Richard has been in GNR for 16 years quote

20 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

1 minute ago, axlsend said:

I think Axl was replying to people saying Richard shouldn't be there as he is not Izzy. Izzy obviously doesn't want to do this and Richard has been in the band a long time, he isn't a newbie.

Is it obvious that Izzy doesn't want to do this? That's not at all the impression that I received judging by his own comments. 

6 minutes ago, madison said:

Ummm - in every single promotion and ad for the GNR tour.

And before you claim - Oh, Axl had nothing to do with that - please. All marketing and promotion strategies would been approved during the planning process. And if Axl disagreed with any of them, he would have said so. 

Huh? Are you arguing that because independent media -- as in not the band itself -- chooses to refer to this regrouping as a "reunion of the original lineup" then it is wrong of Axl to vocally acknowledge Richard's longevity with the band on stage? That Axl as an employer shouldn't praise his "nuGuns guys" in public because the media has chosen to brand the lineup a "a reunion of the original lineup"? Are you being serious?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

"I spotted Slash using the public urinal. Does anyone think Axl must be preventing him from using the one in the dressing room?"

:lol:

1 hour ago, nonok said:

A lot of things are inappropriate.

It's inappropriate of diehard classic GNR fans to bring "Where's Izzy" posters to nearly every show and shove it in Richard's face that he's replaceable and a hired hand (which, I mean, can be kinda true, since a classic lineup reunion is 99% of fans' dream, and NuGuns is mostly Axl's solo project). It's perfectly understandable that fans want Steven and Izzy back (myself included) but that sign is just plain rude and disrespectful, and Axl is rightfully pissed and wants to show Fortus some support.

It's also inappropriate, however, to say that in front of Slash and Duff, or at least word it that way. Yeah, he's been in Guns for longer than Slash and Duff, but does that make him nearly as crucial and important as those two, or as anyone from the AFD lineup for that matter? He could have said something along the lines of "He's a fuckin' phenomenal guitar player" or something like that. I get that Axl's on way better terms with Slash and especially Duff and they probably brushed it off without much thought, but it's not really cool to say, in other words, "Hey, show this guy respect, he's never left me, unlike the other guys you've been asking for."

That's just my take on it though.

:thumbsup:

48 minutes ago, Gun Shy Assassin said:

Frank's drumming was abysmal, and Richard, while technically proficient, looked out of place and just plain silly when coupled with the alumni.

Slash's playing has been quite sloppy and if people were as critical about his playing than they are with Richard's moves and Frank's drumming they would want him to be replaced

34 minutes ago, madison said:

Matt is credited for the drums on Right Next Door, Dust N Bones, Don't Cry, Perfect Crime,You Ain't the First, Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, Double Talkin Jive, November Rain, Teh Garden, Garden of Eden, 14 Years, Yesterdays, Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, So Fine, Estranged, and You Could Be Mine.  .... Perhaps you missed the Illusions albums?  They're quite good - you should check them out. 

He is credited as a perfomer, not as a writer ;)

Edited by Gueli
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Padme said:

Come on Soul Monster you are smarter than that. Take for example the Coachella statement confirming GN'R. Axl original member and former members Slash and Duff. Just check the pic GN'R official FB posted yesterday. It`s the AFD logo with Axl, Slash and Duff skulls only. I think it's clear they are promoting this as the Axl, Slash and Duff reunion or regrouping or whatever anyone wanna call it. But it is about the 3 of them

That's what he's saying. He's not disagreeing with that. Read his quote again.

1 minute ago, Padme said:

Come on Soul Monster you are smarter than that. Take for example the Coachella statement confirming GN'R. Axl original member and former members Slash and Duff. Just check the pic GN'R official FB posted yesterday. It`s the AFD logo with Axl, Slash and Duff skulls only. I think it's clear they are promoting this as the Axl, Slash and Duff reunion or regrouping or whatever anyone wanna call it. But it is about the 3 of them

It's a hopeless cause, Padme. There are certain people who prefer to play word semantics in a desperate attempt to defend this mishmash lineup - when, in reality, we all know 99.9% of fans want to see all of the original members onstage together again - especially when all are still alive, healthy and want to be part of the reunion. 

My guess - when Izzy and Steven/Matt finally do join - these same people who fawned over Richard and Frank will be the same ones saying how great it is they're gone and how wonderful it is to see the "real" GNR again. 

3 minutes ago, axlsend said:

. Izzy obviously doesn't want to do this and Richard has been in the band a long time, he isn't a newbie.

Really? Then why did the normally-private and quiet Izzy break out of his comfort zone, sign up on Twitter and write tweets letting fans know that he wasn't asked to be part of the lineup?  If he didn't want to be part of it, why would he do that? 

6 minutes ago, Padme said:

They are definitely promoting the fact that Slash and Duff is back in the band and that this is a nostalgia trip, but they ae NOT promoting this as a "reunion of the original lineup", as Madison claimed, and hence one cannot argue that it is wrong of Axl to praise Richard for his longevity with the band as if that downplays the advertised reunion.

1 minute ago, Gueli said:

:lol:

:thumbsup:

Slash's playing as been quite sloppy and if people were as critical about his playing than theyare with Richard's moves and Frank's drumming they would want him to be replaced

He is credited as a perfomer, not as a writer ;)

This. You can't have something both ways.  Matt did an incredible job but he joined the band at its peak, just like dizzy. Neither guy created it. They were a part of keeping them at the top but they were not the original 5.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madison said:

It's a hopeless cause, Padme. There are certain people who prefer to play word semantics in a desperate attempt to defend this mishmash lineup - when, in reality, we all know 99.9% of fans want to see all of the original members onstage together again - especially when all are still alive, healthy and want to be part of the reunion. 

My guess - when Izzy and Steven/Matt finally do join - these same people who fawned over Richard and Frank will be the same ones saying how great it is they're gone and how wonderful it is to see the "real" GNR again. 

Really? Then why did the normally-private and quiet Izzy break out of his comfort zone, sign up on Twitter and write tweets letting fans know that he wasn't asked to be part of the lineup?  If he didn't want to be part of it, why would he do that? 

You and I can offer suggestions all day but we don't know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gun Shy Assassin said:

If this isn't a reunion, why coin the tour "Not In This Lifetime"? Not in this lifetime to what then?

Because it is a fun name for us who get it, even if it the implication that this is a full reunion of the AFD lineup (which was what he actually referred to when he said those words) isn't there? That's my best guess. It is certainly not evidence that Axl considers this a full reunion OR that this means the band refers to the new lineup as such.

I'm happy Richard n' Frank are in the band, since I've been following GN'R since '92. I now have a band encompassing all eras and sounding great.

A lot of you 'fans' are suddenly emmerging from God knows where and are disrespectful to the guys in the band, just because X or Y isn't there. I get it that we all have preferences, but there's a way of saying things. Some of you in this thread and others are just there to spill shit. And act like you know the reasons why we have what we have today. 

You don't.

• Like 1

Get over it kids. Not only is Fortus here to stay, he's treated with importance as he should. Sorry to burst your nostalgia bubbles. THIS AINT A REUNION! The faster you realize that Slash and Duff merely just rejoined GNR then you can make the decision ton support this or not. 

3 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

This. You can't have something both ways.  Matt did an incredible job but he joined the band at its peak, just like dizzy. Neither guy created it. They were a part of keeping them at the top but they were not the original 5.

Oh please. If Matt didn't play a key role in the band's success, he would never have been inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame as a band member. 

But if you want to play word semantics and claim "anyone" could have filled in and kept the band on top in the AFD/Illusions era - then how come Axl's "replacements" weren't able to continue that winning streak?  There's a reason that the AFD and Illusions lineup sold out stadiums - and Axl's replacement band was booking weddings, bowling alleys and small arenas.