A vocal teacher's opinion on Axl's voice and technique (2012)

2 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

Yes, I posted this for the commends not for that guy. Of course he is not Axl and will never be.

no one is, was or could be Axl. not ragging on you for posting it but after reading what that vocal coach was saying I had expected something somewhat better than what the singer was doing. it was quite a shock! but welcome to the forum, hope to see more posts from you :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Apollo said:

Lol. I don't even have to read the responses to know how they will play out. 

Because the guy was negative about Axl:

this guy doesn't know shit

who cares what this guy says 

fuck this guy, he sucks 

A professional vocal coach gives his professional pinion. But because he doesn't worship Axl, then posters (with no vocal training at all) will think they know better than the professional. Too funny. 

Ken Tamplin can sing!

I agree with your point 100% Apollo; no matter how good/qualified Tamplin is some people will dismiss him as a nobody who knows nothing.

• Like 1

The guy is fuller of himself than Axl and apparently belongs to the group of people who think that if they announce someone famous has no talent, technique or whatever, it makes them look even more proffessional. People can criticise Axl all they want as far as I'm concerned but when they are full of themselves assholes I will not refrain form calling them so.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Broken falsetto, no mask, head voice, bad singing, weak vocals, Sweet Child...

"Bad singing." :lol:

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Vocal mask'' must be the technical term for what is known in gnr parlance, 'the rasp''. So now you know?

Axl vocal masks the fuck out of Thunderstruck.

• Like 1

Also found this from 2010. He was asked about Axl and Brian Johnson

Axl Rose and Brian Johnson singing technique

By KTVA On August 4, 2010 · No Comments · In About the voice, How To Sing, KTVA Blog

Hey Ken. I’ve been practicing with your beginner dvd for about 2 months. I love it, and I’ve noticed big results. I plan on getting your intermediate lesson as soon as I get the scratch together. What are your thoughts on those rock singers with a heavily distorted tone (Brian Johnson/Axl Rose)? Are they using falsetto with glottal compression to get that dirty, powerful sound?? Thanks!!

Ken Tamplin

Brian and Axle are two completely different kinds of singing.

I’m surprised Brian still has a voice. He has been able to use compression and combine a mix of head and chest that is true, however if you notice when he sings live, he loses virtually all his upper register.

Axel has already lost most of his range just like everyone else from that era… However, you CAN sing like either one of those great singers, Axel focuses mainly on something called “Mask”. This is the idea of placing all of your vowel sounds into the front of your face literally smiling when you sing.

Brian Johnson literally thins out the lower register of his voice which enables him to sing high with glottal compression. I cover this concept in stage 3 for dudes series.

Goddamn.

I will take this man's opinion a bit more serious if that girl is one of his students.

On 5/23/2016 at 11:08 AM, Apollo said:

Lol. I don't even have to read the responses to know how they will play out. 

Because the guy was negative about Axl:

this guy doesn't know shit

who cares what this guy says 

fuck this guy, he sucks 

A professional vocal coach gives his professional pinion. But because he doesn't worship Axl, then posters (with no vocal training at all) will think they know better than the professional. Too funny. 

:lol:

Axl fanatics are a hilarious bunch.

• Like 1

On May 23, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Asia said:

The guy is fuller of himself than Axl and apparently belongs to the group of people who think that if they announce someone famous has no talent, technique or whatever, it makes them look even more proffessional. People can criticise Axl all they want as far as I'm concerned but when they are full of themselves assholes I will not refrain form calling them so.

Case and point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Goddamn.

I will take this man's opinion a bit more serious if that girl is one of his students.

:lol:

Axl fanatics are a hilarious bunch.

Opinions only matter if the person is praising Axl. Anybody who says something negative is just a hater with no talent trying to promote themselves. It's funny to watch. The sad thing is that I'm not exaggerating. There is a group on here who really do base their opinions totally on whether or not the person says something bad or good about Axl. Adults, not kids. 

• Like 2