The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

2 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Can you handle the ingredients being in METRIC?

never mind :P but i AM sure i can find a recipe similar to yours, i'm quite good at that ;) i ate some enchiladas one time and i made them without their recipe and they were actually better than the ones we had at the best Mexican restaurant in El Paso so...:lol:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

Harvested some chives today and am making a marinade/base/oil flavouring/I don't know the word of:  Diced chives, pressed garlic, pureed cooking onion, and micro plained ginger.  Equal(ish) parts, frozen in cubes.  

Can throw into pan to flavour oil to start off a saute, or thaw a few to rub on a roast and marinade a bit.  Kinda of like the Chinese garlic/ginger/scallion blend and some Puerto Rican rub with onion that I forget the details of.

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

now with this i could handle METRIC! thanks :)

My Pleasure!  I end up getting a lot in both systems around here.  

1 minute ago, soon said:

Harvested some chives today and am making a marinade/base/oil flavouring/I don't know the word of:  Diced chives, pressed garlic, pureed cooking onion, and micro plained ginger.  Equal(ish) parts, frozen in cubes.  

Can throw into pan to flavour oil to start off a saute, or thaw a few to rub on a roast and marinade a bit.  Kinda of like the Chinese garlic/ginger/scallion blend and some Puerto Rican rub with onion that I forget the details of.

My Pleasure!  I end up getting a lot in both systems around here.  

like the idea for the marinade cubes! i am thinking of making a duck and doing an asian style marinade for it :)

10 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

like the idea for the marinade cubes! i am thinking of making a duck and doing an asian style marinade for it :)

I wanna try duck so bad!  I have family who duck hunt, but Ive only been given access to the taxidermies :lol:

7 minutes ago, soon said:

I wanna try duck so bad!  I have family who duck hunt, but Ive only been given access to the taxidermies :lol:

it's so good but i always feel a little bad cos i feed ducks by the river. i justify it by saying the ducks they sell are not the same kind :P

i have had wild duck though...it's a little gamy. i used to be able to get duck in portions...this grocery store sold the thighs/legs in a two pack. now they just sell the whole ducks and that's fine. here in Nevada people are into hunting big time so my friends have no problem eating Donald Duck :lol:

so your family just makes the ducks into trophies?? my dad would deer hunt then keep the antlers and have those mounted but he had the meat processed and we ate a lot of Bambi!

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

10 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

it's so good but i always feel a little bad cos i feed ducks by the river. i justify it by saying the ducks they sell are not the same kind :P

i have had wild duck though...it's a little gamy. i used to be able to get duck in portions...this grocery store sold the thighs/legs in a two pack. now they just sell the whole ducks and that's fine. here in Nevada people are into hunting big time so my friends have no problem eating Donald Duck :lol:

so your family just makes the ducks into trophies?? my dad would deer hunt then keep the antlers and have those mounted but he had the meat processed and we ate a lot of Bambi!

They just dont share the meat, all I see is the trophies!

I pulled a vegetarian shepherds pie outta freezer.  Its delicious but I cant remember what I put in it to make it so good.  I cant put my finger on it.  Both how I seasoned the veggie ground and something i put in the potatoes.  Theres at least 3 flavours I cant identify.  Its really bothering me :) 

1 hour ago, soon said:

I pulled a vegetarian shepherds pie outta freezer.  Its delicious but I cant remember what I put in it to make it so good.  I cant put my finger on it.  Both how I seasoned the veggie ground and something i put in the potatoes.  Theres at least 3 flavours I cant identify.  Its really bothering me :) 

don't you hate when that happens? was it something you hadn't made before? it has happened to me a couple of times when i do new dishes. but i am notorious for not measuring...like my spaghetti sauce :P but that comes out the pretty dang close to the same every time. maybe cos i have been doing it since i was in the 5th grade! 

5 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

don't you hate when that happens? was it something you hadn't made before? it has happened to me a couple of times when i do new dishes. but i am notorious for not measuring...like my spaghetti sauce :P but that comes out the pretty dang close to the same every time. maybe cos i have been doing it since i was in the 5th grade! 

Yeah, I dont cook veggie ground much.  Im sure I was just free styling.  I think the potatoes might have diced horseradish leaves (likely me trying to put meat related flavours in), but the spices on ground is still a mystery.  You've been making spaghetti sauce since 5th grade?!?!  Must be very good!

• Like 1

Here is a little Chinese dish I rustled up.

Ingredients,

- bag of spinach

- finely diced root ginger, garlic and onion

- dish with about three table spoons of chicken stock, and about two table spoons of light soy. Bit of black pepper also.

1/ Medium heat, stir fry ginger/garlic/onions till onions translucent

2/ add spinach - you may need to add a bit at a time - and continue stir frying for 1-2mins (till almost wilted).

3/ Add stock/soy and stir fry for about one minute more.

Serve with plain boiled rice.

This recipe is easily adaptable. Mushrooms can be added at stage three for instance. Chicken or prawns would go well. I served it as a side dish with salmon (that had been marinated in soy for twenty minutes before frying).

• Like 2

LOL in all modesty everyone who has ever tasted it has said it was the best they'd ever had!

i think i took it as a challenge...one time i made some  seasoned rice and just was free styling as you say. i fed it to a guy i was with and it was like pulling teeth to get a compliment from him so i said pretty good huh? and he says yeah but you'll never duplicate it ( i'd told him i did it by just throwing spices in, no measuring! ) so i did it again and he kinda agreed with me. but after that it was like game on dude! :D been doing it for many many years now :P

maybe if you give it time the flavors you can' recall will come to you :)

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Here is a little Chinese dish I rustled up.

Ingredients,

- bag of spinach

- finely diced root ginger, garlic and onion

- dish with about three table spoons of chicken stock, and about two table spoons of light soy. Bit of black pepper also.

1/ Medium heat, stir fry ginger/garlic/onions till onions translucent

2/ add spinach - you may need to add a bit at a time - and continue stir frying for 1-2mins (till almost wilted).

3/ Add stock/soy and stir fry for about one minute more.

Serve with plain boiled rice.

This recipe is easily adaptable. Mushrooms can be added at stage three for instance. Chicken or prawns would go well. I served it as a side dish with salmon (that had been marinated in soy for twenty minutes before frying).

yum! i am making salmon tonight, if i'd seen this before shopping i'd have given it a shot! :)

you sound like a gourmet chef ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

LOL in all modesty everyone who has ever tasted it has said it was the best they'd ever had!

i think i took it as a challenge...one time i made some  seasoned rice and just was free styling as you say. i fed it to a guy i was with and it was like pulling teeth to get a compliment from him so i said pretty good huh? and he says yeah but you'll never duplicate it ( i'd told him i did it by just throwing spices in, no measuring! ) so i did it again and he kinda agreed with me. but after that it was like game on dude! :D been doing it for many many years now :P

maybe if you give it time the flavors you can' recall will come to you :)

yum! i am making salmon tonight, if i'd seen this before shopping i'd have given it a shot! :)

you sound like a gourmet chef ;)

I do think fish should be kept simple. The best way to cook salmon is probably steaming actually - black pepper, steam , serve with slice of lime - but I'm always too lazy to set up the steamer so I often just marinade it in a bit soy for twenty minutes and fry - still serve with slice of lime. My favourite way is actually salmon teriyaki but I always end up slugging my sake supply!

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I do think fish should be kept simple. The best way to cook salmon is probably steaming actually - black pepper, steam , serve with slice of lime - but I'm always too lazy to set up the steamer so I often just marinade it in a bit soy for twenty minutes and fry - still serve with slice of lime. My favourite way is actually salmon teriyaki but I always end up slugging my sake supply!

my plan is to wrap it in foil and steam it in the oven. season it with pepper and maybe a bit of soy sauce. i could do a teriyaki sauce with it. i make my own. i have never had sake in my life! when driving to Bodega Bay there is a place i pass by that makes sake in Napa. i am always curious and i keep saying i'm going to try it. but i heard it's an acquired taste...was it like that for you? :) 

8 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

my plan is to wrap it in foil and steam it in the oven. season it with pepper and maybe a bit of soy sauce. i could do a teriyaki sauce with it. i make my own. i have never had sake in my life! when driving to Bodega Bay there is a place i pass by that makes sake in Napa. i am always curious and i keep saying i'm going to try it. but i heard it's an acquired taste...was it like that for you? :) 

It is lovely hot on a winter's day. I've liked it since day one really.

That is a good way to do salmon. You can either set up a steamer on your hob or do it as you are doing it in the oven. Probably the best way as there is not much chance of drying it out.

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

It is lovely hot on a winter's day. I've liked it since day one really.

That is a good way to do salmon. You can either set up a steamer on your hob or do it as you are doing it in the oven. Probably the best way as there is not much chance of drying it out.

i will definitely have to check it out then!

i had a steamer but it disappeared during my last move. :lol:

I love a tuna steak. Sadly it's one of the many earthly delights which I'm restricted from consuming due to the baby. 

I ate a tiny slice of Camembert on my flight to Orlando, because there wasn't much else to eat. I'm now convinced that if the baby comes out with six toes, it's all my fault. And it was definitely the cheese, not the bottle of prosecco I downed before I found out I was pregnant. 

30 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I love a tuna steak. Sadly it's one of the many earthly delights which I'm restricted from consuming due to the baby. 

I ate a tiny slice of Camembert on my flight to Orlando, because there wasn't much else to eat. I'm now convinced that if the baby comes out with six toes, it's all my fault. And it was definitely the cheese, not the bottle of prosecco I downed before I found out I was pregnant. 

Im sure when the day comes to count those toes all will be in order :) 

Whats your favourite way to prepare tuna steak?

1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

Tuna is not allowed in pregnancy now?? Wow, what else aren't you allowed to have? Have you got any cravings yet?

I guess I will call this rosemary chicken tetrazinni.  

Roast chicken thighs in bit of stock, fresh rosemary, pressed garlic

Meanwhile prepare and then saute in butter; fresh rosemary sprigs, chopped onion, pressed garlic, chopped shiitake and creminni mushrooms, salt, pepper.  Deglaze (fancy word for using a liquid to lift all the fat and tasty cooked bit from pan) with balsamic vinegar (mix with water for larger amounts), remove from pan with all the good stuff, in bowl fold in a good helping of sour cream while still hot, set aside

At same time cook spaghetti till just below al dente (toothsome)

Pour spaghetti with plenty of starchy water into still hot pan, add mushroom mixture, cook down to desired consistency, add cubed chicken last minute and toss.  Use plenty of rosemary in both applications.