fanfzero

What's up with the tracker? (Looking for a succesor for it)

fanfzero    288

What's happening with the chinesedemocracy tracker? Since about 2 or 3 days I see a 404 error. Any news on on this?

EDIT: Sean (chinesedemocracy.com tracker owner) has said that due to troubles moving the tracker to a modern server and the elevated cost of mantaining it...well...we can say that the tracker is dead, so we are creating an alternative. Suggestions accepted. 

EDIT 2: New forum opened, hope this one lasts longer than the one I created  http://z13.invisionfree.com/GUNS_N_ROSES_BOOTS/index.php?

Edited by fanfzero

Gibbo    2,584

Yeah dont know mate. I have some good shit coming. I got the Philly master and 23th 24th New Jersey show from Markit they aren't complete but 24th shows only missing a few songs

Edited by Gibbo

zombux    95

the last message in the shoutbox was Sean announcing some downtime due to migration to another server. since then, it's down. I'm not completely sure what's happening, but it seems to me, something went a bit wrong and they're working hard on fixing it. have some patience guys :)

• Like 1

fanfzero    288
1 minute ago, zombux said:

the last message in the shoutbox was Sean announcing some downtime due to migration to another server. since then, it's down. I'm not completely sure what's happening, but it seems to me, something went a bit wrong and they're working hard on fixing it. have some patience guys :)

Thanks, didn't read that message, hope this time it goes easier than when the torrents stopped working

Edited by fanfzero

zombux    95

yup, I can see they're definitely doing something on that at the moment, because the error message I get, gets changing a bit continously. so hopefully it will be back soon! :)

While we're on the subject of the tracker.

Is there anyway to get back if you once got banned for downloading to much without uploading?
I downloaded a bunch of torrent files to download later on but many of them had no seeders so my download amount got waaaay to high with no way for me to increase upload...

zombux    95

generally, you don't get banned for low ratio at torrent trackers. you just aren't allowed to download anymore, until you fix your ratio. 

the trouble at such small tracker is, you might never get a chance to boost your ratio, because there are no leechers, only seeders.

in such cases, the easiest way might be asking administrators for some upload bonus for you, so you can do at least something ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zombux said:

generally, you don't get banned for low ratio at torrent trackers. you just aren't allowed to download anymore, until you fix your ratio. 

the trouble at such small tracker is, you might never get a chance to boost your ratio, because there are no leechers, only seeders.

in such cases, the easiest way might be asking administrators for some upload bonus for you, so you can do at least something ;)

Thanks I'll try that!

felixGNR    10
On 9/27/2016 at 7:58 AM, Gibbo said:

Yeah dont know mate. I have some good shit coming. I got the Philly master and 23th 24th New Jersey show from Markit they aren't complete but 24th shows only missing a few songs

do you know what kind of camera he is using?

Gibbo    2,584
3 minutes ago, felixGNR said:

do you know what kind of camera he is using?

Panasonic TM900 

• Like 1

77Jesters    51

Is there any official word from Sean?  or is it still just being re-hosted elsewhere afaik?  Seems odd that after staying active all through the quiet patches, it would dissolve now that the Triunion has happened... 

zombux    95

well, long story short - troubles with migration to a new server, the old tracker won't run on current technologies, would cost quite a lot of money to be migrated by a software guy (developer of the tracker software).

besides that, more money to get the server up each month - almost no donations so he paid everything from his own pocket.

and besides that, other issues consuming his time and money.

so... it seems the tracker is gone, at least for now. I don't have much ideas what to do now. maybe try some fundraiser? anybody with some experience with this? sending money once is useless (I think), some stable future funding would be better, maybe.

WAR41    117
3 hours ago, zombux said:

well, long story short - troubles with migration to a new server, the old tracker won't run on current technologies, would cost quite a lot of money to be migrated by a software guy (developer of the tracker software).

besides that, more money to get the server up each month - almost no donations so he paid everything from his own pocket.

and besides that, other issues consuming his time and money.

so... it seems the tracker is gone, at least for now. I don't have much ideas what to do now. maybe try some fundraiser? anybody with some experience with this? sending money once is useless (I think), some stable future funding would be better, maybe.

I don't use the tracker, but maybe suggest a Patreon campaign for him? 

joaognr1    0

well i must say, i use the tracker way before they came with the name of chinesedemocracy.com and all my DVDs i take it from there, made a good collection around 150 and i became uploader there, so if they are gone i gonna miss him, this is a bad time to shotdown with all this news shows around but....

i wish all the best to the guys u spend Money and time on it thro the years.....THANK YOU ALL.

AlleyJazz    1

yep, it would be really bad if it was gone.... 

What is needed for a tracker? I mean, it's basically a DB with not much else... I guess the biggest cost-factor would be the traffic? Oh, and I guess a root server is needed if you don't want a box running 24/7 at home.

Which reminds me of the old DC++ hub.

Anyone interested in something like that? not as good as a torrent, but still a possibility. I had a small hub running for a while, so it's not a big deal to set it up

zombux    95

the costs for a decent server are (according to Sean) around 50€/month. costs for migrating the old tracker to the new server would be around 130€.

AlleyJazz    1

alright, well, in the meantime, I decided to just fire it up again.

Everyone is invited to join, all you need is a DC++ client. If you're not familiar with it, you'll figure out how the settings work on the go. While it may be a bit different from torrents, it's not any more complicated. I can also give you pointers thru the chat.

The address is 84.74.88.55:411 84.74.88.55:1411 84.74.88.85:1411

Edited by AlleyJazz
updated hub-address