The pizza thread

ZoSoRose

There seems to be a cultural divide between the Americans and the rest of the world involving the weighty subject that is Pizza! We seem to be discussing completely different things, using completely different cultural tropes and terminology! I honestly wouldn't know the difference between a Chicago or a New York if it hit me in the face, but I do know a genuine Neapolitan, cooked in a ristorante. Not that I'm claiming the national higher ground seeing Britain's idea of Pizza involves the placing upon it all manner of heinous objects such as chips and fetid kebab meat.

I like 'the world' from Chinese Food to Pizza to the doughnut, every country has their own unique take on all of these things (I've noticed); so here goes -

I like what UK's done to curry and Chinese food with our Chinese Curry Sauce etc... To an extent I like what USA's done with Chinese food too with their Lo Mein to my Chow Mein, plus they gave the world fortune cookies. - Everything else though in the UK; doughnuts, pizza (I like toppings we seem to have in the UK that I hadn't seen anywhere else which seems to be a normal for every pizza place to have chicken or BBQ bases) but even pre packaged sandwiches are rank/not good in the UK (in comparison to prepacked sandwiches in the NL). Also, Amsterdam had a franchise of my local chicken shop that was packed full of Brits when I got there, only, the food was nicer - same menu, better service and chips are what I remember most about that.

035.JPG

This was my snapshot of it. Same menu! But the UK suck @ food that's not curry or ethnic British; I feel Scotland lead the way in British Cuisine followed by Cornwall and then behind them is wherever Shepard's Pie and Cottage Pie comes from followed by Fish & Chips and stretching for a 5th; Brighton Rock 'candy'.. 

Edited by Snake-Pit

39 minutes ago, Snake-Pit said:

I like 'the world' from Chinese Food to Pizza to the doughnut, every country has their own unique take on all of these things (I've noticed); so here goes -

I like what UK's done to curry and Chinese food with our Chinese Curry Sauce etc... To an extent I like what USA's done with Chinese food too with their Lo Mein to my Chow Mein, plus they gave the world fortune cookies. - Everything else though in the UK; doughnuts, pizza (I like toppings we seem to have in the UK that I hadn't seen anywhere else which seems to be a normal for every pizza place to have chicken or BBQ bases) but even pre packaged sandwiches are rank/not good in the UK (in comparison to prepacked sandwiches in the NL). Also, Amsterdam had a franchise of my local chicken shop that was packed full of Brits when I got there, only, the food was nicer - same menu, better service and chips are what I remember most about that.

035.JPG

This was my snapshot of it. Same menu! But the UK suck @ food that's not curry or ethnic British; I feel Scotland lead the way in British Cuisine followed by Cornwall and then behind them is wherever Shepard's Pie and Cottage Pie comes from followed by Fish & Chips and stretching for a 5th; Brighton Rock 'candy'.. 

You went all the way to Holland and ended up eating from the type of establishment you'd find in Croydon?

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You went all the way to Holland and ended up eating from the type of establishment you'd find in Croydon?

Yeah, and do you know what that taught me? The UK has terrible food... I stress; it is the establishment/franchise.

From google:

bcc3bec8be4af4da5bde0febf2b095c3.jpg

Favorite Chicken & Ribs

A UK one in South London..

1336386245_69a017ef09.jpg

One I found full of Brits in Amsterdam's Red Light District/Touristy bit;

Same menu / different quality of food and service.

Edited by Snake-Pit

3 hours ago, grouse said:

Is your world really that small? and don't mistake this for a personal attack because it really isn't. Is real pizza really that hard to come by in the states? when I was over there years ago(we're talking a decade) it was pretty much easily accessible. Do those big name parlors really own everything easily accessible for the average American?

no not really. you could find places that serve certain styles, but really you have to visit these places like Chicago, New York, Detroit to get the authentic deal anyway and ive never been to any.....Chain Pizza does have a nice hold in the Pizza bis though...its cheap and theres one on every corner.

Edited by -W.A.R-

44 minutes ago, Snake-Pit said:

Yeah, and do you know what that taught me? The UK has terrible food... I stress; it is the establishment/franchise.

From google:

bcc3bec8be4af4da5bde0febf2b095c3.jpg

Favorite Chicken & Ribs

A UK one in South London..

1336386245_69a017ef09.jpg

One I found full of Brits in Amsterdam's Red Light District/Touristy bit;

Same menu / different quality of food and service.

But why not just avoid all that cack all together and eat the local food. The Netherlands is famed for its dairy and bread. You basically left croydon eating British takeaway crap, and went to Holland and continued eating British takeaway crap.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

But why not just avoid all that cack all together and eat the local food. The Netherlands is famed for its dairy and bread. You basically left croydon eating British takeaway crap, and went to Holland and continued eating British takeaway crap.

I am so glad I found that place, when I first went I tried it your way, had the local doughnuts, found Suriname/Dutch Caribbean food (which if you're from Thornton Heath with Jamaican places everywhere).. Nah, I am so glad I found that random branch of this chicken shop I know for A: something to eat (that I knew and trusted) (No vending machine hot potato or pickled herring for me).. and B: it put home into perspective and was further proof that the UK food sucks so much, it almost wasn't fair, that's how good that Favorite Chicken & Ribs was in the NL compared to ones at home.. 

26 minutes ago, Snake-Pit said:

I am so glad I found that place, when I first went I tried it your way, had the local doughnuts, found Suriname/Dutch Caribbean food (which if you're from Thornton Heath with Jamaican places everywhere).. Nah, I am so glad I found that random branch of this chicken shop I know for A: something to eat (that I knew and trusted) (No vending machine hot potato or pickled herring for me).. and B: it put home into perspective and was further proof that the UK food sucks so much, it almost wasn't fair, that's how good that Favorite Chicken & Ribs was in the NL compared to ones at home.. 

That is a British style fast food shop - you mentioned that it was packed with Brits.

So you went all the way to Holland and ended up eating the same old garbage you ordinarily eat haha

Beans on toast is the new pizza. 

I had Fisn n chips yesterday at the seaside. Absolutely boiling weather. 

Chinese takeaway today. Even with an iron oh baby got to eat 4 spring rolls. 

Edited by wasted
Costa del swanage

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is a British style fast food shop - you mentioned that it was packed with Brits.

So you went all the way to Holland and ended up eating the same old garbage you ordinarily eat haha

Yes sir, and not only that, I was thankful for it. :lol: (and then saddened because it put my country to shame by it's superior quality).

Just now, Snake-Pit said:

Yes sir, and not only that, I was thankful for it. :lol: (and then saddened because it put my country to shame by it's superior quality).

In other words, the Dutch do British crap food better than the British do British crap food?

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

In other words, the Dutch do British crap food better than the British do British crap food?

Yes, but in reality; Britain can only do currys and that's about it.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Just now, Len B'stard said:

I always thought Peking Duck sounded like a chinese whorehouse.

See, we have a Chinese place called Koover and growing up, I ordered from a place called Ho Ho's in South Norwood just because of the name of the resturant. Won Kei as well actually, is another one, I have one called Koover :lol: and one called  Won Kei. - Further a field like a mile away in Thornton Heath Pond/London Road is a place called New Rose;.. This town is awesome!

I'd take pictures sometime.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Just now, Gracii Guns said:

I want to go to America just so I can eat a good pizza. Would anyone be willing to contribute to my kickstarter?

I want to go Italy for the same thing, how weird.

I had pizza when I was staying on the Jersey Shore (Seaside Heights) in New Jersey; People like Robert De Niro get spotted in that neighbourhood. Yeah. USA have some incredible sandwiches, if you go, check out a place called Applebee's; me however, want to go to Italy for 'good pizza' that said, the NL has good pizza.

Edited by Snake-Pit

8 hours ago, Snake-Pit said:

001.JPG

Was good. I had a regular 10" RRP £9.99 for this one but he charged me £7 instead of £8 for some deal or something... So, whatever.

I had a HP sausage roll. It came with HP sausage already in the roll. Alien technology finally pays off. The pyramids were built by HP sauce. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I had a HP sausage roll. It came with HP sausage already in the roll. Alien technology finally pays off. The pyramids were built by HP sauce. 

You've just invented the HP brown sauce pizza base, congratulations... 'ewl'; Though that said, HP brown sauce pizza base, baked beans, mozzarella, provolone, cheddar and parmesan?