GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

11 hours ago, stella said:

I'd imagine it might have been after leaving his religion and moving out of his parents' home? Axl's said that his church raised him with the idea that anything sexual was dirty and wrong, and he didn't stop going until he was well into high school.

I thought the comment from Izzy was stupid, though. Many kids aren't sexually active in HS for all sorts of reasons and it doesn't mean they're losers; it means they're not ready, they're working things out; they haven't gotten past their awkward stage yet;  they're concentrating on other things; etc. A lot of people I knew in high school were totally straight-laced, and yet when we were all in college they slept around a lot. Being away from one's parents, having more freedom and being around a lot of other horny college students will do that, LOL.

there is an old interview with Axl somewhere, when he says how old he was when he lost his virginity.  sixteen or seventeen?  It's hard to remember now.

9 hours ago, killuridols said:

During most of the 80's his teeth was putrid from so much cigarettes, probably drugs too and of course, lack of dental hygiene but for the Don't Cry video he had it all fixed already. I think he fixed it in 1990 actually.

This might sound sick, but Axl's rotten teeth in the Jungle video made me even more attracted to him.  It just let me know he was legit you know?  lol

9 minutes ago, Kira said:

No, these were Gina's, I remember them from the original interview.

Ok

3 minutes ago, Kira said:

This might sound sick, but Axl's rotten teeth in the Jungle video made me even more attracted to him.  It just let me know he was legit you know?  lol

omg lol

No way. I used to have a coworker with rotten teeth like that, from cigarettes, and it was the worst for me. He kinda liked me and I fancied him too but those teeth were a no, no, nooo! :bitchfight:

6 minutes ago, Kira said:

I loved his crooked smile with the slightly wonky teeth and the chipped tooth. His teeth did eventually get too yellow though, I blame all that weed and Coca Cola.

11 hours ago, Lumikki said:

I thought Izzy's comment was pretty dumb as well. So what if Axl didn't have sex during high school? Like you said, lots of kids don't and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I think it would be better for most kids to wait a little longer. And Axl did eventually find himself a pretty nice girl it seems, so...

But I just remembered Gina said Axl was 20 or something when they started dating. If he really never touched a woman before that (although we don't know that for sure obviously), I can see why that would seem strange to Izzy, considering that the average age for that kind of thing lies quite a bit lower and Izzy and the other guys in the band all seem inordinately proud of the fact that they were screwing around from a young age (*cough* Slash *cough*). :facepalm:  Sorry for the dig at Slash, but that man sure loves talking about what he got up to at 12 or 13 and all the older women he managed to have sex with :rolleyes: (Not that Izzy or Steven are much better).

Men. :facepalm:

I thought it was really interesting as well, without being trashy or overly scandalous. Where did you hear that about him sneaking into her bedroom? That's kinda cute, but I don't remember that from the interview I read. Or maybe I've just forgotten. I should see if that interview is still around somewhere.

Yes, I thought he seemed a bit hesitant as well. Not just there, but also in other moments. But right now I'm feeling optimistic things will get better and better between them. Hopefully.

And you get well soon! Stomach pains suck.

As for Axl sneaking into Gina's bedroom;  I'm sure it was from that article, but it might have been in a foreward by the writer Dean Kuipers.  I think the original article was bigger than this part.

9 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Axl has had some cool hand writing

He does, its' very distinctive and all hard edges.

8 minutes ago, Kira said:

Hahahaha at the time my teenage self was all "ew gross" at the jungle teeth but watching it now I am "heeeeeey" and kinda into it. So high fiving you on this one. 

Gonna join the not that gross club. I actually never thought his teeth were that bad. Just very discolored. But at least they were even and he still had a cute smile.

I always notice his teeth on this picture though LOL Nevertheless, still adorable :wub:

Axl-Slash.jpg

6 minutes ago, Kira said:

As for Axl sneaking into Gina's bedroom;  I'm sure it was from that article, but it might have been in a foreward by the writer Dean Kuipers.  I think the original article was bigger than this part.

Ah okay. I don't think I've ever seen a longer version of that article. Proabably doesn't exist anymore on the net.

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Gonna join the not that gross club. I actually never thought his teeth were that bad. Just very discolored. But at least they were even and he still had a cute smile.

I wonder if you girls would take any other guy who's not Axl for that rotten teeth.

Are you sure?

Have you seen that stuff live in direct before? Plus the bad breath?

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I wonder if you girls would take any other guy who's not Axl for that rotten teeth.

Are you sure?

Depends on the guy. If the rest of the guy was as cute as Axl, I might be willing to overlook the bad teeth (as long as it doesn't get too bad obviously... :lol:)

11 minutes ago, pinkforgirls said:

Slightly off topic for a quick moment. What does the green plus sign next to users' names mean? I see that it's community reputation but how is it earned? 

Yeah, by likes.

All this teeth talk reminds me of this Slash video. It's pretty cool! It has Slash demonstrating what a huge dinosaur expert/nerd he is among other things :D And towards the end of the video Slash talks about how his biggest fear (besides public speaking) is going to the dentist. And how he hasn't gone to the dentist for years because he hates it so much.

(And yeah, you can tell that's true tbh :smiley-confused2:... his bottom teeth especially are pretty messed up. I often notice these when he talks)

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Kira said:

there is an old interview with Axl somewhere, when he says how old he was when he lost his virginity.  sixteen or seventeen?  It's hard to remember now.

Interesting, didn't know that. I'm starting to feel I've missed out on quite a few interviews after all  :P If that's true, then there's even less of a reason for Izzy to make dumb comments.

16 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Btw. Does Axl still have the piercing? Just curious :ph34r:

When was the last time we've seen Axl shirtless? :lol: Not exactly many opportunities anymore nowadays to see if he still has his piercing. And I don't know whether to be sad or relieved about that :smiley-confused2:

Edited by Lumikki

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

When was the last time we've seen Axl shirtless? :lol: Not exactly many opportunities anymore nowadays to see if he still has his piercing. And I don't know whether to be sad or relieved about that :smiley-confused2:

Just using this as a shallow excuse to post this....

88axl.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy14 said:

I'm pretty sure Duff and Slash will be attending the show tomorrow. And I hope they will hang out with Axl and we'll get some cool pics. Or maybe Duff came to help Axl with his workout. ;)

Btw. I came across this photo today. Have you seen it? I think Axl looks great here. :wub:

(How come he's able to have pictures from the same show where he looks twice as big? :max:)

axldc17.jpg

I believe some photoshopping was done on this picture hence the slimmer look. Remember the side profile picture of him with his tee sleeves rolled up walking past a blue van? The caption was something....Axl from '91 bla bla bla...he looked slim in that but someone posted the original version later on that showed his real double chin and bloated belly.

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

Are you sure?

I think it depends what one means by "bad teeth." Someone's teeth might be crooked or whatever, but they're clean and the guy has great hygiene and the only thing amiss is something cosmetic. 

On the other hand, yellow, uncleaned teeth and bad breath are just gross, no matter whose mouth they're in.

Edited by stella

29 minutes ago, stella said:

I think it depends what one means by "bad teeth." Someone's teeth might be crooked or whatever, but they're clean and the guy has great hygiene and the only thing amiss is something cosmetic. 

On the other hand, yellow, uncleaned teeth and bad breath are just gross, no matter whose mouth they're in.

That's what I was talking about. Axl's old teeth was grey or green and that is what puts me off, not if the teeth were not aligned or something like that.

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

That's what I was talking about. Axl's old teeth was grey or green and that is what puts me off, not if the teeth were not aligned or something like that.

The word I would use is mossy since that's defined as stained from cigarettes. The jungle is mossy so it all just very poetic really.

4 hours ago, Lumikki said:

The statistics actually are different, I think I read something about that once. But this was talking about people from very fundamentalist circles. Axl's background is certainly also very religious, but he at least went to a public school and wasn't home-schooled and all that jazz.

And I totally agree about Steven and Slash. It makes me sad as well. I remember reading Slash's book (I think?) and he was talking about a very young Steven getting into trouble because he was sleeping with some guy's wife (the guy and his wife being around 30 or mid 20s or something). Slash made it seem like the problem here was the woman cheating on her husband with Steven and the husband getting mad about it, instead of the fact that a young boy was having sex with an adult. That one definitely made me raise my eyebrows and question the kind of world view some of these guys have. And while Slash seems pretty unharmed by his various early escapades, I've often wondered if all the things that happened to Steven aren't one of the main reasons why he is so messed up (and he might not even realize it himself).

I didn't know that! Thanks for telling that story :D I was under the impression piercings in general were pretty uncommon in the 80s (at least compared to nowadays), so I was always curious what made Axl decide to get one. The only thing I remember that he himself said about the piercing was that girls should be careful to get involved with someone with piercings like that because a man like that might be really masochistic and enjoy the pain. Or something.

That public school and contact with the outside world had to have been infinitely helpful for Axl in developing his own ideas. I've read about some fundamentalist groups that homeschool or send the kids to their own religious schools. The kids don't seem to have any access at all to any world views and perspectives other than that of their religion. I do remember reading that Axl had to go to church eight times a week or something, though, so that probably did influence things a lot.

I honestly don't remember that incident in Slash's book (but I haven't read it in a very long time) , but that sounds as though it was framed in a way that was totally wrong. That's something that could and should have landed that woman in jail for statutory rape and/or sexual abuse of a child, but it doesn't seem as though any of them were considering that. There was another interview with Steven online years ago where he defended what happened to him when he was getting picked up by older men for drugs on Santa Monica Boulevard where he was very defensive and basically said, there was nothing wrong with it and he wasn't the only one it had happened to. I do have to think all of that had an adverse effect on Adler.

RE: the piercing, you're right - there really wasn't a lot out there in the mainstream. There were men with earrings in the 80s, but that was about it; I remember that there was a guy in Skid Row with a chain from his earring to his nose piercing (Rachel Bolan, I think, but don't quote me there, LOL) and some attention was given to it. Seeing anyone with a more complex piercing like a nipple wasn't ordinary.

Body and hair mods in general have come a long way toward general acceptance over the past 20-30 years. A friend of mine let her daughter (who is around 10) dye her hair blue and wear it to school. I had to shake my head at how easy she had it, LOL. I went to a pretty liberal school in a big city in the late 80s - 90s, and I still would have been sent home if I'd showed up with blue hair. Hell, I had black nail polish and that was a scandal. :)

3 hours ago, Frey said:

He did WHAT?!! :o Damn, I didn't know that. When did he say that?

He talks about it a bit in his book, and there's also an interview from Metal Sludge from about 10 years ago where he discusses it. The gist was that he would get picked up by older men and drugs were involved.

14 minutes ago, killuridols said:

ITA. In some of the interviews and photos they look pretty decrepit.