GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

4 minutes ago, Frey said:

But the lyrics are "...don't mean you're the lucky ones", aren't they? Ones, plural. So he's saying that other people are winning, but not lucky.

Yeah, that's a valid interpretation, but it's still a bit of an over-reaction and makes him come across as quite possessive/protective and obsessed with his role in Axl's life. Maybe justified in the case of the biker, but Scott wasn't just some random dude talking shit. So I think @giuls point still stands.

Also lol, I had completely forgotten about Ash calling Axl fat being "offending and upsetting" for Slash :rofl-lol:  Seems like Slash even feels protective about Axl's fat rolls :lol:

Slash probably helps Axl to get a rid all of His fat memes :P

19 minutes ago, Frey said:

Also lol, I had completely forgotten about Ash calling Axl fat being "offending and upsetting" for Slash :rofl-lol:  Seems like Slash even feels protective about Axl's fat rolls :lol:

While Axl has lost some weight, Slash seems to have lost inhibitions to eat his birthday present in one bite :smiley-confused2:

slaxl4.jpg

1 hour ago, Frey said:

But the lyrics are "...don't mean you're the lucky ones", aren't they? Ones, plural. So he's saying that other people are winning, but not lucky.

Yeah, that's a valid interpretation, but it's still a bit of an over-reaction and makes him come across as quite possessive/protective and obsessed with his role in Axl's life. Maybe justified in the case of the biker, but Scott wasn't just some random dude talking shit. So I think @giuls point still stands.

I took the plural as being in general, sayings are plurals usually but it was actually about a specific situation

He was talking in general but yes, when he was talking about rights... i don't know how to define it? Like, Axl is a public figure, it's normal that he's gonna be judged, actually, Scott was in a feud with him and the SL guy was punched in the face so they have personal interactions to judge Axl by, it warms my heart that Slash was so protective of Axl but it's not like people have to have credentials to form an opinion on other people even if the opinion is negative and you don't like it.

Right? Upset i get but offended?! Axl was the one insulted :rofl-lol:

4 hours ago, Rock Hopper said:

About the piano thing, could it be to do with anouncing the new tour dates.  Telling fans to be patient, we're coming soon sort of thing.  I think the dates for Japan and Australia are up.  Does anyone remember when the Patience thing was done before.  Could it have been before the SA dates.

It was just random at the time, although I can't exactly remember when the other time was. I'ts probably just nothing, I don't want to get my hopes up. I've already done that now about the show tonight and who might be there. I'm probably going to be a bit gutted tomorrow when that doesn't pan out. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don't disagree with any of this. I said so myself in other words. After all, if I thought that popularity equals to bad quality music, I wouldn't like GnR (and I wouldn't be here :) )

And I have nothing against Michael Jackson and Madonna. They are great for what they are (I never liked Madonna, even when I was 14, but I acknowledge what she has achieved). The same with Bon Jovi, whom I consider pop. It's just that pop and rock are (or were) different things for me.

---------------

Great remark! There is also a line in Breakdown:

When I look around
Everybody always brings me down
Well is it them or me
Well I just can't see
But there ain't no peace to found
But if someone really cared
Well they'd take the time to spare
A moment to try and understand
Another one's despair
Remember in this game we call life
That no one said it's fair

I've come to know the cold
I think of it as home
When there ain't enough of me
To go around
I'd rather be left alone
But if I call you out of habit
I'm out of love and I gotta have it
Would you give it to me
If I fit you needs
Like when we both knew we had it
But now the damage's done
And we're back out on the run
Fun how ev'rything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky ones

I have the impression that this song is, even if not solely, Axl's view of the band's state at the time and of his feelings for the other members. Like Pretty Tied Up is Izzy's view. And these two songs are one after the other on the album.

I love Madonna. Not a huge fan or anything but I think she's a great artist. Same with Michael Jackson :)

One thing, though. Pop music and popularity are two different things. Rolling Stones are very popular, yet they are a rock band.

My music genre of preference is rock but I can appreciate the good in other genres and artists, whether they are big acts or sort of unknown.

----

In my opinion (or maybe not) :ph34r: some parts of "Breakdown" are about Erin.

And that last sentence you marked in bold, I think it could be a reference to the record label, to Geffen. Axl once mentioned they were having some trouble with them by the time of the UYI release (and I think he also talked a bit about that during the China Exchange conference).

This trying to understand the lyrics is very cool. Would love to analyze other lyrics as well, especially 'Chinese Democracy' lyrics. :heart:

1 hour ago, Andy14 said:

While Axl has lost some weight, Slash seems to have lost inhibitions to eat his birthday present in one bite :smiley-confused2:

slaxl4.jpg

I guess it all depends on the angle of the pic ;) In this one, both Axl and Dizzy look like they ate all of Slash´s candy ;)

13921148_1755793191358197_768878659471823663_n.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

It was just random at the time, although I can't exactly remember when the other time was. I'ts probably just nothing, I don't want to get my hopes up. I've already done that now about the show tonight and who might be there. I'm probably going to be a bit gutted tomorrow when that doesn't pan out. 

Count me in, I'm already setting myself up for disappointment. 

GNR really know how to use social media and take advantage that's for sure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Apparently no Izzy this weekend then, gutted. I really thought it might be this weekend. 

:shrugs:

For a moment I thought Izzy finally got his fp money (when ItalianGirl mentioned "probably some guest appereance") but nope, we're screwed until next year and even then...remember there was a 20th anniversary mini reunion, Axl was missing and Slash refused to play. You never know for sure with this band. Drama queens:bitchfight:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

For a moment I thought Izzy finally got his fp money (when ItalianGirl mentioned "probably some guest appereance") but nope, we're screwed until next year and even then...remember there was a 20th anniversary mini reunion, Axl was missing and Slash refused to play. You never know for sure with this band. Drama queens:bitchfight:

Do you think if we threaten them with a women's thread riot and  burning of hats, guitars and avocados, the Fab Five will finally consider to play together, at least once? :wow:

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Patience :lol:

I could honestly kick myself so much for not going to London in 2012. Even after the Duff thing in 2010, I stupidly couldn't be bothered to go down London for a show. I won't make that mistake again! I will just have to go to all UK shows, just in case. Poor me :lol:

• Like 1

I really don't give a fuck about Steven being there or not. I only want Izzy. Everything else is a disappointment.

@killuridols CD the song or CD the album? Because I remember the lyrics of TIL, SOD and Sorry have actually been discussed quite a bit in this thread already. None of the others though...

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Do you think if we threaten them with a women's thread riot and  burning of hats, guitars and avocados, the Fab Five will finally consider to play together, at least once? :wow:

Well...riots were their thing back in the day so why not? Lol but I don't wanna do that to Izzy, I think he already had a nervous breakdown and that's why he's been absent from twitter. I won't bother my favorite emo grumpy anymore.

6 minutes ago, Frey said:

Meh I really don't give a fuck about Steven being there or not. I only want Izzy. Everything else is a disappointment.

@killuridols CD the song or CD the album? Because I remember the lyrics of TIL, SOD and Sorry have actually been discussed quite a bit in this thread already. None of the others though...

The album.

Yeah, but there are 14 songs there, hehe, we could try to dissect the rest :)

Why is everybody saying there won't be Izzy tonight? What happened?

There's nothing behind it. It's a Dodger Stadium thing. It's right in a residential neighborhood and there's a very strict curfew. From what I've read and been told, they're so dead serious about it that they WILL unplug concerts if they try to run past IIRC 11:30.

So for the next two nights GnR WILL need to get their butts onstage on time.