The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

Homemade mouth wash  (if removed due to maybe wrong section I will understand)

- Peppermint tincture

- Ground salt (could use high mineral like mountain or sea salt, but I doubt it would absorb, so I use a sugar-free table salt)

- Warm tap water

Make you own tincture.  Have a jar of salt and tincture bottle in vanity, on sink, etc.  After brushing or after consuming acidic drink, pour a bit of salt into cup, add some warm tap water. Gently swirl around to mix. Add a little splash of peppermint tincture and use as regular mouth wash.

Why do this, soon?  Main reason anyone would consider: to not use a product that has corrosive ingredients leaching toxins from plastic bottle like store bought types.  Also saves money - peppermint grows as a weed and even with low sun can grow year round indoors.  I found industrial mouth wash irritated my throat. Less waste and carbon foot print.  As a bonus, my gums are looking and feeling really great - much more so then with normal mouth wash.

Best part: use peppermint tincture to make your own chocolate-peppermint patties!!!!!

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, soon said:

Outta likes.  Looks incredible!  Back to back birthdays?  If you get around to it, the mirror glaze recipe would be fun to learn?

Almost- he's a year and two days younger than I!

Poor sod has a twin sister and an older brother whose birthday was on Sunday. We also met really young, so he's never had a birthday of his own! 

Yes, I'll be writing up the recipe shortly. 

• Like 1

Roti.  Sweet potato/flour, two ingredient roti.  With roasted salsa, steak and cheese.

vBoLPj1l.jpg

Roti - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRj0tPEjcBY

By the last few flat breads I cooked I had the hang of it and they were chewy and toothsome.

M3hGPbFm.jpg       firre2Km.jpg        YKBbDXXm.jpg       

Salsa: peeled and seeded tomato, chopped green pepper, garlic (in skin), sliced onion, salt, black pepper, cumin, cayenne, sprinkle of olive oil.  Stir.  Bake in covered pyrex at 365.  Till you like the smell and texture. Remove garlic from skin. While cooling add fresh cilantro and parsley - stems included, fresh oregano leaves and apple cider vinegar (optional).  Blend. Cover and refrigerate while cooking potato and steak.

Steak, cook how ever you like but a touch under where you like it.  Slice into strips after resting it.  Marinate in salsa for as long as you can wait.  Then cook the steak immersed in salsa at 295 while you make roti. 

Shredded cheddar on bottom of warm roti, salsa and steak, more cheese, more salsa, yogurt of sour cream if you wish.  Shredded iceberg lettuce would been amazing but I didn't have any.  

(I had yogurt with ground flax, and a bunch of pre-biotics like sun choke inulin on the side)

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Happy Thanksgiving weekend fellow Canadians! Well, i guess that just means @soon lol. 

Here's hoping our turkeys come out ok! I've had one bad year and i don't want a repeat :lol:

Thanks!  Same to you!  

You got this -dont let one bad year get at ya!  Im planning to brine mine for the first time this year.  Will see if I have the nerve tomorrow.  Ive got sage of course, but I have this urge to put some anise hyssop in the brine too which sounds foolish.  :lol:

1 minute ago, soon said:

Thanks!  Same to you!  

You got this -dont let one bad year get at ya!  Im planning to brine mine for the first time this year.  Will see if I have the nerve tomorrow.  Ive got sage of course, but I have this urge to put some anise hyssop in the brine too which sounds foolish.  :lol:

I'm too scared to brine, so good on you! anise hyssop - will that have a licorice flavour? that may be interesting, adding a touch of sweet flavour to the gravy! I put sherry in the pan when mine cooks, it adds gorgeous colour to the turkey..of course, that is a secret, my brother and sisterinlaw would be scandalized that my nephews are ingesting that! Cause does the alcohol actually boil away at such a low temp? who knows! 

Im probably to scared to brine too :lol:.

I think you saved my turkey - I should maybe only put some anise hyssop in the gravy, not the brine too.  Great idea!  Yes, licoricie, not so much as star anise.  Its a small leafy plant with tight bulbus purple flowers so it retains a bit of floral and herby green flavours too.  Its really just that this is first year I grew them successfully.  Sherry, eh?  Sounds lovely.  Im glad you let me in on the secret and you can just blame your nephews grogginess on the turkey-sleep thing!  Ive never really achieved that fully satisfying colour to the bird, so I shall use that next time.

• GNFNR 1

Penne, finished in cast iron with butter and thyme-sprig sauted onion, black oyster mushroom, tomato, zucchini and tomato sauce. Deglazed with red wine vinegar and splash of pasta water. Topped with parm and black pepper.

I really think the oyster mushroom and penne make good friends

This is ridiculous!  :lol: :headbang:

I call this improvised appetizer "For fear of death by winter."  The most hilarious yet delicious thing that necessity has prompted from me.  Frost tonight, needed to harvest the last of the nasturtium, oregano and a bunch of other stuff.  Both oregano and nasturtium help fight off a cold and I feel an itch in my throat.  Fat also helps fight a cold.  The yellow celebrates the sun and the green celebrates the grass, but you can see the fear in the plating as the dark cold settles in :lol:

N09BO5hl.jpg

Nasturtium leaf puree

applewood smoked bacon

fresh greek oregano

grated cheddar cheese 

I know it don't look like much but this was effing delicious.  Fresh oregano and bacon!  It works!  And both of those love cheese.  Nasturtium leaves have little flavour, just a brightness.  I tossed in some fresh oregano towards end of cooking bacon and also ate some with raw.  I love it

EDIT: Reserved bacon fat and added it to left over turkey gravy.  Infused gravy with sage.  Had it with left over turkey legs and sweet potato mash.  :drool:

Edited by soon

I made a pizza. 

All you will need:

1. reliable transportation

2. a supermarket

3. $5.99

4. a functioning oven.

Simply catch a ride or go drive yourself to your nearest grocer, head to the frozen food isle and select your choice among dozens of select pizzas. Grab your selection, pay your lovely cashier, head home and follow the directions on the package. 

I recommend pairing your pizza with some beers. They blend well together.

Enjoy.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've lost a little passion for food lately. I cannot be buggered with it. Maybe it will return? Who knows.

Sorry to hear that.  Ive been less and less able to cook and I know for me that I miss it even if I don't feel like doing it.  Also hope you get your groove back as your skills inspire me an Ive learned at least a handful of techniques that I will continue to use from you.  Im actually going a Chinese inspired sauce today - but mostly not homemade, just a orange-ginger marinade that Im going to thicken with a corn starch slurry.

Decadent bacon mac and cheese

Not enough energy to full on cook lately, so in addition to my homemade frozen lasagna I have been doing meals of half store bought and half home cooked.

Boxed mac and cheese with sauted bacon, onion, mushroom, spinach, garlic deglazed with splash of red wine vinegar.  ALL of the bacon grease gets mixed into mac and cheese along with everything!  Sorry dieters.  So very good.  Topped with chives from the window.  Looked prettier then most of my stuff too but was eaten too quickly for pic

Craving mozzarella, tomato, basil combo after reading @Axls Rocket Queen's post.   I started marinating chopped tomatoes and garlic in basil infused olive oil and balsamic.  Wasnt sure what it would be for.  Then today a farmer pal brought some cilantro and parsley by.  This turned into:  Red quinoa and sofrito crust pizza with roasted tomato and garlic sauce, mozzarella and parsley.  The red quinoa shone through and the balsamic added sweet.  So many flavours.  Last of the gardens fresh tomatoes sent out in style - I loved this.

uMVYStRl.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ginger and Sage Soda.

This is the most carbonated pop I've managed to make and now can duplicate it.  Its maybe too carbonated - the bubbles shoot up nose while sipping.

Ingredients:

- Water Kefir (half of whatever volume): just a basic water kefir consisting of kefir grains, water and the small amount of sugar left from what it was fed earlier.

- Oat Water (quarter of volume): just a basic version consisting of strained water and oats.

- Tea (quarter of volume): a thumb of chopped fresh ginger, large sprig and a bit more leaves of freshly dried sage, roughly chopped (stem too for bitter if you have a stem), actually and infusion, not tea.

Directions:

Combine once tea is cool. Bottle it.  A jar with lid or canning jar work too.  Fill to near brim, leaving a bit of room for pressure.  Leave out on counter for 1-3 days; longer being more carbonation and less sweetness.  Put in fridge after that time.  Drink shortly after, wont keep more then a week or so.  Also can explode, but Ive never had it happen.  Open cautiously over sink (with receptacle to catch it).  That also is never an issue for me.

NOTE: Kefir is a probiotic. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that improve/maintain gut health.  Since they are supposed to inhabit our bodies their presence starves out bad bacteria that is populating our stomachs.  What this means is the bad stuff has to go.  This can happen quickly when first having strong probiotics if gut health is bad as is the case for pretty much all of us.  Be near a friendly washroom when first using!!  

This is a very healthy drink, with far less sugar then conventional pop and also, with ginger and sage, it will fight off colds and viruses.  Ginger also aides digestion. Sage is also good for concentration.

Edited by soon

Have had this salad and variations of it almost daily for the past 6 weeks. Can't take credit for the recipe:

Large bowl of fresh shredded kale

one large, fresh beet- thinly sliced

handful of bean sprouts

shredded carrots

tofu lightly sautéed in sesame seeds & olive oil

cooked wild rice

portobello mushrooms lightly sautéed in olive oil

fresh broccoli marinated in a little siracha 

roasted , unsalted sunflower seeds

dressing: white miso paste, ginger, garlic & olive oil  

*Cats can't share once garlic is on it 

i rotate in roasted Brussels sprouts, fresh Cherry tomatoes, fresh baby spinach , whatever you like 

It's finger lickin good and you keep Buckethead happy:bucket:

Edited by Pishy

25 minutes ago, Pishy said:

Have had this salad and variations of it almost daily for the past 6 weeks. Can't take credit for the recipe:

Large bowl of fresh shredded kale

one large, fresh beet- thinly sliced

handful of bean sprouts

shredded carrots

tofu lightly sautéed in sesame seeds & olive oil

cooked wild rice

portobello mushrooms lightly sautéed in olive oil

fresh broccoli marinated in a little siracha 

roasted , unsalted sunflower seeds

dressing: white miso paste, ginger, garlic & olive oil  

*Cats can't share once garlic is on it 

i rotate in roasted Brussels sprouts, fresh Cherry tomatoes, fresh baby spinach , whatever you like 

It's finger lickin good and you keep Buckethead happy:bucket:

Sounds really great!  Gonna try it.  That dressing!!!!!!! :drool:

I find I cant chew up fresh kale, even shredded, so I will lightly saute that too.  And tempeh for me which Ive never cooked with the sesame seeds and sounds delicious.

Out of likes, but 2 dolphins  

@soon glad you like. You can let the kale sit in the dressing a bit and the juices from the mushrooms soften it up as well but you can certainly sautee it a bit to loosen up it's joints, haha. I swear I thought you might go for the tempeh on this, even better than tofu.  The dressing is super good, go lighter on the miso and heavier on the ginger and garlic so you don't end up salty unless you like salty.  Let me know how it goes!

10 minutes ago, Pishy said:

@soon glad you like. You can let the kale sit in the dressing a bit and the juices from the mushrooms soften it up as well but you can certainly sautee it a bit to loosen up it's joints, haha. I swear I thought you might go for the tempeh on this, even better than tofu.  The dressing is super good, go lighter on the miso and heavier on the ginger and garlic so you don't end up salty unless you like salty.  Let me know how it goes!

Thanks for those tips.  Interesting about the tempeh!  Its a sign you should share more in the future.  Will let you know for sure.  Will wait for my kale to mature

• Like 1