Melissa, Dizzy on Keyboard

I'm completely indifferent on Melissa, for her keyboard stuff, I dont care if shes there or not because, with the exception of Better and PC, I couldn't hear her at either of the shows I went to. Dizzys ok but hes becoming sloppier at playing piano. He doesnt play the phrasing on Estranged correctly anymore, and he plays (whether you like it or hate the song) This I Love incorrectly. So what I'm thinking is hes better at playing stuff that he wrote & played the piano for (Street of Dreams etc) than what Axl wrote & played (Estranged, This I Love etc). 

8 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

She's doubling up on what's being played on rhythm guitar and/or bass most likely. Playing synths that sound like guitar etc... It's not supposed to be noticeable, and lays back in the mix just enough that you feel its effects instead of hearing them. You're def not going to hear it on youtube. Keyboards in that setting give a performance either dynamics or make a song sound and feel fuller as you can dial in tones that the guitars and bass don't handle well. That's probably 80% of her job on stage. Then it's contributing background vocals and samples last. 

A lot of bands do this, except they have them backstage playing parts. It's a legit gig. 

Yeah I appreciate and understand that (great post btw), which is why I'm holding out judgement until I witness them live - as unit / wall of sound.  Frequencies of guitars, mics, amps, etc play a big part in the overall sound (and obviously the massive impact of the venue's acoustics too) so I understand the role she'd be playing here. With Pittman, I'd specifically try look/listen out for his contribution live (from the perspective of the sound as whole from the band), with no luck.

kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch 

I like what she plays. I like how she sings. I'd like if she changed her look a bit to fit in more with the rest of the band.

45 minutes ago, Flayer said:

kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch kvetch 

I like what she plays. I like how she sings. I'd like if she changed her look a bit to fit in more with the rest of the band.

She is the Ayatollah of Keyboards. 

• 1 year later...
On ‎27‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 5:06 PM, RJ88 said:

I honestly havent noticed her on stage at all

That was already my main complaint when Chris was in the band.  He had a lot more to offer than he was able to do so. Just compare the different versions from Rocket Queen through the years. You could defintitely hear his synthesizer during the 2002 tour but he was inaudible in later live Performances.

Edited by Sosso

On 8/25/2016 at 10:09 AM, guitarpatch said:

So would you rather have someone playing stuff backstage, or just have her stand there emotionless and not connected to the performance? 

She never comes out from behind her setup the entire show. That's a pretty minimal spotlight 

She still looks like an ass clown when you do see her...

3 hours ago, Sosso said:

That was already my main complaint when Chris was in the band.  He had a lot more to offer than he was able to do so. Just compare the different versions from Rocket Queen through the years. You could defintitely hear his synthesizer during the 2002 tour but he was inaudible in later live Performances.

Synthesizers in RQ is a fucking joke... They song is already perfect and that just dilutes it...

• Like 1

On 8/25/2016 at 9:34 AM, guitarpatch said:

You're def not going to hear it on youtube. 

I can definitely hear some Synthesizer bullshit all over the main riff in It's So Easy in the vids I have seen from Apollo and The Troubadour.. It sounds terrible.. Maybe it only sticks out during the small shows?

Also Gn'R never needed a second synth player to make the guitars sound more full back in the day.. That is why they were so great... You shouldn't need that when you have two guitarists anyway..  That is more prevalent when you are a one guitar band.

I think understanding and appreciating what Melissa is doing live can exist separately from thinking she is needed or essential. Am I fine with her? Yes, she doesn't bother me and I actually think her backing vocals add a lot to the sound.

Do I think she is needed? No. AC/DC (one example) seems to have a nice full live sound without a backing keyboardist. Yeah it helps pad out November Rain or whatever like the studio arrangement, and obviously the CD stuff, but as a whole it's not needed.

• Like 1

Ive made peace with her presence on stage, as far as image and swagger, now that she doesnt just hop on spot non-stop.  I think her social media is very embarrassing due to the personalty of it and mostly the product hocking.  I think her vocals are great and if Axl needs synth then she does that excellently.  I really like the Apollo Sorry synths for instance.  

Being that Im fine with her, I am able to see the humour.  Like remember the Troubadour: all of a sudden there was a raver-millennial-chick looking like Bam-Bam?!  Theres comedy to it that is the same ol' GNR comedy that inspires them to play Looney Tunes before the show.

Like, if there were a modern day Spinal Tap doing a send up of Rock in the new millennium there would most certainly be a gag where a Melissa-type appears in an aging, damaged-image band like GnR - would just slip in like a new drummer in Spina Tap without mention.  :lol:

The comedy and tragedy that is GnR exists as its own entity and should not be attributed to an auxiliary player.  

And Diz is cool in my books, even if he's an easy target for lols as well.  To me he's like the Newstead of GNR - the one that is still relatable as a fan of rock n roll and not a rich business person.  A torch bearer.

@soon  I have to give you credit for making the first almost-plausible case for Melissa by going down the GNR humour route. :P  

Sorry, I can't accept her.  She may be a talented young lady in her own way, but she doesn't look, or act like she belongs in Guns N' Roses.  And her services are simply not required.  

Dizzy is barely tolerable and that's mostly because he's been there for so long he's become part of the furniture.  

GNR doesn't need anything except for what they started out with.  I could abide keyboards/piano for certain songs where piano is the point, such as NR and Locomotive outro.   CD songs do not require any of Axl's electro gizmos and effects.  He pisses me off like that.  He should know how solid they are structurally and that when played live they don't need embellishment.  He spoils his own good work (no, I'm not surprised, just ranting). :lol:  Anyway, no to Melissa.  I begrudgingly accept Dizzy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1