Thankyou Slash by taking care of CD songs live, you are better than the old one.

Towelie

Actually I agree, his takes in general are pretty mediocre, with TIL being completely hit or miss, with a few exceptions here and there. To be honest his take on the songs are worst than anything the "old one" ever come up with, except for the Patience thing. It's the reason why I'm terrified of a Prostitute performance, those solos are just to good to be treated like that.

7 minutes ago, AlterL said:

Actually I agree, his takes in general are pretty mediocre, with TIL being completely hit or miss, with a few exceptions here and there. To be honest his take on the songs are worst than anything the "old one" ever come up with, except for the Patience thing. It's the reason why I'm terrified of a Prostitute performance, those solos are just to good to be treated like that.

This, I can understand. I don't agree with your opinion, I thought CD was pretty great, but at least your consistent in your opinion.

It's these clowns who think Slash playing some out-of-time blues licks over Bucket's Sorry solo all of a sudden transform the entire song that get me....

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Pitman overdub #623637383 is simply magical.

I prefer his overdub just before that one. Good call though, Diesel, good call.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

IRS would be better than what they play. The songs they actually play are some of the worst from that album. 

I want Axl to bust out Shacklers Revenge and dedicate it to you as I know how you love it so.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

IRS would be better than what they play. The songs they actually play are some of the worst from that album. 

Indeed.

Better has it's moments, and the "new" intro is an improvement but as soon as the "no one ever told me when I was alone" bit kicks in it just kills the vibe and gets clunky as shit.

Stupid thread

People like what they like and sometimes a little change, changes everything. Regardless... Bucketheads solo on Sorry is one of the few great things on CD and still I love Slash's take too.

Slash's TIL solos are far far far better than then any other guitarists try to make this song something worth. Including the original solo by Finck.

Slash owns this one. Period.

Saying this, Fincks solo on Better is untouchable even by Slash.

And Catcher is the crappiest peace of shit ever regardless who is playing the solo.

• Like 2

Most songs on CD suck no matter who is playing them and having Slash and Duff there doesn't change my opinion. It did however make me give some of the songs another listen.. Still don't like most of them. I hope after this tour they chop most of them out of the set list.

• Like 3

I agree what is being said here - no matter who's playing CD songs, they are still bloated and cringe worthy as hell and for me the less they're played, the better.

Nevertheless Slash solo on TIL definitely changed the song for me. Top hat fuckin owns that solo!! And he owns it so much that me, a Chinese hater, will declare that song as one of my favourite cuts on this tour. And yeah CITR is still crap and has nothing to be saved, Slash or no Slash.

• Like 4

Well, he does butcher CD songs, on the other hand, I don't even know why the hell they're playing them anyway. People waited for this reunion for 20 years, they want to listen to the classics, even with Axl sounding like that, why put CD songs on the setlist? I love CD, especially Better, but it doesn't make sense

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Well, he does butcher CD songs, on the other hand, I don't even know why the hell they're playing them anyway. People waited for this reunion for 20 years, they want to listen to the classics, even with Axl sounding like that, why put CD songs on the setlist? I love CD, especially Better, but it doesn't make sense

Not your call to make.

8 hours ago, Towelie said:

This, I can understand. I don't agree with your opinion, I thought CD was pretty great, but at least your consistent in your opinion.

It's these clowns who think Slash playing some out-of-time blues licks over Bucket's Sorry solo all of a sudden transform the entire song that get me....

I don't hate it, I just don't think of it as anything great to be honest. I've enjoyed some takes of TIL, which is why I call it a hit or miss. It can be good or it can be garbage, depending on the night Better on the other hand is over all a worst song now (used to be one of my favorites live) the new intro, the generally awful solo (seriusly it sounds like Slash is trying to go into Bumble territory but he can't shred like that, he is coming up short and he just can´t do it justice live) TWAT and Sorry just sound weak, how did we went from CD best solo and a piece that would have worked equally as great in a GN'R song or in a Pink Floyd one, I will never know. To think I belived this one could actually be improved by him...

Catcher I can tollerate, but is not better than what we had in the album, sad part is that I actually think we could have had something better if he just tried to write something instead of trying something different each night. I will give you that at least the energy in CD hasn't changed, maybe is the faster tempo or something else entirely but althoug the new solo is nothing to write home about the song itself is for me, when considering the overall performance.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not too big on any of Slash's CD stuff. Just doesn't feel right. But I give him much respect for playing them. I never ever thought CD songs would be played during a reunion. I don't know how it came to be, but to me, for Slash and Duff to go with it and include them says a lot about how much they wanted to make this work.

• 6 months later...
On September 24, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Towelie said:

It strikes me that this new trend of fans "discovering" how great the CD songs are now that Slash has layed down a few sloppy, half-arsed licks on them, just goes to prove they never actually listened to the music properly in the first place and just decided they hated it because Slash wasn't there. Now Slash has graced these songs with his magic fingers all of a sudden they are a completely different song!

:facepalm:

Not only that, Slash actually plays most of the CD parts pretty bad. He completely rapes Catcher and TWAT and his take on the TIL solo is bordering on passive aggressive, almost as if he's saying "okay Axl, I'll play the songs you've spent 2 decades masquerading as GNR, but I'm not going to show one ounce of reverence for the original versions."

i respectfully disagree.  CD sucked originally with axl's employees playing their parts and they suck now with slash selling himself out playing the parts his way.  either way CD is a joke made by a lost and enabled ego maniac, slash will never be able to save those songs… and THAT is why the real fans don't give a shit and go to the bathroom and get beers when axl FORCES us to listen to his solo material during shows.