GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

It didn't come up, it was just one of his random twitter posts. He posted a link to a youtube video (don't remember what it was anymore) and asked "Is this transphobic?" It's been a long time since I read his twitter, but honestly, I think he was just being a douche and making fun of the concept of transphobia. Or at least being unnecessarily sarcastic about it. The tweet should still be there if you want to see for yourself.

Was searching for the tweet, got this instead :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
https://www.ncscooper.com/axl-rose-reveals-he-is-transgender/

Couldn'cupcake my eyes any further back into my head, tbh.

Edited by tiutso

2 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Yay, I'm the notorious gangsta stalker in Europe :ph34r:. And it gets worse. Not only will I chase him all over the place, I will also steal his hats and burn them :anger:

We NEED to do it!!! Poor Axl :rofl-lol:. Maybe the whole thread should join our Pokémon Go: Axl edition, he would be so happy :smiley-confused2:

I knew you would love it. I'm so glad to see him doing such things, rather than hide in his room caught in the middle of freak show. Hope he'll join Slash or Duff in their activities...or maybe he does, we don't know...he isn't the kind of person to inform us about his every single move...ok, I'll come back down to earth :rolleyes:

If you TOUCH the Janis hat..... :anger: don't even get me started!

:P

Well, not sure the freak show wasn't around but it is an advance that he was out there playing his piano. I hope it was a new song!

Yeah, how come we don't receive a daily report of Axl's every move? I'm so disappointed at it :max:

1 hour ago, Frey said:

The mental images this just gave me :scared::vomit:

:rofl-lol:

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Appetite has sold more in the US and UK than the Illusions, while in the rest of the world it has been the opposite, at least according to Wikipedia numbers. For America it is certain, because Appetite wasn't just a very popular album there; it had, along with the live performances of that era, a big cultural impact. I personally don't value how great an act or an album is by sales or popularity. I happen to like acts that have sold millions, others that have sold a few thousand and others that are in-between (the most acts I like are in the in-between-area). If, for example, I liked CD better than Appetite or the Illusions, I would care less of how much it has sold and I don't consider the arguments against it that are based on sales being of any significance.

Of course it is good for a band to be big and successful both in its country and worldwide, and they all wanted it (even Izzy wouldn't have a problem with that). And there was nothing wrong with touring the world and making videos per se; everybody was doing videos then, even the small indie bands. The thing is what type of "big" they became, and now I'm coming to the part in bold. I'll try to explain it, at least how I see it. It has to do with a perception of what rock 'n' roll is about, which may not make much sense now, but it did matter back then.

When a rock 'n' roll band like GnR became so huge, playing in big stadiums and doing shows of such a high production value (I'm referring mainly to the 1992 so called "circus" shows with too many people on stage), it was closer to pop star acts like Michael Jackson and Madonna; or older rock bands like The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, who were legendary and great and all, but weren't "it" anymore and did highly professional shows addressing to all age audiences. The trilogy videos resembled, both production and content wise, more to videos that a pop act would do (Axl had said that he wanted to follow Michael Jackson's model). I know that many people love these videos of became fans because of the November Rain video, but I find them silly and cringeworthy, especially the NR one with the wedding and all that. (In general, this band hasn't made, with few exceptions, the best choices on videos; I can't understand why they liked so much doing videos with sappy scenes with their girlfriends :rolleyes:.) Even Axl later said (in the 2006 Trunk interview) that the videos were corny.

Stadiums, of course, were a necessity, even if Axl hadn't wanted them, because there were big crowds that wanted to see the band and it wouldn't have been practical to play in smaller venues for, say, three days instead of playing one show in a stadium. But when a band attracts such big crowds, it's not because all these people are real fans and love the music; many go just for the hits or because the band is fashionable. I remember Slash saying in his book  that he wanted to be big and successful, but not Madonna-like big, being the subject of trashy magazine articles and gossip columns. And Duff has said both in old interviews and in his book that he didn't like being called a rockstar.

I have attended few big stadium concerts, because I don't enjoy them. I think they are too massive and impersonal; the size and height of the stage create a feel of distance between the band and the audience, with the band being "above" the fans, even if you are relatively close (Slash and Duff have stated that they didn't like this aspect of a stadium show). GnR are one of those few shows I have gone to; I  couldn't miss them when they came here in 1993. As expected, it was hot news in the media. For local socialites, celebrities, VIPs etc, who had nothing to do with rock 'n' roll, the show was a "must go", one of the big "events" they would talk to their parties about. I felt annoyed being at the same place with those people. I wouldn't have minded if I had been there to see Michael Jackson for example, but rock was supposed to be anti-establishment... At least it was a good show; it was the Skin 'N' Bones tour (I learned this later, because there wasn't much info back then and we had no idea what they would play and we didn't expect so much acoustic stuff) and one of the shows that Izzy had filled in for Gilby :lol:

And while these were happening with GnR, other bands emerged representing the "real" rock spirit.

Despite all that, GnR remained a rock 'n' roll band and the reason, apart from the music, was Axl and his unpredictability, even though he was the one who had the grandiose ideas :)

Anyway, as I said above, all these don't matter now, because rock isn't what it was and the UYI GnR is iconic, as the last of the mega larger-than-life rock bands.

I don't equal popularity with quality either but there are cases when some popular things are really good quality wise and I think Guns N' Roses is and was one of those few examples.

About what type of big they were... well, I'm not sure if someone can control that. Becoming so popular is usually something that happens sponteanously, unplanned, you can aim for something I think, but controlling how big you get, hmm... Kinda like what happened to Nirvana. Kurt Cobain tried to control how big he wanted to be; complaining about GN'R for being everything he didn't want to be but he failed at it, because Nirvana got huge and after he died, he became an icon so there goes all that perception of what rock n' roll should be about. In my opinion, should be about defending freedom, revolting against injustice and things that are not good in this world, it should be about rebellion and non-conformism and the more people you can get to with that message, the better.

Trying to make the revolution hiding behind a desk or in the garage of your parents, I dont know.... That's why even though I understand everything you've explained and described (I'm not that young and I've lived all that era too) I never agreed with that and I don't agree with it either and I really don't see the problem in being as popular as Madonna or Michael Jackson. They are both GREAT artists in spite of their massivity.

Yes, popularity also comes with bad things, clueless people, casual fans, celebrities trying to promote themselves, "beggars n' hangers on"? :P but I guess that's the price to pay... I'm also a fan of things that no one likes, things that only a few people enjoy and that's cool, keeps the intimacy with the artist but I never thought the videos were bad or cringeworthy. I loved all of them videos, some more than others, but I really don't see a reason to dislike them, or the reasons given to me at least, do not make sense to me. I'm not gonna be jumping on that bandwagon of criticizing the videos and calling them "bloated" just because some people think they are bloated.

My final opinion or conclusion on this topic is that Guns N' Roses is a big popular band (with all the "wrongs" and "bad" that come with it) but still a great band with one of the greatest vocalists of all times, one of the greatest guitarists of all times and a catalogue of incredible songs that, for our luck, are as diverse as to cover a wide range of what rock n' roll is supposed to be and much more. Guns N' Roses is not Poison or Bon Jovi. They have the ballads for the casual idiots but they have many more amazing songs with deep lyrics for the ones who prefer something more meaningful and insightful.

I am grateful for what this band is and for what it was, in that short period of time when they were at their prime, everything they did is part of their history (including bloated videos and what not), they wouldn't be here today if those things wouldnt have happened. One must not disown his/her past if that past is what settled one's future :)

41 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

You and @Andy14 need to make sure to never post any pictures of yourself anywhere, so you'll remain anonymous and the minions will be completely powerless against you :ph34r:

--------

Also I saw these on Tumblr today and was reminded of our recent discussion :awesomeface:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/Random/ShitFromTumblr/daddyannt.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/Random/ShitFromTumblr/daddyt.png

I feel haunted by this daddy thing now :nervous:

Also Beta apparently got into a fight with people on social media again :facepalm: This time she was defending Dizzy because someone apparently wrote a negative comment about Dizzy on a recent picture of Dizzy and Melissa that was posted on the official GnR Instagram account. Here's a summary from Tumblr:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/Random/ShitFromTumblr/betarant.png~original

haha you're right about the pictures! I had thought of that too :P

Jeez those "daddy" things and those dialogues they created, omg, NOW that's cringeworthy :facepalm:

-----

So crazy that Beta stuff!!! :wow:

I just went and check, it is still there... That guy is fuckin' clueless, though, so props to Beta for standing up for Dizzy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Lol. They shouldn't be so spoiled, they will get two shows in one: acdc concert + fashion show :rofl-lol:

Yay, I'm the notorious gangsta stalker in Europe :ph34r:. And it gets worse. Not only will I chase him all over the place, I will also steal his hats and burn them :anger:

We NEED to do it!!! Poor Axl :rofl-lol:. Maybe the whole thread should join our Pokémon Go: Axl edition, he would be so happy :smiley-confused2:

I knew you would love it. I'm so glad to see him doing such things, rather than hide in his room caught in the middle of freak show. Hope he'll join Slash or Duff in their activities...or maybe he does, we don't know...he isn't the kind of person to inform us about his every single move...ok, I'll come back down to earth :rolleyes:

I have to admit that I kind of miss the AXL/DC thing....Why can't they clone him to keep both projects going? :max:

Happy stalking! .....but one request. NO burning the cowboy KOHD hat. Love that one but since it's usually reserved for that song and not AC/DC,  I'm not too worried haha!!!:lol: 

Found this video on IG and thought I'd share because...

- Axl does his carnavalito dance that actually belongs to KOHD but he did it here and I think the first time he's done that in like 25 years :P

- Axl refrains from throwing his mic stand and just leaves it there kind of shaking :confused:

- A hair is about to fall from Axl's head and I have this HUGE NEED to pull it out but I'm amputated in my desires :unsure:

26 minutes ago, tiutso said:

Was searching for the tweet, got this instead :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
https://www.ncscooper.com/axl-rose-reveals-he-is-transgender/

Couldn'cupcake my eyes any further back into my head, tbh.

Holy F@#k! No wonder he so pissed off. Nothing against transgender it's the LIES that are put in print. I remember a time when we had to read mags and not nonsense like this all over the Internet  (present company excluded) ? Ah, simpler times.

Edited by Mararoyce
Not done
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lumikki said:

You and @Andy14 need to make sure to never post any pictures of yourself anywhere, so you'll remain anonymous and the minions will be completely powerless against you :ph34r:

Ok, if you say so, then I will delete the big file of all my pics I was going to send to the GNR management (with personal dedication to Fernando :smiley-confused2:)

j/k :P

And yes, I don't like that either (except when we're doing it jokingly in the women's thread... remember when they all were Saul, William, Jeffrey and Michael for a while? lol). Like you said, it's distasteful and disrespectful.

We can still call him daddy :smiley-confused2:. LOL, no :max::vomit:

50 minutes ago, killuridols said:

If you TOUCH the Janis hat..... :anger: don't even get me started!

44 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Happy stalking! .....but one request. NO burning the cowboy KOHD hat. Love that one but since it's usually reserved for that song and not AC/DC,  I'm not too worried haha!!!:lol: 

No worries girls, these two hats (the Janis one and the cowboy one) are the only ones I quite like, so he can keep them :wub:

Hope he won't be wearing the Angus hat :rofl-lol:

35 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Found this video on IG and thought I'd share because...

- Axl does his carnavalito dance that actually belongs to KOHD but he did it here and I think the first time he's done that in like 25 years :P

- Axl refrains from throwing his mic stand and just leaves it there kind of shaking :confused:

- A hair is about to fall from Axl's head and I have this HUGE NEED to pull it out but I'm amputated in my desires :unsure:

I'm out of likes, but it's a great video :headbang:

Here are some gifs so that you can watch him dancing over and over again :drool:

dance.gif

GIVE ME SOME REGGAE :dance:

dance2.gif

Oh shit, just noticed that my 1000th post is coming :nervous:

Edited by Andy14
larger gifs
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I hope so, it's encouraging to see the photo of him playing the piano in his downtime. Im sure I'll enjoy following the AC/DC shows as much as I did last time. It just seems such a shame to take a break from the GNR tour when things have been going so well. 

speaking of piano, anyone else notice on the new instagram (story) feature a caption of "patience" next to the piano photo? it was on the official GNR IG a few hours ago. Speculation, speculation! I got patience as long as it's coming!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

I'm out of likes, but it's a great video :headbang:

Here are some gifs so that you can watch him dancing over and over again :drool:

dance.gif

GIVE ME SOME REGGAE :dance:

dance2.gif

haha thanks for the gifs!

So good to see Axl doing all the old things again! :P

15 minutes ago, annablue said:

speaking of piano, anyone else notice on the new instagram (story) feature a caption of "patience" next to the piano photo? it was on the official GNR IG a few hours ago. Speculation, speculation! I got patience as long as it's coming!

what ??

I don't understand. Please POST IT.

:drool:

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

what ??

I don't understand. Please POST IT.

:drool:

I haven't a clue how to post/share it! It's a new feature and I just watched it on my phone a few hours ago. The IG on the computer doesn't seem to show it on their recent posts. It's a series of photos with captions. Maybe someone younger here knows how? 

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Keep going Axl :headbang:. I'm just curious whether he brings back his Live and Let Die jump 

54 minutes ago, killuridols said:

And please do tell me that when you go to the Argentina show and see something hanging on Axl :ph34r: you won't jump on stage trying to put it into place :rofl-lol:

Ewwww.

See, the thing is... I don't like Steven. Never have and never will. I have a huge soft spot for the other four idiots, but Steven... nope. So I don't really keep up with him and mostly tend to ignore him. I have never heard about any of these things you mentioned. I never watched the rehab show, don't usually read interviews with him, don't really know about all the shit he did etc. All I know about him are bits and pieces I randomly come across or when he gets mentioned in connection to the other guys and stuff like that.

Basically, I retract my earlier statement after reading what you wrote. Shows what I get for trying to find something nice to say about him for once :tongue2:

I'm right there with you. I pretty intensely dislike Steven, and that's been true for a long time. A family member of mine used to really be into Celebrity Rehab so whenever I visited them I watched and then I ended up watching on my own...trainwreck syndrome. It's why I think the show shouldn't have been on the air at all; I saw a few seasons of it and it was a mess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, annablue said:

I haven't a clue how to post/share it! It's a new feature and I just watched it on my phone a few hours ago. The IG on the computer doesn't seem to show it on their recent posts. It's a series of photos with captions. Maybe someone younger here knows how? 

Not sure whether I'm younger, but here you go, if you meant this:

13194085_1193816667337495_451514830_n.jp

(you need to instal a Google Chrome extension - IG Story Chrome)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, annablue said:

oh, I know what you mean. It is a circle thing like a reel, shows videos and stuff.

Ok, I'll check it when I'm on mobile, maybe i can post it here.

5 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

Keep going Axl :headbang:. I'm just curious whether he brings back his Live and Let Die jump 

And please do tell me that when you go to the Argentina show and see something hanging on Axl :ph34r: you won't jump on stage trying to put it into place :rofl-lol:

Oh please no jumps! We don't need broken feet/legs again! :facepalm:

hahahaa Im sorry I can't control my OCD impulses but if I jump on stage it's gonna be to grab something else, you know that, do you? :suspicious:

He tries to cover it with those table clothes Amiri sews for him but I know it is a trick, I know what they...

happy-i-see-what-you-did-there-clean.jpg

1 minute ago, Andy14 said:

Not sure whether I'm younger, but here you go, if you meant this:

13194085_1193816667337495_451514830_n.jp

(you need to instal a Google Chrome extension - IG Story Chrome)

Yes this right here - I'm only a recent instagrammer and didn't and wouldn't have known about the chrome extension! so thanks!

4 hours ago, Frey said:

But I think a few of the videos aren't too bad. WTTJ, PC, SCOM and Yesterdays are perfectly good videos in my eyes.

3 hours ago, Jane M. said:

Paradise City is a great video yet very simple and gf's free.

I like these too (SCOM so so). I also like Garden of Eden (one of my favorites and a great example of a smart video), LALD, The Garden (except some parts) and ... (I admit it) It's So Easy.

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

I don't equal popularity with quality either but there are cases when some popular things are really good quality wise and I think Guns N' Roses is and was one of those few examples.

My final opinion or conclusion on this topic is that Guns N' Roses is a big popular band (with all the "wrongs" and "bad" that come with it) but still a great band with one of the greatest vocalists of all times, one of the greatest guitarists of all times and a catalogue of incredible songs that, for our luck, are as diverse as to cover a wide range of what rock n' roll is supposed to be and much more. Guns N' Roses is not Poison or Bon Jovi. They have the ballads for the casual idiots but they have many more amazing songs with deep lyrics for the ones who prefer something more meaningful and insightful.

I don't disagree with any of this. I said so myself in other words. After all, if I thought that popularity equals to bad quality music, I wouldn't like GnR (and I wouldn't be here :) )

And I have nothing against Michael Jackson and Madonna. They are great for what they are (I never liked Madonna, even when I was 14, but I acknowledge what she has achieved). The same with Bon Jovi, whom I consider pop. It's just that pop and rock are (or were) different things for me.

16 hours ago, Lumikki said:

Something else I noticed, though it's a bit more far-fetched than the other things mentioned here is that Axl often talks about himself and other people he's at odds with in terms of winning and losing. That was a recurring theme when Slash and Duff were still on his enemy list :rolleyes:

Ooh, well its on with the show
Like the tide down on the ocean
The waves already set in motion
The only one in the game who's lost is you

He seems to be doing the same with his family here in the song and has done so elswhere too, though I can't remember where right now.

Great remark! There is also a line in Breakdown:

When I look around
Everybody always brings me down
Well is it them or me
Well I just can't see
But there ain't no peace to found
But if someone really cared
Well they'd take the time to spare
A moment to try and understand
Another one's despair
Remember in this game we call life
That no one said it's fair

I've come to know the cold
I think of it as home
When there ain't enough of me
To go around
I'd rather be left alone
But if I call you out of habit
I'm out of love and I gotta have it
Would you give it to me
If I fit you needs
Like when we both knew we had it
But now the damage's done
And we're back out on the run
Fun how ev'rything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky ones

I have the impression that this song is, even if not solely, Axl's view of the band's state at the time and of his feelings for the other members. Like Pretty Tied Up is Izzy's view. And these two songs are one after the other on the album.

16 hours ago, Lumikki said:
On 16/08/2016 at 4:36 PM, Blackstar said:

Btw, I read another Slash interview after Oh My God was released where he says again how intelligent Axl is and how brilliant his lyrics are.

Did Slash say that just in a general sense or was he specifically referring to Oh My God when he said that?

He said it in general. In fact it's my mistake, because I confused two different interviews :facepalm:

The quote I had in mind is from a 2002 interview:

- But musically, at least, something good came out of Axl's temperamental side.
- Oh yeah. He's one of the most brilliant lyri­cists. He's got so much going on, and he's really an intelligent, amazing guy. It's just ... it depends how much of that [emotional bag­gage] you want to experience with him. A lot of it is stuff that not everyone in the band necessarily understands. So you try to under­stand, and you try to be a good friend and bandmate as you go through it. But when it negatively affects everything the band is doing, it's really hard to stand by him. I'm also interested to hear the new Guns record because so much has gone on since this whole thing started -I know he's got a lot to say.Even a lot of his stage performance is fueled by angst. And it's essential to have that sort of soul and energy for the music to come across as genuine; that's an integral part of rock 'n' roll. But it just depends on how far you want to take it. It's like, if you can get it all out of your system in tl1e two hours you're onstage, great-as long as you're onstage [laughs].

In the other interview, where he was asked about Oh My God, he said he didn't have an opinion :unsure:

I have a bigger appreciation for this song now; I liked it (without being stunned), but I hadn't paid much attention to the lyrics.

I've been reading Slash interviews before and after he left the band, and I have some thoughts of why Axl was so angry with him, at least one of the reasons, but I'll leave it for another day.

9 hours ago, Andy14 said:

CqE_DwCXgAAZvhY.jpg

(edit: so it was taken by Dell James with a comment "Some guy playing the piano in the hotel lobby in Seattle")

It seems that the hats are more than accessories for Axl; they are a kind of inspiration. So, @Rock Hopper, don't have much hope that he's going to get rid of them for the AC/DC shows :awesomeface:

6 hours ago, Andy14 said:

I have to admit that I kind of miss the AXL/DC thing....Why can't they clone him to keep both projects going? :max:

I don't know if I miss it now, but this is one of my favorite 2016 Axl moments:

Axl had come up with some lines to introduce the songs. For Back In Black he had the (rather lame) line "This is another song you might know". Then, in one show, because he was bored of saying that, he said instead "This is another song that ... I had no fucking part in writing at all" :rofl-lol:

I have noticed that in the most recent GnR shows, Axl has added more "fucks/fucking" to the songs. It's maybe because he will be back with AC/DC in a few days and he'll have to watch his language there :awesomeface:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

@Rock Hopper, I have to admit that in an imaginary Axl-Brian Johnson profanity contest, Brian would be the winner :awesomeface:

But then, why poor Axl was so hesitant to say "good fuckin' night" and was saying just "good night" :question::lol:

5 minutes ago, cheesecake said:

What do you think they're hinting from the piano pic on IG?

I'm having a brain fog ATM and haven't a clue....but am intrigued..

Maybe it's just a joke about the "piano incident"?

RE: the Patience video: One of the cool things about it IMHO is where it was filmed. The Ambassador Hotel in LA closed right around the time that video was made, was left vacant (but used for filming) for a long time, and then was demolished after an unsuccessful battle to save it many years later. AFAIK the hotel closed right after the GnR video was filmed. So when all those ghosts are walking around the hotel, it's very appropriate. The hotel itself was really old and historic.

And it's cool to get all those glimpses of the hotel rooms and lobby and such since it's all gone now.

• Like 3