The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

26 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

In spite of me trying to lose weight, I’ve also volunteered to serve coffee and cake at church every Sunday. So will be baking a cake every week from now on. 

Exhibit A: Victoria Sponge Bundt 

4C56B3E3-FCDC-48B5-B8CF-F5876BFCA8D7.jpeg

Easy solution. Quit church and send the cakes to me. You’ll burn in hell but you’ll get a lie in, the diet will be easier to stick to and I’ll have +1 cake. :) 

Edited by Dazey

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Easy solution. Quit church and send the cakes to me. You’ll burn in hell but you’ll get a lie in, the diet will be easier to stick to and I’ll have +1 cake. :) 

I’m not risking eternal hellfire just so you can add gluttony to your repertoire of deadly sins. I can do that myself. :lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, soon said:

Do you have a stand mixer? I'll be making a lot more pizza once I get one. Might have to give this a go sooner then that! I usually go with a fermented/no knead dough these days.

I don't have a stand one, but I do have a handheld plug-in mixer which speeds the dough making process up. I had to hold it in place for 7 minutes so my arms were shaking for the next hour afterwards :lol:

• Haha 1

Blended some canned tuna into some herb and mushroom tomato sauce. Its funky, briny and delicious. Used on spaghetti. Will add some olive oil and use for dip with crustini.

Out of no where I suddenly crave thing I didnt used to enjoy, like olives. The antipasto kiosk now calls my name. So this was the cheap, lazy hack.

Edited by soon

Ginger and Berry Roast Beef

OFdf61Fh.jpg

Marinated an outside round roast in apple cider vinegar, lots of fresh shredded ginger, pressed garlic, crushed celery seed, soy sauce, cayenne and whole black pepper for 24 hours. Slow cooked it on some perfect, milky sliced onion for about 2 hours. 

I sautéed onion, garlic, cremini mushroom, red pepper and lots of spinach with a pinch of cayenne, salt and pepper. I pureed this.

I sliced the beef and fanned them over the spinach puree and topped with this blueberry/black berry hot sauce. I love blueberry with ginger and this did not disappoint.

Sauce wasnt nearly as hot as the sign at the store indicated. Wish they wouldve removed the berry seeds. Looking forward to try some on a square of dark chocolate. Its another local one.

Spoiler

YkqYdkNh.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever the fuck you wanna call this :lol:

1/4 cup of brown rice (x2)

Frozen vegetables (or real if you prefer, I use frozen cause I'm broke)

Chopped spinach 

1-2 oz of plain cream cheese 

1/2 cup of milk 

Chopped cabbage

Sliced mushrooms

------------------

1. Cook the rice and set it aside

2. Spray the pan and put cabbage, frozen vegetables, mushrooms, and spinach in, cover and cook on medium for 5 minutes. Uncover and add salt, black pepper, vegetable seasoning (optional) red pepper flakes (optional) and a tablespoon of ranch dressing (optional). Stir and cover for 5 more minutes on high heat.

3. Put 1/2 cup of milk and cream cheese into a medium saucepan. Whisk until sauce thickens. Add Italian seasoning if desired

4. Serve over rice 

20180711_171125.jpg

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • GNFNR 1

"Kinda Cristo / Minor Cristo" - A cheat Monte Cristo

Using 2 instead of 3 slices of bread and using deli turkey instead of ham. 

Ingredients:

- 2 slices wonder bread

- 4 thin slices of deli/luncheon turkey

- 1 large egg

- shredded aged cheddar (one grilled cheese worth)

- frenchs mustard (squeeze bottle yellow mustard) 

- mayonaise/miracle whip

- olive oil

Directions:

Break egg in bowl and whisk with fork to form 'custard.' Drag both slices of bread through on both sides. Stack bread in bowl and cover. Let steep for at least 5-10 minutes. In meantime prep cheese by grating it and gather meat, mustard and mayonnaise. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in skillet (cast iron made it even better) to medium. Carefully place coated bread slices, individually, into skillet. After a few minutes tap the edges of bread to asses doneness. Flip when browning is to your preference. Add mayonnaise to one of the cooked sides and mustard to the other. Sprinkle a 1/3 of the cheese on each slice. Ribbon over 2 slices of turkey on each side. Put remaining cheese on one slice and close into a sandwich. Continue cooking, flipping once or twice as needed until cheese melts and french toast is cooked. Cool on rack for a few minutes to let it set up. Slice diagonally (sorry its a rule, lol!).

Edited by soon

• 2 weeks later...

Brunch in the Nood

~ A Rich Peanut Butter & Jelly Veloute with Pulled Roast Beef over Noodles, finished with an Indulgent Broken Yoke ~ 

otT5idPh.jpg

Ingredients:

• Butter
  • White Onion
  • Spaghetti Noodles
  • AP Flour
  • Beef Au Jus
  • Milk
  • Smooth Peanut Butter
  • Blueberry Habanero Hot Sauce
  • Fork Pulled Roast Beef
  • Large Egg

Directions:

In a skillet, gently sweat the 1' squares of white onion in butter while you bring heavily salted water to a boil. Once boiling add spaghetti noodles to water. At same time add more butter and an equal amount of all purpose flour to to skillet, stirring all contents form to a medium roux. Make veloute by adding au jus. Add a splash of milk along with a spoon of peanut butter. Stir and adjust constancy as desired. Add blueberry habanero hot sauce to taste. Strain noodles when ready and return to pot. Fold PB&J veloute into noodles over low heat and add fork pulled roast beef. Wipe clean the skillet, add butter and cook sunny side up egg. Salt the yoke. Plate the noodles as a nest. Place sunny side up egg over. Top with additional hot sauce as desired. Cilantro or parsley would be lovely. Break yoke as you begin to enjoy. 

Over the last few weekends I've been trying different slow-cooked meat dishes; beef stew, the chili posted above, and this weekend was my first attempt at making pulled pork sandwiches. I'm pleased with how they turned out considering it was my first attempt but there was something off, I don't know if I used a little too much apple cider vinegar or if the bbq sauce was just too 'sweet', but I'm wondering what people here use for pulled pork? The meat itself was great but the flavor was missing 'something', I can't place it though. I used:

Bullseye bbq sauce
little bit of canola oil
apple cider vinegar
chicken broth
garlic
chili powder & ghost chili flakes
thyme
brown sugar
onion
a couple small drops of mustard
lea & perrins

On July 30, 2018 at 8:48 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Over the last few weekends I've been trying different slow-cooked meat dishes; beef stew, the chili posted above, and this weekend was my first attempt at making pulled pork sandwiches. I'm pleased with how they turned out considering it was my first attempt but there was something off, I don't know if I used a little too much apple cider vinegar or if the bbq sauce was just too 'sweet', but I'm wondering what people here use for pulled pork? The meat itself was great but the flavor was missing 'something', I can't place it though. I used:

Bullseye bbq sauce
little bit of canola oil
apple cider vinegar
chicken broth
garlic
chili powder & ghost chili flakes
thyme
brown sugar
onion
a couple small drops of mustard
lea & perrins

Did you braise the pork in this mixture? Or did you make the sauce separately and add it towards end of cooking after you'd pulled the meat?

53 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Braised and cooked and that mixture.

You're a good cook so you probably would've flagged this but, just in case, do you think the sauce had been able to reduce down enough? I ask because slow cookers retain so much of the moisture lost in other forms of cooking. Even if the constancy and 'stick' is to your liking it brings out more flavours to reduce it. And the vinegar gets be tamed and the sugar gets richer, more complex and less overtly sweet. 

But to answer your initial question, my typical sauce for pulled chicken not that it likely applies to pulled pork would be: Ketchup, sriracha, cider vinegar, splash of balsamic, soy sauce, cayenne powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, maple smoked sea salt, lea and perins, dried sage, dried basil, crushed fennel seed (or dried tarragon), cumin, nutmeg, black pepper. Id bring it to a boil in a sauce pan and then simmer it down. Id add it to slow cooker when I pulled the chicken, blending it with accumulated juices, and continue cooking for a bit. (different, i know,  because chicken doesn't require the braise to break down)

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎30 at 8:48 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

The meat itself was great but the flavor was missing 'something', I can't place it though.

4 hours ago, soon said:

Ketchup

Yep, I concur, try adding ketchup and/or hoisin sauce to replace some of the bbq sauce.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soon said:

@Whiskey Rose I wish I could always have every hundred words I say distilled down to the one word actually matters, lol! I think everyone would be happy :lol: 

Wish there was an app for that

LOL! sorry about that :lol: I was just excited that someone else used ketchup! :lol:

But that's a great idea, and I know I could use something like this too, especially during arguments, where I have a tendency to go round and round ha! The Precis App. Or I guess, to be fitting, it would have to be called the Prapp :lol:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Whiskey Rose said:

LOL! sorry about that :lol: I was just excited that someone else used ketchup! :lol:

But that's a great idea, and I know I could use something like this too, especially during arguments, where I have a tendency to go round and round ha! The Precis App. Or I guess, to be fitting, it would have to be called the Prapp :lol:

Haha, no need to apologize. I just found it funny. Prapp is exactly what it would be! :lol: I need that, although I'd be very anxious when I enter a block of text. I can just hear the SIRI voice saying "processing your text know. I suggest you use zero of those words" :lol:

Yes, the use of ketchup is truly exciting, lol. Do you have a ketchup based bbq sauce or do you improve?

10 hours ago, soon said:

Haha, no need to apologize. I just found it funny. Prapp is exactly what it would be! :lol: I need that, although I'd be very anxious when I enter a block of text. I can just hear the SIRI voice saying "processing your text know. I suggest you use zero of those words" :lol:

Yes, the use of ketchup is truly exciting, lol. Do you have a ketchup based bbq sauce or do you improve?

I have a ketchup based.  It's not too fancy though :lol:

3/4 c ketchup

1 tbsp. hoisin sauce

1/2 c honey

1 tsp dry mustard

3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

1 head garlic, roasted and squeezed into sauce.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1