07/03/16 - Chicago, IL - Solider Field

RussTCB

2 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

Are you talking about last night's concert? I find this ticket stuff interesting. Of the four concerts that have happened, only last night's was sold out that I was aware of and I don't remember seeing a thousand seats suddenly showing up on the floor. Was this a month/couple of weeks ago? I didn't look at the charts for a couple weeks around then. Then again if they were scattered about and not grouped together I might not have noticed.

No sorry.. The Foxboro show on July 19th. 

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Link for all to use:

http://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/04005081E02D4EAC?did=bounce&c=EML

Tickets as low as $10!!!!!!

Wow, if I didn't have to work tomorrow I would have considered taking a flight up. Probably could have had a heck of a time, airfare, ticket to the show and hotel for less than $500-$600

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I agree. It's a bit like buying a new pair of shoes at full price only to find them knocked down 50% a week later. It sucks, but if you didn't like the original price (or think it was worthwhile) then you shouldn't have paid it in the first place.

Pretty much this.  It does suck for the fans that paid face value but we live in a "supply and demand" society.  This is no different than anything else.  You have a product that needs to be sold by a certain deadline, it sells great initially, then sales slow down but you still have plenty of inventory the day before the deadline.....what do you do?

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cheesecake said:

This info escapes me, so I apologize for asking, but I'm curious to know even at the expense of making me look like a fool. 

How is it decided that a certain venue or place needs more than one show (like Chicago and Foxboro)? Is this decided by the band or the organizer? They did a survey of tickets demand or something prior?

Anyone?

4 minutes ago, cheesecake said:

Anyone?

I think a lot of research goes into it but typically bigger markets, they look at past histories with stadium shows to see how many concert goers there are, but the second shows are decided upon beforehand. They know these places will get a second show, but it looks better when you "add" shows to your tour, it's a sign that it's doing well and gains more interest. But it's important for tours like these in order to make extra money and cut down on cost, they now don't have to rebuild a stage they are there, the stage is ready reload the pyro's and do it all again on Sunday. It's the most profitable dates on the tour. 

So it's not really based on demand as much as it's based on research and past history for concerts in the city chosen, they know before hand which shows will get 2

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

My buddy just bought a 20th row floor seat for the price of our 200 level seats, but I couldn't care less. As long as we get a show like last night with a few changes, I'll be happy as can be. 

Wouldn't hurt trying to call Ticketmaster and asking for an upgrade...especially since they reduced the price of the tickets....you would have a legitimate reason to want one.  People have been very successful getting upgrades on other dates and the prices of those tickets weren't even reduced....so I think you have a pretty good shot.

Just now, Kasanova King said:

Based on how fast the initial show sells, size of the market and if there is availability/demand for a 2nd date. 

Oh you mean for both Chicago and Foxboro, they only added the second shows after they've sold out the first ones (really fast)?

That makes sense. Before, I thought they put up two shows for sale at once from the beginning and goers can decide which show(s) they want to attend.

5 minutes ago, cheesecake said:

Oh you mean for both Chicago and Foxboro, they only added the second shows after they've sold out the first ones (really fast)?

That makes sense. Before, I thought they put up two shows for sale at once from the beginning and goers can decide which show(s) they want to attend.

Pretty much....they could have something like "tentative" 2nd dates for certain cities prior to all the dates being announced, so they wouldn't schedule a different city on that date....then if the 1st show sells well and fast (not necessarily completely sold out, but close) then they just add the 2nd date.  Production costs, travel costs, etc are substantially less for a 2nd date as well, making it still profitable if it doesn't completely sell out.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

I bought 2 tickets in 234 the day they added the second show, total of $252. I called today and asked if I could upgrade to seats I was pulling in 105 for $198 total with today's deal. I was told that you couldn't exchange for cheaper tickets and I even told them I wasn't wanting a refunded difference, just the better seats, but they said no. I was however able to exchange for 3 tickets in 105 which totaled just under $300, so I upgraded my 2 tickets from 234 to 105 and got an additional ticket for about $40. Now the wife gets to join me and my dad all having our first GnR experience!

Edited by rolltide2014
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Based on how fast the initial show sells, size of the market and if there is availability/demand for a 2nd date. 

Not true always, look at Toronto for instance.  Toronto could easily do 2 shows yet we only got one.  Market is huge with 8million people within an hour drive, the show sold out first day sales and they were holding the stadium for a second date that never came.  For Toronto it might have more to do with our lagging dollar than what was mentioned above

1 minute ago, gunsguy said:

Not true always, look at Toronto for instance.  Toronto could easily do 2 shows yet we only got one.  Market is huge with 8million people within an hour drive, the show sold out first day sales and they were holding the stadium for a second date that never came.  For Toronto it might have more to do with our lagging dollar than what was mentioned above

Yeah, that's interesting.  I'm sure there's other factors involved.  Still surprising they didn't add a 2nd date if they had already reserved the stadium.   Toronto sold out in the first day?

I got "lucky" with the Vegas show, was not going to pay secondary market prices...and got skunked when they went on sale. My wife had an M Life card, and we snagged pit for the presale price. 

I got skunked for the first Chicago date, so I eagerly paid full price for tickets for the second show. I got lucky waiting for Vegas, not so lucky for the 2nd Chicago date. I don't feel screwed, I'm glad that others may now get to enjoy the show that maybe would otherwise not have if not for the price drop.  I'd be fine if they let folks in for free.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Yeah, that's interesting.  I'm sure there's other factors involved.  Still surprising they didn't add a 2nd date if they had already reserved the stadium.   Toronto sold out in the first day?

Yes sold out right away.  They have now added production holds but it was sold out.  Plus Toronto is a massive market.  I can only blame the dollar because it otherwise makes no sense to me especially considering the shitty sales on 2nd nights in USA

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Nice analogy but a concert is a bit different than a pair of shoes.  The promoters miscalculated this one big time and now are scrambling to try and fill as many seats as they can. There are 1000 seats suddenly available on ticket master for the front floor section for my show in Foxboro show that was "sold out".  A thousand more on stub hub and that;s just the front sections. Instead of charging $308 a ticket they could have charged $200 for these front sections which is still high but more reasonable and the would have sold all the seats and made their money anyway.

Whole thing is such a disgusting scam. I would be happy if someone to bombed the ticket master building.

That's just it - if these tickets weren't so grossly overpriced, they'd wouldn't have to resort to trickery to fill every seat. They're essentially charging Stones prices, but they don't have the legacy to be able to charge what the Stones do. Not to mention, even the Stones had a bit of trouble on the stadium tour last year filling every seat.

4 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

Besides the weak Canadian dollar right now, I still don't think a second Toronto show would have made much sense logistically. I know Rogers was supposedly on reserve for a second date, but I think maybe the band started second guessing whether that was even a good idea to begin with. From a logistical standpoint, regardless of whether the show fell on the 15th or 17th, both would present issues. If it were the 15th, they'd have shows three nights in a row. If it were the 17th, then they'd have 4 shows in 5 days. Take into account that's in the lead up to the NY gigs, which is the biggest market for the entire tour and they want to be on top of their game there. No one wants to admit it, but I think Axl is reaching the age where it's difficult to do back to back nights. This is the first tour where GN'R have spaced shows out so much, and it could be a part of what's attributing to strong vocals than 2011-2014. Three nights in a row, or four shows in five nights may have been overload.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

That's just it - if these tickets weren't so grossly overpriced, they'd wouldn't have to resort to trickery to fill every seat. They're essentially charging Stones prices, but they don't have the legacy to be able to charge what the Stones do. Not to mention, even the Stones had a bit of trouble on the stadium tour last year filling every seat.

Besides the weak Canadian dollar right now, I still don't think a second Toronto show would have made much sense logistically. I know Rogers was supposedly on reserve for a second date, but I think maybe the band started second guessing whether that was even a good idea to begin with. From a logistical standpoint, regardless of whether the show fell on the 15th or 17th, both would present issues. If it were the 15th, they'd have shows three nights in a row. If it were the 17th, then they'd have 4 shows in 5 days. Take into account that's in the lead up to the NY gigs, which is the biggest market for the entire tour and they want to be on top of their game there. No one wants to admit it, but I think Axl is reaching the age where it's difficult to do back to back nights. This is the first tour where GN'R have spaced shows out so much, and it could be a part of what's attributing to strong vocals than 2011-2014. Three nights in a row, or four shows in five nights may have been overload.

That's actually the first thing I thought of after looking at the schedule.  That would have been a lot of dates in a very short period of time and I'm guessing that had more to do with it than anything else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

i hope San Francisco has less than stellar sales so i can swoop in and grab 2 great pit passes close to the show. it's so close to me that it would be a piece of cake to make that concert *crosses fingers* :headbang:

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i hope San Francisco has less than stellar sales so i can swoop in and grab 2 great pit passes close to the show. it's so close to me that it would be a piece of cake to make that concert *crosses fingers* :headbang:

If it's like most the other dates, check Ticketmaster every few days.  They released additional floor seats for the Orlando show over the last few weeks and seem to be releasing other good seats, here and there.....and Orlando has sold well.  I'm guessing they are releasing some of the seats they had reserved for the VIP packages and will continue to release them gradually as the dates approach.

• Like 1

Just now, Kasanova King said:

If it's like most the other dates, check Ticketmaster every few days.  They released additional floor seats for the Orlando show over the last few weeks and seem to be releasing other good seats, here and there.....and Orlando has sold well.  I'm guessing they are releasing some of the seats they had reserved for the VIP packages and will continue to release them gradually as the dates approach.

thank you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Nice analogy but a concert is a bit different than a pair of shoes.  The promoters miscalculated this one big time and now are scrambling to try and fill as many seats as they can. There are 1000 seats suddenly available on ticket master for the front floor section for my show in Foxboro show that was "sold out".  A thousand more on stub hub and that;s just the front sections. Instead of charging $308 a ticket they could have charged $200 for these front sections which is still high but more reasonable and the would have sold all the seats and made their money anyway.

Whole thing is such a disgusting scam. I would be happy if someone to bombed the ticket master building.

I definitely agree with you there. Had they not been so greedy (Ticketmaster that is) in the first place they could have charged reasonable prices all around and not had to resort to this tactic. Fair for hardcore fans and casuals alike. All the same I'm completely unsurprised that they did this.

11 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

This show will have the most surprises I think. No way the band delivers the exact same set again in the same city for night 2. 

I think My Michelle, Yesterday's, used to love her all have the best chances of making it in

I actually think the set list might be shorter, they are going to see 20,000 empty seats and I am guessing they are not going to broing their A-game, I can see Coma left off the set or something like that

12 hours ago, troja said:

happy for people who could not afford the original price, but to be honest, this is just fucked up. i am a fan, so fuck me in the ass several times, thank you very much. 

exactly