Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

8 minutes ago, Rockytop said:

I'm going to the show tomorrow. I don't love the litho though. 

I haven't really liked the lithos since the tour kicked off again, except for the Charlotte one. I miss Arian Buhler's work. 

Yes, Exit 111 litho - now that feels generic. Nothing about it links it to GNR. Hell, the only thing that links it to the festival is the road sign that says "III" on it, although it really should read "111". But I like the 80s-style show flyer style/finish to it, as well as the colors.

21 minutes ago, Tourettes2400 said:

Seems like they are already selling them.

Margott posted this picture on Nightrain today of the merch

105A7187-CFF4-4967-A43B-B7AE5158DD10.jpeg

Looks good and it seems like NITL branding isn’t used on these new shirts.  Thanks for posting!

Edited by nycgunner

2 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

What are you talking about? Ulli has only done one lithograph so far this leg (Louder than Life) and it's by far the least generic and most interesting of the eight :lol:

I don't think a single one of his lithos from the entire tour could be considered generic. He referenced the Moscow Olympics in his Tallinn design, for crying out loud - that's about as far from generic as you can get! He has referenced pop culture, graffiti, opera, the Freemasons, black and white films, iconic european battles and a giant coffee pot. You might like or dislike a design, but there's absolutely no way he is generic.

Please please please help me to appreciate the giant coffee pot lol. I was at that show and went with a buddy who I had been showing my other lithos to and hyping him up. Couldn't wait to see the design that night. I had thought maybe cigarette inspired [in Winston Salem, N.C] and then the unveiling...a coffee pot?!

What do you like about this one? I guess the colors are cool but I'm at a loss after that.

4 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Please please please help me to appreciate the giant coffee pot lol. I was at that show and went with a buddy who I had been showing my other lithos to and hyping him up. Couldn't wait to see the design that night. I had thought maybe cigarette inspired [in Winston Salem, N.C] and then the unveiling...a coffee pot?!

What do you like about this one? I guess the colors are cool but I'm at a loss after that.

Hahah yeah, it's definitely a weird one. I have a friend who lives in NC who was also like "wtf?!" when he grabbed the litho.

It's definitely not one of my favorites, but the topic at hand was that of generic designs and well, since I can't think of ANY other posters that have used the coffee pot landmark as its inspiration, I think that proves that it's the very opposite of generic! I love the way the pink pops against the night sky, for sure. It helps that I like hot pink as a contrast color. I'm not sold on the coffee pot landmark as an inspiration, nor am I a fan of the "guns n roses was here" graffiti logo (it's also the biggest detractor for me with the Florence 2018 litho) but I appreciate that it's unique, it's something specific to the location and wasn't generic. In the grand scheme of things, I would prefer each litho to be unique than for it to be generic or uninspired.

To me, 'generic' and 'uninspired' are like two distinctly different ways to make a disappointing design. Look at most of the Metallica lithos recently - almost none of them have anything to do with the location of the concert. The art might look good but you could swap out the location text for any other city and it wouldn't make any less sense. Even worse sometimes, you could swap out "Metallica" for any other rock or metal band and it wouldn't make any less sense. That to me screams 'generic' and it ruins some posters for me. Dave Matthews Band for example has some of the most beautiful posters but they frequently have NOTHING to do with the city they're promoting and that makes it less special for me. For me, Austin 2 and Exit 111 are great examples of disappointing 'generic' designs.

'Uninspired' designs for me are when the artist doesn't venture too far from the expected path and the theme is just the first idea that pops into everybody's head when they think of a city or location. The Charlotte design, although kinda cool, to me is a little uninspired. Uninspired designs aren't always bad though - but the art has to be really really cool for it to make up for the lacking theme. For example, Arian Buhler's Copenhagen theme is very uninspired - but I think it's hauntingly beautiful and it's executed well enough that becomes a great design.

2 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

The color scheme against the night sky might be the only redeeming factor to me. But what a missed opportunity for a cigarette pack with the classic UYI era skull/top hat/revolvers being used as the skull for the surgeon general warning.

agreed, I too had been hoping for a bitching cigarette-themed design

9 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

Some of the lithos I would classify as most underrated, or underappreciated, would be Winnipeg and The Gorge, both done by Ulrich. I like more of Buhler's but Planer is still super talented.

I wish the Gorge litho used real gold foil - that would've been great.

My favorite underappreciated lithos would be:

Wellington Maori
Copenhagen
Melbourne Tiger
Werchter
Vienna
Sao Paulo
Hartford
Odense
Reykjavik

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 12:48 PM, uzi your illusion said:

Some of the lithos I would classify as most underrated, or underappreciated, would be Winnipeg and The Gorge, both done by Ulrich. I like more of Buhler's but Planer is still super talented.

Ullie is definitely not my favorite litho artist, especially the ones with song lyrics which I think is just beyond cheesy.   However, I will say that Sao Paulo and the Hameenlinna castle are both incredible, Ham-castle is super underrated and a top 10 litho for me.  The Prague Bone Church is also really strong.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

I'm sorry... I can't hold it in.

Nebraska 'litho' is straight up 100% wet-dog-smell hot trash.

I mean, let's forget for a second about how ridiculous the design is. It genuinely looks like it was made in under five minutes in Photoshop by a third-grader stuck in 1995. The skeleton is holding a gun in its left hand... but holding it right-handed! How does this pass for official merchandise?! Pathetic. Truly. Utterly. Pathetic.

UQpKwnA.jpg

Damn. That’s pretty bad. Looks very tacky.  They could have done something cool with a “down on the farm” theme

I got one of those crappy lithos, Also going to fold the hell out of it and hope it fits in my pocket as I do not want to stand the whole show holding it, maybe after the show get a new one, have a feeling it is not going to be a hot seller

28 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

Negative.

Louder Than Life is by far the best of this leg.

It's decent I agree, but it reminds me so much of a bunch of Ulrich's other lithos that it just doesn't stand out to me.

It's very similar to Leipzig, and also has that "cracked" finish that Rocky, Chicago 17 and Berlin 18 have. Feels a bit derivative to me, from some of his others.

3 minutes ago, AxlIsGod. said:

It's decent I agree, but it reminds me so much of a bunch of Ulrich's other lithos that it just doesn't stand out to me.

It's very similar to Leipzig, and also has that "cracked" finish that Rocky, Chicago 17 and Berlin 18 have. Feels a bit derivative to me, from some of his others.

I don't necessarily see that as a negative. Arian Buhler has also reused certain tricks and styles such as the 'creased paper' look on his lithos yet nobody ever complains about his designs looking similar to each other.

I agree, sometimes some artists designs look similar but sometimes I like that because it makes it feel like lithos are related or connected instead of being completely haphazard. If lithos didn't look like each other from time to time, we'd have one litho we like and 160+ lithos that we hate. Taking what works or what you like and using it in another design is the fundamental reason why we're drawn to a particular artist's style.

All I know is that Wichita and Lincoln has me screaming "a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse" - except replace horse with "litho designed by Buhler, Ulli, Butler, Lenoir, Campoy or Geoff May" - pretty much anybody who has at least already pumped out one good litho. I usually have no problem with giving new artists a chance but this is not working out well this leg. I'm just glad that we still have Ulli and Buhler designs to look forward to.

• Like 2