Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

On 11/4/2019 at 5:42 PM, The Holographic Universe said:

It is killer. Mind boggling to see a great idea picked over for inferior product. 

Is that possible? He said he was paid for his submission. 

True, I was paid for my submission but unless it’s approved I retain all rights to the artwork. So while I could print a run of art prints they wouldn’t have any mention of GNR on them since I don’t own any rights to their name. 

Edited by facefirst

On 11/4/2019 at 3:38 PM, uzi your illusion said:

How about from the previous NITL legs? Would love to hear your thoughts on some of the highlights from  '16-'18.

Kudos again on your  "rejected" Vegas design. I keep going back and looking at it. Absolutely killer.

I like three LA ones from '17, Odense, Denmark from '18 and the Kobe, Japan one that I think is from '18.

4 hours ago, facefirst said:

True, I was paid for my submission but unless it’s approved I retain all rights to the artwork. So while I could print a run of art prints they wouldn’t have any mention of GNR on them since I don’t own any rights to their name. 

Is it normal for different artists to negotiate different agreements with Bravado/GNR regarding this matter?

I only ask because I have heard other artists from the tour describe this same agreement with Bravado but there's at least a couple other artists from the tour who have printed and even sold variants of their designs (complete with Guns N' Roses written on them) from their their own private site. The most notable being Sara Ray and her amazing colored/foil variants from San Diego 2016, which she sold from her Etsy page. I feel like it's a bit unfair for other artists to be allowed to do it but others aren't :(

3 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

Is it normal for different artists to negotiate different agreements with Bravado/GNR regarding this matter?

I only ask because I have heard other artists from the tour describe this same agreement with Bravado but there's at least a couple other artists from the tour who have printed and even sold variants of their designs (complete with Guns N' Roses written on them) from their their own private site. The most notable being Sara Ray and her amazing colored/foil variants from San Diego 2016, which she sold from her Etsy page. I feel like it's a bit unfair for other artists to be allowed to do it but others aren't :(

I would imagine if Bravado or GNR knew about it they’d have something to say. 

26 minutes ago, makdaddy said:

Facefirst how much for an AP of your Vegas litho - regular poster style print?  

No idea.  Would have to price it out.  But just everyone is clear, this wouldn’t have any GNR mention on it. 

also it would need to be a substantial amount of people preordering. Unfortunately if it’s just a couple people it wouldn’t be worth it to do. 

Edited by facefirst
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, facefirst said:

No idea.  Would have to price it out.  But just everyone is clear, this wouldn’t have any GNR mention on it. 

also it would need to be a substantial amount of people preordering. Unfortunately if it’s just a couple people it wouldn’t be worth it to do. 

Count me in

• Like 1

3 hours ago, facefirst said:

What it still have the dates and the 3 band members?  Is it just the GNR name is deleted or would there be other modifications / deletions. 

Silver lining here is people loved your work!

2 hours ago, nycgunner said:

What it still have the dates and the 3 band members?  Is it just the GNR name is deleted or would there be other modifications / deletions. 

Silver lining here is people loved your work!

Could keep the dates. I’m honestly not 100% sure if I can/can’t use GNR’s name if I’m not using any of their licensed imagery but I’d rather err on the side of caution. Last thing I want is these getting into the secondary market and people trying to pass them off as official. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, facefirst said:

So it’s cool to steal music as long as you’re not selling it?

Almost everyone on this forum has stolen music if that’s your definition. The last two months has been all about stolen music leaks. Listen, I mean no disrespect to you. I was told at Staples that it was legal to print a copy of one trademark image. 

59 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Almost everyone on this forum has stolen music if that’s your definition. The last two months has been all about stolen music leaks. Listen, I mean no disrespect to you. I was told at Staples that it was legal to print a copy of one trademark image. 

Whatever you gotta tell yourself in order to feel good. 

Just because someone else does something unethical doesn’t mean you need to follow suit. 

Look, there’s literally no scenario where you look right in this instance. You should just move on. 

Edited by facefirst

8 hours ago, facefirst said:

Whatever you gotta tell yourself in order to feel good. 

Just because someone else does something unethical doesn’t mean you need to follow suit. 

Look, there’s literally no scenario where you look right in this instance. You should just move on. 

Im comfortable with my decision. There is literally no scenario in which this harms you at all, and there are plenty of scenarios where I’m correct.  Save me the speech about IP. I’m certain you’re guilty of downloading music for free or some other scenario close to pirating, so get off your high horse. Unethical? Please. As if you live your life with some high minded sense of ethics. I don’t need to look right or correct on the internet, to you or anyone else. I live in a very small town in Oklahoma and your art and vision will be represented. If that’s some huge transgression to you then whatever. Get over yourself. And refund me for the atrocious Arlington design. 

Edited by The Holographic Universe

11 hours ago, facefirst said:

Could keep the dates. I’m honestly not 100% sure if I can/can’t use GNR’s name if I’m not using any of their licensed imagery but I’d rather err on the side of caution. Last thing I want is these getting into the secondary market and people trying to pass them off as official. 

Got it. Obviously you need to be comfortable if you did a forum run. Selfishly, I’d love to own and frame one as is with the GNR labeling or something that signifies Guns N’ Roses. Maybe welcome to the jungle is enough. Perhaps you could number them and then you’d know who has what (and buyers can verify their address and payment info with you). Again, happy to pay whatever for a proper print on that high quality paper that is typically used. 

Totally get the secondary market concern. I do think the China / Indonesian bootleggers frequent this forum because I’ve seen shirts for this tour with the litho image for sale hours before the show occurred (But after the image is posted here). Just wanted to flag

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Im comfortable with my decision. There is literally no scenario in which this harms you at all, and there are plenty of scenarios where I’m correct.  Save me the speech about IP. I’m certain you’re guilty of downloading music for free or some other scenario close to pirating, so get off your high horse. Unethical? Please. As if you live your life with some high minded sense of ethics. I don’t need to look right or correct on the internet, to you or anyone else. I live in a very small town in Oklahoma and your art and vision will be represented. If that’s some huge transgression to you then whatever. Get over yourself. And refund me for the atrocious Arlington design. 

It’s funny you said earlier that you don’t care what people think but then you write this diatribe to defend yourself. Seems like the person who should get over themselves is you, my man. 

if the Arlington poster was so atrocious then why did you buy it?  Vote with your dollars. Thanks for the purchase, though. 

Edited by facefirst