RussTCB

Unofficial GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

6 minutes ago, Lio said:

If I were to guess, I'd guess Pitman. Didn't he wear hats like that?

tbh I never noticed what he wore :lol: 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, janrichmond said:

tbh I never noticed what he wore :lol: 

I thought he only wears a towel at his shoulder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Didn't know where else to post this. A couple listens to One In A Million for the first time and reacts to it without knowing anything about the song. I like their interpretation, because instead of getting offended like a lot of people, they seem to understand what Axl was trying to say here and end up giving it a 10.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Didn't know where else to post this. A couple listens to One In A Million for the first time and reacts to it without knowing anything about the song. I like their interpretation, because instead of getting offended like a lot of people, they seem to understand what Axl was trying to say here and end up giving it a 10.

Always been my favourite GnR song.  Regardless of the fact that its racist...and it is racist.  See thats the bit that gets me, the only way people can like it is to put some sort of excuse to it, I don't think it needs an excuse, it is a good song and it is racist.  I mean a good song is to be do with how a thing sounds musically and how it puts across what it wants to put across, to me anyway, not whether you agree with the shit wholesale. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Always been my favourite GnR song.  Regardless of the fact that its racist...and it is racist.  See thats the bit that gets me, the only way people can like it is to put some sort of excuse to it, I don't think it needs an excuse, it is a good song and it is racist.  I mean a good song is to be do with how a thing sounds musically and how it puts across what it wants to put across, to me anyway, not whether you agree with the shit wholesale. 

I've watched these two forever now and they are amazing. You should watch their Tool reactions. 

42 minutes ago, iftheworld said:

I've watched these two forever now and they are amazing. You should watch their Tool reactions. 

Yeah, I've seen some of their videos and I like them too, but sometimes I'm amazed at their ignorance... they were talking about trying to get an interview with John Lennon after reacting to a John Lennon video. I mean, these are people in their 30s who grew up in a western country. But they do seem very sincere.

57 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Always been my favourite GnR song.  Regardless of the fact that its racist...and it is racist.

I don't even know if it is racist, if I interpret it the right way.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

wonder when this will get removed from YouTube 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Axl Rose has written very few songs on his own. OIAM and Dead Horse are songs he brought in with chords, lyrics and melody that were rounded out by the band. NR and Estranged were based /on inspired by Without You by Del-The Smell-James. Not to mention Slash was robbed of a co-write on Estranged. Oh, and then theres My World. He spent millions of dollars to have people write much of CD... because he's not a great songwriter on his own. And thats what we see in OIAM - not a great songwriter.

The lyrics suck. And Im not speaking here to the racist, homophobic, xenophobic, ablest language. Im talking about dumbass lyrics like "...Clamped infront of my back." Just nonsense. Also, the entire conceit of the song is undone by his nonsensical ramblings, he says that he needed to get away and find peace of mind and that he found it in LA... yeah, and then he goes on to say what a devastating hell hole it is. :lol: 

Then in the fan favourite 3rd verse we continue to see a very confused man. He says "radical and racists" in an apparent attempt to speak to the left and the right of the political spectrum - except racism is a radical position to hold. But you know, he's a poet so he's going for the alliteration of the two 'r' words :lol:. And after addressing these camps he says that his homophobia is just him "trying to make ends meet." Except homos dont prevent him, or indeed anyone, from making a living :facepalm::P. The lyrics, in totality, are gibberish.

And no, quoting lowest common denominator bigotry isnt him describing his surroundings. Its him quoting lowest common denominator bigotry. Its simple. Theres nothing new or nuisanced about it.

One cannot get more cliched as a lyricist then to tack on an "its all Greek to me." 

I think no one helped him with these lyrics and thats why they suck extra hard.

Edited by soon

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Axl Rose has written very few songs on his own.

But the ones he did bring in on his own are fucking great though! Except Shotgun Blues, that's a real filler track if you ask me. (and My World, but let's ignore that one)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, soon said:

Axl Rose has written very few songs on his own. OIAM and Dead Horse are songs he brought in with chords, lyrics and melody that were rounded out by the band. NR and Estranged were based /on inspired by Without You by Del-The Smell-James.

I always thought the NR video was based on Without You, but not the actual song? Didn't Axl start writing the song before he even met Del?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, EvanG said:

But the ones he did bring in on his own are fucking great though! Except Shotgun Blues, that's a real filler track if you ask me. (and My World, but let's ignore that one)

Right, I forgot Shotgun Blues! I actually really dig that track! lol The lyrics are cringey but I love the melody, guitar riffs, everything other then the lyrics. And Axl plays like a bad ass on that track. His background vocals at the very end are really captivating imho too.

16 minutes ago, Lio said:

I always thought the NR video was based on Without You, but not the actual song? Didn't Axl start writing the song before he even met Del?

I thought it was the reverse, but maybe I misspoke. Although the line "without you" is the climax of Estranged. So an intermingling of some sort took place.

Edited by soon

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, soon said:

Axl Rose has written very few songs on his own. OIAM and Dead Horse are songs he brought in with chords, lyrics and melody that were rounded out by the band. NR and Estranged were based /on inspired by Without You by Del-The Smell-James. Not to mention Slash was robbed of a co-write on Estranged. Oh, and then theres My World. He spent millions of dollars to have people write much of CD... because he's not a great songwriter on his own. And thats what we see in OIAM - not a great songwriter.

The lyrics suck. And Im not speaking here to the racist, homophobic, xenophobic, ablest language. Im talking about dumbass lyrics like "...Clamped infront of my back." Just nonsense. Also, the entire conceit of the song is undone by his nonsensical ramblings, he says that he needed to get away and find peace of mind and that he found it in LA... yeah, and then he goes on to say what a devastating hell hole .....

I think no one helped him with these lyrics and thats why they suck extra hard.

Dumbass lyrics?  Are you being sarcastic?  Clamped in front of my back is very clever. The police make one turn around and the back of the person being arrested is in front of the  cop. This handcuffs are put on in front of the back by the cop. I'm not going to debate the lyrics with you. Its been done too often. 

Edited by Kwick1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

Dumbass lyrics?  Are you being sarcastic?  Clamped in front of my back is very clever. The police make one turn around and the back of the person being arrested is in front of the  cop. This handcuffs are put on in front of the back by the cop. I'm not going to debate the lyrics with you. Its been done too often. 

Looks like you are debating lyrics wth me :)

I dont believe I said "Dumbass lyrics" but I did say "Nonsensical" and "suck extra hard" so fair enough. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

This handcuffs are put on in front of the back by the cop.

That doesn't make sense though! "Clamped infront of my back" either lacks object permanence or is poor grammar to the extent the the subject is lost. Sad too, because "Clamped behind my back" would've fit in just fine.

I mean we can put in the hard work and agree that yes, Axl is attempting to discuss handcuffs. But, no, the lyrics make no sense with out us being very giving listeners. 

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Looks like you are debating lyrics wth me :)

I dont believe I said "Dumbass lyrics" but I did say "Nonsensical" and "suck extra hard" so fair enough. :lol:

That doesn't make sense though! "Clamped infront of my back" either lacks object permanence or is poor grammar to the extent the the subject is lost. Sad too, because "Clamped behind my back" would've fit in just fine.

Lol! Maybe I am. But you said dumbass lyrics. I dont think anyone has ever thought the subject was lost by the phrasing in front of my back. It requires one to think and picture just how that would occur. 

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

This guy is Frank alike.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

Lol! Maybe I am. But you said dumbass lyrics. I dont think anyone has ever thought the subject was lost by the phrasing in front of my back. It requires one to think and picture just how that would occur. 

I didnt say Dumbass lyrics :bitchfight: 

EDIT: I did say dumbass lyrics :lol:

I will happily admit that i didnt have any idea what "infront of my back" meant. "Clamped behind my back" would be a more precise vehicle to help listeners like myself, I guess. Because in addition to the serious grammatical error, cops stand a little bit off to one side of you when cuffing you. Come to think of it, he should have said "clamped off to the one side of my ass" and it would be a far more vivid image. :lol:

Edited by soon
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Im talking about dumbass lyrics like "...Clamped infront of my back."

1 minute ago, soon said:

I didnt say Dumbass lyrics :bitchfight:

Yeah you did :D

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Yeah you did :D

hahaha! So I did. I really didnt see that when I first reread my post to look for it :lol:

And I stand by it :headbang::P

Edited by soon

57 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

I agree with you. I always found clamped in front of my back in particular very clever. Reading soon's comment I thought it might be my mistake not being a native speaker, but I'm happy you at least interpret it the same way I do :lol:

• Like 1

When Lies was released everyone in my circle was talking about OIAM and we were like, man! Did he really just say that?! It doesn't matter how one feels about the song, we are still talking about those ever so  controversial lyrics today. That's my definition of a song well written. It remains a masterpiece to me and I absolutely love Axl's  vocals on it. 

• Like 3

On 4/29/2019 at 6:13 PM, EvanG said:

I haven't watched the video yet, but I think this is an interesting interpretation too:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t99-one-in-a-million#12127

• Like 1

Apparently people are comfortable saying: 'OIAM is bigoted but I still like it.'

Apparently, so far, no one is comfortable saying: 'It's a grammatical nightmare to the extent that sometimes it barely makes sense. And is a rhetorical nightmare to the extent that the songs conceit is balanced on Axl connecting entirely unrelated subject matter. But I still like it.' 

I mean, Axl seeks to vindicate himself regarding the bigotry by virtue of being a small town Murican. Why cant one also apply that social location to explain why he is a semi literate slack jawed yokel? (Im a small town white boy, so its okay when I say it! ;))

C'est la vie :shrugs: