Favorite GN'R drummer

Who's your favorite?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Guys,

This has already been done before, but given the amount of people that have joined in the last weeks, and given the amount of discussions about GN'R's drummers, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Personally, I really like Brain's work (live and on CD, even though a lot was writen by Josh Freese). I also enjoy Frank, whom in my opinion is a good mix between Steven's groove and Matt's 'metronomy'.

Edited by NicoRourke

23 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

Brain was the best drummer to ever be in GNR, but I think Frank is as Powerage5 said the best choice right now.

On a technical level Brain was certainly the best, but I don't think he was ever a particularly good fit for GN'R. I like him, just not in Guns.

Just now, Powerage5 said:

On a technical level Brain was certainly the best, but I don't think he was ever a particularly good fit for GN'R. I like him, just not in Guns.

Yeah I know what you mean. Certain songs, KOHD he always shined on, quite liked Jungle and Nightrain.

Adler for sure.. I never really cared for Matt but suffering through Frank has given me a new found appreciation for the guy.  I would kill to see him behind the kit over the current mess.

I am not too familiar with Brain but I was into NuGnR a bit at the beginning and don't recall him ever making me cringe. 

Adler
Sorum
Brain/Fred Coury

Frank

Edited by Tom-Ass

It really depends on the mood. They all bring something I like. I love Steven's for reasons I don't have to explain on this forum. Matt's drumming is so tight. I've grown to love it. It used to bother me the most but as I get older and the albums grow older, I really have grown to appreciate the context of that drum sound. Watching that interview with Matt where he was in the UYI studio and discussed where the idea of that fill came from (Elton John's Don't let the Sun go down on me) really sort of elevated the entire albums for me. It breathed fresh air into it. I get the "bombastic" approach. Big sounds. Stadiums. I think it works and I'm sure many will disagree, but I think it's helped those albums today. It's not the 70's sound Adler had which is great, and it's not that classic 90's Alternative STP-ish drum sound either. It's very hard rock, especially for the kids today being introduced. 

Off topic here, but Sorum's drumming in VR was just superb. His Fierce Joy album is good too. I dig it, he's got a nice mellow vibe.

Brain and Frank.. what can you say? Awesome. Brain really elevated the sound of GNR drumming to the next level and his drumming is really the root of that "newer" feel. I think it's fresh. Frank has been great. No complaints from me.

Purely for his feel, groove and the sound GNR became famous for it would be Steven Adler. Some of the others may be more technically accomplished, and I quite liked some of Matts power on the Illusions tracks. 

But for the type of gritty rock n roll that got most of us into Guns in the first place, Steven was intrinsic to that.

Edited by Original GNR