GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

25 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

Has anyone else read this? It's interesting even though it reads like a fanfiction at times....

considering that it's from 1988, yes, a lot of us have read this :lol:

@SerenityScorp happy birthday from me too, as i seem to have an uncanny ability to miss everybody's around here

1 hour ago, KiraMPD said:

I don't know why, but I just stumbled across this old article:-

"The Hard Truth About Guns N' Roses" - Finally, some bad boys who are good

rs-193959-83905899.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-hard-truth-about-guns-n-roses-19881117

Has anyone else read this? It's interesting even though it reads like a fanfiction at times....

Yes, I've read this and I agree that it reads like (bad) fanfiction or Tumblr crap at times. Especially this part:

A second ago, things were merely tense.

Izzy Stradlin, Guns n' Roses' scruffy rhythm guitarist, is slumped on a dressing-room counter, sullenly draining his second bottle of red wine and testing the wattage of a portable stereo.

Sitting on a couch, trying to talk above the racket, are Axl Rose, the group's singer, and Slash, the lead guitarist. Slash, whose copper skin is still wet from a post-concert shower, is wearing shorts and holding a bottle of Jack Daniels, his only constant companion. Axl is wearing jeans, cowboy boots and a T-shirt that says, WELCOME TO DETROIT, MURDER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD. Axl and Slash are getting increasingly angry with Izzy, who grins obliviously and cranks up the Rolling Stones' "Stupid Girl."

At the base of the wall nearest the door, there is a fresh hole the exact size of Axl's boot. This evening's concert, the last of three mid-August dates opening for Aerosmith at Pine Knob Music Theatre, near Detroit, went so poorly that the band left the stage five minutes early. And when the Gunners don't play well, trouble ensues. While the band members sit in the dressing room, their sound mixer and a bus driver are being fired for alleged incompetence.

Suddenly, there's an explosion. "Violent mood swing!" shouts Izzy, rolling from the counter. A bottle of vodka flies from his hand and smashes against the far wall. "Mood swing!" shouts Axl, leaping from the couch. He grabs a vase filled with roses and pitches it in the same direction.

Just as quickly, Izzy and Axl are seated again. But all that smashed glass hasn't relieved the tension. The bottle of vodka belonged to bassist Duff "Rose" McKagan, who is now without his favorite liquor and is therefore enraged. Slash, too, is pissed at Izzy, who still won't turn down the stereo.

"This is entertaining," says Axl, watching and smiling.

After Slash and Duff have finished yelling at him, Izzy turns remorseful. "Fuckin' Duff, man. I never like to break his vodka. I know he loves that vodka."

It has a lot of clichéd fanfiction characterisation:

Izzy being a little shit

Axl thriving on violence and chaos

Slash being sexy and liking whisky

Duff loves vodka and that's it

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Izzy being a little shit

Duff loves vodka and nothing else

Very true. However, sometimes I wonder whether those characterisation were just cliché assigned to them is there was more truth to them than we think. Izzy was a little shit, Slash described him as the "instigator" in his book. Axl was (and maybe still is) temperamental and we've seen evidence of this in concerts and form many individual accounts. Duff did like his vodka, to the point where it nearly killed him. Slash was the quiet one, likely trying to concentrate on the interview for once, so he only comes across as the cool drunk...

• Like 3

On 11/14/2016 at 11:32 AM, SerenityScorp said:

Thx! Your first post on this thread is for Me :hug:

Welcome to Women's Thread! We can talk more about Izzy, Izzy tshirt    N' how Izzy run away in here

Happy Belated Birthday SerenityScorp. Newbie here.:takethat:

4 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

rs-193959-83905899.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-hard-truth-about-guns-n-roses-19881117

"Slash, whose copper skin is still wet from a post-concert shower," Can't concentrate on anything after this point. :drool: 

What many of us wouldn't give to have been that interviewer. 

9 hours ago, Andy14 said:

I think it was 8:45. Everything before noon is early for this guy :smiley-confused2:

15085555_10154878910758706_6393189360012

:heart: 

Hmmmm....nice belly there Axl :P Looks like our little ginger is hitting the gym after all, and it looks damn good.

Pleasegoshirtless Pleasegoshirtless Pleasegoshirtless Pleasegoshirtless

1 minute ago, money honey said:

"Slash, whose copper skin is still wet from a post-concert shower," Can't concentrate on anything after this point. :drool: 

What many of us wouldn't give to have been that interviewer. 

LAWD YES!!!!

5 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

rs-193959-83905899.jpg

You can read that and many other stories/interviews from those years on the RS special collectors edition. The pics are great too.

Okay, it's time for Rocketqueen76's weekly Axl Rose analysis....

We all wonder where the rasp in his voice  ran off to and I think I know the answer. Axl is no longer chain smoking Marlboros (or at least I don't think  so) so he doesn't have the nicotine to help roughen up those lovely vocal chords. Don't get me wrong, his voice is as lovely as ever just wanted to give my thoughts on the matter ;)

12 minutes ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

We all wonder where the rasp in his voice  ran off to and I think I know the answer. Axl is no longer chain smoking Marlboros (or at least I don't think  so) so he doesn't have the nicotine to help roughen up those lovely vocal chords. Don't get me wrong, his voice is as lovely as ever just wanted to give my thoughts on the matter ;)

Or it could have been due to a respiratory infection? I know someone who damaged her vocal chords due to chronic coughing (she had a viral respiratory infection but the cough stuck around for weeks). She says her vocal control has never been the same and now struggles to mid-tone notes. She says that her 'head voice' is a lot easier to control.

4 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

Or it could have been due to a respiratory infection? I know someone who damaged her vocal chords due to chronic coughing (she had a viral respiratory infection but the cough stuck around for weeks). She says her vocal control has never been the same and now struggles to mid-tone notes. She says that her 'head voice' is a lot easier to control.

I can see that too. I completely lost my voice for two whole months due to an allergic reaction to mold. My voice hasn't been the same since. I used to be able to belt out a pretty good R&B slow groove in alto...but no more. So yeah the infection theory makes sense. Axl was getting quite a few colds back then.

5 hours ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

Maybe he was on the bucket bongs with AC/DC then cos that was rasp all the way :lol:

Marlboro are horrible cigarettes. I tried them when I used to smoke and they're vile. They rag your throat to bits, I would reckon those horrible performances from Axl back in the day, where he sounds like he's gargling razors, is a result of too much Marlboro (as well as everything else :lol:) but Marlboro would not help anything. 

17 hours ago, Lumikki said:

Also I want to add how much I love the story of Izzy's mom buying Axl a T-shirt for Christmas. That's sweet :heart::heart:

Either Izzy's mom is just a really, really nice person or Axl was closer to the Isbells than is often assumed (Axl fondly reminiscing about Izzy's brother Joe seems to indicate that as well).

That story stuck out to me as well.

Because in my whole life I have never received a Christmas gift from one of my friends' mothers. 

Not even as a kid, so I think that is quite uncommon.

Then again, Axl did apparently spend a lot of time making noise in the Isbells' garage lol.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

The first thing I noticed was....yup, Slash resting his arm on Axl's leg!

I absolutely love this picture.

Izzy being a little shit

Duff loves vodka and that's it

I actually find this piece really funny and think what Izzy was doing was hillarious and a very right thing to do during stupid interviews with stupid journalists that should never become too serious. I loved Izzy for ruining them.

That story stuck out to me as well.

Because in my whole life I have never received a Christmas gift from one of my friends' mothers. 

Not even as a kid, so I think that is quite uncommon.

Funny, cause I always get gifts from my best friend's mother and always have and vice versa, my mother also always gives my best friend gifts.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7348578/sebastian-bach-memoir-axl-rose-donald-trump-f-bombs

Speaking of, you toured a lot with Axl Rose opening for recent Guns N’ Roses incarnations. Did the reunion with Slash surprise you?
Yes. Yes, it did. But I always thought that if you can go through my interviews and bullshit, all of the animosity from Axl towards Slash or anybody else in Guns N’ Roses, he would hang out and we would drink a lot of booze and talk about bullshit, this and that, but at the end of every single night going into the early morning or late afternoon [laughs], he would always say, “But Bas, never say never.” He would always end the night with a “but you never can tell, you know, maybe someday." One part of me was surprised and the other part was not surprised.

Awwwww His hope to back together with Slash~:lol:

At first He talks shit about Slash, but at the end of conversation He said "But You never can tell, You know, Maybe someday":lol:

He is so cute:wub:

This is another proof tht He loves Slash so much:heart:

Finally Your dream comes true Axl~:heart:

Edited by SerenityScorp

19 hours ago, Lumikki said:

Also I want to add how much I love the story of Izzy's mom buying Axl a T-shirt for Christmas. That's sweet :heart::heart:

Either Izzy's mom is just a really, really nice person or Axl was closer to the Isbells than is often assumed (Axl fondly reminiscing about Izzy's brother Joe seems to indicate that as well).

I think both. He was probably very close to the Isbells and according to the poster who told the story Izzy's mom is a very nice lady. I loved that story about the shirt too.

• Like 2