GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Cl_0cIIWYAAdRm8.jpg

And this from a 1989 interview, where Axl talks about having children:

RS: Would Axl Rose make a good father?
Axl: Would Axl make a good father? Um... not yet. I love kids, but I think I would be too hard on them because... A lot of people say that when they're raised a certain way, "I'll never be like that with my children," but then those things seem to come out, whether you want them to or not, cause that's how you were taught to raise a kid. And I'm still wrestling with those things, and until I come to terms with them and feel like I could give a child the upbringing that it would deserve, I don't want to attempt it. Like I've said before, I'm so much of a perfectionist I don't want to attempt it and end up smacking it when I shouldn't have, or something. I don't want to give a child anything bad to look back on except for what may have happened in just the natural course of life. I don't want to be in the situation of, "Yeah, well if I wouldn't have locked him in his room..." You see, I get along with my father real well now. Actually, he's my stepfather, but he raised me. But I see some of the pain that he has to go through in dealing with the way he raised me, and the pain that I have to deal with in getting along with my father, and thinking back on certain things that happened every now and then, and how mad I get. I don't want those things to happen.

It was when he was trying to have (or thought that he had) a good relationship with his stepdad, but he was afraid of himself that he could be like him. Three years later he had changed his views on both his stepdad and having children and he believed that he would be a good father (and stepfather to Dylan). From the 1999 RS article it seems that he still wanted a family. Probably in the 00s he chose consciously not to have children because of his mental state back then or because he believed it wasn't his thing.

I love Slash's and Duff's faces, what are you thinking while Axl is sound-checking? :lol:

I think you hit the nail on the head on the children things, in the 90s i think with the band imploding around him he consoled himself with the thought of Stephanie and Dylan but if in the 2000s things were as bad as the article posted by @Lumikki said that he wanted to check himself in a psych hospital, i think he abbandoned the idea because he's aware he's not stable and it wouldn't be a good environment for children.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crowecow said:

But those aren't models. They are friends of Fernando's wife, some of them came from Brasil to attend the Coachella shows.

That picture was taken at the after party were Fernando and his wife introduced them to Axl. One of them said he was very kind and sweet and was sharing stories about his cats and GnR old times.

So from this and various other accounts of people/girls who met Axl, I'm concluding that his top 3 favorite discussion topics are:

1) Slash

2) His cats. Sometimes also his wolves and dogs. But mostly the cats.

3) Stories from back in the day.

1) and 3) also often appear combined into one thing. Axl's absolute favorite story to tell would probably be a story about Slash from back in the day involving cats. :lol:

You know that to ask him about now!

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

And this from a 1989 interview, where Axl talks about having children:

RS: Would Axl Rose make a good father?
Axl: Would Axl make a good father? Um... not yet. I love kids, but I think I would be too hard on them because... A lot of people say that when they're raised a certain way, "I'll never be like that with my children," but then those things seem to come out, whether you want them to or not, cause that's how you were taught to raise a kid. And I'm still wrestling with those things, and until I come to terms with them and feel like I could give a child the upbringing that it would deserve, I don't want to attempt it. Like I've said before, I'm so much of a perfectionist I don't want to attempt it and end up smacking it when I shouldn't have, or something. I don't want to give a child anything bad to look back on except for what may have happened in just the natural course of life. I don't want to be in the situation of, "Yeah, well if I wouldn't have locked him in his room..." You see, I get along with my father real well now. Actually, he's my stepfather, but he raised me. But I see some of the pain that he has to go through in dealing with the way he raised me, and the pain that I have to deal with in getting along with my father, and thinking back on certain things that happened every now and then, and how mad I get. I don't want those things to happen.

It was when he was trying to have (or thought that he had) a good relationship with his stepdad, but he was afraid of himself that he could be like him. Three years later he had changed his views on both his stepdad and having children and he believed that he would be a good father (and stepfather to Dylan). From the 1999 RS article it seems that he still wanted a family. Probably in the 00s he chose consciously not to have children because of his mental state back then or because he believed it wasn't his thing.

He'd actually changed his mind about having children a year or so later already. After Erin had her miscarriage, he wanted to try again for another baby as soon possible. I remember him saying that in an MTV interview.

Someone also posted another interview here in this thread or some other thread from around 1988 where he also talks about his relationship with his stepfather and how his stepfather is his "best friend" now. And the thing about him buying land in Wisconsin together with his stepfather with the Appetite money. I always thought it was fascinating how he went from trying so hard to make his relationship with his family work and find something positive about it to completely cutting them off and calling them monsters in the span of 2 or 3 years. Not that I'm blaming him or anything. Sometimes it's better to cut people out of your life. And if what Tom Zutaut said is true, then he shouldn't have been trying to have a good relationship with his stepfather (and mother) anyway. Some things can't and shouldn't be forgiven as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 3

Do you read the Angus' interview?

"Axl is used to running his own ship. Did you have to talk to him about how you do things – like being on time?
He's been really good. He prepares himself, ready to go. We sit and chew the fat before we get on, work out what songs we want to do. It's gotta be fun for him, and for us. In the beginning, he was confined [with a foot injury] to that chair he borrowed from Dave Grohl. But as soon as he could, he was out and moving." 

the Grandpa Angus saga continues!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cheesecake said:

I think the magazine (RollingStone if I'm not mistaken) mentioned above was owned by Peter Brandt not Grant... though I believe you accidentally clicked G as it's near B on the keypad/board.

It wasn't Rolling Stone, it was Interview Magazine and yeah, it was a keyboard lapsus, I wanted to type Peter Brandt and I typed Led Zeppelin manager's name instead :D

I've always thought he has never made amends with Mr Bailey...so...great to know something new albeit it being actually old LOL.

1 hour ago, Frey said:

Someone also posted another interview here in this thread or some other thread from around 1988 where he also talks about his relationship with his stepfather and how his stepfather is his "best friend" now. And the thing about him buying land in Wisconsin together with his stepfather with the Appetite money. I always thought it was fascinating how he went from trying so hard to make his relationship with his family work and find something positive about it to completely cutting them off and calling them monsters in the span of 2 or 3 years.

Yeah, and there are two other positive references to his stepdad in interviews from that period (1988-89). 

this from the 1988 RS article/interview:

Axl now considers L. Stephen Bailey his "real dad," but he discovered his hidden past at a time when he was growing his hair, playing in bands, and fighting with his parents. So, Bill Bailey began calling himself W. Rose.

and this, also from RS, where Axl said that his stepdad liked WTTJ:

Right now I don't want to have a child, because I can't give it enough time. But I'd want him to talk about what he listened to with me, and have him show me new things, and me show him new things. He could play me the Screaming Banshees From Hell, and I could play him Jimi Hendrix or something. We could talk about the music. We'd talk about things together. I think it's a parents job to raise their child. My father likes "Welcome to the Jungle." Ten years ago, if a song like that was caught in our house, man, it was over. But I can't hold how he once felt against him.

Oh...the sound check picture has made its round in the Social Media thread. I believe it was taken before he broke his foot.

I don't know, maybe... But Slash wore this shirt at one of the first shows of the NITL tour, Axl wears his ripped jeans and also the stage set is that of the tour.

EDIT: I see @oaka provided the info.

3 hours ago, Frey said:

What kind of crazy stuff happened then exactly? I keep seeing references to this, but the only thing I know about is him not showing up in Philly and the tour subsequently getting cancelled.

And also this incident where he took his pants of on stage for some reason and stood around singing with his pants around his ankles :confused:

- The Vegas 2001 show incident, when Slash wasn't allowed in because, according to Axl, he had his guitar with him and he would sabotage the show.

- The rant about Slash and the old band, where Axl seems very nervous:

- At that period (2001-2002) Axl kicked out of his life most of the people that were near him since the old days: Robert John, Doug Goldstein, Tom Zutaut (Del James and Marc Canter were the exceptions). Craig Duswalt may have left at that time as well; although he doesn't say in his book when exactly and why he stopped working for Axl, he mentions that he was around up to a point in the early CD era and after that he and Axl met again in 2006.

- There is also the crazy story Tom Zutaut said in the BBC doc (that Axl believed that it was someone else in Slash's body). Zutaut hasn't spoken with Axl since 2001 (at least as far as we know), so he couldn't know what Axl believed in 2015, but what he said may have been true at the time he was still around. He has also said that everyone back then was mocking Axl behind his back because of his crazy beliefs. There is an Axl interview from 2001, where he said that his relationship with Slash fell out when Slash "died" from the overdose:

The start of the fight between them, was the hospilization of the guitarist in 1992, because of an overdose.

- Do you remember that movie "Pulp Fiction"? He needed to get an injection in the heart like in the movie - he said.

In later interviews Axl didn't seem to believe such a thing though, because his negative accounts on Slash (for example that he wanted to "take over the band") were going back before the 1992 incident.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

i have a tank top with the "get back" cover on it, great taste Slash! :lol:

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

this from the 1988 RS article/interview:

Axl now considers L. Stephen Bailey his "real dad," but he discovered his hidden past at a time when he was growing his hair, playing in bands, and fighting with his parents. So, Bill Bailey began calling himself W. Rose.

and this, also from RS, where Axl said that his stepdad liked WTTJ:

Right now I don't want to have a child, because I can't give it enough time. But I'd want him to talk about what he listened to with me, and have him show me new things, and me show him new things. He could play me the Screaming Banshees From Hell, and I could play him Jimi Hendrix or something. We could talk about the music. We'd talk about things together. I think it's a parents job to raise their child. My father likes "Welcome to the Jungle." Ten years ago, if a song like that was caught in our house, man, it was over. But I can't hold how he once felt against him.

It's normal that abused children try to tell themself everything is alright and that "i don't know how hard it was to raise me" and "everything is in the past and it doesn't count now", i'm happy he understood that he didn't deserve the abuse and he cut out the toxic presence of his step-father from his life.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, giuls said:

i have a tank top with the "get back" cover on it, great taste Slash! :lol:

It's normal that abused children try to tell themself everything is alright and that "i don't know how hard it was to raise me" and "everything is in the past and it doesn't count now", i'm happy he understood that he didn't deserve the abuse and he cut out the toxic presence of his step-father from his life.

Exactly this. 

There have been cases where kids have been horrifyingly abused and taken away from their parents, and they still want their mom or dad back, because they're trying to rationalize and preserve that relationship. Wanting one's parent or parents to be there for them seems to be a fairly universal instinct. There's also a lot of pressure in our culture to always forgive family even when they're toxic because "you only have one family," etc. I mean, how many times do we hear about someone dreading family get togethers because there's that one relative who is a nasty, abusive POS but everyone is expected to tolerate it?

I think in Axl's case, part of the catalyst for finally making the break might have been finding out about the sexual abuse that his sister went through. He mentioned in the Rolling Stone interview that he didn't know about it until the early 1990s and that seems to be around the same time he cut those ties.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, killuridols said:

I don't think Axl is incapable of giving love like that but there must be something with him that prevents him from finding real lasting love. What he does with the models is not love. They don't love him. None of them care about him, not even as a friend. Everything's so temporary, arranged and posed that, aside from the momentary fun and "good time" they all get, there's nothing beyond that.

That emptiness you feel after everyone is gone and you go back to your lonely dark home... I cant really see what's so amazing about that. :shrugs:

My thoughts.I couldn't have said it better.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

Ooooooh Tht reminds Me story of Axl bails out Slash on Slash book

Yes it was during the early days of the band when the police stopped the car Slash was in and they found a syringe and brought him to jail.

Axl and Marc had to pay the caution. It's nice to see how they took care for each other especially Axl being always there for Slash and vice versa .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stella said:

Not really - he has no legal or emotional obligations to those people and once he goes home, he's done with them. Someone else is organizing that stuff; he's probably not worried about the logistics. He has a lot of intellectual and real property that he needs to protect, and he's also emotionally vulnerable, it seems - staying away from getting into serious entanglements with romantic partners who could prey on his emotions and take him to the cleaners financially is probably a very smart thing for him to do.

Axl DOES have long-term relationships, of the familial and platonic variety - he's had people like Del, Dizzy, some of his Indiana friends, his siblings, and Team Brazil around him for decades. He was friends with Marc Canter for a good 20 years before that fell out. So he clearly does know how to emotionally invest in people and want to keep them around for the duration. Are some of those people on his payroll? Sure, but considering he's called Beta "Mom" and the Lebeis kids name their children after him, there's an emotional stake there too. I've read statements from other people about how much Del and some of these others love Axl, and Marc Canter has said similar things. Also, those people hung around during the years when Guns N' Roses frankly wasn't doing anything and Axl was out of the public eye entirely.

He's not going back to a lonely dark apartment - he has friends and family; he has his cats; he has colleagues he enjoys working with. Axl's got way more going for him in life than a lot of people. Not everyone wants to be in a long-term romantic relationship and not everyone needs to. It's one part of life; not everything.

I find the reasoning in your first paragraph like coming from a pretty "cold" point of view. I don't want to offend you with what I'm saying but I don't think it is good to go around in life feeling so paranoid about everyone and preventing yourself from emotionally engaging to people just because you fear everyone's "out to get you".

There are plenty of legal ways to protect your wealth and he probably has all of that under control. But I don't see how this is a good excuse to not become romantically involved with a person. It's not like you're gonna marry someone out of the blue. It takes time to get to that point and some people don't ever get married, although they spent a lifetime together.

The relationships you count as long term to prove Axl can have those are not what I was talking about. We all have families, friends and coworkers. However, none of those relationships could count as romantic or even come close to what is like to have a life partner. 

Del, Dizzy, Team Brazil, etc. they are all financially depending on Axl, so it's really hard to tell until what point they are there for him or for the money. In the end, Axl is their boss. Not many people out there want to upset their boss, lose their status, lose the big chunks of money they get, for doing a job that doesn't require much talent or education. And all of those people have families to support. It's not easy to walk out from a steady income when you've got bills to pay and mouths to feed.

I'm not saying there isn't genuine love for Axl coming from any of them, but thehere will always be that hook in the relationships. Unless they figure out how to do it without Axl.

Yes, he's coming back to a "lonely dark apartment". Family and friends are not there at 3am. The Lebeis are grown ups now. Vanessa and Fernando don't live with Axl anymore. They have their own spouses and children. Del has wife and children. Almost everybody have their own thing going on.

I guess the only one left is Beta. And even her has a new priority in her life: her grandchildren. She seems to be amazed about that.

It may be true that Axl has got way more things going on in his life than most people, as in exciting cool fun things to do not everybody can afford or dream of, but other people may have simpler lives that are more fulfilling, less stressing and rewarding than what Axl has.

When we are young we barely care about consequences in our lives. We feel like we're gonna live forever. Death and disease are things that don't ever cross our minds. We feel invincible and we feel we will never need anyone.

The other day I read in the news here about the sad death of a 70 years old teacher. She was an old lonely woman, with no family. She lived with 30 cats.

She was found dead at home and the cats had eaten her face.

:unsure:

4 hours ago, Frey said:

And also this incident where he took his pants of on stage for some reason and stood around singing with his pants around his ankles :confused:

Oh my god.

Those years, 2000, 2001 and 2002, I consider them the worst years of Axl Rose. He was really crazy back then and his band was a freak show.

It was so painful to be a fan of the band during that time..... I hated everything about it. Those huge football shirts were such a turn off. Looks like he's wearing something underneath those pants and he wanted to show it off. I can't make what it is that's he's wearing under.

3 hours ago, Crowecow said:

But those aren't models. They are friends of Fernando's wife, some of them came from Brasil to attend the Coachella shows.

That picture was taken at the after party were Fernando and his wife introduced them to Axl. One of them said he was very kind and sweet and was sharing stories about his cats and GnR old times.

They ARE models. Fernando's wife is currently working as a model.

10 hours ago, killuridols said:

He's no different than any other Hollywood star. He's also wearing a watch by a brand that loaned him that watch, for him to show off onstage, and that way he promotes the brand

Vincent Perriard, who co-founded a company watch manufacturer called HYT, says that “Axl is a hugefan of watches in general,” which is surprising, given his penchant the singer’s proclivity for taking his  sweet ass time getting anywhere or doing anything ever.axl-rose-skull-watch.jpg

ANYWAY,  the aforementioned HYT, who are known for using really neat-o hydromechanical  technology, will partner with Rose a limited edition variation of one of the pieces from their “Skull Collection.” 

No word on how much the watches will cost… but the Skull designs that aren’t part of this limited edition  collection will already run you roughly $100,000, according to the cleverly named A Blog to Watch. So they will probably not be cheap. But on the plus side, they also don’t indicate minutes. Come to think of it, that’s probably why Rose likes them. :lol:

skull-red-eye.png

5 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

It's sweet :wub:. They can join this tea club:

Slash+Ozzy+Osbourne+Slash+Enjoy+Tea+Dorc

I can imagine Axl and Angus having tea party gossiping like old ladies:

Axl: "Grandpa, have you seen the women's thread? They're fucking obsessed with me"

Angus: "William! Watch your mouth! How many times have I told you that you shall not use the f word?"

Axl: "Ok, Ok. I just...y'know. They stalk me. All the time."

Angus: "Drink the tea, my boy. It will calm you down....Yiss, yiss. Better? Good boy. They don't stalk you. Yiss? You know, they, you know, I mean...yiss, they want to help you. Yiss?"

Axl: "What the fuck?"

Angus: "WILLIAM!!! Once more and you're without dinner tonight? Yiss? And forget the ice-cream I wanted to buy you after the show!"

Axl: "That's not my fault, Slash taught me all the cross words back in the day. Even my cats talk like that." (See @Frey? All his favourite topics in two sentences B-))

Angus: "Yiss, he is a bad boy too. I want to have a talk with him. William, we all know that you're doing great with ACDC but there's one thing that is ruining it all"

Axl: "...:unsure:..."

Angus: "Yiss. Let's talk about your hats!"

Axl: insta3.gif

OMFG I JUST DIED!!!! :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

19 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

It's sweet :wub:. They can join this tea club:

Slash+Ozzy+Osbourne+Slash+Enjoy+Tea+Dorc

I can imagine Axl and Angus having tea party gossiping like old ladies:

Axl: "Grandpa, have you seen the women's thread? They're fucking obsessed with me"

Angus: "William! Watch your mouth! How many times have I told you that you shall not use the f word?"

Axl: "Ok, Ok. I just...y'know. They stalk me. All the time."

Angus: "Drink the tea, my boy. It will calm you down....Yiss, yiss. Better? Good boy. They don't stalk you. Yiss? You know, they, you know, I mean...yiss, they want to help you. Yiss?"

Axl: "What the fuck?"

Angus: "WILLIAM!!! Once more and you're without dinner tonight? Yiss? And forget the ice-cream I wanted to buy you after the show!"

Axl: "That's not my fault, Slash taught me all the cross words back in the day. Even my cats talk like that." (See @Frey? All his favourite topics in two sentences B-))

Angus: "Yiss, he is a bad boy too. I want to have a talk with him. William, we all know that you're doing great with ACDC but there's one thing that is ruining it all"

Axl: "...:unsure:..."

Angus: "Yiss. Let's talk about your hats!"

Axl: insta3.gif

:rofl-lol: 

You are officially my favorite poster on this forum.

• Like 1