GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

6 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Yeah, I've seen this one. Where's Ollie Fabeck and his Axl close-up when we need him? 

But thanks! :headbang:

Just seen this in another thread: (posted by Mateoson)

http://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/gpk-stickers/2016-gpk-american-as-apple-pie-in-your-face-overworked-axl-best-of-the-fest.html

It's fucking hilarious :rofl-lol:

overworkedaxl.jpg

I had absolutely NO idea that GPK were still around (or had made a comeback!). Whoever did this art really did their homework, LOL! Axl with his bandaged foot, on his throne. :D I wish they'd left off the mustache, though; that's thankfully gone!

Did anyone else like these back in the day? I remember they had some great ones.

32 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I absolutely hated gpk. I don't know if it's cos my sister loved them so much, and she managed to get my mum to get her one or what lol I sabotaged the thing and got grounded for a week. So I have no love for those creepy things. ;)

What are those?

32 minutes ago, tiutso said:

What are those?

They started in the late 80s - they were trading cards/stickers that were sold in packs of 5. Really popular with grade school kids; everyone tried to get the complete set. They made several different series. They were takeoffs on Cabbage Patch Kids - the CPK were very sweet and the Garbage Pail Kids were the exact opposite. Lots of jokes about death, vomit, snot - very grade school humor, with some pop culture references thrown in (they had cards that riffed on the Rocky Horror Show and Ronald Reagan IIRC). I had no idea they still existed though; I thought they went out sometime in the 90s. Some examples:

856f883d93cef2e2fce473fe94eb80ca.jpgac3008ada3030e2f32de3dfbaf71446f.jpg

OS1_Adam.jpg

Edited by stella

9 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Yeah, I've seen this one. Where's Ollie Fabeck and his Axl close-up when we need him? 

But thanks! :headbang:

Just seen this in another thread: (posted by Mateoson)

http://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/gpk-stickers/2016-gpk-american-as-apple-pie-in-your-face-overworked-axl-best-of-the-fest.html

It's fucking hilarious :rofl-lol:

overworkedaxl.jpg

They lurk this forum too:ph34r:ý

11 hours ago, stella said:

There have been full management credits for Slash and Duff's people in the tour brochure, etc. I very much doubt the two of them would have returned if Axl and TB were controlling everything. In addition it's been said by others here that decisions such as the participation of Izzy and Adler were made jointly, not by one member.

What it says? (in the tour brouchure) ..Of course the band promotes the three stars, they are three original members but the management machine is other thing.

I bet that the control continues in Axl´s hands for so many things (I wouldn´t like to tire you) but for example, see these 3 decisions of the band:

- Continues to play with Frank - on drums (instead of Steve: Slash´s buddy).

- Continues to play with Richard - on rhythm guitar (who has been working with Axl for 14 years now).

- The band hired a woman. I remember several times when Slash said in interviews -in the past- that a woman in a band would be a mistake, such a headache (in other words).

These are only 3 examples, I have much more.  I don´t read yet all the forum haha but judging for what happened in the past 16 years, only Axl could use the name of the band and that is the biggest proof.

10 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

He's trying not to look at everyone else talking together :( 

Come on, is one pic hahhaha. 

9 hours ago, Andy14 said:

So amazing hahhahahah :hahafyou::rofl-lol: poor axl !:lol:

Edited by Juliette

31 minutes ago, stella said:

They started in the late 80s - they were trading cards/stickers that were sold in packs of 5. Really popular with grade school kids; everyone tried to get the complete set. They made several different series. They were takeoffs on Cabbage Patch Kids - the CPK were very sweet and the Garbage Pail Kids were the exact opposite. Lots of jokes about death, vomit, snot - very grade school humor, with some pop culture references thrown in (they had cards that riffed on the Rocky Horror Show and Ronald Reagan IIRC). I had no idea they still existed though; I thought they went out sometime in the 90s. Some examples:

Huh, thanks for the explanation.

Wanted to say that collecting hards has always seemed a bit weird to me because I don't recall anyone around me doing this, then realized kids collected some kind of tokens with Pokemon on it :D

27 minutes ago, Juliette said:

I bet that the control continues in Axl´s hands for so many things (I wouldn´t like to tire you) but for example, see these 3 decisions of the band:

- Continues to play with Richard - on rhythm guitar (who have been working with Axl for 14 years now).

- The band hired a woman. I remember several times when Slash said in interviews -in the past- that a woman in a band would be a mistake, such a headache (in other words).

All of this is either plain wrong or just conjecture on your part.

Things between Steven and Slash aren't as buddy-buddy as you think they are. Sure, Slash is happy to give his old friend some closure now, but Slash has spent the last years actively avoiding and ignoring Steven.

Not even a year ago, Steven was still whining that Slash hates him, that he's always "too busy" to meet up with him, that he isn't answering his calls,...

There's a reason why Slash was avoiding Steven and has never involved him in any of his projects.

As for Richard, we don't know shit about why he's in the band and Izzy is not.

In contrast to Slash and Steven, Izzy and Axl actually are friends and have been getting along well since 2006 or so now. And they still seem to be on good terms. So I really don't think Axl somehow forced Izzy out of the band :facepalm: Most likely Izzy wanted more money than Slash, Duff and Axl were willing to offer him, considering that he's not part of the partnership. Contractual/business related issues like that. I really don't think it was solely Axl who decided "Izzy stays out."

As for Melissa, Slash seems to be getting along really well with her. People and their opinions change over the years. And let's face it, Slash was probably relieved he wouldn't have to deal with Pitman.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Juliette said:

What it says? (in the tour brouchure) ..Of course the band promotes the three stars, they are three original members but the management machine is other thing.

- Continues to play with Richard - on rhythm guitar (who has been working with Axl for 14 years now).

The management team credits for each of the Big Three are in the tour book.

- Steven's not in the loop. That's not just Axl. Steven actually said Slash and Duff don't like him or hang out with him in his "poor me" interview last year. Also, neither Slash nor Duff has touched Steven with a 10 foot pole over the past 26 years, other than one guest spot on Slash's album (after Steven was crying on Celebrity Rehab that oh noes, nobody liked him and Slash didn't either) and one offer for Steven's band to open for Duff (which Steven fucked up). Neither Slash nor Duff have ever invited Steven to drum for their bands, and they've had many opportunities over the past 26 years.

- Richard is there because they could not come to agreement with Izzy. And the rumor there was that Izzy wanted as much as the BIg Three without taking on any responsibilities and there was an impasse. Again, not Axl.

- Slash's mindset on this has possibly changed. Duff obviously doesn't mind women who play (he's produced several female bands and his daughter's in one) so if Axl and Duff both voted for Melissa's inclusion, they would have overruled Slash.

Duff and Slash have both said at various points that they would not return if Axl was dictating everything. They certainly were not hurting for $$ or other gigs to do; they didn't have to come back and I would imagine they would not have if they had not agreed to the three-way partnership. And if one looks at the way this tour was run - everything from the massive amounts of information on social media, to aggressive advertising, to merch - this is clearly being handled differently than NuGNR in most respects.

Edited by stella
  • Like 2

Final question: Through all your years of reporting on bands, what’s the best roadie story you’ve heard?
I heard some roadies talking about how something had to be “yellow-jacketed” and I [asked] “What is yellow-jacketing?” They said, “There was a guy that worked with Guns N’ Roses, and there was a show and Axl Rose needed a yellow jacket that he’d left in England before he would perform. So a roadie was given the job to get on a plane as fast as possible, go to London, find Axl Rose’s yellow jacket, and come back so he could play the show.” The best part about that story is notthat somebody had to go get a yellow jacket for Axl Rose, but that it became such lore among other roadies that it became a verb — to yellow-jacket.

I just came across this story on the net, wondering if anyone had seen it before.

1 hour ago, Juliette said:

These are only 3 examples, I have much more.  I don´t read yet all the forum haha but judging for what happened in the past 16 years, only Axl could use the name of the band and that is the biggest proof.

In addition to what @stella and @Frey said (the fact alone that Slash and Duff have their own management is proof that there's a partnership and the band is not under Axl's control, regardless of him still owning the name), another strong indication is the two guitarists' lineup instead of the three Axl had in the band all these years. If there's truth to what DJ Ashba said, that Axl wanted him in the reunion and he resigned because he didn't want to be an obstacle, it's obvious that Slash objected to Ashba's involvement. Maybe Slash would compromise with a three guitar lineup only if Izzy was involved, i.e. with both Izzy and Fortus, but he would not accept anyone else.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rock Hopper said:

Final question: Through all your years of reporting on bands, what’s the best roadie story you’ve heard?
I heard some roadies talking about how something had to be “yellow-jacketed” and I [asked] “What is yellow-jacketing?” They said, “There was a guy that worked with Guns N’ Roses, and there was a show and Axl Rose needed a yellow jacket that he’d left in England before he would perform. So a roadie was given the job to get on a plane as fast as possible, go to London, find Axl Rose’s yellow jacket, and come back so he could play the show.” The best part about that story is notthat somebody had to go get a yellow jacket for Axl Rose, but that it became such lore among other roadies that it became a verb — to yellow-jacket.

I just came across this story on the net, wondering if anyone had seen it before.

I have heard of this (Axl wore this yellow jacket in Rock in Rio 2011, a performance everyone wants to forget, including Axl), but I read somewhere that it isn't true and there is confusion with another occasion, when Axl was playing somewhere in England and had asked for a pair of jeans he had left in London.

There is another incident, according to Axl's former assistant. Axl used to drink a lot of Coca-Cola. In 1993 he had cans of Coca-Cola flown from America to Turkey, because he wanted specifically Classic Coke and there wasn't any in Turkey :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Frey said:

As for Richard, we don't know shit about why he's in the band and Izzy is not.

I think it's a pretty safe bet saying that they tried to make a deal with Izzy, he said on twitter that he wasn't involved in the april shows, if they haven't actually asked he would have responded like Sorum did that he wasn't even asked.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, giuls said:

I think it's a pretty safe bet saying that they tried to make a deal with Izzy, he said on twitter that he wasn't involved in the april shows, if they haven't actually asked he would have responded like Sorum did that he wasn't even asked.

Well yeah, I think so too (like I said in the rest of my post), but as long as we don't have confirmation, I'm not gonna treat it as a fact...

I think Izzy would have no idea about these summer US shows. 

There were talks about the reunion since 2014 according to Bumblefoot. He and other members were not told, he just heard the staff/management talking about it. 

I guess Axl, Slash and Duff would be negotiating. Then I assume Izzy would have been informed by mid 2015, but things din't work out.

Steven was not told for obvious reason, I assume he would have been told about his deal in December 2015, thats why he has given no interviews since then. I guess the Deal would be for 2 drummers on stage, I guess Fortus and Frank din't know what was going behind the scenes, they would have been informed by december too about these shows, Then I assume Steven hurt his back thats why Fernando thanked Frank for being there in a tweet. 

Izzy came to know about these April shows from the net.

Poor Matt was not even invited or told about it.

17 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I don't think Anyone on this thread wants to be at war with other readers of it. We all have different opinions 

I agree whole-heartedly with this.

OT, re: garbage pail kids.. I see Slash, and I guess Duff on the GnR side..but who are the other two???? :lol:  hmm..

• Like 1