GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

23 minutes ago, stella said:

I agree. It does unfortunately seem as though it might have occurred quite often, and in different situations. There's that St. Louis hitchhiking story we've talked about here, but I'm guessing there were many more, especially when the band was not in a major city like LA or NYC. I remember reading another interview where Axl mentioned that he and Slash had been chased out of a store at knifepoint by a guy who didn't like the way they were dressed. With the makeup and long hair, I'm guessing there was also a bit of homophobia/transphobia at play in some of those incidents - that some people misconstrued the makeup and long hair as being associated with being trans or gay and harassed them all the more.

And I agree, that would have been nice if he'd learned more about sexism and misogyny from that...seeing that the negative way he was treated was something that women had to deal with all the time, as well as gay men and transpeople.

Yeah. I also think Axl was pretty bothered by the fact that he looked rather feminine, judging by comments like him saying that he got tattoos so that he "wouldn't look like a fucking chick anymore". Apart from that being a pretty dumb reason to get tattoos, I think it's a pretty telling comment about what was going on in his head at the time. And it sort of sounds like he got mistaken for "a chick" a lot.

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I love this thread. I'm glad it's back to topics most of us enjoy reading and discussing :lol:, especially now that the main section is such a bummer with the Izzy debate going on and on in circles and with all these NuGuns nostalgia threads :facepalm:

RE: Slaxl. Their relationship/"marriage" (as themselves have described it), regardless of whether there was consummation involved or not :lol:, has a lot of parallels with that of a couple. When they were talking about it, they were telling how much they loved each other, but they were also often stressing how different people they were, like polar opposites. Slash has said that even during periods they were at odds, when they were on stage or in a creative mode everything felt right, because of the very strong chemistry between them. It's like a couple having a dysfunctional relationship due to lack of communication and character differences, but being a perfect match in bed.

RE: Axl's physique/looks: Imo Axl looked androgynous, but, with some exceptions like the photos @Lumikkiposted above, not girly in general. Although his face was very beautiful and sometimes he looked angelic, it wasn't the type of angelic baby face that resembles to a girly-like beauty. Baz, for example, had that kind of face; he looked girly, but not androgynous.

I honestly feel for Slash on that one. I'm not saying Slash is a saint (far from it, and there are tons of things about Slash that would have been difficult for Axl to deal with- the drug addiction, passive-aggressiveness and lying maybe,...), but his frustration and helplessness when it comes to Axl often comes through in the things he says. Like the thing about him trying to help and trying to be a good friend, but ultimately also having to think of himself, or Axl's craziness driving him crazier than it does Axl, or him barely being able to comprehend half the things Axl told him about his past... I think Slash really might have been in over his head sometimes with Axl.

(And I wonder if things could have turned out differently maybe if Slash had been the older one of the two instead of Axl. If Slash had been a couple of years older than Axl and had the maturity and "wisdom" to go with that, he might have been in a slightly better position to be able to deal with Axl.)

---------------------------------------------------

@Kara: I think that's the Slaxl video by @Asia that @Frey mentioned. It's basically 5 minutes of Axl and Slash cuddling and therefore adorable :heart:

And these were posted in this thread as well at one point (though I just saw there are even more on Youtube by now lol):

And if you come across that video of Axl and Slash supposedly kissing, well it only looks that way most likely due to crappy video quality :P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stella said:

From a med perspective, it looks like he's hyperextending his right knee in that photo. Ouch.

What exactly does that mean or indicate? 

1 hour ago, Andy14 said:

Lol, that's something absolutely impossible :rofl-lol:

Here's another pic to the collection 

Výsledek obrázku

Yeah, you're right, Axl loves to hear himself talk and make others listen to him :lol:

20 minutes ago, Babooshka said:

I never knew about the house buying thing. I agree that it was probably a let down for Axl to be the one who wanted more commitment.

It was mentioned not too long ago in this thread (by @Asia again iirc). It's from an interview in Mick Wall's book or something.

Apparently Axl wanted to live with Slash and was really excited about that idea. But then Slash got cold feet and backed out, claiming the houses Axl liked were "too elegant" for him. Really sounds like he was  just terrified by the prospect of living with Axl and all that entails :lol:

3 hours ago, giuls said:

Talking about other famous people with GNR shirt, Jason Momoa wore one too and he's actually a fan, he wished Slash happy birthday on IG

tumblr_oasey2bQzh1rei3gfo1_400.png

Yes, he also went to Axl/DC concert in London (I think) :)

Cool guy, though I hated his role in Game of Thrones :D

55 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Yeah. I also think Axl was pretty bothered by the fact that he looked rather feminine, judging by comments like him saying that he got tattoos so that he "wouldn't look like a fucking chick anymore". Apart from that being a pretty dumb reason to get tattoos, I think it's a pretty telling comment about what was going on in his head at the time. And it sort of sounds like he got mistaken for "a chick" a lot.

They way he flicks his hair, that is a man who is used to being pretty and loves it. I think he was just protesting too much with those statements, he's always seemed to enjoy being the pretty one. Which is why he then messed with his face imo. Trying to hold on to those looks.

1 hour ago, Babooshka said:

I never knew about the house buying thing. I agree that it was probably a let down for Axl to be the one who wanted more commitment.

I just checked and fount the original post by Asia:

On 4.9.2016 at 11:39 PM, Asia said:

It's in Mick Wall's book - The Most Dangerous Band in the World in an interview with Slash. It was after the Appetite tour and while making UYI. Axl wanted them to buy a house together and live together and he was supposedly (according to Slash) very much into it and very excited about it. They even watched the houses and were about to pick one but Slash finally decided the ones Axl likes are too elegant for him :shrugs:

Honestly though I think that the real reason Slash backed out was that these were the times of his greatest intoxication and I bet he knew Axl wouldn't let him to get high as a kite 24-hours a day, had he been with him all the time ;) I bet he didn't want that control and too bad cause it sure would do him good.

Anyway the funny thing is that Axl is always portrayed as the one who kept himself at a distance or whatever while a lot of the evidence we have suggest exacty the opposite. He was the one who wanted to live with Slash, he was the one who wanted them to go to Indiana and live and record together there, so it's sort of true that they are twisting things around to an extent. To me it seems that quite often they were the ones running away from him with their drugs in order to escape his control and then making up other explanations for their behavior.

Honestly, even as someone who isn't really into the whole Slaxl thing the same way you girls are, I think that's some pretty interesting info. 

15 minutes ago, Babooshka said:

They way he flicks his hair, that is a man who is used to being pretty and loves it. I think he was just protesting too much with those statements, he's always seemed to enjoy being the pretty one. Which is why he then messed with his face imo. Trying to hold on to those looks.

I don't know, many guys with longer hair just do that because the hair gets in the way. I know a lot of guys like that and I certainly wouldn't call them pretty :lol: And it's not like Axl messed with his face all that much, just some botox or chemical peels or whatever. But apart from that his face always stayed the same. 

1 hour ago, Frey said:

What exactly does that mean or indicate? 

For some people (like me and I think @triad mentioned below) it just means they're double-jointed weirdos. :) But it also can mean there's a ligament issue or set the knee up for injury because normally there are ligaments that hold the knee in position and keep it from bending too far backward. In rare cases when people have super flexible joints they can have something like Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which is a real (literal) pain, but I don't think that's Axl's case, of course. I hope he's just a double-jointed weirdo like the rest of us. :D 

8 hours ago, giuls said:

It’s been four years already… I haven’t talked to Axl since. Now that I think about it, I remember I divorced at about the same time ! (laughs) Let’s say I went through a difficult period of my life.

For some reason I always thought that the rift with Axl didn't cut Slash quite as deeply as it did Axl..but reading these words, it affected him really deeply too. Makes those moments that they are sharing on stage now even all the more special.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Rose said:

For some reason I always thought that the rift with Axl didn't cut Slash quite as deeply as it did Axl..but reading these words, it affected him really deeply too. Makes those moments that they are sharing on stage now even all the more special.

Yeah right<_< What about tht Axl's House incident where Slash on drunk state wants to meet N' reconcile with Axl :max:

About Slaxl moments, don't forget tht Slash still keeps rocking Dino on special place on His house, the gift from Axl even when They are on feuds, He still keeps it. He even told Everyone to not touch N' use tht rocking Dino :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

Yeah right<_< What about tht Axl's House incident where Slash on drunk state wants to meet N' reconcile with Axl :max:

True, there is that, but I had originally put it more down to the fact that he wasn't happy with his current band...I guess there was way more to it! He must have really wanted to make things right between them, just think how much courage and swallowing of pride it must have taken to walk up and ring that bell...

7 hours ago, Lumikki said:

I honestly feel for Slash on that one. I'm not saying Slash is a saint (far from it, and there are tons of things about Slash that would have been difficult for Axl to deal with- the drug addiction, passive-aggressiveness and lying maybe,...), but his frustration and helplessness when it comes to Axl often comes through in the things he says. Like the thing about him trying to help and trying to be a good friend, but ultimately also having to think of himself, or Axl's craziness driving him crazier than it does Axl, or him barely being able to comprehend half the things Axl told him about his past... I think Slash really might have been in over his head sometimes with Axl.

(And I wonder if things could have turned out differently maybe if Slash had been the older one of the two instead of Axl. If Slash had been a couple of years older than Axl and had the maturity and "wisdom" to go with that, he might have been in a slightly better position to be able to deal with Axl.)

---------------------------------------------------

@Kara: I think that's the Slaxl video by @Asia that @Frey mentioned. It's basically 5 minutes of Axl and Slash cuddling and therefore adorable :heart:

And these were posted in this thread as well at one point (though I just saw there are even more on Youtube by now lol):

And if you come across that video of Axl and Slash supposedly kissing, well it only looks that way most likely due to crappy video quality :P

Appetite for Affection.

Do we know of any other bands that shows this much level of affection? Anybody?

Edited by Mararoyce
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mararoyce said:

Appetite for Affection.

Do we know of any other bands that shows this much level of affection? Anybody?

The Cure. There are photos and photos of the various members of that band kissing each other full on and snuggling. Like all the time.

Aerosmith, if we're talking Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, and like Axl and Slash they've had their bad and good moments.

The White Stripes or Sonic Youth, since there were married (or previously married) couples there... :D

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mararoyce said:

Do we know of any other bands that shows this much level of affection?

Come on, MCR and Panic! At the Disco were the embodiment of 'stage gay' :lol: So much so, there are absolutely convincingly laid out theories of some members having been in a sort of secret relationship?

The Last Shadow Puppets are active now. They pretty much sing all the songs embracing :D

The Libertines?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, giuls said:

Talking about other famous people with GNR shirt, Jason Momoa wore one too and he's actually a fan, he wished Slash happy birthday on IG

tumblr_oasey2bQzh1rei3gfo1_400.png

At least with him we can be sure that he knows the songs and is a real fan :)

Just saw on his IG Page that he got a Marshall Slash amp :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lilacmess said:

Hi everyone! Thanks for a highly enjoyable thread!

I've just come across this quote from Axl from the 2000 Roling Stone interview:

Even when it came to picking tracks for the recent Live Era '87-'93 retrospective, Rose and Slash – whom Rose describes as "negatively seductive" – communicated their song selections only through intermediaries. "I never said that I was bitter," Rose explains, characteristically concerned with making fine distinctions. "Hurt, yeah. Disappointed. I mean, with Slash, I remember crying about all kinds of things in my life, but I had never felt hot, burning tears … hot, burning tears of anger. Basically, to me, it was because I am watching this guy and I don't understand it. Playing with everyone from Space Ghost to Michael Jackson. I don't get it. I wanted the world to love and respect him. I just watched him throw it away."

The "negatively seductive" part reminds me of Madagascar's lyrics, especially this

"For the many times, what seemed like a memory
I've searched and found the ways
You used to lure me in
Oh, I found the ways, oh, why it had to be
Mired in denial, and so afraid"

What do you guys think?

All of these Slaxl stories:drool: altnation should be gone from this forum so tht We can bring Dexter N' Slash here N' tell Us the truth about Their relationship :max:

21 minutes ago, lilacmess said:

Even when it came to picking tracks for the recent Live Era '87-'93 retrospective, Rose and Slash – whom Rose describes as "negatively seductive" – communicated their song selections only through intermediaries. "I never said that I was bitter," Rose explains, characteristically concerned with making fine distinctions. "Hurt, yeah. Disappointed. I mean, with Slash, I remember crying about all kinds of things in my life, but I had never felt hot, burning tears … hot, burning tears of anger. Basically, to me, it was because I am watching this guy and I don't understand it. Playing with everyone from Space Ghost to Michael Jackson. I don't get it. I wanted the world to love and respect him. I just watched him throw it away."

The "negatively seductive" part reminds me of Madagascar's lyrics, especially this

You used to lure me in

What do you guys think?

If you ask me I definitely think Madagascar is exactly about the band breakup ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lumikki said:

Axl meanwhile just chose to stay really bitter and hurt and didn't even try to hide it...

13 hours ago, Lumikki said:

They had very different ways of dealing with feelings, true, Slash buried that shit deep with the occasional burst of emotion (like the ICP dude accident) meanwhile Axl, like you said, dwell on the situation without moving on and i don't think it would have changed anything with Slash being older because it seems to me like this fundamental difference was "mitigated" quite recently, like @Blackstar said they were like a couple who may love each other a lot but they didn't communicate.

You add to that the fact that Axl was unstable, Slash's addictions, the weight of fame and it was a recipe for disaster even if Slash was older, i feel sad for them because they were bitter and fixated on each other for a long time but i believe that now it was the only time they could have it worked out and they did, thanks god.

And the "Axl's craziness drives me crazier than Axl" is still big no, nope, Slash.

50 minutes ago, lilacmess said:

You used to lure me in

What do you guys think?

I love the "negative seductive" quote and it could very well be, it makes sense.

Edited by giuls
  • Like 2