Nintendo Switch

Gnrfan2001

3 minutes ago, action said:

where do the PS5 and xbox fit in this?

you're defending a strong case for mobile phones there, but that doesn't speak in favour of bulky consoles like the PS5 and xbox. You're describing a future where these two already seem obsolete.

I agree.  I think the PS5 and XSX will likely be the last of the physical consoles.  It's why Microsoft is pushing services like GamePass and xCloud.

I don't doubt that in ten years Sony or Nintendo might still try to sell a physical box, but much like how consumer habits with television changed over the last ten years, so too will gamers.  

If you were given the option to play all the games you wanted for $10-$15 a month that didn't require buying a machine that could break, games that you could play with you on your mobile phone or at home akin to how Netflix works, wouldn't that make way more sense?  I get that you're a little different in how you like to own physical stuff, but I think the vast majority of gamers would move to the new subscription model where they are not required to upgrade their machines every few years at great expense.  

3 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

Good luck streaming Breath of the wild...one of the best games to release in the past ten years on anything but Nintendo hardware

Why not?  

How is this not technically feasible?

12 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

I'm most excited to see what Nintendos "next gen" plans are. Typically when they make moves, the industry listens. They have shown countless times before, a powerful console isn't what sells the most.

They have really only shown this once, with the Wii, since SNES. 

The Switch has done great numbers, but it hasn't influenced the industry and the PS4 still crushed it in sales.  Once people can play AAA games on their smartphones, the value proposition of a Switch goes away.  So they'll be left again dependent on their IP.  Credit due to Nintendo managing their IP way better with the Switch than with any other console since the N64 or SNES.  So maybe they can do that again.  We'll see.. 

1 minute ago, downzy said:

I agree.  I think the PS5 and XSX will likely be the last of the physical consoles.  It's why Microsoft is pushing services like GamePass and xCloud.

I don't doubt that in ten years Sony or Nintendo might still try to sell a physical box, but much like how consumer habits with television changed over the last ten years, so too will gamers.  

If you were given the option to play all the games you wanted for $10-$15 a month that didn't require buying a machine that could break, games that you could play with you on your mobile phone or at home akin to how Netflix works, wouldn't that make way more sense?  I get that you're a little different in how you like to own physical stuff, but I think the vast majority of gamers would move to the new subscription model where they are not required to upgrade their machines every few years at great expense.  

I always said I like owning physical stuff like CDs, DVD/BluRays, and games. In theory I still do, but I move around every few years, things get lost, and I am not organized with physical media collections. I guess I like the idea more than my own execution, and that is on me. I think the streaming thing with media is fine, as long as everything is always available. It would be a shame if some games, movies, shows, books, etc are lost to time simply because they aren't stream-able. That is probably an issue for the very, very far future though. 

I was pissed when the Xbox One was announced as a mainly digital console, I couldn't believe it and thought that was the death blow for Microsoft. They changed their tune with all the out cry back then, but here we are 7 years later and that doesn't sound all that crazy in the future. Now that you can have disc-less versions of these new consoles, it is all but certain the next- next gen will be all digital, whatever they end up being. 

I think VR is something to really keep an eye on depending how it is utilized during this next gen. I think a lot of the future of quality game innovation lies in that medium. I play it on my friend's high end PC and it is incredible what can already be achieved. Once that is made cheaper, tighter, and more accessible I am sure it will be a lot more common. Sony will definitely latch on again, and I would not be surprised if Microsoft follows. Maybe Nintendo will react to that in the future. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I was pissed when the Xbox One was announced as a mainly digital console, I couldn't believe it and thought that was the death blow for Microsoft. They changed their tune with all the out cry back then, but here we are 7 years later and that doesn't sound all that crazy in the future. Now that you can have disc-less versions of these new consoles, it is all but certain the next- next gen will be all digital, whatever they end up being. 

Microsoft made this jump too early.  The industry wasn't ready yet.  

Video game retailing is going the way of record or DVD stores.  Gamestop will likely be bankrupt in the next year or two.  It's inevitable gaming will be all digital at some point, likely not too far in the future.

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I think VR is something to really keep an eye on depending how it is utilized during this next gen. I think a lot of the future of quality game innovation lies in that medium. I play it on my friend's high end PC and it is incredible what can already be achieved. Once that is made cheaper, tighter, and more accessible I am sure it will be a lot more common. Sony will definitely latch on again, and I would not be surprised if Microsoft follows. Maybe Nintendo will react to that in the future. 

Yeah, this was the only area that I could come up with in terms of where Nintendo could go next.  But there are so many huge players already in this space I'm not sure what they really bring to the table other than their IP.  Which again, at the risk of beating a dead horse, if all Nintendo is bring is their IP, what's the need for them to be a hardware manufacturer?  I was looking at the new Quest 2.  It looks like a good deal considering what you're getting.  The tech is likely another iteration or two before it becomes feasible in the sense you're talking about.  But I think we're close.  

19 minutes ago, downzy said:

that sounds great on paper, but the problem is, and always will be: licensing.

goldeneye, perhaps my favorite game ever, is only legally playable on a console that is out of print for 20 years.

licensed games like batman, turtles in time, ghostbusters, licenses that go from one company to another, it will be difficult if not impossible for these games to maintain constant availability. these licenses need to be renewed and this eventually ends.

robocop 3 on the snes, I could play that every day, easily in my top 10 favorite games ever, there is not a chance in hell this will feature on google stadia.

It's not that I'm paranoid or something, it's just reality. 

I accept that my preferences are pretty niche, but it's still something to take into account

Just now, action said:

goldeneye, perhaps my favorite game ever, is only legally playable on a console that is out of print for 20 years.

licensed games like batman, turtles in time, ghostbusters, licenses that go from one company to another, it will be difficult if not impossible for these games to maintain constant availability. these licenses need to be renewed and this eventually ends.

robocop 3 on the snes, I could play that every day, easily in my top 10 favorite games ever, there is not a chance in hell this will feature on google stadia.

I accept that my preferences are pretty niche, but it's still something to take into account

Fair enough.  To each their own.   At least you're prepared for what's coming.

Most people I think like the idea of playing old games but rarely actually do.  I bought a SNES classic and haven't touched it since the day I took it out of the box and played a couple of games.  The nostalgia wore off pretty quickly.  

The industry would die quite quickly if it catered to people who's main priority was games from 20 - 30 years ago.  Unfortunate in some ways, but unavoidable.  

It will be interesting to see where the industry goes in the next five to ten years.  Battle Royal games are all the rage right now but I wonder if like movement-based games or stuff like Guitar Hero we see people move on to different things.  

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

Most people I think like the idea of playing old games but rarely actually do.  I bought a SNES classic and haven't touched it since the day I took it out of the box and played a couple of games.  The nostalgia wore off pretty quickly.  

The industry would die quite quickly if it catered to people who's main priority was games from 20 - 30 years ago.  Unfortunate in some ways, but unavoidable.  

It will be interesting to see where the industry goes in the next five to ten years.  Battle Royal games are all the rage right now but I wonder if like movement-based games or stuff like Guitar Hero we see people move on to different things.  

compare the video game industry to the music industry. artists like elvis still make millions every year. when was the last time he released new music? 1977. the beatles, the stones: music not from 20-30 years ago, but in some cases from 60 years ago. still selling well.

why can a distribution model that already exists for old music, not be implemented for video games?

I envision a future where we're evolving to universal consoles that play everything. Like how every cd player plays every CD, from different bands. you step into a store and buy games like you buy a cd, there's discounts, boxsets of games etc. I'm not sure what information carrier these will feature on, but it could as well be codes like you have nintendo and xbox store codes. physical product for the collector.

Come to think of it, this separation of hardware between sony - xbox - nintendo is hurting everyone involved: the companies as well as the consumer.

maybe, the universal console will be the powerful phone you speak of.

Frankly, I think this "three big companies" stuff is BS. it is unnecessary and contra-productive.

28 minutes ago, downzy said:

Sweet. How did you manage that?  

Bit like this. Rock solid 60 FPS with increased resolution. Suck it Switch! :lol: 

But joking aside, the Switch is nowhere near the PS4 and XBox One in terms of processing power so the games can be pretty easily emulated on a half decent PC.

Edited by Dazey

24 minutes ago, downzy said:

Microsoft made this jump too early.  The industry wasn't ready yet.  

Video game retailing is going the way of record or DVD stores.  Gamestop will likely be bankrupt in the next year or two.  It's inevitable gaming will be all digital at some point, likely not too far in the future.

Yeah, this was the only area that I could come up with in terms of where Nintendo could go next.  But there are so many huge players already in this space I'm not sure what they really bring to the table other than their IP.  Which again, at the risk of beating a dead horse, if all Nintendo is bring is their IP, what's the need for them to be a hardware manufacturer?  I was looking at the new Quest 2.  It looks like a good deal considering what you're getting.  The tech is likely another iteration or two before it becomes feasible in the sense you're talking about.  But I think we're close.  

I think VR already popped its bubble, and its introduction to the main stream in homes at a reasonable cost and improved experience is inevitable. I am excited for it. The tech has come a long way in only 5 or so years since the Occulus, PlayStation, etc sets came out. It will only improve and get cheaper. It may take another 5+ years, but its going to be huge I think. Valve just proved you can have a full AAA experience in VR with their new Half Life game, and I would bet that they are tweaking that for a Half Life 3 that really takes VR to a new level.

9 minutes ago, downzy said:

I agree with this. I do play old games, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. I am playing Galaxy now because I never played it before, but besides old Halo campaigns, I don't play old games much. I got Banjo 1 and 2 for Xbox and didn't really play them much. I haven't replayed Fable, Red Dead, the GTAs, Morrowind and Oblivion, the Fallouts, Mass Effects, etc. I might replay some old games I love down the line, but it isn't a regular occurrence that I do all the time. I still think they should all be accessible and exist in some form in the future, though. I usually play 1-2 new games a year and that's it, time to move on to the next one. 

2 minutes ago, action said:

I envision a future where we're evolving to universal consoles that play everything. 

Come to think of it, this separation of hardware between sony - xbox - nintendo is hurting everyone involved: the companies as well as the consumer.

maybe, the universal console will be the powerful phone you speak of.

Frankly, I think this "three big companies" stuff is BS. it is unnecessary and contra-productive.

Maybe we will get something like that with different VR headsets and accessories to choose from, and maybe certain games can only run on that headset. Nintendo can launch a Wii-2 with a headset and VR enabled Wii controllers! 

I think we will definitely get some sort of consoles in the future, there is still too much money and they are still too common. 

16 minutes ago, action said:

compare the video game industry to the music industry. artists like elvis still make millions every year. when was the last time he released new music? 1977. the beatles, the stones: music not from 20-30 years ago, but in some cases from 60 years ago. still selling well.

why can a distribution model that already exists for old music, not be implemented for video games?

Because your analogy falls apart when you're comparing The Beatles to old 8-bit gaming.  

In most people's eyes gaming has become significantly better than what it was before.  Music on the other hand, well...  That's up for debate, but there's a reason why people would walk all over each other to attend a Led Zeppelin concert but the lineup to play an old NES game might not be as long.

19 minutes ago, action said:

Agreed if Nintendo was capable of playing GTA or RDR without much in the way of compromise.  But the Switch can't.  So other than to only play Nintendo games and for the mobile functionality, there's not much reason for someone like myself to buy one.

I do think Sony and Microsoft are on very different paths.  With the recent purchase of Bethesda and the investments made in AAA studios, I'm still cautiously optimistic that Microsoft can turn it around with respect to AAA games.  But the core of their strategy is to become more of a service provider than a hardware manufacturer or game publisher.  Akin to what we see now with Prime, Netflix, and HBO, we'll have something similar with respect to gaming.  But the commitment won't be nearly as steep as what we see now.  As I said, I'd love to play BotW.  But I'm not dropping $400+ to buy a new Switch to do so.   If Nintendo gave me the option of paying $10-$15 a month to play the newest Zelda or other games then i would be on board in a heartbeat.  That's where Microsoft is going with GamePass.  Sony is being a bit more like Nintendo in that it believes it can remain dominant by leveraging its IP to get consumers to spend a lot more on their products.  At some point the value proposition will change though.  

24 minutes ago, action said:

I don't have a problem with their being competition; in fact it's a good thing that one company isn't running everything.  There needs to be at least two or three companies fighting against each other for everyone's gaming dollar.  I don't expect this to ever change, especially with more and more players (Amazon, Google, Apple) getting into the industry.  But the battle will be over distribution and services, not over hardware.  My criticism of Nintendo is likely a tad premature since the Switch does currently fill a need that current mobile tech can't fill.  But that will change.  And unless Nintendo can demonstrate some novel tech feature that can't be easily mirrored by other companies, there really is no reason for it to be in the hardware game other than to wall off consumers from its IP.  If you're fine with that then cool.  But I think it's a shame for me personally.  

33 minutes ago, action said:

I've currently got pretty much every game ever released for every system up to and including PS2, Gamecube and Arcade (no OG XBox). That's over 600 SNES games, 600 GC games, 2500+ PS2 games and anything else you can think of and not a single one is on physical media. I can pick up and play any of them at any time without having to worry about licencing. I've got a full Atari VCS set which is over 40 years old at this point and still easy to download so I wouldn't worry too much about clinging onto physical media.

• Wow 1

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I've currently got pretty much every game ever released for every system up to and including PS2, Gamecube and Arcade (no OG XBox). That's over 600 SNES games, 600 GC games, 2500+ PS2 games and anything else you can think of and not a single one is on physical media. I can pick up and play any of them at any time without having to worry about licencing. I've got a full Atari VCS set which is over 40 years old at this point and still easy to download so I wouldn't worry too much about clinging onto physical media.

everytime I download and play an N64 emulator it bricks my laptop.

snes emulators freezing up etc.

cheap USB controllers dying for no reason.

At some point I tried all that, then said fuck it.

besides, i'm one who not only wants to look, but also wants to feel, touch and smell. that goes for everything in my  life :P

Edited by action

26 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I think VR already popped its bubble, and its introduction to the main stream in homes at a reasonable cost and improved experience is inevitable. I am excited for it. The tech has come a long way in only 5 or so years since the Occulus, PlayStation, etc sets came out. It will only improve and get cheaper. It may take another 5+ years, but its going to be huge I think. Valve just proved you can have a full AAA experience in VR with their new Half Life game, and I would bet that they are tweaking that for a Half Life 3 that really takes VR to a new level.

Have you tried VR porn yet?  It's crazy.  My friend said it best: it's the closest you can get to cheating on your wife without actually cheating.

I was initially excited about the new Oculus Quest system until I found out it doesn't have the horsepower to play the new Half Life game.  I guess asking a $299 machine to play something like Half Life is a bit much, but once we get to that point I can see a dramatic shift in how people play games.  

26 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I agree with this. I do play old games, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. I am playing Galaxy now because I never played it before, but besides old Halo campaigns, I don't play old games much. I got Banjo 1 and 2 for Xbox and didn't really play them much. I haven't replayed Fable, Red Dead, the GTAs, Morrowind and Oblivion, the Fallouts, Mass Effects, etc. I might replay some old games I love down the line, but it isn't a regular occurrence that I do all the time. I still think they should all be accessible and exist in some form in the future, though. I usually play 1-2 new games a year and that's it, time to move on to the next one. 

Yeah, I'm the same way.  Looking back on it I found it kind of ludicrous (for consumers at least) that Nintendo sold the NES and SNES mini consoles that were limited to 20-30 games.  They should have sold mini systems that connected a subscription service whereby for $4-$5 a month you had access to their entire NES or SNES catalogues.  Who wouldn't sign up for that (other @Dazey)?  The monthly fee would have been small enough that everyone who played those games back in the day would have signed up and also small enough that most people would keep paying it.  Instead of making $80-$90 per machine they could have made $40-$50 on the machine and made $40-$50 a year.  This could have been their gateway into the streaming space as the box could eventually be used to stream new releases directly.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

Have you tried VR porn yet?  It's crazy.  My friend said it best: it's the closest you can get to cheating on your wife without actually cheating.

imagine accidently clicking on the gay section though

Edited by action

2 minutes ago, action said:

everytime I download and play an N64 emulator it bricks my laptop.

snes emulators freezing up etc.

cheap USB controllers dying for no reason.

At some point I tried all that, then said fuck it.

besides, i'm one who not only wants to look, but also wants to feel, touch and smell. that goes for everything in my  life :P

I agree, which is why I built it into this for a little old school authenticity. :lol: 

9 minutes ago, downzy said:

I was initially excited about the new Oculus Quest system until I found out it doesn't have the horsepower to play the new Half Life game.  I guess asking a $299 machine to play something like Half Life is a bit much, but once we get to that point I can see a dramatic shift in how people play games.  

Yeah, I'm the same way.  Looking back on it I found it kind of ludicrous (for consumers at least) that Nintendo sold the NES and SNES mini consoles that were limited to 20-30 games.  They should have sold mini systems that connected a subscription service whereby for $4-$5 a month you had access to their entire NES or SNES catalogues.  Who wouldn't sign up for that (other @Dazey)?  The monthly fee would have been small enough that everyone who played those games back in the day would have signed up and also small enough that most people would keep paying it.  Instead of making $80-$90 per machine they could have made $40-$50 on the machine and made $40-$50 a year.  This could have been their gateway into the streaming space as the box could eventually be used to stream new releases directly.  

I have not, I don't know if I would want to ask to try it on my buddy's system! :lol:

Yeah, $300 is still a lot imo, to get the full experience you need a high end gaming PC. Google Earth can only be used with the PC hookup too, I believe, and that is one of my favorite VR experiences. I think it is still best to wait a few years, more AAA games and innovative experiences will be made and the hardware won't be as expensive. I bet those cumbersome cords will get a lot less unwieldy, too. 

They could have released more games for each of those little systems without using much space, but even then I think the appeal would be the same. Nostalgia plays a role in those, too. I barely played SNES as a kid as only one of my friends had it and we just played a bit of Street Fighter and Donkey Kong once in a while. I have a lot more attachment to the N64 so I might bite at a "N64 Classic" for the novelty of having a collection of playable games that would always be around since mine have long been lost. Would I actually play them? Probably not a lot. The brian is a weird thing. 

As I said earlier, Nintendo has dropped the ball on not releasing tons and tons of old games for the Switch. A portable/home hybrid Nintendo console with access to hundreds of games from the NES- WiiU would have been a no brainer since so many of us sit out entire generations of Nintendo consoles. I am WAY more inclined to play some old games on the couch for short bursts in handheld mode than I am on the TV, but that is just me. 

Edited by ZoSoRose

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I agree, which is why I built it into this for a little old school authenticity. :lol: 

600 snes games ready to play, thousands of more on other consoles...

I don't know man, where is the fun in that? where is the mystery? the charm, man. that street fighter alone cost 100 euro back in the day. it is a little jewel, but this way it's reduced to stupid bits and pieces on a hard drive, totally immaterialised.

such an amount of games makes me feel I need to puke 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47zxlcafc0co6s1jd6ph

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Something tells me if you go to the trouble of putting on a VR helmet to jerk off and you're seeing dicks in guys, it's not an accident.  

I'd be far too paranoid for VR porn. Imagine you're all on your own on the couch, you pop the headset on with the sound cranked up and get down to business. When you're finished you take the headset off and there's a bacon sandwich and a fresh cup of coffee on the table next to you. :lol:  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I'd be far too paranoid for VR porn. Imagine you're all on your own on the couch, you pop the headset on with the sound cranked up and get down to business. When you're finished you take the headset off and there's a bacon sandwich and a fresh cup of coffee on the table next to you. :lol:  

no baked eggs? how rude of her.

1 minute ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

Psst...most games do...

But hey if you wanna illegally pirate games, you do you. 

Nintendo's IP is so substantial.

Everything feels better on a dedicated console In my experience. Phone gaming makes me hurl. 

I actually own a Switch with BOTW but my little sister "borrowed" it about three years ago and I've never seen it since. :lol: 

• Haha 1