GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

10 hours ago, Andy14 said:

I'm just going to leave this here :ph34r:

(edit: I'm posting a better quality pic)

15672605_1151399121641640_99103866155510

Thank you, this is the title pic of "Good things that happpend in 2016". Their smiles and body language are just beautiful.

Edited by Tori72

2 hours ago, RooSaa said:

thanks for the picture :) lovely family. Hope Perla let him also spend some time with his boys during christmas ...

Perla took the boys away to Bali...

It's kinda sad to see Slash doing family stuff without his kids all the time. I get the impression he doesnt see his boys a whole lot.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

On 29/12/2016 at 9:42 PM, Andy14 said:

I'm just going to leave this here :ph34r:

(edit: I'm posting a better quality pic)

I don't know what's wrong with me but I can't bring myself to look at pics capturing moments like this for too long. It's too much for my heart to take! :wub:

--------------------------------

So I was recently reading the wiki page on "One in a Million" and I came across what I would call a mistake. It states:

"According to interviews, Rose wrote "One In A Million" on guitar (with which he was not proficient at the time), using only the bottom two strings."

I think this is false because, if I recall correctly, "Dead Horse" was the first song Axl wrote on guitar (as Axl stated in 1991 interview with Kurt Loder).

This brings me to my main question; who wrote the music for One in a Million? Slash obviously must has written the solo but who wrote the riff? This has been bugging me for a while cuz whenever I try to find more information about the song, the articles I come across only mention that Axl wrote the lyrics and nothing else. I'm considering looking through Slash and Duff's books to see if I missed something but in the meantime I was hoping you guys (CSI:GnR) might have some info about this?  ^_^

Note: I do not wish to discuss the offensive lyrical content of the song, hasn't that been done to death throughout the fandom? I personally love everything about the song, from the riff to the lyrics to the jazzy piano outro. I don't agree with the lyrics but I love the song non the less.

Edited by KiraMPD

30 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

I don't know what's wrong with me but I can't brim myself to look at pics capturing moments like this for too long. It's too much for my heart to take! :wub:

--------------------------------

So I was recently reading the wiki page on "One in a Million" and I came across what I would call a mistake. It states:

I think this is false because, if I recall correctly, "Dead Horse" was the first song Axl wrote on guitar (as Axl stated in 1991 interview with Kurt Loder).

This brings me to my main question; who wrote the music for One in a Million? Slash obviously must has written the solo but who wrote the riff? This has been bugging me for a while cuz whenever I try to find more information about the song, the articles I come across only mention that Axl wrote the lyrics and nothing else. I'm considering looking through Slash and Duff's books to see if I missed something but in the meantime I was hoping you guys (CSI:GnR) might have some info about this?  ^_^

Note: I do not wish to discuss the offensive lyrical content of the song, hasn't that been done to death throughout the fandom? I personally love everything about the song, from the riff to the lyrics to the jazzy piano outro. I don't agree with the lyrics but I love the song non the less.

Hmmmm....*hums locomotive in my head* :P

2 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

"According to interviews, Rose wrote "One In A Million" on guitar (with which he was not proficient at the time), using only the bottom two strings."

From what I know, Axl wrote both the lyrics and the music for OIAM, probably with some help from Izzy. Alan Niven says in Mick Wall's book that Axl played the song to him on guitar. Dead Horse must be older than OIAM. According to Slash's book, Axl had written it before the formation of GnR.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

From what I know, Axl wrote both the lyrics and the music for OIAM, probably with some help from Izzy. Alan Niven says in Mick Wall's book that Axl played the song to him on guitar. Dead Horse must be older than OIAM. According to Slash's book, Axl had written it before the formation of GnR.

Interesting... because the riff is a little more than just the 'two strings' that Axl claimed he knew how to play.

Edit: I managed to find something in Mick Wall's book which agrees with your statement. So I guess Axl really did write the whole thing; melody, riff and lyrics... :shrugs:

Spoiler

mick_wall__last_of_the_giants____axl_on_

mick_wall__last_of_the_giants____axl_on_

Edited by KiraMPD
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

Interesting... because the riff is a little more than just the 'two strings' that Axl claimed he knew how to play.

Maybe it was West Arkeen who helped him a bit on guitar (although he's not credited), because Axl said in an interview that he was with some friends when he wrote it:

AR: No, that's a lyric. It's a lyric in a song called "One in a Million." It was originally written as a comedy. It was written watching Sam Kinison during one of his first specials. I was sitting around with friends, drunk, with no money.

(...) And this just happened to get stuck in the song, since we had a radical line like "police and hooray for tolerance!s" - we might as well go all the way now, we'll write something else just as obnoxious, because we were just writing off-color humor at the time. We were dealing with a situation that was really heavy, ugly, and scary, and so we were making light of it. I was being encouraged to write as I was writing.
IS: Is it that you're saying to me that you wrote what was going on in your mind?
AR: And what was going on in the room I was in. (...)

(...) That song sounds like I am, because when we went in the studio it came out very forceful. I played it on guitar and it was done very humorously. Well, that didn't work out when we recorded it because I had Duff play it on guitar - because he could play it better and in better time - and Izzy put this other guitar thing to it, and it evolved into something of its own. We didn't plan that song to be as forceful as it was. We walked into the studio, and boom, it just happened.

http://www.oocities.org/rattlesnake_suitcase/intmag92.htm

Excerpts from Mick Wall's book:

The song had begun as a throwaway, Axl extemporising as he sat around in his apartment, teasing out the rudimentary riff on the two bottom strings of an acoustic guitar and scat-singing phrases to West Arkeen as the comedian Sam Kinnison ranted on the blaring TV. Coming from the same headspace as ‘Used to Love Her’, with a decidedly redneck, country twang, it was originally called ‘Police and hooray for tolerance!s’ and intended entirely as a joke. But Axl worked on the lyric, which returned to one of his favourite themes, the fear and alienation he felt when he first arrived at the Greyhound bus station in North Hollywood.

(...)

‘I first heard “Million” when Axl sat on his bed and played it for me,’ Niven recounts. ‘In that moment he shape-shifted into the person he was in that past moment, and instead of someone abrasive, he seemed only vulnerable to me. He was the young soul from Indiana somewhat intimidated by his initial urban experience in LA. There was nothing gratuitous about his intent or performance in that moment and consequently I backed the band doing it. In the moment I didn’t think through the effect on Slash and Ola. We don’t always make perfect decisions. But then I never really thought of Slash as “black” per se. We used to be less racially divided in England and peoples were just peoples – not African-American or otherwise. Slash was born in Hampstead, for heaven’s sake.’

----------

EDIT: Yes, there's the interview you posted, the one Axl had done with Mick Wall, which is also in Wall's book and there he says it more clearly.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Frey said:

Perla took the boys away to Bali...

It's kinda sad to see Slash doing family stuff without his kids all the time. I get the impression he doesnt see his boys a whole lot.

What??? I didnt expect that

I prefer Slaxl dating in here Bali instead of perla :max:

14 hours ago, dgnr said:

Cute family at Disney World for Christmas :hug:

15727084_1176206012428426_72200176126830

After His Family Slash N' Axl will date in Disneyland :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I'm not surprised Axl wrote the whole song, he's talented like that ;)

I didn't know (or forgot) about Dead Horse being such an old song though. I'm always amazed when I think about the songs Axl wrote before GNR even existed, like Dead Horse or November Rain.

11 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

What??? I didnt expect that

I prefer Slaxl dating in here Bali instead of perla :max:

Yep, she's on holiday there with the boys. She's posted a couple of pictures on Instagram.

• Like 1