The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

4 hours ago, soon said:

I saw the season 6 sauce roll out and thought you'd be adding to your collection! :lol: But these are all ones already there, right? So, more to come? Theres another Ontario based one for season 6, from Thunder bay I think. Is Ontario a hot sauce place?

Why oh why would you get Blairs mega death sauce with liquid rage?!?!?!?! Nobody has had anything positive to say about it. Thats the most likely to turn a guest hostile :o Have you dared to try it already?

There's always more to come :lol: Kinda disappointed they aren't making the Hot Ones chipotle sauce any more but I'll get a bottle of the new sauce once it's on sale.

As for Blair's... curiosity got the best of me. :lol: I haven't tried it yet though. The store also had Da Bomb and a couple kinds of Mad Dog 357, but Blair's is more intriguing.

edit: I don't really know if Ontario is a 'hot sauce place'. I imagine since there's a few large cities that there is at least a 'niche' for hot sauces/foods, so like anywhere the smaller hot sauce companies start popping up. I've only tried a few sauces from Ontario I think, Dawson's Sichuan Ghost Pepper being my favourite, Damien's Hotel Oscar Tango being my least favourite. I'll keep an eye out for Heartbeat habanero though (the new season 6 sauce).

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

There's always more to come :lol: Kinda disappointed they aren't making the Hot Ones chipotle sauce any more but I'll get a bottle of the new sauce once it's on sale.

As for Blair's... curiosity got the best of me. :lol: I haven't tried it yet though. The store also had Da Bomb and a couple kinds of Mad Dog 357, but Blair's is more intriguing.

edit: I don't really know if Ontario is a 'hot sauce place'. I imagine since there's a few large cities that there is at least a 'niche' for hot sauces/foods, so like anywhere the smaller hot sauce companies start popping up. I've only tried a few sauces from Ontario I think, Dawson's Sichuan Ghost Pepper being my favourite, Damien's Hotel Oscar Tango being my least favourite. I'll keep an eye out for Heartbeat habanero though (the new season 6 sauce).

Dare you to get into the Blairs right now. Then describe it here in real time. :lol:

I noticed my grocery store now has a sizeable hot sauce display. At first I figured it wouldnt be good stuff, but now I wonder if any of those Ontario ones are there.

6 hours ago, soon said:

Dare you to get into the Blairs right now. Then describe it here in real time. :lol:

I noticed my grocery store now has a sizeable hot sauce display. At first I figured it wouldnt be good stuff, but now I wonder if any of those Ontario ones are there.

Nah, gonna save the Blair's to try with some co-workers probably sometime this week.

Secret Aardvark is fkn good though. Might try the Ghost Pepper & Blueberry sauce tonight.

• Like 1

Best Sandwich Ever.

- Whole wheat panini.

- Miracle Whip mixed with a Ruthless Hot Sauces habanero and cilantro sauce on the bottom side of bun

- Leaf of crispy romaine lightly dressed in balsamic vinaigrette on bottom

- Danish blue cheese crumbled on lettuce

- Ribbons of Montreal style smoked brisket, light salt and pepper

- Cilantro leaves on top

- Yellow Mustard on top side of bun

- Should've added sauerkraut 

Went to buy cat food while hungry, came home with all those ingredients, lol. This is how all sandwiches should be made hence forth. 

Made meatloaf, but instead of normal blend of onion, ketchup and milk soaked bread crumbs, I used sofrito and sofrito puree soaked bread crumbs.

Super delicious, sugar free and far more nutrients. A more summery flavour too. Gonna have that with cheesy scalloped potatoes.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:13 AM, soon said:

Blairs is kinda 'violently hot'. It's just heat for the first couple minutes. :lol: It's kind of comparable to The Hottest Fuckin Sauce, and it's actually a good sauce to use 1-2 drops at a time, mixed with pasta sauce or something, but a few dabs of it on 1 chicken wing is a bit much :lol:

Secret Aardvark and Ghost Pepper Blueberry are both good. Secret Aardvark is basically a 'goes on everything' kinda sauce - made a steak sandwich for dinner a couple nights ago, put a line of SA down the middle of the garlic bread, and it was a very good decision. Ghost Pepper Blueberry is pretty much just a chicken sauce, but it goes well with chicken wraps that are heavy with greens so maybe a little bit would be good on salads.

13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Blairs is kinda 'violently hot'. It's just heat for the first couple minutes. :lol: It's kind of comparable to The Hottest Fuckin Sauce, and it's actually a good sauce to use 1-2 drops at a time, mixed with pasta sauce or something, but a few dabs of it on 1 chicken wing is a bit much :lol:

Secret Aardvark and Ghost Pepper Blueberry are both good. Secret Aardvark is basically a 'goes on everything' kinda sauce - made a steak sandwich for dinner a couple nights ago, put a line of SA down the middle of the garlic bread, and it was a very good decision. Ghost Pepper Blueberry is pretty much just a chicken sauce, but it goes well with chicken wraps that are heavy with greens so maybe a little bit would be good on salads.

Hmmm, "violently hot" is not necessarily my thing. But glad you enjoy! :lol:

Steak Sandwich made with garlic bread sounds so good - hot sauce or not! Both meals do. Man, you are a true connoisseur, I wouldnt have thought to use hot sauce in a salad. But I would think to put blueberries in salad, so theres the link that I would miss. Looking forward to trying out these two! Hoping to place an order in July.

I did buy a local one form the grocery store; Ruthless Hot sauce brand. 'Habanero' is all it says on label but its that and cilantro forward. with raw onion and carrots, lime and APV it tastes pretty much exactly like Id want a beef chilli to taste like. You wouldnt be into it because its very vinegary. I lot thinner then I expected. Not too hot at all. Enjoyed it most on a blue cheese/mayo/yogurt crostini so far. Planning to try out making both sauces that Sean Evans and Queen Majesty made on that demo.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:21 AM, soon said:

Hmmm, "violently hot" is not necessarily my thing. But glad you enjoy! :lol:

Steak Sandwich made with garlic bread sounds so good - hot sauce or not! Both meals do. Man, you are a true connoisseur, I wouldnt have thought to use hot sauce in a salad. But I would think to put blueberries in salad, so theres the link that I would miss. Looking forward to trying out these two! Hoping to place an order in July.

I did buy a local one form the grocery store; Ruthless Hot sauce brand. 'Habanero' is all it says on label but its that and cilantro forward. with raw onion and carrots, lime and APV it tastes pretty much exactly like Id want a beef chilli to taste like. You wouldnt be into it because its very vinegary. I lot thinner then I expected. Not too hot at all. Enjoyed it most on a blue cheese/mayo/yogurt crostini so far. Planning to try out making both sauces that Sean Evans and Queen Majesty made on that demo.

The blueberry sauce isn't a sweet one, it's sort of tart/bitter but still quite recognizably blueberry. Just a small amount balanced with something 'light' or sweet would be good... I'll have to try some different combinations.

I'm intrigued by the Ruthless sauce, the cilantro sounds interesting but I'm surprised it's vinegary, since their website says:
"Our hot sauce does not contain vinegar, which is usually the primary factor for people complaining about there stomachs burning."
I'll keep an eye out for it though.

Nice, about the blueberry not being too sweet. Hard to do. Many a wheat beer is ruined by an overly sweet blueberry, imo. Love it when they get it right though! What about on vanilla ice cream with a balsamic reduction?

Thats so weird about the no vinegar thing. My bottle has a slightly different label then on the website, so Im wondering if they havent updated the site in a while.

OyxEU6xm.jpg  

sqSIxMDl.jpg

In fairness to them, though, I was half referring to the consistency being thin and runny. The main acidic note is the lime and it is rather acidic, but it has the 'roundness' of the apple cider vinegar. The cider vinegar also is a bit of a palate cleanse, leaving just the heat after all the good flavour. Even with the xanthan gum to thicken it, its thin. I think you prefer a thicker sauce?

I'd said it wasnt too hot at all, but at 7am off a spoon: its hot! :lol:

12 hours ago, soon said:

Nice, about the blueberry not being too sweet. Hard to do. Many a wheat beer is ruined by an overly sweet blueberry, imo. Love it when they get it right though! What about on vanilla ice cream with a balsamic reduction?

Thats so weird about the no vinegar thing. My bottle has a slightly different label then on the website, so Im wondering if they havent updated the site in a while.

In fairness to them, though, I was half referring to the consistency being thin and runny. The main acidic note is the lime and it is rather acidic, but it has the 'roundness' of the apple cider vinegar. The cider vinegar also is a bit of a palate cleanse, leaving just the heat after all the good flavour. Even with the xanthan gum to thicken it, its thin. I think you prefer a thicker sauce?

I'd said it wasnt too hot at all, but at 7am off a spoon: its hot! :lol:

Haven't thought to try it on ice cream, mostly cuz I rarely buy ice cream but.... I should put blueberries in ice cream and then add the blueberry sauce. And maybe add the second half of that brownie. :wow:

On a side note, I kind of hate summertime as I top out at about 15° but I like the berry/seasonal beers - the breweries in town make some good blackberry and raspberry beers.

I usually prefer sauces that aren't too runny but if the sauce is good it doesn't really matter. Ghost pepper blueberry and Sichuan ghost pepper are both fairly thin yet good. I've made the mistake of trying a spoonful of the sichuan ghost pepper sauce, it was not worth it :lol:

On June 18, 2018 at 8:30 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Haven't thought to try it on ice cream, mostly cuz I rarely buy ice cream but.... I should put blueberries in ice cream and then add the blueberry sauce. And maybe add the second half of that brownie. :wow:

On a side note, I kind of hate summertime as I top out at about 15° but I like the berry/seasonal beers - the breweries in town make some good blackberry and raspberry beers.

I usually prefer sauces that aren't too runny but if the sauce is good it doesn't really matter. Ghost pepper blueberry and Sichuan ghost pepper are both fairly thin yet good. I've made the mistake of trying a spoonful of the sichuan ghost pepper sauce, it was not worth it :lol:

I dont get too much ice cream either, but when I do I like to jazz it up. Would be neat to see how the hot sauce and cold dairy push and pull against one another. That brownie outta make almost any combo taste amazing :lol:, but that sounds really delicious!

So about 15 is average there for most of the rest of the year? Ive had an aged blackberry sour which was right up my alley and tasty, but it left my mouth puckered for like a day. Would love to try a more refreshing play on blackberry beer. Havent seen any around here lately. Whats the brewery?

Why are we both eating hot sauce by the spoonful?! :lol:

13 hours ago, soon said:

I dont get too much ice cream either, but when I do I like to jazz it up. Would be neat to see how the hot sauce and cold dairy push and pull against one another. That brownie outta make almost any combo taste amazing :lol:, but that sounds really delicious!

I'll have to do some experimenting soon :D

So about 15 is average there for most of the rest of the year? Ive had an aged blackberry sour which was right up my alley and tasty, but it left my mouth puckered for like a day. Would love to try a more refreshing play on blackberry beer. Havent seen any around here lately. Whats the brewery?

I don't know what the actual average temp is here, but for last few days it's been stupidly hot - Monday was about 32 and I've been working outside all week.

oz9CUmt.png

The brewery is Vancouver Island Brewing. They also make a decent hazy IPA.

twisted.png

Why are we both eating hot sauce by the spoonful?! :lol:

Because great minds think alike! :lol:

edit: that blackberry beer is a nice light, subtle one. On the flip side, this is a pretty good dark blackberry beer (from Penticton),
92098.jpg

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Haha 1

Well said about eating hot sauce by the spoonful! So true! :lol: :headbang:

Blackberry in beer is a pretty diverse ingredient, eh? For me a porter is a fall/winter and helles is definitely a spring/summer beer. I hope to try that helles especially sometime. I havent really had any exciting beers lately. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention to the brew pubs as Im busy at garden. I kinda wanna make a blackberry porter chocolate caramel now:drool:

Oh the sucks to endure that while working. What type of construction are you in if you dont mind posting it? Its the first day of Summer, so the countdown to relief has begun... kinda.

I put some homemade super hot sauce into some chicken tetrazzini. Clearly havent got the balancing thing down yet. Chicken tetrazzini should not be able to do that to a person!

6t7f6DZh.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, soon said:

Well said about eating hot sauce by the spoonful! So true! :lol: :headbang:

Blackberry in beer is a pretty diverse ingredient, eh? For me a porter is a fall/winter and helles is definitely a spring/summer beer. I hope to try that helles especially sometime. I havent really had any exciting beers lately. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention to the brew pubs as Im busy at garden. I kinda wanna make a blackberry porter chocolate caramel now:drool:

Oh the sucks to endure that while working. What type of construction are you in if you dont mind posting it? Its the first day of Summer, so the countdown to relief has begun... kinda.

I put some homemade super hot sauce into some chicken tetrazzini. Clearly havent got the balancing thing down yet. Chicken tetrazzini should not be able to do that to a person!

6t7f6DZh.jpg

I agree porter's are generally a fall/winter type of beer but that blackberry one's a good one for after dinner or around a campfire or something relaxing. The helles is a 'crack one open after work' kinda beer. I do residential electrical, monday and wednesday I was in a boom lift doing the outside services on a duplex. Was hot af.

As for the chicken pasta.... I've been there. :lol:

21 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I agree porter's are generally a fall/winter type of beer but that blackberry one's a good one for after dinner or around a campfire or something relaxing.

Blackberry Porters 'round the campfire... You well represent the idyllic Vancouver lifestyle, lol. Im jealous. It does sound like a perfect dessert beer any time of year. My mind went straight to dessert.

The helles is a 'crack one open after work' kinda beer. I do residential electrical, monday and wednesday I was in a boom lift doing the outside services on a duplex. Was hot af.

Fuck, I cant imagine the heat radiating off the buildings and windows. Well earned after work helles! I would like to have those the of skills to do that work.

As for the chicken pasta.... I've been there. :lol:

But right bak on the horse, right? :lol: Im breaking out my extra, extra hot horseradish for my beef stew tonight. Induces a high from time to time.

(The longer the freshly grated horseradish root is exposed to air before vinegar is added, it makes it hotter and hotter by the second. Science)

4 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Love sushi? Of course you do.

Nope! Sushi is fucking rank! No true northerner would ever eat fish that hadn't been fried to the point that it was unrecognisable as fish! :lol: 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Nope! Sushi is fucking rank! No true northerner would ever eat fish that hadn't been fried to the point that it was unrecognisable as fish! :lol: 

i saw you were here and thought "what's Dazey been cooking?"  i was somewhat relieved when i saw your post :lol:

• Haha 1

Breakfast Sandwich Excellence 

Ingredients:

Sliced Bread (2 slices)

Butter

Peameal Bacon (2-3 slices)

Eggs (2)

Salsa

Shredded Aged Cheddar

Cayenne 

Dried majoram

Salt and Pepper

Directions:

Place peameal bacon in buttered pan on medium heat. Toast bread. I used broiler. Lay warm toast on cutting board and layer shredded cheese on both slices to begin melting it. Lay cooked peameal over the cheese to finish melting. Set aside.

Cook two eggs, sunny side up, in peameal grease. Salt yokes. Sprinkle over cayenne and marjoram. Add generous scoops of salsa to non-yolk portion of eggs. Try and have the two eggs cook as one piece. Grind pepper over all the surface.

When cooked, gently fold over itself with spatula being careful to not break yolks. Do not press down on folded top.

Transfer folded eggs and salsa onto one piece of the toast/cheese/peameal. Gently lay other toast/c/p over that. Let sit a moment. 

When ready to eat, push down breaking yolks and slice sandwich in half, diagonally.

Dip sandwich in broken yolk and juices on plate as if it were ketchup, bite by bite. 

Optional: Pour pan juices over eggs before closing sandwich.

• Thanks 1

After talking about deep dish pizza with @soon I decided I would finally try and make my own this weekend :D Followed a recipe from here.

I didn't have a 14" deep pan which the recipe called for, so I ended up making 2 smaller pizzas. The crust turned out way too thick but on the whole it was pretty tasty. I had mozzarella on the bottom, then chorizo, pepperoni & porchetta, then the tomato/bbq sauce, and topped with parmesan and a bit more pepperoni :headbang:

1fecdy.jpg

Could only finish one of them so the other is in the fridge ready to be reheated tomorrow :)

Edited by downliner
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 6/22/2018 at 2:21 PM, soon said:

Blackberry Porters 'round the campfire... You well represent the idyllic Vancouver lifestyle, lol. Im jealous. It does sound like a perfect dessert beer any time of year. My mind went straight to dessert.

Fuck, I cant imagine the heat radiating off the buildings and windows. Well earned after work helles! I would like to have those the of skills to do that work.

But right bak on the horse, right? :lol: Im breaking out my extra, extra hot horseradish for my beef stew tonight. Induces a high from time to time.

(The longer the freshly grated horseradish root is exposed to air before vinegar is added, it makes it hotter and hotter by the second. Science)

It's definitely a dessert beer.

Beef stew with extra hot horseradish sounds awesome.

• GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, downliner said:

After talking about deep dish pizza with @soon I decided I would finally try and make my own this weekend :D Followed a recipe from here.

I didn't have a 14" deep pan which the recipe called for, so I ended up making 2 smaller pizzas. The crust turned out way too thick but on the whole it was pretty tasty. I had mozzarella on the bottom, then chorizo, pepperoni & porchetta, then the tomato/bbq sauce, and topped with parmesan and a bit more pepperoni :headbang:

1fecdy.jpg

Could only finish one of them so the other is in the fridge ready to be reheated tomorrow :)

Yes! The look amazing and sound delicious! Downing those in two days in a noble enterprise :lol:

Do you have a stand mixer? I'll be making a lot more pizza once I get one. Might have to give this a go sooner then that! I usually go with a fermented/no knead dough these days.