Unofficial GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Damn, he doesn't just resemble Rick he could be his doppelganger.   If you had shown me that pic and asked who i thought it was i would've said Rick from Pawn Stars, 100 percent sure.

:D

I always like Rick's father ( RIP). he looked like a mob Don from the Pawn :D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sanomatovic said:

Whats that? Its old moustache Axl, right? But its that Slash on the left of Izzy?

44 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Noooo

If I were to guess, I'd guess Pitman. Didn't he wear hats like that?

Didn't know where else to post this. A couple listens to One In A Million for the first time and reacts to it without knowing anything about the song. I like their interpretation, because instead of getting offended like a lot of people, they seem to understand what Axl was trying to say here and end up giving it a 10.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Didn't know where else to post this. A couple listens to One In A Million for the first time and reacts to it without knowing anything about the song. I like their interpretation, because instead of getting offended like a lot of people, they seem to understand what Axl was trying to say here and end up giving it a 10.

Always been my favourite GnR song.  Regardless of the fact that its racist...and it is racist.  See thats the bit that gets me, the only way people can like it is to put some sort of excuse to it, I don't think it needs an excuse, it is a good song and it is racist.  I mean a good song is to be do with how a thing sounds musically and how it puts across what it wants to put across, to me anyway, not whether you agree with the shit wholesale. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Always been my favourite GnR song.  Regardless of the fact that its racist...and it is racist.  See thats the bit that gets me, the only way people can like it is to put some sort of excuse to it, I don't think it needs an excuse, it is a good song and it is racist.  I mean a good song is to be do with how a thing sounds musically and how it puts across what it wants to put across, to me anyway, not whether you agree with the shit wholesale. 

I've watched these two forever now and they are amazing. You should watch their Tool reactions. 

42 minutes ago, iftheworld said:

I've watched these two forever now and they are amazing. You should watch their Tool reactions. 

Yeah, I've seen some of their videos and I like them too, but sometimes I'm amazed at their ignorance... they were talking about trying to get an interview with John Lennon after reacting to a John Lennon video. I mean, these are people in their 30s who grew up in a western country. But they do seem very sincere.

57 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Always been my favourite GnR song.  Regardless of the fact that its racist...and it is racist.

I don't even know if it is racist, if I interpret it the right way.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

wonder when this will get removed from YouTube 

• Like 1

Axl Rose has written very few songs on his own. OIAM and Dead Horse are songs he brought in with chords, lyrics and melody that were rounded out by the band. NR and Estranged were based /on inspired by Without You by Del-The Smell-James. Not to mention Slash was robbed of a co-write on Estranged. Oh, and then theres My World. He spent millions of dollars to have people write much of CD... because he's not a great songwriter on his own. And thats what we see in OIAM - not a great songwriter.

The lyrics suck. And Im not speaking here to the racist, homophobic, xenophobic, ablest language. Im talking about dumbass lyrics like "...Clamped infront of my back." Just nonsense. Also, the entire conceit of the song is undone by his nonsensical ramblings, he says that he needed to get away and find peace of mind and that he found it in LA... yeah, and then he goes on to say what a devastating hell hole it is. :lol: 

Then in the fan favourite 3rd verse we continue to see a very confused man. He says "radical and racists" in an apparent attempt to speak to the left and the right of the political spectrum - except racism is a radical position to hold. But you know, he's a poet so he's going for the alliteration of the two 'r' words :lol:. And after addressing these camps he says that his homophobia is just him "trying to make ends meet." Except homos dont prevent him, or indeed anyone, from making a living :facepalm::P. The lyrics, in totality, are gibberish.

And no, quoting lowest common denominator bigotry isnt him describing his surroundings. Its him quoting lowest common denominator bigotry. Its simple. Theres nothing new or nuisanced about it.

One cannot get more cliched as a lyricist then to tack on an "its all Greek to me." 

I think no one helped him with these lyrics and thats why they suck extra hard.

Edited by soon

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Axl Rose has written very few songs on his own.

But the ones he did bring in on his own are fucking great though! Except Shotgun Blues, that's a real filler track if you ask me. (and My World, but let's ignore that one)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, soon said:

Axl Rose has written very few songs on his own. OIAM and Dead Horse are songs he brought in with chords, lyrics and melody that were rounded out by the band. NR and Estranged were based /on inspired by Without You by Del-The Smell-James.

I always thought the NR video was based on Without You, but not the actual song? Didn't Axl start writing the song before he even met Del?

• Like 2