Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

I'd buy them by year.  2016 volume one.  2016 volume two.  Etc.  it would be cost prohibitive for any of us to attempt to make on our own if we had any intention of mass producing it.

Even Team Brazil is far too lazy and incompetent to give us a quality product that would be worth the money.  If TB were in charge I'm sure the book would be riddled with errors and omissions and cut every corner possible, while still charging as much as possible.   They suck.  Cause they have no passion, not an ounce in their souls; just nothing but greed for cash.

Look at how amazing that lithorati site is.  It's a labor of love.  And it was made by a fan, for the fans, in their free time.  And those aren't just internet sourced jpegs....those are actual scans.  So that would be one hell of an expensive project.  But it's awesome cause the passion is there.

Unfortunately, if lithorati wanted to crowdsource the funds to do a proper book version of the site, TB would shut them down in a heartbeat.

But that's the difference between TB and the fans: passion.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

I'd buy them by year.  2016 volume one.  2016 volume two.  Etc.  it would be cost prohibitive for any of us to attempt to make on our own if we had any intention of mass producing it.

Even Team Brazil is far too lazy and incompetent to give us a quality product that would be worth the money.  If TB were in charge I'm sure the book would be riddled with errors and omissions and cut every corner possible, while still charging as much as possible.   They suck.  Cause they have no passion, not an ounce in their souls; just nothing but greed for cash.

Look at how amazing that lithorati site is.  It's a labor of love.  And it was made by a fan, for the fans, in their free time.  And those aren't just internet sourced jpegs....those are actual scans.  So that would be one hell of an expensive project.  But it's awesome cause the passion is there.

Unfortunately, if lithorati wanted to crowdsource the funds to do a proper book version of the site, TB would shut them down in a heartbeat.

But that's the difference between TB and the fans: passion.

I assume Team Brazil commissioned the idea of show lithos for the NITL tour. So we at least have Fernando to thank for the lithos. The book idea is cool to an extent, but i believe it would cheapen the importance of owning the actual litho and what some people went thru to acquire the lithos. There is an emotional and financial investment people have in the lithos and a book would decrease the significance in my opinion. Additionally, I don’t any band who has commissioned such a book, so I don’t believe it means TB lacks passion. 

• Like 1

I'll give credit to Fernando for doing the lithos at all.  That IS cool.

And yeah, no band has done a comprehensive book that I know of, but artists like Kozik and Ames Bros put out books.  Pearl Jam has done at least one book, but it was impossible to be comprehensive.  Hell, I've even seen books of "Great Concert  Posters of the 80s" and stuff.

I don't think a book cheapens the real thing at all.  For one, it's a LOT smaller.  And it's bound.  You'd have to rip the page out to frame it, which is stupid, and even if you did, it'd be smaller.  I think the originals would always be "safe."

• Like 1

I did think about that. My first thought was, will this ever end? Hahaha. Do we want a book or something that will break the coffee table?

Live Era 2016-2018 

The Americas. The world. Legs of tours.

If they keep going you could switch books out. Like they do for comic books, gather 6 or 12 months into a collected edition, but by year or leg?

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

I'll give credit to Fernando for doing the lithos at all.  That IS cool.

And yeah, no band has done a comprehensive book that I know of, but artists like Kozik and Ames Bros put out books.  Pearl Jam has done at least one book, but it was impossible to be comprehensive.  Hell, I've even seen books of "Great Concert  Posters of the 80s" and stuff.

I don't think a book cheapens the real thing at all.  For one, it's a LOT smaller.  And it's bound.  You'd have to rip the page out to frame it, which is stupid, and even if you did, it'd be smaller.  I think the originals would always be "safe."

But, I want a fucking book, too. And a book that is well done. GNR have a more rabid fan base and I believe a book if, high quality, and very limited would sell out quickly. 

Pearl Jam released a book in collaboration with Ames Bros:

4DHjmaL.jpg

But I know absolutely zero about Pearl Jam posters so I have no idea how comprehensive or complete the collection in the book is. All I know is that it apparently covers 13 years from 1995 to 2007 and is a healthy 13" x 19". I think this only works because (I assume) Ames Bros did all or nearly all the posters for Pearl Jam during this time and I get the impression their relationship with Pearl Jam is different than how Bravado commission the artwork for GNR. If a book were to be made, it would probably have to be Bravado doing it and well... that can be hit or miss. Having an art studio (Ames Bros) in charge of the product rather than a merchandising company (Bravado) I think results in different goals. I imagine for it to be done well, it would have to be a labor of love by someone with a genuine interest in getting the book done correctly and a love for the collection. Personally, I think it would be cool if Bravado collaborated with Lithorati because then I'm sure it'd be done properly and not half-assed. Like @estrangedtwat said, Lithorati was made by fans for fans, they're not trying to sell anything, it's just about the lithos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Iam a huge Pearl Jam fan, but most of their posters don’t contain beautiful or compelling imagery. GNR has rich imagery and some of the lithos are works of art. Even Metallica posters are rather generic and bland. I believe one aspect of the GNR litho craze is the rich imagery and artistic integrity of the images. Whoever approves the lithos has for the most part serviced the fans and diehards well.

Edited by The Holographic Universe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im more of an observer on this thread than anything but I am a poster collector and gotta say its been a fun read. Im not a huge GnR fan as I am the younger demographic but I do love the guys and hope they come back to my city so I can see them again, however one of the coolest things I think about this tour and its posters is every show is representative of the city somehow. Im a much larger Pearl Jam fan and more active in that poster community. Sure there are some nice prints but rarely do you see prints reflecting the city, same with QOTSA, SG or FF to name a few. The one thing that bums me out about all of it is that these lithos are only available at shows whereas almost every other band has their SE for the show and a certain amount of APs for the artist to sell, some bands even sell their remaining SE on their site after a tour. I think these lithos will go up in value for that reason alone, there are Pearl Jam prints from their 2018 tour that are selling for 1800 (AP) and 1200 (SE) it's crazy. The exclusivity of these prints I think is what really keep the value high but also keeps it more unknown to fans and collectors. In terms of the oversized coffee table book of all the posters it's a great idea, above as you see theres the Ames one for Pearl Jam, which in the Pearl Jam community are known as the worst artist but get all the good gigs as the artists is the bass players brother. Brad Klausen a fantastic artist has one too, I believe its for all his prints up to the time of release and not just Pearl Jam but can't confirm. I do believe when the tour is done well see them pop up on the GnR site as the band might aswell make some extra cash than leave it gather dust in the warehouse. Finally I'd like to say thanks for all the knowledge thats been shared and helped me discover some new artists, is there anyone I'm missing: Buhler, Lenoir, Planer, Johnny Crap, Butler, Philips, Geoff May, Sara Ray, Navarro & Jose Maria Campoy?

PS: Still ISO a Winnipeg....have that damn ugly Edmonton to trade but interested in buying too. 

Edited by dustnbones.can
grammer
  • Like 2

On 7/29/2018 at 3:48 AM, The Holographic Universe said:

Iam a huge Pearl Jam fan, but most of their posters don’t contain beautiful or compelling imagery. GNR has rich imagery and some of the lithos are works of art. Even Metallica posters are rather generic and bland. I believe one aspect of the GNR litho craze is the rich imagery and artistic integrity of the images. Whoever approves the lithos has for the most part serviced the fans and diehards well.

That's because Ames Bros did a lot of them. Their early PJ stuff was really good, but they haven't done anything memorable in years. 

9 hours ago, Dacatzass said:

Maybe bought it in the second-hand market and doesnt want the original seller to know he is offering it for a markup or what the final sale price would be?

We've seen this sort of thing on Ebay many times, no? I've just assumed it's either because the seller has multiple lithos and they want to be able to use the same photo when they list another. Either that or they don't want people stealing their photos and using it as their own. That's definitely been an issue in the past.