Studio Mickey

nevergotochurch

I wouldn't call it mickey, but as others have said Prostitute and Catcher are sung clean. Was very surprised he used rasp on Prostitute back in 2014, definitely suits that "Perversion and paaaaaiiiinnn" part though.

Mickey doesn't really show up on the albums, probably bc when Axl hears it he said "that sounds like shit,. I think I'll sing it again and layer it over the top of the first try" 

his clean falsetto just comes off as weak, you know he can sing bc he stays in tune and has incredible breathing control tacked on with sustaining notes but the voice itself isn't appealing. Everyone likes the rasp. 

The ACDC shows have shown some promise for his cleaner voice, YSMANL, Sin City, and High Voltage are done amazingly well live. If they do Touch Too Much again it will be better, that was his first try. 

It will be interesting if Axl ever released a new album for either band...I think he'll lean heavy on the rasp and go for a few songs with touches of his clean voice, but he'll be smart to keep the more powerful rasp in parts of clean songs. It just balances better and allows you to appreciate both vocals without being overwhelmed by one 

I din't hear any mickey, he sounded good, the only thing I found weird was when the Madagascar demo leaked, that was the first leaked demo I heard and it had the old mans voice, so that was pretty weird and unusual for me, I was like is this Axl?

Even in the studio version of the song, its the old mans voice, but Ive got used to it now.

You can hear it on Better. It's a mix of his more raspy tone and clean high pitch voice in the verses.

Catcher I think sounds great with the clean voice.

I.R.S: clean, but with a rugged rough snap to it. It's cool but I prefer the raspy live versions. I feel like it would have sounded better, but the "it's such a crime you know it's true" scream is still great. Not sure I would part with the studio version now that I've grown fond of it.

The live Madagascar in Rock In Rio 2001 performance is a good example of how different a clean voice sounds in certain songs. I prefer the clean approach for this particular song. Like someone mentioned, it really depends on the tune.

That was the whole point of the clean voice I think. Axl tailored vocals to each song and it sounds more versatile and most of the time I enjoy all the different tones he gets from his vocal chords. The rasp can be limiting, it wouldn't work as good as what Axl went with for Chinese imo, at least on a few songs like Better, Prostitute, and Catcher.

Not many vocalists are as versatile as Axl. I still love the rasp and I'd want more of it, but if there's a song that requires a more clean approach, I'm down.

Edited by Rovim

On 08/06/2016 at 10:27 AM, nevergotochurch said:

has Axl ever sang in his "Mickey" voice on a studio track? I cant think of anything off the top of my head where he sings that way, but maybe i'm forgetting something? or is that just something he does live when his voice is tired? when did he start doing that?

Have a listen to Chinese Democracy 

It's funny, I've always been against the association of Mickey Mouse and Axl Rose, but I must tell this story:

A couple weeks ago, I was listening to a live video of "Dirty Deeds" from one of the Axl/DC gigs, and my 5 year old daughter walked in the room - who is a HARDCORE Mickey Mouse Clubhouse fan - she asked me "What is that??" and I responded, "you don't know this song..." and with the most arrogant look on her face, she said "That's Mickey Mouse, daddy!" I immediately shook my head in disgust and walked away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/16/2016 at 11:57 AM, Un42nutzly said:

It's funny, I've always been against the association of Mickey Mouse and Axl Rose, but I must tell this story:

A couple weeks ago, I was listening to a live video of "Dirty Deeds" from one of the Axl/DC gigs, and my 5 year old daughter walked in the room - who is a HARDCORE Mickey Mouse Clubhouse fan - she asked me "What is that??" and I responded, "you don't know this song..." and with the most arrogant look on her face, she said "That's Mickey Mouse, daddy!" I immediately shook my head in disgust and walked away.

Boi