Carlycosmos

GNR Women's discussion

1 hour ago, tiutso said:

Hungary and Poland aren't really Eastern Europe. I'm not sure how Americans divide European countries when they talk about them but to us they're in that centre where they might not be with the West but they sure ain't with us either.

Yes, if someone looks at the map, Poland and Hungary are rather central Europe. The term "Eastern Europe" originates from the Cold War era. It was used for decades more in this context than geographically, i.e. Eastern Europe meant the countries of the Warsaw Pact, Poland, Hungary, Chechoslovakia (then united) etc. And, like Axl said about the "Ayatollah" thing, it stack :lol:

Around 1900 there was also a big immigration wave from Southern Europe to America, mainly from Italy (the most part) and Greece.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

Just now, Lumikki said:

Nope, like @stella said, there would have been a good chance for them to have Scandinavian ancestry for example (most likely Norwegian or Swedish). Or Polish and other Easter European countries, French, Italian, Dutch...

I think I need to shut up about the population of the US in general, because it's obviously a rather different beast to what's going on over here simply because it's America :lol: There are twice as many people in the US as there are in Russia, yet I can think of at least 5 million people of 2 ethnicities here that quite a few people just plainly forget exist. Talk about 1.1 million being sizeable 

stell

41 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Nope, like @stella ....

Girl, Poland and Hungary are definitely considered Eastern Europe by everyone where I live :P I can see how that would seem strange from a Russian perspective, but here in central Europe (and also in western and north Europe)? Everything that is east of Germany and Austria (so basically everything that was beyond the iron curtain) is thought of as Eastern Europe.

The same here

Edited by Italian girl
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Axl looks so Irish to me, and Scottish. His real name is totally Scottish freedom fighter if ever I heard one :lol: 

If you sent him back in time, I could totally see him running around in his kilt fighting off the evil English. 

Is it just cause of his hair? :lol:

6 minutes ago, tiutso said:

Is it just cause of his hair? :lol:

No, he has a typical cheeky little impish Irish face. Charm of the Irish. 

He's also mad as a box of frogs. 

And yes, ginger :lol:

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

Yeah those rose printed leggings he used to have belonged to Amy apparently. I think I read about it in this thread actually.

There have been some examples of the guys sharing clothes posted in this thread as well. The gold glitter shirt Axl wears in the construction site photoshoot is Izzy's for example. There's also a black lace blouse both Izzy and Slash used to wear. And a red and blue kilt that Duff and Axl used to wear in the mid 80s. Also some hats.

Axl once said that if his and Erin's baby had been a girl, they would have named her Willow Amelia. And he said Amelia was after his grandmother. Since I only ever saw Axl's grandmother referred to as Anna, I wondered what grandmother he was talking about. But since his grandmother's full name is Anna Amelia, that makes sense now. Could have figured that out myself :rolleyes:

- Hes beautiful even tho He wears female clothes

- From All of His family, I wonder if its only His Grandmother tht He likes?

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, if someone looks at the map, Poland and Hungary are rather central Europe. The term "Eastern Europe" originates from the Cold War era. It was used for decades more in this context than geographically, i.e. Eastern Europe meant the countries of the Warsaw Pact, Poland, Hungary, Chechoslovakia (then united) etc. And, like Axl said about the "Ayatollah" thing, it stack :lol:

Around 1900 there was also a big immigration wave from Southern Europe to America, mainly from Italy (the most part) and Greece.

Yup, we're pretty much in the centre. Also culture-wise and religion-wise we're not eastern. We were never part of the Eastern Church, either. So calling Poland or Hungary Eastern Europe is pretty funny. But then again, Steven Tyler said we have the best bannanas here, so what do I know :rofl-lol:

• Like 1

Just now, MillionsOfSpiders said:

No, he has a typical cheeky little impish Irish face. Charm of the Irish. 

He's also mad as a box of frogs. 

And yes, ginger :lol:

Seen one total of gingers in Ireland despite staying for 2 weeks, was disappointed :D

Just now, Asia said:

Yup, we're pretty much in the centre. Also culture-wise and religion-wise we're not eastern. We were never part of the Eastern Church, either. So calling Poland or Hungary Eastern Europe is pretty funny. But then again, Steven Tyler said we have the best bannanas here, so what do I know :rofl-lol:

Are you Polish or Hungarian? :lol:

1 hour ago, SerenityScorp said:

how do You know?

Slash said so somewhere. In his book probably. He said something about Axl's grandma being just like Axl and that he liked her, but he didn't like the rest of Axl's family. Been a while since I read that. Maybe the people here who always magically have quotes at hand can tell you more about it :lol:

Omg, why does all of this have to be so confusing lol. I'm already confused by the issues popping up whenever I try to research my own ancestry, let alone other people's. The thing with the yearbook could be a simple error though. Someone might just have misheard "E" as "Lee".

I always pictured Axl's step father as older as well. Weird to think he was 2 and a half years younger than his mom.

Because that means the guy was around 18 or 19 when he became Axl's step father.

The whole situation is more like these trashy TV shows about teenagers becoming parents than what I pictured in my head. (And I know people used to have kids earlier back then, but 16 year old mom and 18/19 year old step father is still a bit :unsure:.)

But I figured something out I remember wondering about:

Axl once said that if his and Erin's baby had been a girl, they would have named her Willow Amelia. And he said Amelia was after his grandmother. Since I only ever saw Axl's grandmother referred to as Anna, I wondered what grandmother he was talking about. But since his grandmother's full name is Anna Amelia, that makes sense now. Could have figured that out myself :rolleyes:

Maybe that guy being only 18 or 19 years old himself when confronted with toddler Axl was one of the reasons for him being such a failure as a parent. Teenage boys rarely make for great fathers.

Willow Amelia is better than I would have expected from Axl. It's no Apple or North West at least (and Axl could easily have come up with a ridiculous pun name a la Kanye as well with the surnam he's got.)

Edited by Frey

Just now, tiutso said:

Seen one total of gingers in Ireland despite staying for 2 weeks, was disappointed :D

Ha ha, we have lots of family in Belfast. There's no shortage there :) 

Lots of my family are ginger. And mad as a box of frogs :lol:

Girl, Poland and Hungary are definitely considered Eastern Europe by everyone where I live :P I can see how that would seem strange from a Russian perspective, but here in central Europe (and also in western and north Europe)? Everything that is east of Germany and Austria (so basically everything that was beyond the iron curtain) is thought of as Eastern Europe.

Exactly! Due to our history we (Czech Republic) are still considered Eastern Europe even though we're in the center center and border Germany and Austria. Czech Republic and everything east from us is historically Eastern Europe and there are still a lot of people who think we are Russians or Czechoslovakia or "never heard of that country before". ;)

Just now, Asia said:

Polish :)

Cool! We're neighbours :headbang:

Just now, Frey said:

Willow Amelia is better than I would have expected from Axl. It's no Apple or North West at least (and Axl could easily have come up with a ridiculous pun name a la Kanye as well with the surnam he's got.)

It's really confusing to me how people can name their children with basically any noun in English-speaking countries. Doesn't it sound awkward? You couldn't do that with Russian names without coming off as a weirdo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Ha ha, we have lots of family in Belfast. There's no shortage there :) 

Lots of my family are ginger. And mad as a box of frogs :lol:

I was staying in Bray, so mostly hanging out about Dublin, in terms of big cities. Went to Cork, too. Going to Northern Ireland would probably require some additional logistics, no one would bother doing that for us kids :D

5 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

Exactly! Due to our history we (Czech Republic) are still considered Eastern Europe even though we're in the center center and border Germany and Austria. Czech Republic and everything east from us is historically Eastern Europe and there are still a lot of people who think we are Russians or Czechoslovakia or "never heard of that country before". ;)

Wait, there are people who think the Czech are Russian?

Edited by tiutso
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tiutso said:

Wait, there are people who think the Chezch are Russian?

Oh yeah. It happens to me quite often in Italy (but not necessarily from Italians, I've met a lot of foreign people there).

"Where are you from?"

"Czech Republic."

"So you're Russian!"

"No, I'm not. I'm Czech."

"It's the same. Let's drink some vodka."

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Andy14 said:

Oh yeah. It happens to me quite often in Italy (but not necessarily from Italians, I've met a lot of foreign people there).

"Where are you from?"

"Czech Republic."

"So you're Russian!"

"No, I'm not. I'm Czech."

"It's the same. Let's drink some vodka."

My condolences :rofl-lol:

On the bright side, the Russians know you're not Russian. If you're Ukranian or Belarussian, it's quite possible for you to meet a Russian who will be dead set on you being the same thing as them, anyway.

Edited by tiutso

2 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

So Axl is Irish

Slash is British

Steven is Italian

Izzy is related to Brad Pitt

Duff is African cause he is a Giraffe

Slash is English :P

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Axl looks so Irish to me, and Scottish. His real name is totally Scottish freedom fighter if ever I heard one :lol: 

If you sent him back in time, I could totally see him running around in his kilt fighting off the evil English. 

Yes, he does to me as well. Which is weird considering that he seems to get his looks mostly from his mother who appears to have only German ancestors.

But nothing about Axl's face and coloring looks German to me.

I think Axl has a pretty unusual face in general (weird facial structure and stuff like that), but the only people I can think of who look even remotely like him are Irish. He basically looks like a weird mix between Celtic and East Asian to me lol.

And yeah, very impish :lol: That's the perfect word, especially when he's smiling. It's one of the main things I can't resist about him :wub:

12 minutes ago, tiutso said:

When I was in Ireland and in the UK, I saw a lot of ginger people, but none who looked like Axl, unfortunately :max:

11 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

Yep. It's a historical divide, not a geographical one. Geographically speaking, there should be no reason for the Czech republic to be considered Eastern Europe, if Austria is considered Central/Western Europe. Looking at it this way we're either both Eastern Europe already, or both Central Europe lol.

6 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

- Hes beautiful even tho He wears female clothes

- From All of His family, I wonder if its only His Grandmother tht He likes?

Well Axl likes his brother and sister as well of course.

But I remember reading somewhere that Axl used to send his grandmother a fruit basket (or flowers? something like that) every month until she died.

Thought that was sweet of him. He must have really liked her. He also used to live with her.

• Like 2

Just now, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Slash is English :P

What with the hair, might as well be Welsh 

Edited by tiutso