01/28/17 - Tokyo - Saitama Super Arena

RussTCB

1 minute ago, estrangedtwat said:

Not only did I not shit myself.....

That really was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.  I saw all the different incarnations of NuGuns and they may as well have been a cover band.  I can't even describe how good this was.

Yeah, I'll be "that guy" and tell you that anyone judging anything off of a periscope is full of shit.  Slash is a fucking monster.  So is Duff.  And Axl, by God, he was on fucking fire.  I was close enough to see the look in his eyes.  He was having a fucking ball tonight for some reason and it showed.

Guys....I've been waiting since 1992 to see these guys together.  And I don't feel let down an iota.  It was fucking MAGIC.

I was a few meters away from Slash shredding the shit out of everything, his guitar slung in signature pose, the sweat dripping off his nose ring, his mouth making "wah wah" shapes with every note he played.  And Axl was onstage with him.  And Duff.  And I honestly took Axl for his word and thought I'd never see that in this lifetime.  But I DID.

I implore everyone reading this....just go to a show.  Don't sit in the nosebleeds.  Get up close where it's sweaty and dangerous.  Turn off the periscopes and just see the show.  Don't miss it.

Awesome! Glad it was a great show, it really is a different experience live 

good thing is if Axl sounds great in person he's doing it with very little effort

you can actually tell he's not pushing his voice that hard anymore, he's not going for deep rasp on it, but actually trying to clean it up a bit. Glad it's still coming out good at the show! 

I've heard him much, much worse.

So yeah, I was pleased with his sound (and even his look) tonight.  He wasn't as big as I was expecting.  And without that damn mustache he still looks like Axl Rose, just older.

My fifth time seeing him since 2002 but there was a quality about him this time that was different.  Maybe I'm just imagining things but I really think he had fun tonight.

• Like 1

Really mixed feelings about tonight.

First part of the show was just pure madness... I know I complained about how the crowd was way too disciplined in Yokohama, but tonight, the front of the pit was just the complete opposite.

While I surely enjoy some intensity, I was spending so much time fighting to breath and stay alive that I couldn't enjoy a single note of the first hour... Seriously, it was the fucking jungle, never seen anything like that in my whole life.

I finally gave up during YCBM, as I was about to punch some guy, and painfully made my way to the back of the pit.

Only then, I started to enjoy the show. Some really cool moments, but is it just me or was the show way shorter than the previous one?

• Like 1

Ha....I felt the opposite!  I was way into the more intense beginning half and then I ran outta steam around OTGM.  (I passed Nalbi as I was making way to the back to take a breather.)

That intense mosh/pogoing was what the entire 2012 Zepp Tokyo show was like...those little fuckers in the front are serious!

6 hours ago, Nalbi said:

You may be onto something.

@amaninjapan, was it the same in Osaka?

Japan is generally pretty strict on 'piracy' in general. It's not as prevalent in Japanese culture (the idea of dubbing/bootlegging/ripping/etc) so a lot of people look down on that sort of thing. As with any show, there is security running around looking for anything professional. There were a lot of people holding their phones up when I was at the front rail... but nobody stood out to me as someone periscoping the entire concert. And I would imagine if someone was, security would have a word with them.

26 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

I saw all the different incarnations of NuGuns and they may as well have been a cover band.

True

26 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Slash is a fucking monster

Truer :P

27 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

I was a few meters away from Slash shredding the shit out of everything, his guitar slung in signature pose, the sweat dripping off his nose ring, his mouth making "wah wah" shapes with every note he played

Yeah, isn't he the best? :heart:

• Like 2

There were an awful lotta people there tonight.  If it wasn't sold out, it was damn near.  I looked back and every seat looked filled.

So somewhere back there, probably not trying to draw attention, there was probably a guy with the equipment to tap into Axl's frequency and make a digital recording of the IEM feed.

In the next few weeks we'll find out!

23 minutes ago, Nalbi said:

Really mixed feelings about tonight.

First part of the show was just pure madness... I know I complained about how the crowd was way too disciplined in Yokohama, but tonight, the front of the pit was just the complete opposite.

While I surely enjoy some intensity, I was spending so much time fighting to breath and stay alive that I couldn't enjoy a single note of the first hour... Seriously, it was the fucking jungle, never seen anything like that in my whole life.

I finally gave up during YCBM, as I was about to punch some guy, and painfully made my way to the back of the pit.

Only then, I started to enjoy the show. Some really cool moments, but is it just me or was the show way shorter than the previous one?

Why were you fighting to breath? Cuz of the crowd?

25 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

November Rain sounded different. Axl actually didn't go full Mickey, he tried deepening his voice.

its funny, at 5:21 you hear him go Mickey and then he corrects it with rasp to finish the line...there was a conscious effort to make it sound better and sounds like they slowed up the tempo finally 

Damn man that was fucking great. Best NR in a LONG time. Axl looked like he was really concentrating on getting that right, he's alternated between chest voice/mixed/head voice almost perfectly there. Hope he keeps doing that.

Yup.

When I finally decided to walk back, I realized that passed the first 10 rows, it was way more enjoyable.

But the top front people was seriously crushed by the hundreds pushing behind.

Maybe some enjoy that, maybe I'm just getting too old. And having to deal with my fucking backpack because all the lockers at the train station were used probably didn't help.

Edited by Nalbi

4 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

Damn man that was fucking great. Best NR in a LONG time. Axl looked like he was really concentrating on getting that right, he's alternated between chest voice/mixed/head voice almost perfectly there. Hope he keeps doing that.

Yea as long as he doesn't give up on it too fast he should be able to perfect it. Not a hard song for him to sing, nice that he's making an effort to change it up. I'll take it. 

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Awesome! Glad it was a great show, it really is a different experience live 

good thing is if Axl sounds great in person he's doing it with very little effort

you can actually tell he's not pushing his voice that hard anymore, he's not going for deep rasp on it, but actually trying to clean it up a bit. Glad it's still coming out good at the show! 

that very first "jungle" sounds like its straight from the 90s the rest is not quite there yet 

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

November Rain sounded different. Axl actually didn't go full Mickey, he tried deepening his voice.

its funny, at 5:21 you hear him go Mickey and then he corrects it with rasp to finish the line...there was a conscious effort to make it sound better and sounds like they slowed up the tempo finally 

i do think franks inability to play drums at a normal tempo and not the speed of sound is part of the reason why axls voice is so mickey ish he never gets to catch his breath 

11 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Yeah it was funny seeing him laughing and smiling during a sad love ballad.  But the crowd went apeshit when they saw his hat.

What did McBob say?

All I heard was "TOKYO!!   (intense cheering muffles everything else) ....N'.....ROSES!!"

He said here are the alternative facts superstars.. guns n roses

• Like 1