Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

About litho theme, I dont get it yet either.  He has a gun and she has roses?  But the red colour theme got me thinking of the Red River Rebellion, which is a major part of the story of Manitoba's birth (winnepeg being in Manitoba).  Those resisting becoming a Province of Canada executed a prisoner and that marked the beginning of the end of the rebellion, due to backlash.  

I came across this painting of the execution:

0OtfASZh.jpg

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/red-river-rebellion/

I actually dont think this is the meaning of the litho. The clothes arent right for one. But thought Id share incase it leads to anything else that does get to the meaning.  Brainstorming.

8 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

Not yet. I keep getting an image of some sort of Bonnie and Clyde painting but I know it's only the addition of the gun that is giving me those thoughts. I'm sure the original its based on doesn't have the dude holding a gun but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. I'm trying to figure out what else he could be holding if it's not a gun.

I think youre onto something.  The Gangster Al Capone had a huge base of operations in Manitoba (among other provinces).  The rum runners would delivery booze illegally over the border to USA during prohibition.  A main route was the Red River Valley. A minute ago I posted speculation about the red colour theme.

Theres a video here that Ive yet to watch, but the brief G&A beneath it might say it all:

Q - Where was Al Capone rumoured to have stayed when he was in Winnipeg?

A - The Woodbine Hotel

Q- What valley did Capone's rumrunners follow from the U. S. to Winnipeg?

A - The Red River Valley

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/al-capone-s-curious-connection-to-the-prairies-1.3166537

Im thinking its depicting the Rumrunners of Winnipeg?

Edited by soon

10 hours ago, soon said:

I think youre onto something.  The Gangster Al Capone had a huge base of operations in Manitoba (among other provinces).  The rum runners would delivery booze illegally over the border to USA during prohibition.  A main route was the Red River Valley. A minute ago I posted speculation about the red colour theme.

Theres a video here that Ive yet to watch, but the brief G&A beneath it might say it all:

Q - Where was Al Capone rumoured to have stayed when he was in Winnipeg?

A - The Woodbine Hotel

Q- What valley did Capone's rumrunners follow from the U. S. to Winnipeg?

A - The Red River Valley

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/al-capone-s-curious-connection-to-the-prairies-1.3166537

Im thinking its depicting the Rumrunners of Winnipeg?

That could be, you see the river in the background.  It must be based off a real photo though?  It's driving me crazy what it must be.

Guys... guys. We were overthinking it and looking it it from completely the wrong light.

Winnipeg litho is based on this image from the Manitoba Department of Mines and Natural Resources from almost a hundred years ago.

lxu0QDT.jpg

DIA47pcUMAAaMkh.jpg

I thought I KINDA recognized the art style and sure enough, after being pointed in the right direction, it turns out it's a style that is synonymous with a very famous poster artist by the name of Tom Purvis. I recognized the artwork but never knew the artist's name until now. If you've ever seen old British propaganda posters (which Purvis did a few of) or the classic series of vintage London Rail posters, you would probably recognize the style. But if you're like me, you'd have no idea about the name of the artist. Well, now I know. I can't confirm whether the original Manitoba artwork is by Tom Purvis but it is at least done to imitate his style. Some of his famous rail posters:

DuaAEuC.jpg

4AieJV9.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, soon said:

@amaninjapannice job once again!

Its a great image but for me a poster for Mines and Natural Resources is a bit weird.  I get that its a big industry for them, but just a curious choice for a GNR litho imo.

Looking at it from the wrong perspective, I think. Tom Purvis is an icon when it comes to commercial posters. I will admit to not knowing his name but I was definitely aware of his 'style'. Anybody who has a thing for retro-futurism would instantly recognize this style even if they may not be able to name the artist responsible for it.

Let's forget what the image was originally used for - just for a second.

So you have an image of Manitoba done in the style of (or possibly even by) one of the most prolific commercial poster artists of all time. Hell it might even be the ONLY Tom Purvis poster about Manitoba. That's certainly not insignificant. What if the litho artist had referenced a sketch about Manitoba done by someone with a unique style like Edvard Munch or Gustav Klimt? We wouldn't give it a second thought. Instead of a famous painting artist, he went with a famous commercial poster artist - I think this is pretty damn appropriate for a concert litho! :P

1 hour ago, amaninjapan said:

Looking at it from the wrong perspective, I think. Tom Purvis is an icon when it comes to commercial posters. I will admit to not knowing his name but I was definitely aware of his 'style'. Anybody who has a thing for retro-futurism would instantly recognize this style even if they may not be able to name the artist responsible for it.

Let's forget what the image was originally used for - just for a second.

So you have an image of Manitoba done in the style of (or possibly even by) one of the most prolific commercial poster artists of all time. Hell it might even be the ONLY Tom Purvis poster about Manitoba. That's certainly not insignificant. What if the litho artist had referenced a sketch about Manitoba done by someone with a unique style like Edvard Munch or Gustav Klimt? We wouldn't give it a second thought. Instead of a famous painting artist, he went with a famous commercial poster artist - I think this is pretty damn appropriate for a concert litho! :P

thats cool.  I just think differently.  

8 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

Minneapolis, Denver, Miami and Winston-Salem are great. I loved Winston-Salem when I first saw it and it keeps on growing on me.

God I wish I could find even half the love for Winston Salem that you do. I like the colors but after that it doesn't do anything for me. I got it cause I was at the show but I can't see myself ever hanging it on the wall.

12 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

Personally I think the poster artist did an amazing job of choosing a great original image to reference that wasn't stupidly obvious as well as giving it a distinctly awesome GNR feel.

And, it's the first litho with a song line, which I think is an awesome thing to do. We both know hearts can change. Did you acquire one of these lithos?

1 hour ago, uzi your illusion said:

God I wish I could find even half the love for Winston Salem that you do. I like the colors but after that it doesn't do anything for me. I got it cause I was at the show but I can't see myself ever hanging it on the wall.

You just need the correct frame for it. It has great colors and the cool GNR was here font.

21078277_10155711655978069_1287992072874

Regina...at home on the plains

If you look at a map of North America, you'll find Regina right at the center of the continent, in the heart of the Canadian plains. The land is flat and seems to stretch out forever. Regina is like an oasis of trees, people and buildings. Though now home to nearly 200,000 people, it was once barren grassland with no trees and little water.

Before the arrival of settlers in the 1880s, First Nations hunters came to the area to hunt the roaming herds of buffalo. They used nearly all of the buffalo they killed for food, shelter and clothing. Only the bones remained.

The Cree hunters stacked the bones about 2 metres high and 12 metres in diameter. They believed that the buffalo herds would return to the area to visit the bones. The hunters named the area Oskana-Ka-asateki or "the place where bones are piled."

The explorers, fur traders, surveyors and settlers who moved through the area called it Pile of Bones.

On 2017-08-26 at 4:08 AM, amaninjapan said:

Guys... guys. We were overthinking it and looking it it from completely the wrong light.

Winnipeg litho is based on this image from the Manitoba Department of Mines and Natural Resources from almost a hundred years ago.

lxu0QDT.jpg

DIA47pcUMAAaMkh.jpg

I thought I KINDA recognized the art style and sure enough, after being pointed in the right direction, it turns out it's a style that is synonymous with a very famous poster artist by the name of Tom Purvis. I recognized the artwork but never knew the artist's name until now. If you've ever seen old British propaganda posters (which Purvis did a few of) or the classic series of vintage London Rail posters, you would probably recognize the style. But if you're like me, you'd have no idea about the name of the artist. Well, now I know. I can't confirm whether the original Manitoba artwork is by Tom Purvis but it is at least done to imitate his style. Some of his famous rail posters:

DuaAEuC.jpg

4AieJV9.jpg

Thank you for this!

Wow.

I wish I could say "oh yeah, I knew it as soon as I saw it that Buhler was back and that poster is an instant classic."

But I have to admit, it didn't impress me at all. 

I haven't been impressed with a poster since Europe.  I admit to knowing nothing about the histories/cultures of the various regions of Canada though.  If I were in charge of posters I'd be consulting with locals about what the posters could possibly represent.

I was equally unimpressed with the American leg though.  Here's hoping it picks up by the last leg.

44 minutes ago, TheCarlinSeven said:

I'm betting the Vancouver litho is a riff on the Jade Canoe statue that's in the Airport. Just calling it now :-).

I was hoping it'd be an old garage with a GNR airplane flying above it :lol: (in reference to the '02 no-show).

edit: more of a reference to Victoria and BC art in general but something with an Emily Carr kind of style would be awesome.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

50 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Wow.

I wish I could say "oh yeah, I knew it as soon as I saw it that Buhler was back and that poster is an instant classic."

But I have to admit, it didn't impress me at all. 

I haven't been impressed with a poster since Europe.  I admit to knowing nothing about the histories/cultures of the various regions of Canada though.  If I were in charge of posters I'd be consulting with locals about what the posters could possibly represent.

I was equally unimpressed with the American leg though.  Here's hoping it picks up by the last leg.

Actually I kind of disagree as far as the Regina poster goes. "Pile of Bones" was a long used term that's dissappeared as Regina has grown since I was a kid. I instantly recognized it's significance and thought that aspect was quite neat. The Regina poster had much more real history behind it them the other Canadian posters thus far.