GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

1 minute ago, Jane M. said:

WTF. This thread is crazy. 

@MillionsOfSpiders didn't you quote me a while ago? (I got a notification) That post is missing. Anyways, I agree with what you said.

Yes my phone messed it all up and it annoyed me so I deleted it lol 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

29 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

LOL:lol:

Stupid phones. I know the struggle.

I just put how from the images we have seen of inside Axls house it looks like one of  the most down to earth houses I've seen of a big celebrity. Doesn't look to me like a rock stars house lol. 

I find it odd that his touring lifestyle seems so out of sync with his home life. 

I would expect his house to be all luxury and tack, but it doesn't look it :shrugs:

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jane M. said:

Judging by @killuridols insight (thanks for that) Axl seems like a very flamboyant person. lol Very high maintenance and pretentious. God what a handful. A good match for him would be Mariah Carey, too bad she ain't 21. 

I understand and relate to Izzy more and more everyday.

He is someone who needed great deal of help because of the horrible childhood problems he had. But he never got real professional help. He got weird ass people and lame ass regression therapy. On top of that only yes men around him. Now I think it's too late to see great changes.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Padme said:

He is someone who needed great deal of help because of the horrible childhood problems he had. But he never got real professional help. He got weird ass people and lame ass regression therapy. On top of that only yes men around him. Now I think it's too late to see great changes.

It's never too late my friend. As a black woman who grew up having to endure some of the same things Axl did, it changed me in a great deal of ways. I became a sex addict with a chip on my shoulder and at 35 was told I was a lost cause....well now five years later I no longer have that chip on my shoulder and those around me can tell the difference.  So there is still hope Mr. Rose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

It's never too late my friend. As a black woman who grew up having to endure some of the same things Axl did, it changed me in a great deal of ways. I became a sex addict with a chip on my shoulder and at 35 was told I was a lost cause....well now five years later I no longer have that chip on my shoulder and those around me can tell the difference.  So there is still hope Mr. Rose.

I think she means that he's never going to be totally fine and functional, setting aside the traumas that (until recently?) he didn't get help for, he's surrounded by people that enable him and he lives in a way that doesn't really land itself to a "calm" life style, he's waaaaay better than he was, thou, and i'm happy for him as long as he's happy.

Edited by giuls
  • Like 3

Just now, giuls said:

I think she means that he's never going to be totally fine and functional, setting aside the traumas that (until recently?) he didn't get help for, he's surrounded by people that enable him and he lives in a way that doesn't really land himself to a "calm" life style, he's waaaaay better than he was, thou, and i'm happy for him as long as he happy.

I can dig that. And you are absolutely correct.

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

First of all:  @killuridols have a great time! :headbang:

Axl's life style: One can say Axl is a poser, pretentious etc and that's all there is (many people have this opinion on him), but I think most people in this thread agree that he's much more complicated than that. We have discussed this thoroughly before. Axl always (or at least since he became successful) liked grandiosity and luxury; he stated so himself, he never hid it, and in that sense he wasn't a poser. He saw nothing wrong in him being a rockstar and he didn't understand why other people thought of that as a negative thing and they didn't like him because of it. At that time (early nineties) he was making an effort to deal with his issues through "regression therapy", but although he managed to get over some of those things, he was still far from being a mentally stable and balanced person; he developed other issues, mainly a delusion of grandeur. But now I don't think it's about that, i.e. being a rockstar or feeling superior etc. It's more a comfort zone for him.

And I agree that this is a very interesting remark (welcome, btw :) ):

I think some quotes from this interview back your point. It was the only time in the recent years Axl opened up a bit about his feelings:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2012/10/30/axl-rose-exclusive-interview-gnr-vegas-residency/1669311/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2012/10/30/axl-rose-on-gnr-music-more/1669329/

In GNR's early years, Rose worked out the "angst, frustration and rebellion" of his painful upbringing on stage and off.

"I was expressing my emotions and took that as far as you can and still be alive," he says. "I could beat my mike stand into the stage but I was still in pain. Maybe fans liked it, but sometimes people forget you're a person and they're more into the entertainment value. It's taken a long time to turn that around and give a strong show without it being a kamikaze show.

During his reclusive years before the release of Chinese, "I spent a lot of time in Vegas and didn't get bothered. I wasn't gambling or partying at the time. I'd go walking at night, just watching people. I was out more than people thought."

Divorced and unattached, Rose says the Vegas stint could prove risky.

"I've been married in Vegas before," to model Erin Everly in 1990, he says. "This could be my demise."

Seclusion and ducking the media: "I just didn't go places where media was. I wasn't interested at the time. If the place to go was some restaurant in Hollywood, I went to the Valley. There was so much negativity, I didn't see any way to go public. I felt I was going to be slammed. The rock entertainment world just wanted to sell magazines."

Psychological issues: "I worked out a lot of them. It was strange to get successful and lose almost your entire family. Then you end up with daytime TV talk shows. All of a sudden, things considered horrific when I was growing up were so what? You were abused? Who cares? There should be more of a public acknowledgement of reality. When I talked to Rolling Stone about it, I thought people would take a harder look at my stepdad. Instead, they came down harder on me. That's still confusing to me. But surviving at any level is good. I'm a lot better than a lot of people predicted. They were rooting for the opposite. There were things on the Internet about how I'd be found dead. I had a very dark attitude."

I'd like to comment more on this subject, but I feel exhausted after a very long day (I don't know if I'll manage to stay up for the show :( )

I've been reading a book called "Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge". Actually it's a collection of quotes from people associated, as the title states, with the grunge movement. There are a couple of very interesting bits about Axl, mainly in relation to Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love, that I haven't heard before, which give some more insight on his personality. Has anyone else read it?

Thank you for the warm welcome. I will definitely be reading this interview as well as the book.

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I just put how from the images we have seen of inside Axls house it looks like one of  the most down to earth houses I've seen of a big celebrity. Doesn't look to me like a rock stars house lol. 

I find it odd that his touring lifestyle seems so out of sync with his home life. 

I would expect his house to be all luxury and tack, but it doesn't look it :shrugs:

Right?! I was so surprised the first time I saw pictures of his house, especiallly his kitchen. It looks like a normal person's kitchen. Kinda messy, well-used, a bit old-fashioned and with mismatched furniture. And the puppy calender :lol:

Compared with for example the kitchen (and other rooms) in the house Slash used to live in with Perla, it looks shockingly average and down-to-earth, while Slash's place looked like what you'd expect from a millionaire rockstar (posh and kinda trashy). Thought that probably was Perla's fault and not Slash's.

And yet Axl apparently needs to stay in poser-ish luxury hotels. It really is a bit of paradox.

:monkey:

2 hours ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

I agree. I like to think it's never too late for anyone, no matter how old. And Axl seems to have made amazing strides recently, so who knows where this is going.

4 hours ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

I couldn't agree with you more and lets not forget how close Axl and Slash were. Even though I know it's not the case, Slaxl almost blurred the line between good friends and lovers...jmo

You'll find a lot of people here who'll agree with you on that one :P

@killuridols Enjoy this epic show!

@Blackstar Never seen that interview before, thanks for posting. Interesting that he's still upset about the reaction(s) he got after the Rolling Stone interview. And the talk show thing. Not that I blame him or anything, but it shows that his past and childhood still occuppy his mind quite a bit.

Never read the book you mentioned, but I'm curious about the Axl stuff in there now. When you've gotten some sleep, please share :lol:

Edited by Frey
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This obviously has to do with the new age stuff. It seems that Axl was scared of her. I've been wondering if there was a back story between them. Courtney Love was a stripper in L.A. for some time and I remember reading her saying that one of the reasons Kurt hated Axl was the stories from strip clubs she was telling him.

That's interesting. It would explain why Kurt was so vehemently against Axl. I never liked how he went for Axl and GNR with that "too cool for you" attitude. He seemed to revel in putting Axl down and the media lapped it up.

Just now, Babooshka said:

That's interesting. It would explain why Kurt was so vehemently against Axl. I never liked how he went for Axl and GNR with that "too cool for you" attitude. He seemed to revel in putting Axl down and the media lapped it up.

And Courtney Love is hardly the epitome of goodness and truth is she? Her own daughter can tell you that. 

17 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Just seen in the show thread GnR and when I say GnR I mean Axl were nearly an hour late tonight. Now I'm going to start worrying :nervous:

slash will leave :( 

Yeah, I know. They were 45 minutes late at a US show because there were still fans entering the venue. Maybe it was for a similar reason tonight.

Edited by Blackstar