GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

1 minute ago, Lumikki said:

Hah no, it's perfectly fine to receive presents from all kinds of people, but usually you get them from people you are close to. And who is close to their friends' parents? Not that many people in my experience (may be different in other countries).

My friends' parents are people that I chat to politely when I run into them or when I'm at their house, but I don't hang out with them and am not close enough with them to exchange or give presents.

wow.. that's DEFINITELY a cultural thing, lol... as in Argentina it is very common to have your friends parents taking care of you if you are at their home spending time with their children.

My mom would invite my friends over and cook all kind of stuff for them. The moms of other friends would always make us "merienda" in the afternoon when visiting them.
If it gets late and you're still at their home, they will accompany you to your house or give you a ride.
It is also very common that one parent takes a bunch of teenage girls to dance clubs and then picks them back when its over.

Not like every friend parent is exceptionally friendly to you but when you are very close to someone, so do their parents become close too.

At least here it is like that... But it seems this is considered strange in other countries/cultures... :shrugs:

I have a Slaxl question :axl92::slash:

So I was watching this video of last night's Jungle and as you can see at 3:22 Axl does the 'bee flying around the flower' move on Slash. Exactly the same thing he does here:

tumblr_o5wapjneLe1ulntsyo2_400.gif

And here:

And I'm pretty sure I already saw him do the same thing with Slash in other concerts. So question is: this spin is a thing he does only with Slash or he does it with other people on stage?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

wow.. that's DEFINITELY a cultural thing, lol... as in Argentina it is very common to have your friends parents taking care of you if you are at their home spending time with their children.

My mom would invite my friends over and cook all kind of stuff for them. The moms of other friends would always make us "merienda" in the afternoon when visiting them.
If it gets late and you're still at their home, they will accompany you to your house or give you a ride.
It is also very common that one parent takes a bunch of teenage girls to dance clubs and then picks them back when its over.

Not like every friend parent is exceptionally friendly to you but when you are very close to someone, so do their parents become close too.

At least here it is like that... But it seems this is considered strange in other countries/cultures... :shrugs:

Here in the US, you're lucky if your parents like your friends period lol. There are all kinds of factors ranging from racial to socioeconomic differences that cause these kinds of interactions. While growing up there was friend of mine whose parents wouldn't even allow me on the porch because I wasn't the right type of people in their eyes.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dgnr said:

So I was watching this video of last night's Jungle and as you can see at 3:22 Axl does the 'bee flying around the flower' move on Slash. Exactly the same thing he does here:

And here:

And I'm pretty sure I already saw him do the same thing with Slash in other concerts. So question is: this spin is a thing he does only with Slash or he does it with other people on stage?

I think it's only Slash...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgnr said:

That is probably my favourite version/performance of Think About You.

W.r.t the question, I think Axl did something similar with DJ but I'm not 100% sure. I'll have a look through the 2011-14 vids but I can't seem to recall a specific instance atm...

6 minutes ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

Here in the US, you're lucky if your parents like your friends period lol. There are all kinds of factors ranging from racial to socioeconomic differences that cause these kinds of interactions. While growing up there was friend of mine whose parents wouldn't even allow me on the porch because I wasn't the right type of people in their eyes.

Kind of the same in England, they try to make out there isn't a divide between working class and middle class, but there is. Middle class parents to me seemed very concerned in "do gooding" and oh look at the poor kids from the council estate, y'know? Ahhh poor souls, best buy them a Christmas present cos their own parents couldn't give a shit, but wouldn't dream of letting their kid go round your house! Lol 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dgnr said:

I've seen him doing it to Ashba, Robin, Fortus and not sure if Duff too but probably...

6 minutes ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

Well, that happens here too, about not liking certain friend because they are not "to their level" or may be considered not a "good company" but in general, when the friends are accepted, the attitude is of supporting your kid as much as you can with their friendships and that means getting involved with the other children and if its possible, with their families too. This is how you know who your child is hanging out with.

The culture of friendship is very strong in my country, more than anything else.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Kind of the same in England, they try to make out there isn't a divide between working class and middle class, but there is. Middle class parents to me seemed very concerned in "do gooding" and oh look at the poor kids from the council estate, y'know? Ahhh poor souls, best buy them a Christmas present cos their own parents couldn't give a shit, but wouldn't dream of letting their kid go round your house! Lol 

Exactly! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

ok, but were all of your friends from a different social class?? :question:

What about the people who did hang out with you and it was accepted by your family? Was it also cold as fuck? lol :lol:

I think the social class difference is something that affects every society, no matter which country we talk about, especially in those where the breach is big but I think that it is pretty rare that you can keep a friendship with someone who's not your same social class or close to it because everything pushes you to separation; so to me that shit almost doesn't count as friendship.

Here and when I was a kid (because now things have changed a lot), it was common to have the friends of school and friends of neighborhood (that if you went to a school in another place, like I did). Since I went to public school, I was able to hang out with kids from different social classes. That taught me a lot and it was really cool to have that experience.

Later my life changed and I was moved to a private school, which fuckin' sucked and I hated everyone, lol... but still I made friends there too and they would hang out in my house every single day after school and so did I in their homes.

51 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Hah no, it's perfectly fine to receive presents from all kinds of people, but usually you get them from people you are close to. And who is close to their friends' parents? Not that many people in my experience (may be different in other countries).

My friends' parents are people that I chat to politely when I run into them or when I'm at their house, but I don't hang out with them and am not close enough with them to exchange or give presents.

32 minutes ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

42 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I agree with the first two posts because "when you are very close to someone, so do their parents become close too" is not something I've ever experienced. Friends parents are like... acquaintances. You're polite and respectful towards them and you thank them for driving you somewhere or letting you eat with them, but you don't hang out with them and aren't close to them usually.

I guess in a restrictive, oppressive 1960s/1970s small town in Indiana, people likely weren't particularly close with their friends' parents either, but probably looked at them as authority figures you had to treat with respect. Not people you become close to on a personal level.

Edited by Frey

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

What about the people who did hang out with you and it was accepted by your family? Was it also cold as fuck? lol :lol:

I think the social class difference is something that affects every society, no matter which country we talk about, especially in those where the breach is big but I think that it is pretty rare that you can keep a friendship with someone who's not your same social class or close to it because everything pushes you to separation; so to me that shit almost doesn't count as friendship.

Here and when I was a kid (because now things have changed a lot), it was common to have the friends of school and friends of neighborhood (that if you went to a school in another place, like I did). Since I went to public school, I was able to hang out with kids from different social classes. That taught me a lot and it was really cool to have that experience.

Later my life changed and I was moved to a private school, which fuckin' sucked and I hated everyone, lol... but still I made friends there too and they would hang out in my house every single day after school and so did I in their homes.

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I didn't have that kind of experience. I went to public school with a lot of kids from upper crust families so those from the lakeside didn't come to the cul de sac. We slackers usually congregated at the park. It would get pretty packed so it was the best place for you to hang out with friends. 

7 minutes ago, Frey said:

I agree with the first two posts because "when you are very close to someone, so do their parents become close too" is not something I've ever experienced. Friends parents are like... acquaintances. You're polite and respectful towards them and you thank them for driving you somewhere or letting you eat with them, but you don't hang out with them and aren't close to them usually.

I guess in a restrictive, oppressive 1960s/1970s small town in Indiana, people likely weren't particularly close with their friends' parents either, but probably looked at them as authority figures you had to treat with respect. Not people you become close to on a personal level.

Spot on @Frey I'm from a small town in Illinois and the description is very accurate.

Edited by Rocketqueen76
  • Like 1

Yes, it's cultural, i'm really close to my best friend's family too and her to mine, my friend gives little handmade gifts to my parents (i don't, i just call her parents to say merry christmas because i'm hopeless at handmade gifts)  and our parents did the things @killuridols parents did, we're family, it's not like this for all your friends, only the real close ones. I think it's a thing in "latin" cultures :lol:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Frey said:

Ok. But we have agreed before that this is merely a cultural thing since I have not grown up with that notion and almost everybody I know has a best friend or friend whose parents are the coolest of the bunch.

As for "hanging out", I don't think that's exactly the word, since you can't hang out with adults when you are 6 or 8 years old, but becoming close in the sense that while you are in their house, they become interested in your life, make lunch or dinner or whatever the meal is to share with your friends, they will cure your wounds when you fall from running wild with your friend and they will even help you with homework if you are doing homework with your friend.

That's the type of solidarity and closeness I've experienced while growing up and I can testify other people have lived the same too.

This is the 80s and 90s in Argentina. I dont have idea how it is now because I'm not a kid anymore and I don't have kids either but from what I can grasp from other people, it seems to still be somewhat the same.

Solidarity between mothers, mostly, it is something that was always present and the more single moms there are out there, the more help and assistance they need from friends.

5 minutes ago, giuls said:

Yes, it's cultural, i'm really close to my best friend's family too and her to mine, my friend gives little handmade gifts to my parents (i don't, i just call her parents to say merry christmas because i'm hopeless at handmade gifts)  and our parents did the things @killuridols parents did, we're family, it's not like this for all your friends, only the real close ones. I think it's a thing in "latin" cultures :lol:

Yup.

You're Italian, right?

Aren't we all so much cooler? :lol:

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

I've seen him doing it to Ashba, Robin, Fortus and not sure if Duff too but probably...

All my dreams destroyed right there :cry::P

-------

About the friends thing it's definitely a cultural thing. I don't exchange Christmas gifts with my best friends' parents or vice-versa but if it happened it wouldn't be awkward or charity or anything like that. I see a lot of what happens with me on @killuridols  posts. If they come over, they will have a dinner or 'merenda' full of good things to them and my parents are going to seat at the table talking to them haha

Hell, I told you in one post in this thread  that I had a friend that I met in Greece visiting me and other friends in the beggining of November and my parents, though they never had met him or speak a word of english, made him a traditional portuguese dinner, made sure he was felling welcome and accept that he slept over. So yeah, latin countries rule! We come from this big, loud families where there is always  a place for one more :wub:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dgnr said:

All my dreams destroyed right there :cry::P

-------

About the friends thing it's definitely a cultural thing. I don't exchange Christmas gifts with my best friends' parents or vice-versa but if it happened it wouldn't be awkward or charity or anything like that. I see a lot of what happens with me on @killuridols  posts. If they come over, they will have a dinner or 'merenda' full of good things to them and my parents are going to seat at the table talking to them haha

Hell, I told you in one post in this thread  that I had a friend that I met in Greece visiting me and other friends in the beggining of November and my parents, though they never had met him or speak a word of english, made him a traditional portuguese dinner, made sure he was felling welcome and accept that he slept over. So yeah, latin countries rule! We come from this big, loud families where there is always  a place for one more :wub:

Oh so cool you have the "merienda" thing over there too!! I didnt know ^_^

Yup. It's everything about the meals and there's always a plate of food for one more: "donde comen dos, comen tres" :wub:

Cool moms care for all the children at their home, not only the ones that belong to her. :heart:

• Like 2

Good evening :ph34r:

I have a question regarding Axl's lyrics. It may have been discussed, but does anyone of you happen to know why he's changed the lyrics of November Rain? I mean the part after Slash's first solo when he sings again "Do you need some time..." instead of "Sometimes I need some time on my own". Is it politically incorrect to sing that he needs some time on his own infront of his watchdog Beta and TB? :smiley-confused2:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andy14 said:

Good evening :ph34r:

I have a question regarding Axl's lyrics. It may have been discussed, but does anyone of you happen to know why he's changed the lyrics of November Rain? I mean the part after Slash's first solo when he sings again "Do you need some time..." instead of "Sometimes I need some time on my own". Is it politically incorrect to sing that he needs some time on his own infront of his watchdog Beta and TB? :smiley-confused2:

Axl is notorious for forgetting his own lyrics. During Rock in Rio he completely forgot a whole verse of Civil War....

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

No, not all my friends were from a different class, but cold as fuck is a good way of describing it. We just didn't really get to know each other's parents, we hung around in little gangs and that was it, always outside, always up to something :lol: To be honest, didn't really want my friends to come to my house anyway. 

I'm still friends with the person who's mum bought me a Christmas present, she was mortified her mum did that lol but it never really bothered us, we never drifted apart either like a lot of friendships do. So I don't think class is all that important, just some people do. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders