"Don't do it"

A_Random_Hero

Every time I see something like this I am always reminded of just how hard it must be for people of fame to remain cordial in public. Even if you're a really nice person who appreciates your fans, it's gotta be rough to ALWAYS get stopped on the street and take pictures/sign shit. I mean, we all have ups and downs. I can't imagine going out in public on a bad day and still having the ability to stop and smile and shake hands with well wishers constantly. I don't think I'd be able to do it constantly.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 3

How can one know who's an ebayer and who's not?

Not sure if that guy is a real fan or an ebayer but usually they move around with loads of stuff, giant posters they carry in bags, etc.

In any case, Axl shouldn't worry so much. Not like he's gonna become less rich because of some guy selling his autograph.

Even real fans sell collectibles and tshirts and memorabilia once in a while.

There's no stopping for this. :shrugs:

• Like 2

Just now, killuridols said:

Not sure if that guy is a real fan or an ebayer but usually they move around with loads of stuff, giant posters they carry in bags, etc.

In any case, Axl shouldn't worry so much. Not like he's gonna become less rich because of some guy selling his autograph.

Even real fans sell collectibles and tshirts and memorabilia once in a while.

There's no stopping for this. :shrugs:

For me personally, even if I knew some guy was going to sell the shit, I'd probably still sign it. Maybe it's the bleeding heart syndrome talking about everyone needs to pay bills and eat and if I knew I helped someone achieve that goal, I would sleep a little better at night

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Moody Axl was bound to turn up at some point. 

actually when he says things like this I admire him. I believe he is really concerned for the safety of himself, bandmates and the crowd. and believe me I am sure he does not want to slip and fall, possibly re-injuring his foot. when I broke mine I slipped on some kind of spill in the grocery store and went down hard. I was scared to death cos I was still in my boot and thought i'd reinjured myself. luckily I didn't. so yeah this is totally acceptable IMO...safety first!

4 minutes ago, Nintari said:

For me personally, even if I knew some guy was going to sell the shit, I'd probably still sign it. Maybe it's the bleeding heart syndrome talking about everyone needs to pay bills and eat and if I knew I helped someone achieve that goal, I would sleep a little better at night

Im not sure Axl can make all that analysis, he lives in a world of no poverty.

He's probably more upset that on top of having to "deal" with the fans, take the time for the picture and the autograph, he also finds out that such autograph (he took time to sign) does not end directly in the hands of a fan, which is also depicable but I find it useless to stop signing stuff because of that, since I think the real fans, most of the time, outnumber the ebayers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Have you seen how fast Axl runs away from that guy with Illusion 1 after the photo has been taken?

Have you seen how fast Axl runs away from that guy with Illusion 1 after the photo has been taken?

yes, that's what we are commenting...

I dont know know why he does that because he already signed the album :shrugs:

Just now, killuridols said:

yes, that's what we are commenting...

I dont know know why he does that because he already signed the album :shrugs:

The bloke turns around to thank Axl and Axl has already gone - you can see the bloke saying to himself, ''where the fuck has he gone?'' haha.

And the guy in the flowery shirt gets nearly pushed over by a sycophant in a baseball cap.

I really don't understand why people put themselves through this? I find it rather servile and a bit embarrassing really - fair enough, when you are a kid trying to get a cricketer's autograph but now that you're an adult, what is the purpose? Especially when you have to demean yourself to being manhandled by people like Fernando!

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The bloke turns around to thank Axl and Axl has already gone - you can see the bloke saying to himself, ''where the fuck has he gone?'' haha.

And the guy in the flowery shirt gets nearly pushed over by a sycophant in a baseball cap.

I really don't understand why people put themselves through this? I find it rather servile and a bit embarrassing really - fair enough, when you are a kid trying to get a cricketer's autograph but now that you're an adult, what is the purpose? Especially when you have to demean yourself to being manhandled by people like Fernando!

hahaha yeah, he does that when he gets suddenly upset :rofl-lol:

The guy in the flowery shirt looks a bit dumb. I dont know what's up with him.

Here's another occassion (in Argentina) when Axl flips out and just disappears. He's trying to sign stuff and arms but fans get so desperate Axl just cant take it and runs away to his van, then girls start crying and screaming and insulting everyone for making him leave :rofl-lol:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

lol that girl is funny at the end. To be honest though, it's better he just take off when he feels his blood boiling. 

yeah she's screaming, crying, saying like "omg i waited 20 years for this!"

8 hours ago, killuridols said:

From what I've seen, they're usually older men who look slightly disheveled and carry bags or carts with a lot of memorabilia. They tend to be aggressive, don't want their stuff personalized and get angry when the celebrity only signs one thing for them.

I think part of the objection is that it cuts down on the time that real fans can have access - if he's got 10 minutes and he spends 8 of those minutes signing for eBayers who have pushed their way to the front, the real fans lose out. And the other thing is that the autograph secondary market is really shady and there are a lot of counterfeits out there, and real fans once again lose because they get ripped off. A celebrity might not want to contribute to that.

And also, as mentioned, the professional autograph dealers can often be real assholes at these things; they push the actual fans out of the way, etc.

8 hours ago, stella said:

From what I've seen, they're usually older men who look slightly disheveled and carry bags or carts with a lot of memorabilia. They tend to be aggressive, don't want their stuff personalized and get angry when the celebrity only signs one thing for them.

I think part of the objection is that it cuts down on the time that real fans can have access - if he's got 10 minutes and he spends 8 of those minutes signing for eBayers who have pushed their way to the front, the real fans lose out. And the other thing is that the autograph secondary market is really shady and there are a lot of counterfeits out there, and real fans once again lose because they get ripped off. A celebrity might not want to contribute to that.

And also, as mentioned, the professional autograph dealers can often be real assholes at these things; they push the actual fans out of the way, etc.

Well, it looks like he has identified the common traits of these people so he could avoid signing their stuff. Also security and management could help by pushing them away.

Any market exists because there's offer and demand. Shame on those "fans" who buy an autograph from Ebayers. They are really stupid if they do that and deserve to be ripped off.

Real fans know the value of getting an autograph directly from your hero so if you want one you will do what's right to do. Buying it will not make a special memory out of it.

8 hours ago, killuridols said:

Well, it looks like he has identified the common traits of these people so he could avoid signing their stuff. Also security and management could help by pushing them away.

Any market exists because there's offer and demand. Shame on those "fans" who buy an autograph from Ebayers. They are really stupid if they do that and deserve to be ripped off.

Real fans know the value of getting an autograph directly from your hero so if you want one you will do what's right to do. Buying it will not make a special memory out of it.

Eh, I wouldn't call them stupid. Naive, perhaps. I certainly wouldn't spend the money on it, but there's a huge market for letters from historical figures, and signed first edition books, and so forth, for the same reason...someone's hair (can't remember if it was Thomas Jefferson or George Washington) recently fetched thousands of dollars at auction. People want something personal from their favorite rock star, author, whatever, even if they can't meet the person. It's a different sort of memory.

The issue is that there's really no way for the average fan to authenticate what they're buying, and even the top auction houses have been fooled, so most of the time it's a risky proposition at best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stella said:

Eh, I wouldn't call them stupid. Naive, perhaps. I certainly wouldn't spend the money on it, but there's a huge market for letters from historical figures, and signed first edition books, and so forth, for the same reason...someone's hair (can't remember if it was Thomas Jefferson or George Washington) recently fetched thousands of dollars at auction. People want something personal from their favorite rock star, author, whatever, even if they can't meet the person. It's a different sort of memory.

The issue is that there's really no way for the average fan to authenticate what they're buying, and even the top auction houses have been fooled, so most of the time it's a risky proposition at best.

Nah, you're not naive when you're buying an autograph from Ebay!

The letters, books and other stuff you mention, especially from people who are dead, it's a totally different thing. Auctions are different than some guy selling an autographed Use Your Illusion vinyl.

Axl is alive, you can get an autograph if you move your ass and want to make it happen. There's plenty of examples of people making amazing memories for themselves. The same amount of money you spend buying an autograph from Ebay could be used for a trip or a ticket to a show.

I think there's no excuse for this and the ones falling for it and feeding this shady market are indeed stupid people.

*shrug* Difference of opinion there. Someone isn't stupid just because they don't have the money or ability to get to a concert and spend hours waiting outside in a huge crowd for Axl. If someone's selling an autograph for even $100 it's a hell of a lot less than traveling to a show for some people.

I think eBay could stop a lot of it by taking more steps to keep fakes off the site, even if that means shutting down autograph sales altogether unless there's a clear and verifiable provenance. Like letting Christie's and the other auction houses list items, and also letting individuals list their own stuff for sale (like Robin did a few years back), but banning them from everyone else. There are too many people getting taken in.

I know what you meant. And I do not agree at all. Someone isn't stupid because they're taken in by a fraud. Frauds are very good at looking authentic, and even when people do due diligence they can get suckered.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1