Blade Runner 2049

Powerage5

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I love the original. A masterpiece. Choked by Darryl Hannah's thighs - I can think of worse ways to go.

I had to study that piece of shit for film studies, LITERALLY the most boring film in the world!  That and Star Wars too, imagine keen little Len, running into film studies thinking WOW, school where you watch films...and they kick off with two of the biggest fuckin' turds in cinema history.  I quite literally fell asleep watching Blade Runner.  Fair dues I'd had a spliff but I'd always had a spliff before class and I never felt asleep before.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I had to study that piece of shit for film studies, LITERALLY the most boring film in the world!  That and Star Wars too, imagine keen little Len, running into film studies thinking WOW, school where you watch films...and they kick off with two of the biggest fuckin' turds in cinema history.  I quite literally fell asleep watching Blade Runner.  Fair dues I'd had a spliff but I'd always had a spliff before class and I never felt asleep before.

It is a masterpiece - fair enough about Star Wars being cack. It is metaphysical. Like most of Philip K. Dick's stuff it is about being, existence and unreliable narratives. It is a dark ambiguous film - I love ambiguous films. Ridley Scott didn't make a decent film again. In fact neither did Harrison Ford come to think about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Saw it yesterday and absolutely loved it. As a movie in terms of plot and narrative it's better than the original. Give it a chance in the movie theatre because the visuals are also absolutely stunning.

Was contemplating seeing this tonight...thought I'd see what people in this thread have to say because I've been on the fence about it, but if you're recommending, maybe I'll give it a chance.  I wasn't crazy about the original, though I did appreciate it.  The last film to really impress me was Mad Max: Fury Road.

6 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Was contemplating seeing this tonight...thought I'd see what people in this thread have to say because I've been on the fence about it, but if you're recommending, maybe I'll give it a chance.  I wasn't crazy about the original, though I did appreciate it.  The last film to really impress me was Mad Max: Fury Road.

I absolutely loved Fury Road. This is a lot slower in pace but equally stunning visually. 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I absolutely loved Fury Road. This is a lot slower in pace but equally stunning visually. 

That's what I needed to know, so thanks.  Tickets booked.  Slow pace not a problem for me.  Naturally, I'm hoping for a decent plot too (was disappointed by Ghost in the Shell in that regard) but I am a sucker for jaw-dropping visuals.  

Saw it again last Tuesday on a decently big screen (poor man's IMAX thing called "VMAX"), sat on the front row. Beautiful.

Robin Wright's scenes grate more on repeat viewings; she's a good actress but unfortunately her dialogue is 90% exposition, and most of that exposition is to point out the bloody obvious to the mouthbreathers in the audience. Phrases like "you bought yourself a war" and "the wall separates kind" sound like they belong in the noir films from which the series (more so the original) drew inspiration, but are out of place with the rest of the dialogue in the film. Her last scene with K and her scene with Luv were good, though.

Sylvia Hoeks as Luv was definitely the highlight of the film. Sea Wall scene is my favourite scene of the year.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:23 AM, Len Cnut said:

I'd say you got lucky, if your film studies let you view Blade Runner.

I was force fed Battleship Potenka and The 400 Blows. You can't tell me that's a more exciting class.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is a masterpiece, Battleship Potemkin

Prefered studying it to Blade Runner.  I guess it was curious to someone of my social...thingie.  Whereas Blade Runner just looked like the sci-fi fare of the day Potemkin was a curious proposition.  Same with stuff like Birth of a Nation. 

26 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Prefered studying it to Blade Runner.  I guess it was curious to someone of my social...thingie.  Whereas Blade Runner just looked like the sci-fi fare of the day Potemkin was a curious proposition.  Same with stuff like Birth of a Nation. 

I think I would prefer Potemkin also becomes of the demonstrative usage of propaganda through accumulative editing and montage, and the fact it is such a benchmark film for everybody that followed, German expressionists, Hitchcock. Blade Runner however is an extremely good film and far and above your regular sci-fi fare, your Star Wars silliness. It is very metaphysical but then so is the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? The whole point of Philip K Dick is he moved beyond the pulp 'space boy' stuff seen in most sci fi stuff and moved into existentialism. He also offers forth critiques of authoritarian government. 

As I said earlier, deconstructing reality is a typical trope of his, people living in a false existence and/or under a false identity.

And the film offers forth set designs, lighting and camera work. It should be studied by anyone interested in the actual technique of filmmaking. Ridley Scott was a great director in those days. From Shields you know, mouth of the Tyne? Still has a hint of a Geordie accent. Apparently the north east's industrialism inspired elements of the landscape on Blade Runner, the furnaces in the opening shot.

Produces absolute shit now. How we got from Blade Runner to GI Jane we'll never know.

PS

More superficially it has Ford going around shooting 'skin jobs' with a big bloody gun.

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 10/23/2017 at 4:43 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Fuck still haven't been able to see this yet =/

Better hurry up, it looks like it’s last day in any theaters near me is Thursday. 

I’ve seen it three times now. I’m still erect from when I saw it in IMAX in Thursday, totally blew me away. 

On 23/10/2017 at 9:43 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Fuck still haven't been able to see this yet =/

Saw it at the weekend, based on some @Dazey encouragement. :)  I liked it.  Didn't love it.  Sumptuous visuals.  Reminded me of Fury Road and Macbeth (Fassbender).  Each and every frame you could hang on your wall.

Gosling is amazing.  There is a very powerful scene (for me the one truly powerful scene) where his acting is just...well...there are no words to describe but it alone is worth the ticket price.  The last scene to affect me like that was Marion Cotillard in Macbeth a few years ago.   

Plot was ok, a few creaks and cracks that people here have mentioned.  And it's a tad long.  I think I agree with Oldest Goat that the film hasn't anything new to say, just rehashes what previous film already dealt with.  Actually, Matrix dealt with the 'are we the sum of our memories' thing much better.

9 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yes, I'm sure you've done much more than 400 blows. Zzzzing!

P.S. yes @MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle The Matrix is brilliant. Very slick but also very deep(boy, the sequels sure do suck though). I saw it when I was a child and it blew my mind. "Omg everything DOES taste like chicken!" :lol:

I was in my early 20s when I saw The Matrix and it still blew my mind.  It blew everyone's mind.  It was the first time I, and many of my friends at the time, went back to the cinema just to see the same movie again - repeat viewings weren't as common then as now for some reason.  

I think it was just that nobody had ever really contemplated the possibilities that The Matrix explored (not just the chicken - lol)  Today, such concepts are old hat, right?  And yes, the sequels were terrible. :facepalm:  Actually, I recall we were all freaked out about the deja vu thing - you know the glitch in the matrix?  I still think about that sometimes. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Seen it today finally. Today was the last showing at my local.

Thought it was great, my type of film and the kind of film I've always loved.

One criticism though and it may have just been the sound mixing in my cinema. Certain sections of the film with that sound playing over the dialogue made it hard to hear what people where saying in key scenes. I've honestly never had this problem before, the sound effect/music is just too loud and overdone. Hope it was just the cinema.

Edited by AtariLegend