downzy

Red Dead Redemption 2

Don't get me wrong, RDR2 is one of the best games ever made, the amount of detail put into the world is truly unprecedented and dramatically raises the bar for large RPGs. But this was the first game that I honestly felt was too long. I was so fucking horse-riding fatigued by the time I got to the epilogue. I also just wasn't a fan of building up to a massive, emotional climax at the end of chapter 6 only for the epilogue to dial down the intensity back down to zero (see: house building montage).

• Like 1

On 2019-02-27 at 11:30 AM, Jakey Styley said:

Don't get me wrong, RDR2 is one of the best games ever made, the amount of detail put into the world is truly unprecedented and dramatically raises the bar for large RPGs. But this was the first game that I honestly felt was too long. I was so fucking horse-riding fatigued by the time I got to the epilogue. I also just wasn't a fan of building up to a massive, emotional climax at the end of chapter 6 only for the epilogue to dial down the intensity back down to zero (see: house building montage).

Yeah, completely agree.

I get why they made some of the narrative choices they did considering RDR2 is suppose to lead into RDR1, but it kind of leaves the player a bit of an anticlimactic ending.  I was concerned while playing the Epilogue that once finished I wouldn't be able to go back and finish up some of the side stories or knock off the challenges.  I guess they painted themselves in a corner by having the game end with Marston but needing to allow players the ability to keep playing once the story was done.  

It's a shame they didn't institute the same kind of fast-travel system RDR1 had.  At least during the epilogue you have almost an infinite amount of money that using trains or stagecoaches to get across the map without too much delay.  Another thing that kills this game is the AI intelligence and controls of horses.  Little consideration was given to having horses thing for themselves or any semblance of realistic physics with respect to where a horse can walk or not.  I can't count the number of times my horse would veer up a steep hill or mountain side (that no horse would ever be able to) before the game realizes the horse can't stand on such a steep grade and barrel both the horse and Arthur back down, sometimes resulting in the death of both.  Extremely frustrating.  Same with passing other characters in the game.  Too often another horse rider would veer at the last second into my charging horse, knocking everyone to the ground, resulting in a gunfight prompted a warrant for my character.  

But as you said, there's so much to this game that these issues don't prevent a strong attachment and admiration for what Rockstar accomplished.  I took a break from the game after the storyline but felt compelled to go back and explore much of the world that I didn't get a chance to while playing through the story.  Now I'm hung up on accomplishing 100 percent of the game; but these challenges are a pain.  It's a shame they decided to setup the challenge section sequentially.  It's frustrating that I have to do things again simply because that challenge wasn't unlocked at the time.  Herbalist challenge #9 requires picking every herb/flower that grows in the game.  I had already done that but now have to start over.  Dumb.

I am on chapter 6 and I feel like I am going to have separation anxiety at the end of it 

I’m spending a lot of time just fishing at the moment 

:( 

59 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I am on chapter 6 and I feel like I am going to have separation anxiety at the end of it 

I’m spending a lot of time just fishing at the moment 

:( 

So you don't concur with the others that it's too realistic and feels like a chore? I'm still waiting on the fucking PC port.

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

So you don't concur with the others that it's too realistic and feels like a chore? I'm still waiting on the fucking PC port.

No, I don’t think the game is a chore or too realistic for the sake of gameplay. 

I agree with what others have said about it having some minor flaws like the controls, the tedious horse treks and the over the top bounty system - but I’ve loved playing the game so much that those things haven’t mattered much at all. The characters and story are amazing. 

Hope you get that PC port soon! 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Now at 97.5 percent done.  

All that remains is Herbalist #9 & #10, three more hunting challenges, and the exotics.  Game has essentially become one large scavenger hunt.

• Like 1

Finally hit 100%

Took me two months after being the main story, logging a lot of hours at night to achieve what now feels like a rather meaningless achievement, lol.  

Think I'm going through RDR2 withdrawal.  Probably for the best I stopped playing.  

• GNFNR 2

Microsoft is allegedly releasing a Windows 10 update this April which will make Xbox One games work on PC, meaning it'll require little to no effort to port Xbox games to PC.

This could be why Rockstar is waiting to port. Hopefully this means backwards compatibility too so we can get RDR1.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 3/20/2019 at 12:46 AM, downzy said:

Now at 97.5 percent done.  

All that remains is Herbalist #9 & #10, three more hunting challenges, and the exotics.  Game has essentially become one large scavenger hunt.

I'm doing as many of the challenges as I can as early in the game as possible (aka chapter 2)...it's pretty stupid you can't do herbalist 9 before getting access to

New Austin

You can actually get the Legend of the East outfit as early as the 2nd mission in chapter 4 if you have an old patch, which I do. Gonna be fun playing the last 2 chapters + epilogue with some extra benefits.

10 hours ago, Crazyman said:

I'm doing as many of the challenges as I can as early in the game as possible (aka chapter 2)...it's pretty stupid you can't do herbalist 9 before getting access to

Reveal hidden contents

New Austin

You can actually get the Legend of the East outfit as early as the 2nd mission in chapter 4 if you have an old patch, which I do. Gonna be fun playing the last 2 chapters + epilogue with some extra benefits.

Yeah, I wish I had spent more time completing the challenge before the entire story finished.  Some of the challenges are geared for some of the missions (particularly sharpshooter 9 I believe).  I had to replay some missions in order to accomplish a few challenges.

One thing to note, if you're an absolute completist, is to make sure you study and skin all the animals you can in Chapter 5.  Sucks you can't go back to Guarma after the fact (well, there is a way, but I'm not spending 45 minutes to enable the hack).  

• Like 1

Go figure, right as I posted about trying to get the outfit as early as possible some people found another way to get into New Austin...in chapter 2 (if that's actually a spoiler then I'll put the tags on). 

Looks like people are working on figuring a sure-fire way to make it work, but if they can you should be able to complete LotE as early as mid-way through chapter 3. Playing the second half of the game with it almost seems unfair :lol: