and dramatically raises the bar for large RPGs. But this was the first game that I honestly felt was too long. I was so fucking horse-riding fatigued by the time I got to the epilogue. I also just wasn't a fan of building up to a massive, emotional climax at the end of chapter 6 only for the epilogue to dial down the intensity back down to zero (see: house building montage).

Yeah, completely agree.

I get why they made some of the narrative choices they did considering RDR2 is suppose to lead into RDR1, but it kind of leaves the player a bit of an anticlimactic ending.  I was concerned while playing the Epilogue that once finished I wouldn't be able to go back and finish up some of the side stories or knock off the challenges.  I guess they painted themselves in a corner by having the game end with Marston but needing to allow players the ability to keep playing once the story was done.  

It's a shame they didn't institute the same kind of fast-travel system RDR1 had.  At least during the epilogue you have almost an infinite amount of money that using trains or stagecoaches to get across the map without too much delay.  Another thing that kills this game is the AI intelligence and controls of horses.  Little consideration was given to having horses thing for themselves or any semblance of realistic physics with respect to where a horse can walk or not.  I can't count the number of times my horse would veer up a steep hill or mountain side (that no horse would ever be able to) before the game realizes the horse can't stand on such a steep grade and barrel both the horse and Arthur back down, sometimes resulting in the death of both.  Extremely frustrating.  Same with passing other characters in the game.  Too often another horse rider would veer at the last second into my charging horse, knocking everyone to the ground, resulting in a gunfight prompted a warrant for my character.  

But as you said, there's so much to this game that these issues don't prevent a strong attachment and admiration for what Rockstar accomplished.  I took a break from the game after the storyline but felt compelled to go back and explore much of the world that I didn't get a chance to while playing through the story.  Now I'm hung up on accomplishing 100 percent of the game; but these challenges are a pain.  It's a shame they decided to setup the challenge section sequentially.  It's frustrating that I have to do things again simply because that challenge wasn't unlocked at the time.  Herbalist challenge #9 requires picking every herb/flower that grows in the game.  I had already done that but now have to start over.  Dumb.

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

So you don't concur with the others that it's too realistic and feels like a chore? I'm still waiting on the fucking PC port.

No, I don’t think the game is a chore or too realistic for the sake of gameplay. 

I agree with what others have said about it having some minor flaws like the controls, the tedious horse treks and the over the top bounty system - but I’ve loved playing the game so much that those things haven’t mattered much at all. The characters and story are amazing. 

Hope you get that PC port soon! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally hit 100%

Took me two months after being the main story, logging a lot of hours at night to achieve what now feels like a rather meaningless achievement, lol.  

Think I'm going through RDR2 withdrawal.  Probably for the best I stopped playing.  

• GNFNR 1

On 3/20/2019 at 12:46 AM, downzy said:

Now at 97.5 percent done.  

All that remains is Herbalist #9 & #10, three more hunting challenges, and the exotics.  Game has essentially become one large scavenger hunt.

I'm doing as many of the challenges as I can as early in the game as possible (aka chapter 2)...it's pretty stupid you can't do herbalist 9 before getting access to

New Austin

You can actually get the Legend of the East outfit as early as the 2nd mission in chapter 4 if you have an old patch, which I do. Gonna be fun playing the last 2 chapters + epilogue with some extra benefits.

10 hours ago, Crazyman said:

I'm doing as many of the challenges as I can as early in the game as possible (aka chapter 2)...it's pretty stupid you can't do herbalist 9 before getting access to

Reveal hidden contents

New Austin

You can actually get the Legend of the East outfit as early as the 2nd mission in chapter 4 if you have an old patch, which I do. Gonna be fun playing the last 2 chapters + epilogue with some extra benefits.

Yeah, I wish I had spent more time completing the challenge before the entire story finished.  Some of the challenges are geared for some of the missions (particularly sharpshooter 9 I believe).  I had to replay some missions in order to accomplish a few challenges.

One thing to note, if you're an absolute completist, is to make sure you study and skin all the animals you can in Chapter 5.  Sucks you can't go back to Guarma after the fact (well, there is a way, but I'm not spending 45 minutes to enable the hack).  

• Like 1

Go figure, right as I posted about trying to get the outfit as early as possible some people found another way to get into New Austin...in chapter 2 (if that's actually a spoiler then I'll put the tags on). 

Looks like people are working on figuring a sure-fire way to make it work, but if they can you should be able to complete LotE as early as mid-way through chapter 3. Playing the second half of the game with it almost seems unfair :lol:

• 2 months later...

I finished story mode myself.

The Negative: I agree with the Horse riding be too long, and boring. The Beginning being also too long, and boring. The controls are frustrating and clunky. I hate having to get your rifle out of the horse over and over again. I also did not like the attempted RPG shit like eating, feeding+brushing your horse. To me, it didn't work.

Positive: The story was really great. Maybe a little too long and with some less interesting characters, but the dialogue between Arthur, Dutch and John was great. The graphics are phenomenal. Some of the levels are epic, I especially like the huge battles like the one with the Indian (Rainfalls?).

Overall I though it was a flawed masterpiece.

Has anyone played the updated online mode yet? I'm a huge GTA online fan (got the flying Deloren with missiles, yeah I'm that guy lol) , but I wasn't sure about it working on RDR2 with the clunky controls, and overall slower pace.

13 hours ago, Ace Spade said:

I finished story mode myself.

The Negative: I agree with the Horse riding be too long, and boring. The Beginning being also too long, and boring. The controls are frustrating and clunky. I hate having to get your rifle out of the horse over and over again. I also did not like the attempted RPG shit like eating, feeding+brushing your horse. To me, it didn't work.

Positive: The story was really great. Maybe a little too long and with some less interesting characters, but the dialogue between Arthur, Dutch and John was great. The graphics are phenomenal. Some of the levels are epic, I especially like the huge battles like the one with the Indian (Rainfalls?).

Overall I though it was a flawed masterpiece.

Has anyone played the updated online mode yet? I'm a huge GTA online fan (got the flying Deloren with missiles, yeah I'm that guy lol) , but I wasn't sure about it working on RDR2 with the clunky controls, and overall slower pace.

I heard red dead online was a steaming pile of goat puke :( 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I wish they'd just put RDR on PC/Switch. It was so great. 

I’ve never played RDR, I’d played Red Dead Revolver when that came out and hated it. I don’t know how I managed to miss out on RDR, probably life being busy at the time or something but after playing RDR2 I really wanted to play it - but it’s only available on PS Now and I don’t want to pay for that right now 😩

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

11 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I wish they'd just put RDR on PC/Switch. It was so great. 

I wish Rockstar in general would support the Switch. Porting the older GTA’s is a no brainer in my opinion- they’ve been ported to every console under the sun and would be easy money. Too bad all they care about is GTA online now. 

Id gladly rebuy and replay RDR2 if it came to Switch.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, downzy said:

that's cool for the people who waited for it.

I'm definately going to buy the game down the line, but I've got a pretty sizeable backlog of games to play, which i pretty much bought in bulk due to the low second hand prices