[Poll] What's you personal favorite solo record by one of the AFD members?

[Poll] What's you personal favorite solo record by one of the AFD members?  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Duffy,

I had Believe in Me on cassette and chucked it in the bin just recently. It is rancid, completely unlistenable.

His second album, the one he had difficulties with Geffen, is actually rather good. ''Hope'' is a little masterpiece.

Never heard a note of Loaded  I'm ashamed to say.

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Duffy,

I had Believe in Me on cassette and chucked it in the bin just recently. It is rancid, completely unlistenable.

His second album, the one he had difficulties with Geffen, is actually rather good. ''Hope'' is a little masterpiece.

My personal favorites by Loaded is Flatline, Dead Skin and Cocaine (The acoustic version).

You should definitely give The Taking a listen there as some pretty good songs on that one! 

Edited by youngswedishvinyl
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Duffy,

I saw Duff with Loaded live in a summer fest here in Spain back in 2002 and it was awesome, I hadn't listened to any of his stuff before but I wanted to see him because, you know, Guns n roses but it was a nice surprise. And he was super cool to the people too. Can't say the same about most of the audience though, it kinda sucked.

19 minutes ago, Gackt said:

I'm surprised how many votes Juju Hounds got, it's a CD I've had stashed away for years because it didn't impress me much at the time but maybe I'll have to give it another chance

The Jujus album has the virtue of aging so fucking well. I like it more everytime i listen to it. Give it another try, it might surprise you.

My favorites are Ain't Life Grand and Slash's eponymous album (the Deluxe version with the bonus tracks, especially Mother Maria and Sahara which should have made the standard tracklisting in place of Ghost for instance).

Honorable mention for The Taking, which is a surpisingly good album as stated higher by another poster.

Yeah Duff has some good albums. The Taking and Beautiful Disease are also my favourites.

From Slash I like ALG and his work with Myles. I voted WoF.

I haven't listened to much Izzy tbh, and what I've heard hasn't interested me. But I'll check out that first Juju's album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Oh.. I always thought that was a Loaded album. Can you still buy it? I think I've only heard a song or two.

I don't think so unless you are willing to pay a bit; if memory serves there were just a few pressed. I just have a burn. This song, featuring Slash, is probably the best 'Guns N' Roses' song since Guns N' Roses split up,

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't think so unless you are willing to pay a bit; if memory serves there were just a few pressed. I just have a burn. This song, featuring Slash, is probably the best 'Guns N' Roses' song since Guns N' Roses split up,

Thanks man.. I'll check it out later for sure.

4 hours ago, EvH said:

My favorites are Ain't Life Grand and Slash's eponymous album (the Deluxe version with the bonus tracks, especially Mother Maria and Sahara which should have made the standard tracklisting in place of Ghost for instance).

Honorable mention for The Taking, which is a surpisingly good album as stated higher by another poster.

It's funny I've seen many people here claim Ghost was the best work by any AFD member since UYI, and others claim its not even that good a song. Listened to Mother Maria once and just found it kind of boring tbh, no contest with other songs like Starlight from that album. Sahara is very, very good musically but the guys cheesy "Hey Hey Hey" ruins it for me. Probably his best solo on the album too.

29 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's funny I've seen many people here claim Ghost was the best work by any AFD member since UYI, and others claim its not even that good a song. Listened to Mother Maria once and just found it kind of boring tbh, no contest with other songs like Starlight from that album. Sahara is very, very good musically but the guys cheesy "Hey Hey Hey" ruins it for me. Probably his best solo on the album too.

For me Mother Maria is probably the best tune out of the "Slash" sessions. One of the best for sure. Ghost isn't one of my favorites TBH.

On Sahara we share the same opinion. 

Really good instrumentally wise but with a horrible singer. This could be one hell of a GNR tune with Axl on vocals!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Well i used to really like Ghost but nowadays I find it rather bland and I can't go past the bad lyrics. Nice guitar lick, though.

About Mother Maria, I can see where you're coming from when you call it boring in the sense that it is quite a montone track. But to me, there's no contest with Starlight really: Beth Hart is far and above  better vocalist than Myles, and I find it a way better son overall. To each his own, I guess!

I have no problem with Inaba's delivery on Sahara. I can't stand the English version, though.

2 minutes ago, EvH said:

Well i used to really like Ghost but nowadays I find it rather bland and I can't go past the bad lyrics. Nice guitar lick, though.

About Mother Maria, I can see where you're coming from when you call it boring in the sense that it is quite a montone track. But to me, there's no contest with Starlight really: Beth Hart is far and above  better vocalist than Myles, and I find it a way better son overall. To each his own, I guess!

I have no problem with Inaba's delivery on Sahara. I can't stand the English version, though.

You think the lyrics on Ghost are bad? Try listening to the original Demo of it if you dare

On the topic of Mother Maria, it's definitely not a bad song at all. I just find the other slower pieces on the album better personally, Saint Is A Sinner too is really great aswell. But Starlight is still my favourite.

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

You think the lyrics on Ghost are bad? Try listening to the original Demo of it if you dare

On the topic of Mother Maria, it's definitely not a bad song at all. I just find the other slower pieces on the album better personally, Saint Is A Sinner too is really great aswell. But Starlight is still my favourite.

Yeah, the lyrics on the demo are definitely bad too ! 

Saint is Sinner too is one of my favorites. Very atmospheric track.

30 minutes ago, Crash Dieter said:

Can someone provide me with a brief summary of why they think World On Fire is a better album than Apocalyptic Love? Because I cannot figure it out...

The most obvious point for me is WOF has a ton of variety. From the My Michelle style intro on Shadow Life, psychedelic (Stone Blind), dark, atmospheric songs (The Unholy), a badass instrumental (Safari Inn), multiple epics with long, extended solos (again The Unholy, Battleground, Beneath The Savage Sun, Wicked Stone) and personally for me, his best riff ever (but sadly didnt make that great a song out of it, Dirty Girl). He finally used his slide guitar again on this album on a track too.

To add to that, I just like his solos better, it seems he worked them out more, maybe because it wasnt recorded live like AL. Shadow Life and Stone Blind have the best solos on the album IMHO, Avalon even has a country style solo. I find myself only going back to a couple of tracks on AL, that being Anastasia, Standing in the sun, Crazy Life and especially the title track. I am very fond of each and every track on WOF. The uplifting lyrics in Iris of the Storm are very special to me. No song on AL did that for me for that matter.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 4