Pets!

pinkforgirls

Oh yeah I'm turning into the old lady with a bunch of cats.  I'm disguised as a shelter volunteer but I'm getting to know my group and I think they are getting to know me.  Several of them who were cautious about leaving their cage now crawl into my arms.

I'm focusing on Tripod, a recent amputee, front leg.  He pushed his towel away from the metal floor in his cage because he kept slipping and face planting.  Took that out and got him a no slip rug.  He's a happy camper now.  Put one of those rugs down in the playroom and all the cats love it over the plain floor.  He's up on his paws, figuring it out and gaining strength.  That extra attention is bringing him out of the kitty who just hid in the back of his cage.

And it's my fault.  Does Not Like To Be Held is on the groomer's list.  Of course she doesn't like to be held.  She's so matted on her one side it has to hurt to move.  I hung around hoping to catch the groomer and ran into the groomer supervisor.  She'll have to be sedated and shaved.  Going to have a naked kitty.  She does like my GNR flannel shirt.  She's okay if it's just us but she freaks out at all the activity when we're moving from place to place.  The long sleeves save my skin and she can hide her face underneath it.  Might rename her Gunner Girl.

• Like 1

I forgot Blaine.  He's a Siamese/Maine Coon.  He's the size of a dog and a little bit terrifying.  You get the impression he was someone's pampered pet.  He's trying to maintain his dignity and is a little pissed off he's come to this.  Plus he's not use to this cat food so he's got gas. :lol:  He knows his name but he chooses when he's going to answer to it.  He'll come with me to the playroom only because he thinks it's doing me a favor.  He gets his feelings hurt that he has to be carried and can't just walk on his own.  The king cat reduced to a pauper. 

• Like 1

Left the door open so the cats could come in and out.  Look over and Lily is eating a bunny in the middle of the living room floor!  I came over with the bag to collect the bunny and she growled at me.  Okay little cat, hang on to that, I'm throwing you, with it, out the door. :lol:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

They keep telling me at the shelter I'm okay, "you're okay".  They are referring to my ability to work with the cats and them.  I still feel like an outsider but I guess they've adopted me. :lol:  Yesterday they were short staffed and just had me start showing the cats.  Wait, that's reserved for the techs.  And I learned how to run the washer and we talked about improving the cat pictures.  Yeah, I've been adopted.

6 minutes ago, cineater said:

Aw, I had to put my 20 year old cat down.  I came home and he was lying on the kitchen floor unable to get up.  He might have fallen off the counter and broke his hip.  He has been fragile for a while now.  Will miss him.

Sorry to hear that. It's horrible when we have to say goodbye to our pets but sometimes euthanasia is the kindest way. I think helping at the shelter is a great thing to do.

58 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Sorry to hear that. It's horrible when we have to say goodbye to our pets but sometimes euthanasia is the kindest way. I think helping at the shelter is a great thing to do.

Thanks.  My daughter was off work so she got to come and say goodbye.  There was no way to help him but let him go to sleep.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The shelter was short handed today so I worked the laundry and dishes.  We had an escape, not my fault, thank god.  You know it was a cat.  He took that 6 foot fence, right through the barbwire and into the woods.  He was out of there.  And then they brought in a pig.  Better behaved than most children.  Do you know they have eyebrows that have 4 inch whiskers?  Asked if they had to chase her down.  No, she came right to them and got in the truck. 

It's weird to come home to only two cats.  I spent most my day dragging laundry into the cat isolation room.  Sat with them, talked and folded laundry.  I'm sure the staff think I'm a little nuts.  The cats enjoyed the company and the work.  I let them grab and hold the wash clothes, paws sticking out of cages with wash clothes hanging off them. :lol:  We had a great time.

Given the choice I might come back as a bird.  I would love to fly but then again I really like roaming around the woods.  I'd probably chose cat.

Edited by cineater

On ‎27‎.‎09‎.‎2018 at 1:33 AM, cineater said:

It's weird to come home to only two cats.  I spent most my day dragging laundry into the cat isolation room.  Sat with them, talked and folded laundry.  I'm sure the staff think I'm a little nuts.  The cats enjoyed the company and the work.  I let them grab and hold the wash clothes, paws sticking out of cages with wash clothes hanging off them. :lol:  We had a great time.

Given the choice I might come back as a bird. 

Because you want to keep feeding the cats?

• Haha 2