Silverburst80

2006 Izzy Interview

13 minutes ago, Caraibes said:

Who cares about Izzy when we got Fortus on Rythm and Lead Guitar? He is far more skilled and spectacular onstage. Fortus brings so much more on the table than Izzy!

Izzy had his glory in the 80's... now it's time to move on and let's face it : he CAN'T play like Fortus. Izzy is a low skilled player, he can't even play a Guitar solo!

Fortus has been in the band for 15 years and still will be there in 20 years. Because he is the best. Because Axl, Slash and Duff chose him in a second, without any hesitation.

This is What happens when you are just... well... THE BEST.

End of Story.

Is this sarcasm? I hope this is sarcasm. Nobody can be that deluded, can they? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Caraibes said:

Who cares about Izzy when we got Fortus on Rythm and Lead Guitar? He is far more skilled and spectacular onstage. Fortus brings so much more on the table than Izzy!

Izzy had his glory in the 80's... now it's time to move on and let's face it : he CAN'T play like Fortus. Izzy is a low skilled player, he can't even play a Guitar solo!

Fortus has been in the band for 15 years and still will be there in 20 years. Because he is the best. Because Axl, Slash and Duff chose him in a second, without any hesitation.

This is What happens when you are just... well... THE BEST.

End of Story.

Best comedian of the century!! :lol:

• Like 1

I'm actually concluding he is an enormous Izzy/Appetite fan, and that he is posting the opposite for comic amusement.

6 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Is this sarcasm? I hope this is sarcasm. Nobody can be that deluded, can they? 

Richard Fortus wrote it

15 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Of course he played on the song and he had a solo on WTTJ but the song is written by Slash and Axl and Rocket Queen is written by Axl, Slash and Duff.

All songs are credited to "Guns N' Roses" on AFD and Lies but obviously not every song was written by all 5, for example One In A Million was credited to Guns N' Roses when it's written by Axl only and Patience is also credited to GN'R when Izzy wrote it.

You can look up the real credits from the first two albums on various places on the internet, the FAQ part of this forum being on of them.

Source: 

So you are really saying that Izzy Stradlin didnt help writing Welcome to the Jungle and Rocket Queen?

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

So you are really saying that Izzy Stradlin didnt help writing Welcome to the Jungle and Rocket Queen?

Yes! 

As I said before of course he played on the song, he probably wrote his own solo as well as decided how he should play the rhythm parts but he didn't write the song.

Not to the degree of earning a songwriting credit anyway, just like Slash helped writing November Rain but didn't get a credit.

I'm pretty sure that Welcome To The Jungle and Rocket Queen would be as good as they are now even if Gilby, Fortus or Robin Fink would've been in GN'R instead of Izzy at the time.

1 hour ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Yes! 

As I said before of course he played on the song, he probably wrote his own solo as well as decided how he should play the rhythm parts but he didn't write the song.

Not to the degree of earning a songwriting credit anyway, just like Slash helped writing November Rain but didn't get a credit.

I'm pretty sure that Welcome To The Jungle and Rocket Queen would be as good as they are now even if Gilby, Fortus or Robin Fink would've been in GN'R instead of Izzy at the time.

Really?

So why couldn't nu-guns create a good song?

Of course Izzy isn't responsible for everything produced by GnR, But GnR would have not been the same with out him.

Show me some examples of Individual efforts by the musicians you stated, the internet is full of quality music by Izzy, But Axl & co cant produce squat in 25 years. 

VR should have kept Izzy as the singer, I understand his reasoning behind wanting it as well. In one of the interviews on here Izzy says "Who are you going to get after Axl" when questioned about his decision to sing. He knows there is no replacing that. 14 years is a fine example of what VR could have produced with Izzy as the singer. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

Really?

So why couldn't nu-guns create a good song?

Of course Izzy isn't responsible for everything produced by GnR, But GnR would have not been the same with out him.

Show me some examples of Individual efforts by the musicians you stated, the internet is full of quality music by Izzy, But Axl & co cant produce squat in 25 years. 

VR should have kept Izzy as the singer, I understand his reasoning behind wanting it as well. In one of the interviews on here Izzy says "Who are you going to get after Axl" when questioned about his decision to sing. He knows there is no replacing that. 14 years is a fine example of what VR could have produced with Izzy as the singer. 

I am not saying Izzy wasn't important for GN'R, he was. He wrote many of my favourite GN'R songs and the first JuJu Hounds album is great!

What I however am saying is that WTTJ and RQ would have been great songs without Izzy's input.

And why did you bring up NuGN'R? I was clearly talking about the fact that Axl, Slash and Duff can write good songs together without Izzy in the equation, last time I checked neither Slash or Duff was part of NuGN'R.

33 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I am not saying Izzy wasn't important for GN'R, he was. He wrote many of my favourite GN'R songs and the first JuJu Hounds album is great!

What I however am saying is that WTTJ and RQ would have been great songs without Izzy's input.

And why did you bring up NuGN'R? I was clearly talking about the fact that Axl, Slash and Duff can write good songs together without Izzy in the equation, last time I checked neither Slash or Duff was part of NuGN'R.

You referenced nuguns members in your post as bring capable of helping create original GnR tunes had they been around then. 

Or I misunderstood your post. 

Edited by Good, Fuck'n, Night.

5 minutes ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

You referenced nuguns members in your post as bring capable of helping create original GnR tunes had they been around then. 

Or I misunderstood your post. 

I think you misunderstood what I said, I meant that Izzy's role on WTTJ and RQ was as a guitarist, not a writer and thus those songs would've been as great even if for example Fortus had been the rhythm guitars for GN'R at the time.

According to Slash's bio, WTTJ was the first song they wrote all 5 of them as a whole. Slash played a riff that had showed to Axl once, Steven followed then Duff added the bass and in Slash words "Izzy provided the texture" so yes, all of them took part on the creation of the song.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darkenchantress said:

According to Slash's bio, WTTJ was the first song they wrote all 5 of them as a whole. Slash played a riff that had showed to Axl once, Steven followed then Duff added the bass and in Slash words "Izzy provided the texture" so yes, all of them took part on the creation of the song.

I was as stated earlier using http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/24956-guns-n-roses-songwritting-credits/ as a source, if that's incorrect then I rest my case about that song!

With that being said Slash's biography has quite a bit of factual errors, like that GN'R's first song were in Seattle, mentioning wrong openers on various tours, dates of tour starts and such.

But my hypothetical "Izzyless GN'R album" would still be pretty darn good imo if it only contained: 

On 2016-09-27 at 10:35 AM, youngswedishvinyl said:

Breakdown, Yesterdays, Civil War, November Rain, Estranged, Dead Horse, The Garden, Don't Damn Me, Coma and Rocket Queen

From a 1988 band interview:

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

SLASH :  It's  "Welcome  to the jungle" - the perfect introduction to Guns N' Roses.
AXL :  I consider this song to be the most representative of what we're like.
IZZY :  It's about Hollywood streets; true to life.
SLASH :  That's the first song I had that Axl wrote lyrics to and helped me write.  I had the riff part of it.
AXL :  Yeah, I wrote the words in Seattle.  It's a big city, but at the same time it's still a small city compared to L.A. and the things that you're gonna learn.  It seemed a lot more rural up there.  I just wrote how it looked to me. If someone comes to town and they want to find something, they can find whatever they want.
SLASH :  It came across, I think it was, on the third take.  We did the whole album that way.  Second or third take.  That's where spontaneity comes from. If you don't get it by then, you've lost the feel of it.
STEVEN :  I like the cowbell part.

From what they said there it seems like it was a Slash-Axl song, but, as Duff said, with AFD it's difficult to determine who wrote what, as it was a collaborative effort.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I was as stated earlier using http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/24956-guns-n-roses-songwritting-credits/ as a source, if that's incorrect then I rest my case about that song!

With that being said Slash's biography has quite a bit of factual errors, like that GN'R's first song were in Seattle, mentioning wrong openers on various tours, dates of tour starts and such.

But my hypothetical "Izzyless GN'R album" would still be pretty darn good imo if it only contained: 

Oh, so thats the source of your knowledge about who wrote what in Guns n Roses!

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Give me a fucking break

===

Reading all the books and interviews by the five guys and people around them, and also LISTENING to the songs, its pretty obvious that Izzy took part in writing every song from Appetite, including Welcome to the Jungle and Rocket Queen.

He may have minor contributions on those 2 particular songs, but it seems very likely that Izzy helped writing all the songs on Appetite

Why? Because they flow, because they have terrific dynamics, they go seamlessly from one part to the other, they have terrific crescendos and transitions and groove. Pretty much everything that Slash and Axl and Duff did without Izzy LACK dynamics, flow, groove etc

On songs like these two, Izzy may have helped with "texture" like Slash said, with arrangements, with little suggestions here and there, like a bridge here, a transition part there, a chord sequence, a crescendo etc etc etc...

Id be very surprised if that is not the case.

Slash has said more than once (If I remember correctly Izzy also has said similar stuff on interviews) that he and Izzy didnt really talk much when writing songs. They just figured out their parts until it sounded good

On this 1992 interview below, when Slash was somehow badtalking Izzy, saying they were not a team etc (years later he would acknowledge how Izzy was important to the sound of GNR), Slash clearly says that Izzy played things "his way"  

Slash, how do Gilby and Izzy differ, stylistically?
Even though the band always sounded cool, Izzy and I never sat down together and worked out guitar parts. We weren't really a team, in that sense. We would just jam, and he'd play things his way and I'd play things my way. And even though Gilby is essentially playing Izzy's parts, he adjusts them so there is more of a sense of unity - more of a sense that we are playing together. This isn't to put Izzy down in any way, it's just that Gilby and I have a different relationship.

full = http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=77

So basically even on a Slash song from Use Your Illusion what you PROBABLY have is Izzy writing and playing his own parts, and not been told by Slash what to play and how to play.

(Of course its also likely that Slash erased or re-recorded Izzys parts on UYI, but thats another story...)

Knowing all, I guess its VERY safe to say that there is no such a thing as a Izzy-less Guns n Roses song on Appetite and GNR Lies

Even a song like November Rain, which was basically entirely written by Axl, must have benefited enormously by Izzy (and Slash and Duff) ideas, playing, presence, and even their refusal to do certain things that Axl wanted to do at the time of the recording.

All you have to do to know how Guns n Roses would sound without Izzy (and Slash and Duff) is listen to the Axl Rose solo record

8 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

Oh, so thats the source of your knowledge about who wrote what in Guns n Roses!

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Give me a fucking break

===

Reading all the books and interviews by the five guys and people around them, and also LISTENING to the songs, its pretty obvious that Izzy took part in writing every song from Appetite, including Welcome to the Jungle and Rocket Queen.

He may have minor contributions on those 2 particular songs, but it seems very likely that Izzy helped writing all the songs on Appetite

Why? Because they flow, because they have terrific dynamics, they go seamlessly from one part to the other, they have terrific crescendos and transitions and groove. Pretty much everything that Slash and Axl and Duff did without Izzy LACK dynamics, flow, groove etc

On songs like these two, Izzy may have helped with "texture" like Slash said, with arrangements, with little suggestions here and there, like a bridge here, a transition part there, a chord sequence, a crescendo etc etc etc...

Id be very surprised if that is not the case.

Slash has said more than once (If I remember correctly Izzy also has said similar stuff on interviews) that he and Izzy didnt really talk much when writing songs. They just figured out their parts until it sounded good

On this 1992 interview below, when Slash was somehow badtalking Izzy, saying they were not a team etc (years later he would acknowledge how Izzy was important to the sound of GNR), Slash clearly says that Izzy played things "his way"  

Slash, how do Gilby and Izzy differ, stylistically?
Even though the band always sounded cool, Izzy and I never sat down together and worked out guitar parts. We weren't really a team, in that sense. We would just jam, and he'd play things his way and I'd play things my way. And even though Gilby is essentially playing Izzy's parts, he adjusts them so there is more of a sense of unity - more of a sense that we are playing together. This isn't to put Izzy down in any way, it's just that Gilby and I have a different relationship.

full = http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=77

So basically even on a Slash song from Use Your Illusion what you PROBABLY have is Izzy writing and playing his own parts, and not been told by Slash what to play and how to play.

(Of course its also likely that Slash erased or re-recorded Izzys parts on UYI, but thats another story...)

Knowing all, I guess its VERY safe to say that there is no such a thing as a Izzy-less Guns n Roses song on Appetite and GNR Lies

Even a song like November Rain, which was basically entirely written by Axl, must have benefited enormously by Izzy (and Slash and Duff) ideas, playing, presence, and even their refusal to do certain things that Axl wanted to do at the time of the recording.

All you have to do to know how Guns n Roses would sound without Izzy (and Slash and Duff) is listen to the Axl Rose solo record

We're not even arguing about the same thing since you obviously can't understand what I'm trying to say.

I fucking love Izzy and the songs he has written with GN'R but he wasn't the only creative force in the band. Slash, Axl and Duff can definitely make a great record without him.

And yes, Izzy probably had a minor part of the writing on both RQ and WTTJ but that's because he was as part of the band and not as a song writer.

Both songs would probably be equally as good with Gilby or Fortus in the band instead at the time.

3 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

We're not even arguing about the same thing since you obviously can't understand what I'm trying to say.

I fucking love Izzy and the songs he has written with GN'R but he wasn't the only creative force in the band. Slash, Axl and Duff can definitely make a great record without him.

And yes, Izzy probably had a minor part of the writing on both RQ and WTTJ but that's because he was as part of the band and not as a song writer.

Both songs would probably be equally as good with Gilby or Fortus in the band instead at the time.

oh, thanks for saying that Izzy probably helped writing Jungle and Rocket Queen.

thats likely the case 

if i were you i'd do myself a favor and stop embarrassing myself by spreading misinformation on the internet.

id refrain myself from saying stuff like "izzy didnt help write Jungle and Rocket Queen" because thats probably CRAP misinformation

oh, and just for the record, only a fool would say that Izzy was the only creative force in the band. Guns n Roses is (was) the classic case where the group is greater than the sum of its parts

===

oh, and Jungle and Rocket Queen would be equally as good with Gilby or Fortus?

to say such a thing is laughable at best -- it shows how little you understand about what makes (made) Guns n Roses the best rock band ever

It's seems that Izzy centric fans always want other GNR fans to acknowledge Izzy songwriting skills too compensate his inferiority when he got compared with Axl or Slash.

14 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

id refrain myself from saying stuff like "izzy didnt help write Jungle and Rocket Queen" because thats probably CRAP misinformation

I never said that... I said that he did help but he wasn't one of the song writers.

We both can agree on the fact that Izzy wrote Patience, Slash helped with his solo and laying down chords and such.

Patience would also probably be equally as good if Tracii Guns or any other good lead guitarist would've played lead at the time in my opinion. 

Also my point is that Slash, Duff and Axl can write a good album without Izzy, not that he wasn't an important part of the band. I took RQ and WTTJ as examples since those were credited to other songs writers than Izzy when I looked up AFD song writers. I wasn't trying to discredit Stradlin'. Stop ignoring this fact.

Don't pay much attention to the credits because they don't tell you the complete story. It took five people to make those songs work. Why split hairs on shit like this?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

It's seems that Izzy centric fans always want other GNR fans to acknowledge Izzy songwriting skills too compensate his inferiority when he got compared with Axl or Slash.

Funniest post of this thread.

• Like 1