Unofficial GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

52 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Does Geffen Records still exists. Didn't it became Interscope in the meantime or even in the late 90s?

Yes Geffen was bought out by interscope and jimmy iovine helped push through chinese. 

I dont think GNR have a contract for a major record label anymore for a new album . 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, vloors said:

Yes Geffen was bought out by interscope and jimmy iovine helped push through chinese. 

I dont think GNR have a contract for a major record label anymore for a new album . 

Yeah, I think Geffen was temporarily shuttered soon after the buy out, but was re established as a working entity as a part of Interscope/Universal.

In the Chinese Exchange interview Axl talks about how they should've have formed their own label but didnt know how.  My take away from that is that he is still under contract with Geffen.  Also based on rumour that he turned in CDII in 2011.  If he wasn't under contract with them, he could've easily found some label to put out a finished Guns album.

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, I think Geffen was temporarily shuttered soon after the buy out, but was re established as a working entity as a part of Interscope/Universal.

In the Chinese Exchange interview Axl talks about how they should've have formed their own label but didnt know how.  My take away from that is that he is still under contract with Geffen.  Also based on rumour that he turned in CDII in 2011.  If he wasn't under contract with them, he could've easily found some label to put out a finished Guns album.

In 2014 I know appetite for democracy was released by interscope/universal/geffen so they were still contracted to them at that point however theres no longer any mention of guns n roses on the roster lineup of interscope/geffen anymore https://www.interscope.com/artists

And gnr have no mention of any record label on their site.

Im guessing here that appetite for democracy was the last release to fulfil their contracts and they are no longer signed.

2 minutes ago, vloors said:

In 2014 I know appetite for democracy was released by interscope/universal/geffen so they were still contracted to them at that point however theres no longer any mention of guns n roses on the roster lineup of interscope/geffen anymore https://www.interscope.com/artists

And gnr have no mention of any record label on their site.

Im guessing here that appetite for democracy was the last release to fulfil their contracts and they are no longer signed.

Some very good points here and thanks for highlighting their absence from the roster.  Sounds like thats likely the case.  

Only thing to throw a wrench in that theory could be that Axl said CD would be three releases.  So either he was only on the hook for two and as an artist planned three anyways (well, 4 with remix album) or the label just took Appetite for Democracy and called it a day?  Maybe having spent three albums budget on CD alone?

I wonder if Axl had to buy the masters of the CD leftovers?  Because thats often the case and giving them away to artist is only done as a good will gesture and I dont think Axl had much of that with the label.

So.. now Im realizing that our band doesnt even have distribution.  Seriously cant get more Axl / TB then that. :facepalm:

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Some very good points here and thanks for highlighting their absence from the roster.  Sounds like thats likely the case.  

Only thing to throw a wrench in that theory could be that Axl said CD would be three releases.  So either he was only on the hook for two and as an artist planned three anyways (well, 4 with remix album) or the label just took Appetite for Democracy and called it a day?  Maybe having spent three albums budget on CD alone?

I wonder if Axl had to buy the masters of the CD leftovers?  Because thats often the case and giving them away to artist is only done as a good will gesture and I dont think Axl had much of that with the label.

So.. now Im realizing that our band doesnt even have distribution.  Seriously cant get more Axl / TB then that. :facepalm:

You under estimate Axl and TB.

Between then they have been able to put the past behind them, create a successful reunion of 3 people and manage a world wide tour with no apparent issues including time keeping with out others getting involved to muddy the waters.

Give credit, were credit is due.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

Between then they have been able to put the past behind them, create a successful reunion of 3 people and manage a world wide tour with no apparent issues including time keeping with out others getting involved to muddy the waters.

hmmmm, but about that lack of distribution though...

10 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Good question. Anyone know?

I’ll answer since it’s pretty much my fault this discussion is going around right now lol

One of Ashba’s most recent posts on Instagram is a guitar rack that musicians have particularly for tours. The caption reads “Getting ready for WAR”

Sounds like nothing, no? WAR is presumed to stand for William Axl Rose and matches with a trademark Axl registered around the start of the NITL tour. Ashba also posted a photo with Axl recently.

All rumors and speculation of course. But that is where it comes from and is pretty  wise speculation knowing what we know.

10 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’ll answer since it’s pretty much my fault this discussion is going around right now lol

One of Ashba’s most recent posts on Instagram is a guitar rack that musicians have particularly for tours. The caption reads “Getting ready for WAR”

Sounds like nothing, no? WAR is presumed to stand for William Axl Rose and matches with a trademark Axl registered around the start of the NITL tour. Ashba also posted a photo with Axl recently.

All rumors and speculation of course. But that is where it comes from and is pretty  wise speculation knowing what we know.

So Ashba is joining WAR as a bass guitarist, Axl is joining WAR as a vocalist, Angus family is joining WAR as guitarist and rhythm, and Chris Slade is their drummer in order to finish their new album Stay of Execution...is that what’s happening haha i always knew the unofficial social media thread would be better than the official one 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

So Ashba is joining WAR as a bass guitarist, Axl is joining WAR as a vocalist, Angus family is joining WAR as guitarist and rhythm, and Chris Slade is their drummer in order to finish their new album Stay of Execution...is that what’s happening haha i always knew the unofficial social media thread would be better than the official one 

I mean...uh....sure :P 

1 hour ago, kiwiguns said:

Giving credit is not fun and goes against the Sacred Book of how to be a hardcore.  :lol:

11 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

:rofl-lol:

16 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Ahh I see! I missed those posts. Thought all the fuss was over his awkward LA show post. 

Im pretty sure WAR is Axl cos  why would recording or touring be like getting ready for war. 

Maybe they are trolling us in an attempt to hide the fact they are in the studio recording Guns. 

I doubt it I don't know what to make of it anymore 

9 hours ago, vloors said:

Heres something for you. Slash is no longer following Myles Kennedys official on Insta or twitter 🤔

Could there be a riff between the two? Could the conspirators have a new singer? 😁

I haven't checked Slash's IG in a long time but he doesn't even follow Duff and I think he never followed Myles on Instagram

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Ahh I see! I missed those posts. Thought all the fuss was over his awkward LA show post. 

Im pretty sure WAR is Axl cos  why would recording or touring be like getting ready for war. 

Maybe they are trolling us in an attempt to hide the fact they are in the studio recording Guns. 

I have no idea anymore with this band. Who knows.

2 hours ago, starlight said:

I haven't checked Slash's IG in a long time but he doesn't even follow Duff and I think he never followed Myles on Instagram

When I started following Slash he definitely wasn't following Myles so I thought I missed something. Seems to be the usual case of fans checking the following list after a rumour and jumping to conclusions. Seen it happen with rumours of other celeb rifts. 

2 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Slash was in Disneyland celebrating Todds birthday with the entire SMKC crew minus Myles, so it's safe to say they weren't in the studio, atleast until now. Meegan said Slash is going to do SMKC at the end of this month, but Myles said he had no idea recently, so that makes no sense right now.

I don't see any reason for this to be a big conspiracy with everyone from Todd from SMKC and Ashba cooperating spreading fake news to cover GNR recording..wtf lol. Just seems to be a bit chaotic

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

Well saw it mentioned on NT and I'm not a guitarist myself but don't they oft refer to their guitars as an axe? Battle axe...war. Not sure why he would be working with Axl right now but I'd kinda forgotten about him which is probably why he's put out these cryptic posts. He's trying to get some attention while not being a dick doing it while Gn'R are kicking arse on tour. 

I'm seeing Duff, Slash and Dizzy working stuff now and early into the new year and I'm hoping Axl has the same opportunity. If he can get together with Angus, get in the studio, work on an album (as was rumored to be a possibility last spring) on somebody else's terms and conditions I think it could really help him. He once talked about how rehearsals with them had helped him realize how beneficial they were, yadda yadda...and it's clear having the opportunity to sing for AC/DC lit a fire under his arse. He was so giddy and excited and in 2016/2017 he's been killing it.

As much as I NEED / WANT a Gn'R album I'm trying to be patient because I do feel as though it will happen.  I also spoke with a fellow involved in the tour in LA, for some time, and he said the feeling amongst the crew was pretty heavily weighted toward there being one. We even speculated about what kind of stuff they could write about. 

Axl is a f'n genius. He'll get there, we'll get there. Patience. 

My .02

7 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Hopefully Axl isn’t recording anything till he gets his vocals fixed. 2017 was bad 

Totally disagree. 

• Like 3