GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

with the "We were never really that close anyway" narrative Slash tried to spin more recently (and which also gets touted a lot by random posters on this forum).

Which is exactly why I posted those quotes in the first place because suddenly everyone began to take it for granted that those two were never really close - a mistake of the size of an elephant, I say :)

Edited by Asia
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lumikki said:

This is a good point and I tend to agree with it.

Axl has always been pretty open and honest about his feelings, no matter what it made him look like (though he doesn't talk about them in public much anymore these days...), but Slash is a guy who's very concerned about his image and likes to "look cool". Having a weirdly charged and intense relationship with your crazy lead singer was probably kind of embarrassing to Slash in hindsight. Especially because Axl was talking a lot of shit about Slash during these years which probably hurt Slash's pride (not to mention his feelings), so he tried to downplay everything for that reason too.

(But as soon as they were talking to each other again, Slash also started saying nice things about Axl again. Not on the same level as back then, but at least he said some stuff about how Axl is one of his top 3 best frontmen of all time, how Axl is incredibly intelligent and talented, etc... :awesomeface:)

That sentence always makes me sad, because I can see it very clearly.

There's also this quote of Slash (from his book interestingly enough, because it goes against other things he says in there) comparing his break-up with Axl to his divorce with Renee:

Slash on splitting with Axl and divorce: In retrospect, it’s kind of interesting that I suddenly had disconnected with the two most long-term, closest relationships I had had up to that point, just a matter of months apart. (....)

Yes, very interesting, Slash, but what I think is even more interesting is that Axl apparently was one of only two people that Slash had his "most long-term and closest relationships" with at that point.

On the same level as his wife. Can't get much closer and higher on the list than that.

And another quote from Slash comparing his break-up with Axl to his divorce from Renee  http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=34

I couldn’t go on like that. It just appeared obvious to me that I had to leave, it was a question of survival. It’s been four years already… I haven’t talked to Axl since. Now that I think about it, I remember I divorced at about the same time ! (laughs) Let’s say I went through a difficult period of my life.

So that's four marriage/divorce analogies already (and by both of them!) :P

EDIT: No it's actually five times they've compared their relationship to a marriage/divorce, since I forgot to count the Snakepit story @Asia mentioned. :lol:

That story about Axl wanting to move in with Slash and them going house shopping together will always be one of my favorite Slaxl tidbits lol.

Makes me sad for Axl though, if he really was as excited about it as described. Must have been a huge disappointment for him when Slash backed out at the last moment.:wacko:

I had NO idea their relationship went that deep. I always just kind of thought that media and the fans had built their relationship up into something more than it was. Hearing all these little tidbits makes me feel SO much happier about the reunion, especially the coming together of these two, but also SO much more sad that they spent so much time apart from each other. It could've and should've happened A LOT sooner :facepalm: :(

@Lumikki The quotes post is AMAZING, love it.

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

with the "We were never really that close anyway" narrative Slash tried to spin more recently (and which also gets touted a lot by random posters on this forum).

Something doesn't really add up here, Slashy :lol:

I can see his reasoning, like, he said that the break up fucked him up bad and i can see him keeping on telling himself "stop feeling so bad, we weren't even that close" to stop himself feeling so shitty about the situation AND i don't think he liked being asked about Axl again and again, when they asked how it was, answering "we weren't close" stop follow-up questions about feelings.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, giuls said:

@Lumikki The quotes post is AMAZING, love it.

I can see his reasoning, like, he said that the break up fucked him up bad and i can see him keeping on telling himself "stop feeling so bad, we weren't even that close" to stop himself feeling so shitty about the situation AND i don't think he liked being asked about Axl again and again, when they asked how it was, answering "we weren't close" stop follow-up questions about feelings.

Yes, that sounds like a very human and believable reasoning. I'd probably react similarly. We always tell ourselves whatever helps to make us feel better.

• Like 1

@Lumikki great posts, both the quotes and the pics. I like Axl's innocent face in combination with his deep speaking voice, kinda confusing haha. There's another thing I notice, it's the fact that even though he's the oldest of the band, to me he always looked very very young, younger than the rest. It must have been his girly facial features. 

A bit OT. There's been discussion about a new bass player for ACDC on their forum and Duff is one of the names some of them would pick. But, there's a little (well...not so little) problem...:smiley-confused2:

"Duff McKagan is 6`3. I don`t want to see that giant on stage with Angus."

"Duff is a nice singer but he is really toooooo tall to stand next to Abgus on stage." 

:rofl-lol:

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

That is blatant tallism and it shouldn't be tolerated. 

Tall lives matter. 

As a quite tall person myself, I'll join the tall lives organization, with Duff as a chairman. :headbang:

#borntobetall

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kara said:

I had NO idea their relationship went that deep. I always just kind of thought that media and the fans had built their relationship up into something more than it was. 

I used to think that as well, but then I read Slash's book and this thread and learned all about them being weirdly obsessed with each other (even the guys from Insane Clown Posse say so lol), their bedroom adventures, Slash's Axl look alike wives, quotes like the ones below... And I even watched the various Slaxl videos that were posted here (where's the one by @Asia? That one was especially... interesting). 

And now I'll never be able to look at them the same way ever again :facepalm::lol:

3 hours ago, Lumikki said:

We'll just sit up all night and talk, and it's me and Axl talking. It goes beyond anything you could write down… (Slash, Tears Before Bedtime, Q, July 1991)

It's a matter of sitting down with somebody you love very much and like going 'you know let's try this' and he goes 'yeah, it's a great idea'

Me and Axl and Duff are obviously way the fuck more close and personal than they can even possibly put out in some magazine. (Coiled and Ready Rolling Stone, April 1995)

Slash on splitting with Axl and divorce: In retrospect, it’s kind of interesting that I suddenly had disconnected with the two most long-term, closest relationships I had had up to that point, just a matter of months apart. (....) (Anthony Bozza – Slash)

(...) There were moments there when I loved him to death (Anthony Bozza – Slash)

"Axl, it is said, is a notoriously difficult character to deal with. How do the two of you get along as people, outside the band?" "We love each other" [slash in "The Most Dangerous Band in the World by Mick Wall, 1988]

INTERVIEW: Do you think that having a relationship with a band has to do with the same things as having a relationship with a person?

AXL: Yes, l think so. Especially with Slash and it's definitely a marriage. (Interview Magazine, May, 1992)

Slash’s name pops up repeatedly, invoked in a way that suggests a shellshocked husband speaking of an ex-wife after a particularly horrific divorce. “It is a divorce,” Rose says with a sad stare.  (Rolling Stone, 2000)

I couldn’t go on like that. It just appeared obvious to me that I had to leave, it was a question of survival. It’s been four years already… I haven’t talked to Axl since. Now that I think about it, I remember I divorced at about the same time ! (laughs) Let’s say I went through a difficult period of my life.

(plus the quote @Asia described on the previous page - "I remember how in the first snakepit era he was saying in one of the MTV interviews that he and Axl are a marriage just without the opposite sex. And Eric Dover interfered to add that also without consumating. It was kinda funny." - and of course Axl wanting to buy a house together with Slash :awesomeface:)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

Which one? Cause even tho I know He's androgynous N' looks girly but I always hard to see Him as a girl

No specific one, just pictures like some of the ones Lumikki posted. 

Put some make-up on him, put him in a dress or other girly clothes and add some more girly accessories and most people would mistake him for a chick as long as he keeps his mouth shut.

4 hours ago, Lumikki said:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/Axl/19365103662432988407100.jpg~original

In that great GQ (or Esquire...I always forget, but it was one of those type mags) piece from around 2006, one of Axl's Indiana friends mentioned that the police used to mistake him for a girl and sexually harass him as he was walking down the street - and then when he turned around and they saw that he was a guy, they went after him. 

I remember reading that Axl was teeny tiny when GnR first started - no wonder, they didn't have enough money for food and such - and weighed about 138 lbs. So you have a short, thin man with long hair and a very interesting style of dressing. Is it possible that someone might have thought he was a girl if they saw him from behind, walking down the street? I think so. This photo shows how easily that mistake could be made.

From a med perspective, it looks like he's hyperextending his right knee in that photo. Ouch.

Edited by stella
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Frey said:

No specific one, just pictures like some of the ones Lumikki posted. 

Put some make-up on him, put him in a dress or other girly clothes and add some more girly accessories and most people would mistake him for a chick as long as he keeps his mouth shut.

Lol, that's something absolutely impossible :rofl-lol:

Here's another pic to the collection 

Výsledek obrázku

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Izzy thinking while smoking his cigarette with style: Those fucking morons will ruin everything. I can already foresee it because well, I'm very special. Steven will get fired because he's an idiot. I'll quit and move to Timbuktu. Slash and Axl will have the most bitter divorce in history and Duff will have domestic violence issues with his pancreas. In 2016 something obnoxious called Team Brazil will be in charge of GNR, they will reunite and milk AFD once again but won't share the loot with me. I'll tweet about it like a grumpy old man on menopause and fans will hate me but I won't give a fuck because I'm Izzy fucking Stradlin. A pokemon with green hair will join them on stage, Steven will be there as their official mascot and a weird dude will pretend to be as cool as me but fail at it. A little bitch by the name of Dizzy Reed will be there as well. Fuck that mess. I will always love my dog.

Go play in traffic you all:max::fuckyou:

LOL this is the post of the week 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Frey said:

I used to think that as well, but then I read Slash's book and this thread and learned all about them being weirdly obsessed with each other (even the guys from Insane Clown Posse say so lol), their bedroom adventures, Slash's Axl look alike wives, quotes like the ones below... And I even watched the various Slaxl videos that were posted here (where's the one by @Asia? That one was especially... interesting). 

And now I'll never be able to look at them the same way ever again :facepalm::lol:

Wow sounds like I have a lot to catch up on! I know they're probably scattered throughout this thread, but I'd love to see the slaxl videos too!  :heart:

What I'd always heard Slash say, more recently, was that line about he and Axl not being all that close. But now that I see all these other quotes from back then, he's clearly trying to downplay their relationship. My guess is he was probably sick to death of being constantly asked about Axl everywhere he went and so he pretended not to care all that much.

3 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

One of the best things about Izzy is his attitude in photoshoots IMO. He always looks either judgemental about the idiots he's surrounded by (like here) or rather concerned/worried about... whatever (I'm sure there was enough for him to be concerned and worried about). And if it's neither of these things, then he usually just looks done with this shit :P

Spot on. That's why I love him.

16 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

LOL this is the post of the week 

I'm having a manic monday. More from "The tales of Izzy Stradlin" coming soon as long as we have new GNR developments/drama. 

FYI: Izzy also had visions of towels, KFC buckets and emo clowns but wasn't high enough on heroin to decipher them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Yes, I remember reading that story about police sexually harassing him.

I have no trouble believing that happened at all.

But from other things Axl (and Izzy, Slash, etc.) have said, I get the impression that people hitting on him/harrassing him actually was a quite frequent occurence and not just limited to nasty police officers. I only wish he'd learned something about misogyny and sexism from that instead of letting it fuel his homophobia :rolleyes:

I agree. It does unfortunately seem as though it might have occurred quite often, and in different situations. There's that St. Louis hitchhiking story we've talked about here, but I'm guessing there were many more, especially when the band was not in a major city like LA or NYC. I remember reading another interview where Axl mentioned that he and Slash had been chased out of a store at knifepoint by a guy who didn't like the way they were dressed. With the makeup and long hair, I'm guessing there was also a bit of homophobia/transphobia at play in some of those incidents - that some people misconstrued the makeup and long hair as being associated with being trans or gay and harassed them all the more.

And I agree, that would have been nice if he'd learned more about sexism and misogyny from that...seeing that the negative way he was treated was something that women had to deal with all the time, as well as gay men and transpeople.

Edited by stella

7 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

It's bittersweet, isn't it? I'm so glad they're back together, but thinking of all the time they've wasted just makes me feel sad.

The thing with Axl and Slash is that they met when they were pretty young, when Slash was still a teenager. Axl used to live with Slash's family for a while, they slept in the same room etc. Slash talks about it in his book and Axl seems to have pretty fond memories of that time as well; he apparently told a story to some girls that got to go backstage about the time when he and Slash were still "kids" and jumped around on Slash's grandmother's bed and then Slash's grandma stormed in and yelled at them lol.

Later on when they lived in that little storage space, they used to sleep in one bed. Technically speaking they also had sex together, considering all the threesomes the two of them apparently had with random girls (and according to Adriana Smith Axl likes having Slash in bed with him :rolleyes:). They lived through poverty together and became famous together and I think it's fair to say that most of the pressure associated with fame and GNR rested on their shoulders. They handled most of the business side of the band together as well. During other Slaxl discussions in this thread, someone (@killuridols maybe?) said something about how you can't really do all that and live through all of that without forming some kind of bond and I think that's true. So I'm not surprised at all that their break-up hit both of them so hard.

Although I would have of course preferred that we wouldn't have had to suffer through years of them writing bitter break-up songs about each other and them saying nasty things about each other. They should have just gone to a marriage counselor together, like Marc Canter suggested.

It's really such a shame that both their egos and inability to get over their over stubbornness kept them from getting back to each other for so long. Had they been more mature about the whole thing, counseling could've been a big help. But ultimately, it had to happen when they were both ready for it to and no one else was going to force it.

Seriously, all of this is so friggin' cute! They basically carried on like brothers and I always wondered why the public wished for a reconciliation after all these years. That's exactly why! Even without knowing all the details of their relationship, I was always able to see that bond they share. Like u said, there's no way they'd be able to go through the things they did and not care a deal about each other. 

5 minutes ago, Kara said:

But ultimately, it had to happen when they were both ready for it to and no one else was going to force it.

I think that's the truth of it - IMHO it's not about maturity as much as it's about them both being in a place where they were ready. By all accounts both Axl and Slash had a really hard time with a lot of different things in the late 90s and 2000s - those external stresses probably played a big role in not letting them be in a place where they could think about it all clearly. Sometimes you just need that time away to figure things out.

• Like 2

I love this thread. I'm glad it's back to topics most of us enjoy reading and discussing :lol:, especially now that the main section is such a bummer with the Izzy debate going on and on in circles and with all these NuGuns nostalgia threads :facepalm:

RE: Slaxl. Their relationship/"marriage" (as themselves have described it), regardless of whether there was consummation involved or not :lol:, has a lot of parallels with that of a couple. When they were talking about it, they were telling how much they loved each other, but they were also often stressing how different people they were, like polar opposites. Slash has said that even during periods they were at odds, when they were on stage or in a creative mode everything felt right, because of the very strong chemistry between them. It's like a couple having a dysfunctional relationship due to lack of communication and character differences, but being a perfect match in bed.

RE: Axl's physique/looks: Imo Axl looked androgynous, but, with some exceptions like the photos @Lumikkiposted above, not girly in general. Although his face was very beautiful and sometimes he looked angelic, it wasn't the type of angelic baby face that resembles to a girly-like beauty. Baz, for example, had that kind of face; he looked girly, but not androgynous.

• Like 3