[Classic Rock] The 10 Worst GN'R Songs

19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I like Perfect Crime, Reckless Life, Dead Horse and Bad Apples - I've never quite got my head around the reason Bad Apples is disliked? I'd go, if we are including fake Guns: 1/ My World 2/ Chinese Democracy 3/ Scraped 4/ Shackler's Revenge 5/ Sorry.

Don't agree with Shacklers, Chinese or Sorry being in the top 10 worst gnr songs list.

Rhiad, Scraped, Shotgun Blues, Silkworms, catcher, get in the ring, My world, Oh My God and Coma (yes coma, it's a full blown snoozer) are all really bad, to VERY average. 

Just now, Tom2112 said:

Don't agree with Shacklers, Chinese or Sorry being in the top 10 worst gnr songs list.

Rhiad, Scraped, Shotgun Blues, Silkworms, catcher, get in the ring, My world, Oh My God and Coma (yes coma, it's a full blown snoozer) are all really bad, to VERY average. 

I have an intense hatred of ''Chinese Democracy'' the song.

Thing is about Illusion stinkers like ''Get in the Ring'' and ''Shotgun Blues'', they at least have the common decency to have Slash's leads which were never less than sublime during the old era.

In my opinion, UYI albums has a lot of filler and should've never been released and two albums. Hence, this is reflected on my list

1. My World
  2. Garden of Eden
  3. Don't Damn Me
  4. You Ain't The First
  5. Oh My God
  6. If The World
  7. Double Talking Jive
  8. The Prostitute
  9. Riad And The Bedouins
  10. Anything Goes

I disagree with about half of that list. Perfect Crime and Dead Horse are killer tunes. Anything Goes while the weakest song on AFD still rocks pretty hard. Bad Apples got a nice Stones vibe to it and has a great solo, and Reckless Life is fine. I'm okay witht the rest of the list, though the only GnR songs I truly dislike are probably only My World and lyrics-wise GITR and Shotgun Blues.

• Like 1

I always loved Bad Apples. Perfect Crime isn't that bad. I'm one of the few people who thing Rhiad had potential (of not horribly overproduced like all of CD) and I think Dead Horse is amazing right until the Vanishing Point speech. That's a bit of a downer. 

The rest I can live with. 

i forgot about Oh My God. i guess that says enough right there that it should be on the list. it may even be the worst GNR song ever. My World was just Axl messing around but i think Oh My God was an honest attempt and god is it bloody awful....Prostitute is one of the better songs on CD though

im stunned someone mentioned Coma. i get it may not be for everyone, but the complexity and lyrics should be enough to keep it far away from any worst of list.

Edited by -W.A.R-

3 hours ago, username said:

I always loved Bad Apples. Perfect Crime isn't that bad. I'm one of the few people who thing Rhiad had potential (of not horribly overproduced like all of CD) and I think Dead Horse is amazing right until the Vanishing Point speech. That's a bit of a downer. 

The rest I can live with. 

Vanishing point speech is on Breakdown 

funny enough the jack on my speaker wire just broke a few days ago and it has no left channel for the time being so the whole vanishing point speech is practically erased :lol: 

Like a lot of you, I really like Dead Horse and Bad Apples. As Len mentioned about BA, the humor in the lyrics makes it fun, but if you pay attention, you're also getting an autobiographical glimpse into their lives. My World I just think is hilarious and I don't mind listening to it at all. Anything Goes... :facepalm: The lyrics are cringey on that one. I don't think I'd fight a whole lot about the rest of the list; some of those I flat out skip when I'm listening to the cds. Well, Perfect Crime is alright, the music hits hard, it's fun to rock to, but I skip it 'cause I have little kids and I don't want them to have nightmares! :lol:

Coma is a masterpiece.

Anything Goes  - technically a Hollywood Rose song and killer slide/vox solo

My World doesn't have a band so is it GNR

Get in the ring is a missed opportunity

I won't count CD as a whole

I'd say shotgun blues . to repetitive and just blah

That's straight bullshit, dead horse is the first song I ever learned to play on a guitar and does not deserve to be placed on this list, and wreckless life is actually one of my favorite songs ever written, it dates back to the period of hollywood rose and their super fast double bass drums charging the way forward. Awesome thrashy song this guys a moron

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Interesting that no one mentioned One In a Million - thought that song would get a lot of hate. Musically it's just too freaking good to be in any worst list I guess.

Yep.  If there is one song in their catalogue that deserves to be re-released with re-worked lyrics, that's the one.  But it probably will never happen so the song will most likely fade away as their most infamous song and as a black mark in the band's history. 

Edited by Kasanova King

5 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Vanishing point speech is on Breakdown 

funny enough the jack on my speaker wire just broke a few days ago and it has no left channel for the time being so the whole vanishing point speech is practically erased :lol: 

Ah. I drank more than I thought last night! :lol: 

19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have an intense hatred of ''Chinese Democracy'' the song.

Thing is about Illusion stinkers like ''Get in the Ring'' and ''Shotgun Blues'', they at least have the common decency to have Slash's leads which were never less than sublime during the old era.

I agree, both of those songs are brought up to almost passable with Slash's leads. Back when Slash could write very musical / interesting solos and not just blaze all the time! 

CD is one of the weaker tracks on the album, OK but not great.

I think Riad is a decent song that can be improved. I like the 1st verse guitar riff, and the guitar riff that plays behind the solo. I think the chorus is very catchy, but the rest of the song could do without the "ahhh"s. The 2nd verse guitar riff seems less energetic, and Axls vocals are noticably weaker on the 2nd verse. The outro riff is lacking in comparison to the entire song. Bumblefoots solo is worse than Buckets solo on the demo.

Though it is a particularly slow song, I think "Sorry" would have been received a lot better if it

1. didnt have very long verses (meaning it got to the chorus quicker)

2.  there was no Pitman (weird high note synth that plays through the verses)

3. if the mix was more dynamic (the quiet verse sounds louder than the chorus

4. if Axl didnt dub his own voice 5 times over each other (and maybe make the vocal melody a little more "melodic" than the spoken word esque thing he does on it).

5. If every guitar during the verses were hard panned to either side (vs mainly the acoustic guitar, you can barely make it out).

6. If Tommy's bass line was a little more interesting  (meaning improvised)