GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

My opinion on CD - wishy washy. A big disappointment. I took a day off work to go and buy it as soon as I could and I spent a long time trying to like it, but I just can't. I generally love albums that you 'don't get' straight away too, but CD is just awful, imo. Apart from CD, Shacklers Revenge, Madagascar and Sorry I find the rest an unlistenable mess with meaningless lyrics, terrible vocals and obviously patched up from all over the place! 

I haven't listened to it for a few years and I have no intention of ever doing so again. I haven't listened to the Slash and Duff versions either, not interested. Cant believe Slash plays TIL, I never want to acknowledge it :( 

I like Oh My God, I still listen to that. It's not that I think fuck Axl he stole the GnR name and now thinks he is GnR. I would've looked past that if the music was there, but it isn't.

That's just my opinion though :lol: The only slightly against the norm opinion I have concerning Guns is I prefer the Illusions to AFD and Lies. 

• Like 1

I like CD a lot! I admit it's not perfect, but I appreciate that you can feel an actual person behind the songs. It's personal, emotional and seems sincere. Good songwriting as in beautiful melodies and lyrics imho.

Edited by lilacmess
  • Like 2

So after I made that post about CD I went to the show thread and don't normally watch periscopes at all but decided to have a glimpse. Caught the last half of Chinese Democracy and :wow: did it sound awesome with Duff on backing vocals and Slash omg!! Maybe I will listen to the CD songs with those two on after all :lol: (not TIL though)

Anyone who watched the show today, has Slash always played Chinese Democracy like that? With the soloing bit at the end too?? 

6 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

So after I made that post about CD I went to the show thread and don't normally watch periscopes at all but decided to have a glimpse. Caught the last half of Chinese Democracy and :wow: did it sound awesome with Duff on backing vocals and Slash omg!! Maybe I will listen to the CD songs with those two on after all :lol: (not TIL though)

Yeah, chinese hater here, so imo the less CD songs they play, the better (no pun intended) :P But CD the song has to stay, it sounds killer, Axl's voice is always on point, Duff's backing vocals are great and Slash, well, Slash is Slash :wub: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Yeah, chinese hater here, so imo the less CD songs they play, the better (no pun intended) :P But CD the song has to stay, it sounds killer, Axl's voice is always on point, Duff's backing vocals are great and Slash, well, Slash is Slash :wub: 

I really like how different it sounds played live now compared to how I remember it from 2010 and 2012 which was utterly soulless apart from Axl. I love the new version of it, it sounds a completely different song. 

3 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

My opinion on CD - wishy washy. A big disappointment. I took a day off work to go and buy it as soon as I could and I spent a long time trying to like it, but I just can't. I generally love albums that you 'don't get' straight away too, but CD is just awful, imo. Apart from CD, Shacklers Revenge, Madagascar and Sorry I find the rest an unlistenable mess with meaningless lyrics, terrible vocals and obviously patched up from all over the place! 

I haven't listened to it for a few years and I have no intention of ever doing so again. I haven't listened to the Slash and Duff versions either, not interested. Cant believe Slash plays TIL, I never want to acknowledge it :( 

I like Oh My God, I still listen to that. It's not that I think fuck Axl he stole the GnR name and now thinks he is GnR. I would've looked past that if the music was there, but it isn't.

That's just my opinion though :lol: The only slightly against the norm opinion I have concerning Guns is I prefer the Illusions to AFD and Lies. 

Yes. Come to think again, I remember once upon a time before reunion, I tried to listen to CD album so I found it from internet and tried to listen to the album starting from the first track. I was like, "this isn't GN'R song" and that's how my adventure with CD ended, very quickly :D . And I never even bother to try to listen to the songs from that album again until this tour. I like Better and Sorry. CD somehow still meh to me.

14 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Be careful... don't want the men bitching in the Tommy thread to start over here....:facepalm:

I like it because I can relate to the lyrics... yes it sounds totally different than the old GNR, so I can understand why some people just aren't into it. While I do like the original lineup best, I still consider it GNR because of Axl. Just my viewpoint, and I do understand why others feel differently. :lol:

I agree. It's still a GNR album even if CD is more of Axl than GNR. But it's still GNR to me. Sure, it might've taken forever to come out, but he was perfecting it -- I think it was a great album and his voice sounded (and still sounds!) amazing.

• Like 1

So much CD hate here. I don't think it's a perfect album or anything, but I like a lot of songs on it.

Madagascar and Prostitute are beautiful, SoD sounds like something that could have been on UYI 2 and I like it a lot as well. Sorry and Better are fun. Shackler's Revenge and TWAT are nice enough.

The only ones I can't stand are TIL (instrumental verison is beautiful though), CD (sucks in every way), CITR (boring), Scraped (shit) and ITW (boring as well).

And it pisses me off to no end that they're playing 3 of the (in my eyes) worst songs of that album. 

Not even Slash and Duff can save TIL, CITR and CD as far as I'm concerned.

Why can't they play SoD or Madagascar or somethinh instead? I don't get it.

2 minutes ago, Frey said:

So much CD hate here. I don't think it's a perfect album or anything, but I like a lot of songs on it.

Madagascar and Prostitute are beautiful, SoD sounds like something that could have been on UYI 2 and I like it a lot as well. Sorry and Better are fun. Shackler's Revenge and TWAT are nice enough.

The only ones I can't stand are TIL (instrumental verison is beautiful though), CD (sucks in every way), CITR (boring), Scraped (shit) and ITW (boring as well).

And it pisses me off to no end that they're playing 3 of the (in my eyes) worst songs of that album. 

Madagascar would be epic live...the studio version makes me weepy every time...I think it's the "I have a Dream" speech part that gets me.

4 minutes ago, Frey said:

Maddy IMO, if we go by the album version, is straight up full of rasp. I'm having a hard time trying to imagine him pulling it off perfectly these days using cleaner voice on it. JMO.

40 minutes ago, Frey said:

I second SoD. I've loved that song ever since I heard the bootlegs/leaks and it would be interesting to hear Slash's version of the solo. 

Wouldn't Madagascar be a little awkward to play considering the current line-up? I always thought that the lyrics were about people leaving the band... Then again they played Sorry in the last couple of shows so...:shrugs:

W.r.t guitar parts, TWAT and SR are my favorites on CD. However I would like to see the current line-up attempt them just for lolz. The album version has an insane amount of layering. :lol: 

PS: I feel the same way about CITR as I do about SCOM, the outro saves it for me. I'll listen through the 3/4 of the song just for the awesomeness the lies beyond 4:12.

Edited by KiraMPD
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

This was on their trainer's Instagram.  I can't even imagine what it's like to be that close in the backstage area.  

I always wonder how they walk around in the dark like that. Knowing me I'd run out on stage and fall flat on my face. :lol:

44 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I still can't believe Axl wore the cat taco t shirt :lol:

IMG_2952.PNG

Im so tempted to get one. 

You should buy it and wear for the London show :P You and Axl would look then like some crazy teenage BFFs wearing the same clothes ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KMS said:

You should buy it and wear for the London show :P You and Axl would look then like some crazy teenage BFFs wearing the same clothes ;)

I love it, too. We so should make this the Women's Thread Tshirt and wear it wherever we go and se GnR! :P

• Like 1