GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

5 hours ago, cheesecake said:

Wonder why Dylan doesn't take after his biological father's name...after all he's in good terms with his father and even lived with him for some time. I know Brant adopted him but he can change it if he wants to.

Glad to know at least ONE kid of hers turned out normal. And that's the one who had lived away from her at times, growing up. Says a lot about her capabilities of being a mother. Not a trait that Axl should be looking for for a woman he envisioned to be the mother of his kids. 

She also has a daughter right? Wonder how that one turned out.

@killuridols happy to know you finally got your tix after all the planning you put together. Don't forget to share all the juiciest details from that show... pix...pix...pix....please...

Also hope you get to catch them at their hotel like you want to.:thumbsup:

I guess because the name Brant opens doors for him, making things easier for him to achive his goals

@Blackstar Talking about film influences on Axl, I thought maybe you might know about this one.....Frances. 

I can't be 100% sure because I read about this so long ago, but I remember reading Axl was obsessed with a film about a woman who suffered a complete mental breakdown, she was institutionalised and had a lobotomy performed on her which made her worse. Lots of other terrible things happened to her, too. Even worse, it was a true story.

I think it is this film that Axl identified with, it could be another, but the story is the same as the one he was reportedly obsessed with - woman sought professional help - taken to an asylum - they abused her and performed a forced lobotomy. 

In the book I read (must be about 18yrs ago and I've since lost the GN'R book I read it in) they said Axl couldn't be convinced to go and get professional help, one reason was because he really thought they would just do things to him, like a lobotomy. It was a pretty sad read, but it did make sense as to why he was frightened to go to a psychiatrist. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cheesecake said:

Her daughter's pretty. Hope she grows up being a woman with a lovable character.

She's 12 now. How old are Erin's?

She is very cute. There's a picture of Stephanie when she was her age, and they look exactly the same. 

About Erin's kids; based on her instagram (she always congradulates them on their birthday) her son is 20, her older daughter should be 15/16 and the little one, I don't know 7?

3 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Dylan looks just like her too...her genes are strong

He is very handsome and really does look like her. Looking at the pic of him with a guitar and a red plaid shirt... right in the feels....

3 minutes ago, nn18 said:

He is very handsome and really does look like her. Looking at the pic of him with a guitar and a red plaid shirt... right in the feels....

Luke Perryesque hairline :thumbsup:

I didn't know Erin has a grown up son! I thought she only has 2 cute girls. What year did she miscarry Axl Jr? Should be in his/her mid 20s right if it lived.

@MillionsOfSpiders, yes, I mentioned Frances in my post among other titles in brackets, because I remember Axl referring to this movie in the first extended piece Rolling Stone had made about the band. Here's the excerpt:

A psychiatrist has diagnosed Axl's problem as manic-depressive disorder, a condition that can cause people to swing from impulsive, reckless, and argumentative fits to catatonic and suicidal periods. "I can be happier than anybody I know," Axl says. "I can get so happy I'll cry. I can get completely opposite, upsetwise." Many manic-depressives turn to drugs or alcohol to lessen the pain of their illness.
Although Axl takes lithium to combat the disorder, he thinks it's ineffective and claims to be in control of his moods. "Did you ever see that movie - I think it was Frances?" Frances Farmer, an actress, was institutionalized because of her emotional outbursts. "I always wonder if, like, somebody's gonna slide the knife underneath my eye and give me the lobotomy. I think about that a lot."

Another interesting thing about this biopic (which is great btw), is that the actual person whose life it is based on, the actress Frances Farmer, lived the last years of her life in Indiana (she died in 1970) and her last role was in a play at a Lafayette theater. Maybe Axl had heard about her before the movie came out.

And yeah, Axl was terrified of getting professional help. Apart from the movie and the effect it may have had on him, it was human to be afraid, given the still existing common perception of any mental illness as "craziness" and everything that goes with the label. And this is why I think he felt relieved believing that he could find help in "regression therapy", even though he might not necessarily believe all these things deep down.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

@Blackstar. Sorry to make you repost. I'm trying to read through the posts whilst being climbed all over by my three year old :lol:

Yes, you see all the pictures from inside asylums etc and read about the procedures and methods they could use. Plus the fact they can lawfully keep you locked away, if they want, and forcibly medicate you. It must be a frightening thought that you might have to go into a place like that. 

I've seen reviews about the book and movie, some things in it, like the lobotomy are apparently untrue. It's still a terribly sad story though, the poor woman. I didn't know she went to live in Indiana and her last play being in Lafayette. He probably did know about her before the movie then. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Then I don't know, maybe you and @Frey have a point and the actual story was worse for him than he said and he buried it out of shame for not having been strong enough to prevent it, while when his father supposedly molested him he was a helpless 2-year-old child. 

I think there might be some truth to this. It's hard for guys to talk about sexual assault. Not that I'm saying it's easy for women, but if you're a guy... There's more of a stigma attached to it. And it was even harder still in the 80s and 90s compared to now.

And in that way it really is easier to talk about getting raped as a baby, because no one's going to blame you or think less of you for that, even if you're a guy. Meanwhile, if you're a guy and 17 already, you're gonna get a lot of "You should have fought that guy off (like Axl claimed he did)" and "It's your own fault for being stupid enough to crash out in a stranger's hotel room." Or "It's your own fault for looking like a fucking chick." with girly looking guys like Axl. Or "He looks/dresses like a fag, he probably wanted it anyway." Shit like that. The truth is there are a lot of people out there who're gonna make dumb comments if you admit to being sexually assaulted as a guy, and a lot of people will look at you and think you're weak or less of a man or something. I could see Axl not wanting to deal with all that, especially considering that for a long time (until he started his whole soul searching process in the 90s) he was really concerned about appearing like a tough guy and all macho and shit.

Same logic might also apply to the discrepancy between what Zutaut/Beta said about Axl's step father and what Axl himself said. Easier to talk about some obscure bad guy you never met and who's long dead doing that to you when you were a baby, than to talk about your step father doing that to you much more recently. Especially when the guy's still alive (is alive even now apparently) and knows a lot of people you know and sees a lot of people you grew up with every day and could potentially tell them all kinds of shit...

Tbh, I would have done exactly what Axl did. The incident when he was a baby doesn't seem like such a big deal to talk about (you're mostly only gonna get sympathy points for that), but I would have kept my mouth firmly shut about anything involving highway truckers or my step father. I probably wouldn't have brought any of this up at all.

Edited by Frey

4 minutes ago, Frey said:

I think there might be some truth to this. It's hard for guys to talk about sexual assault. Not that I'm saying it's easy for women, but if you're a guy... There's more of a stigma attached to it. And it was even harder still in the 80s and 90s compared to now.

And in that way it really is easier to talk about getting raped as a baby, because no one's going to blame you or think less of you for that, even if you're a guy. Meanwhile, if you're a guy and 17 already, you're gonna get a lot of "You should have fought that guy off (like Axl claimed he did)" and "It's your own fault for being stupid enough to crash out in a stranger's hotel room." Or "It's your own fault for looking like a fucking chick." with girly looking guys like Axl. Or "He looks/dresses like a fag, he probably wanted it anyway." Shit like that. The truth is there are a lot of people out there who're gonna make dumb comments if you admit to being sexually assaulted as a guy, and a lot of people will look at you and think you're weak or less of a man or something. I could see Axl not wanting to deal with all that, especially considering that for a long time (until he started his whole soul searching process in the 90s) he was really concerned about appearing like a tough guy and all macho and shit.

Same logic might also apply to the discrepancy between what Zutaut/Beta said about Axl's step father and what Axl himself said. Easier to talk about some obscure bad guy you never met and who's long dead doing that to you when you were a baby, than to talk about your step father doing that to you much more recently. Especially when the guy's still alive (is alive even now apparently) and knows a lot of people you know and sees a lot of people you grew up with every day and could potentially tell them all kinds of shit...

Tbh, I would have done exactly what Axl did. The incident when he was a baby doesn't seem like such a big deal to talk about (you're mostly only gonna get sympathy points for that), but I would have kept my mouth firmly shut about anything involving highway truckers or my step father. I'd probably have not brought any of this up at all.

Poor guy  :cry:. What a life he has lived. I wish he finds happiness in the end.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Frey said:

Tbh, I would have done exactly what Axl did. The incident when he was a baby doesn't seem like such a big deal to talk about (you're mostly only gonna get sympathy points for that), but I would have kept my mouth firmly shut about anything involving highway truckers or my step father. I'd probably have not brought any of this up at all.

Yes, I understand what you are saying and I agree. The only thing that maybe doesn't fit is that when Axl told the attempted rape story, he had already started to distance himself from the macho/tough guy image, and he repeated it when he was deeply into "therapy".

20 hours ago, killuridols said:

Axl involved Erin and Stephanie in everything he did.

It was his choice to put these women together and use them for his art.

It must be very hard to deal with that for the rest of your life.

Now the guy is singing songs about you for 60,000 people every other day.

There are music videos, songs, music, stories, documentaries, everything where your face and your relationship are exposed.

I can't blame Erin for feeling whatever she feels. She didn't choose to become an icon in Guns N' Roses music.

Axl made decisions for her. He impregnated his music and his lyrics with this romantic relationship.

Deal with it now.

world_s_best_psychologist_metal_ornament-rab209886970f4f9180acd1b1d19a346a_x7s2s_8byvr_324.jpg      :thumbsup:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pink Rose said:

It has nothing to do with Erin either.  She seems desperate to have him back all if a sudden but nothing is working.  Axl wants nothing to do with her.  

Really?! Then I don't want him to sing all those Erin songs all the time. They have lots of other songs to sing instead.

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I understand what you are saying and I agree. The only thing that maybe doesn't fit is that when Axl told the attempted rape story, he had already started to distance himself from the macho/tough guy image, and he repeated it when he was deeply into "therapy".

I'd say he got better about it, but he never let go of that completely. But maybe it was stupid to bring that up anyway, because you don't need to be a tough macho guy to not want to talk about stuff like that. Like I mentioned earlier, I was in a similar situation once and nothing even really happened to me, but I was too embarrassed to tell anyone about it for years. And I wouldn't consider myself particularly macho or concerned about my image.

8 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I've always believed that Axl clinged to the GNR name because it seems to be the only good thing that ever happened to him. I've always thought that's why he kept it going, he couldn't leave it or live without it.

But it was too much for him, in the long run, nearly tipped him off the edge a few times.

I think him finding happiness is Guns N' Roses being fucking awesome again, like right now :D he knows it :D 

Yeah, that's probably it.

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I've always believed that Axl clinged to the GNR name because it seems to be the only good thing that ever happened to him. I've always thought that's why he kept it going, he couldn't leave it or live without it.

But it was too much for him, in the long run, nearly tipped him off the edge a few times.

I think him finding happiness is Guns N' Roses being fucking awesome again, like right now :D he knows it :D 

Yes. And that's why he enjoys every show with Slash and Duff and looks like the happiest person in the whole stadium (only Adler's smile shines brighter) :D. And don't forget the ACDC thing, which only adds to his happiness. 

(if only Slash reponded better to Axl's teasing :max:)

axl15.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@Andy14 Yea, what's up with Slash? He is honoured with being the one Axl wants to interact with most. Seems if you treat Axl mean you keep him keen :lol:

It's still so amazing to see Axl so happy, something I'm never going to get bored of. 

I really don't know. Slash has always been Axl's favourite toy member to fool around so he should stop being so cold :max:. But as you say, Slash's behaviour just makes Axl want more and more lol.

Happy Axl is amazing to watch. He seems to interact with the audience a lot, he also notices people in the crowd, their outfits, their gestures and responds to it. See @killuridols? You have a big chance to catch his attention :headbang:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Another interesting thing about this biopic (which is great btw), is that the actual person whose life it is based on, the actress Frances Farmer, lived the last years of her life in Indiana (she died in 1970) and her last role was in a play at a Lafayette theater. Maybe Axl had heard about her before the movie came out.

Coincidence

15 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

I really don't know. Slash has always been Axl's favourite toy member to fool around so he should stop being so cold :max:. But as you say, Slash's behaviour just makes Axl want more and more lol.

Happy Axl is amazing to watch. He seems to interact with the audience a lot, he also notices people in the crowd, their outfits, their gestures and responds to it. See @killuridols? You have a big chance to catch his attention :headbang:

I'm thinking that playing with Axl after all these years may still feel strange to Slash. Axl wouldn't do the reunion if he wasn't 100% ready for it, and this is why he seems to be totally into it. But with Slash it's different. Another thing that adds to this is that Slash is sober. He had never played with Axl being sober before. He was always on something or drunk and maybe that made him more laid back on stage, while Axl doesn't need to be on something to fool around :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I'm thinking that playing with Axl after all these years may still feel strange to Slash. Axl wouldn't do the reunion if he wasn't 100% ready for it, and this is why he seems to be totally into it. But with Slash it's different. Another thing that adds to this is that Slash is sober. He had never played with Axl being sober before. He was always on something or drunk and maybe that made him more laid back on stage, while Axl doesn't need to be on something to fool around :lol:

He's shy N' I guess Hes more serious after sober N' dont want to mess up

6 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@Blackstar Talking about film influences on Axl, I thought maybe you might know about this one.....Frances. 

I can't be 100% sure because I read about this so long ago, but I remember reading Axl was obsessed with a film about a woman who suffered a complete mental breakdown, she was institutionalised and had a lobotomy performed on her which made her worse. Lots of other terrible things happened to her, too. Even worse, it was a true story.

I think it is this film that Axl identified with, it could be another, but the story is the same as the one he was reportedly obsessed with - woman sought professional help - taken to an asylum - they abused her and performed a forced lobotomy. 

In the book I read (must be about 18yrs ago and I've since lost the GN'R book I read it in) they said Axl couldn't be convinced to go and get professional help, one reason was because he really thought they would just do things to him, like a lobotomy. It was a pretty sad read, but it did make sense as to why he was frightened to go to a psychiatrist. 

Axl did mention it.  Cobain was obsessed with it.  That's why he named his daughter Frances.

i think part of the reason Axl is so loyal to team Brazil is because without them taking care of him, he could have wound up in an institution.

Edited by Kira
New thought
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nn18 said:

He's very cute, not like the other two.