AxlsFavoriteRose

The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

After talking about deep dish pizza with @soon I decided I would finally try and make my own this weekend :D Followed a recipe from here.

I didn't have a 14" deep pan which the recipe called for, so I ended up making 2 smaller pizzas. The crust turned out way too thick but on the whole it was pretty tasty. I had mozzarella on the bottom, then chorizo, pepperoni & porchetta, then the tomato/bbq sauce, and topped with parmesan and a bit more pepperoni :headbang:

1fecdy.jpg

Could only finish one of them so the other is in the fridge ready to be reheated tomorrow :)

Edited by downliner
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 6/22/2018 at 2:21 PM, soon said:

Blackberry Porters 'round the campfire... You well represent the idyllic Vancouver lifestyle, lol. Im jealous. It does sound like a perfect dessert beer any time of year. My mind went straight to dessert.

Fuck, I cant imagine the heat radiating off the buildings and windows. Well earned after work helles! I would like to have those the of skills to do that work.

But right bak on the horse, right? :lol: Im breaking out my extra, extra hot horseradish for my beef stew tonight. Induces a high from time to time.

(The longer the freshly grated horseradish root is exposed to air before vinegar is added, it makes it hotter and hotter by the second. Science)

It's definitely a dessert beer.

Beef stew with extra hot horseradish sounds awesome.

• GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, downliner said:

After talking about deep dish pizza with @soon I decided I would finally try and make my own this weekend :D Followed a recipe from here.

I didn't have a 14" deep pan which the recipe called for, so I ended up making 2 smaller pizzas. The crust turned out way too thick but on the whole it was pretty tasty. I had mozzarella on the bottom, then chorizo, pepperoni & porchetta, then the tomato/bbq sauce, and topped with parmesan and a bit more pepperoni :headbang:

1fecdy.jpg

Could only finish one of them so the other is in the fridge ready to be reheated tomorrow :)

Yes! The look amazing and sound delicious! Downing those in two days in a noble enterprise :lol:

Do you have a stand mixer? I'll be making a lot more pizza once I get one. Might have to give this a go sooner then that! I usually go with a fermented/no knead dough these days.

In spite of me trying to lose weight, I’ve also volunteered to serve coffee and cake at church every Sunday. So will be baking a cake every week from now on. 

Exhibit A: Victoria Sponge Bundt 

4C56B3E3-FCDC-48B5-B8CF-F5876BFCA8D7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

26 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

In spite of me trying to lose weight, I’ve also volunteered to serve coffee and cake at church every Sunday. So will be baking a cake every week from now on. 

Exhibit A: Victoria Sponge Bundt 

4C56B3E3-FCDC-48B5-B8CF-F5876BFCA8D7.jpeg

Easy solution. Quit church and send the cakes to me. You’ll burn in hell but you’ll get a lie in, the diet will be easier to stick to and I’ll have +1 cake. :) 

Edited by Dazey

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Easy solution. Quit church and send the cakes to me. You’ll burn in hell but you’ll get a lie in, the diet will be easier to stick to and I’ll have +1 cake. :) 

I’m not risking eternal hellfire just so you can add gluttony to your repertoire of deadly sins. I can do that myself. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, Gracii Guns said:

I’m not risking eternal hellfire just so you can add gluttony to your repertoire of deadly sins. I can do that myself. :lol:

You could make 2 pies then? :shrugs: 

43 minutes ago, Dazey said:

You could make 2 pies then? :shrugs: 

Well if it’s a pie, this is a very different scenario. Of course I’ll make you pies. 

13 hours ago, soon said:

Do you have a stand mixer? I'll be making a lot more pizza once I get one. Might have to give this a go sooner then that! I usually go with a fermented/no knead dough these days.

I don't have a stand one, but I do have a handheld plug-in mixer which speeds the dough making process up. I had to hold it in place for 7 minutes so my arms were shaking for the next hour afterwards :lol:

• Haha 1

Blended some canned tuna into some herb and mushroom tomato sauce. Its funky, briny and delicious. Used on spaghetti. Will add some olive oil and use for dip with crustini.

Out of no where I suddenly crave thing I didnt used to enjoy, like olives. The antipasto kiosk now calls my name. So this was the cheap, lazy hack.

Edited by soon

Ginger and Berry Roast Beef

OFdf61Fh.jpg

Marinated an outside round roast in apple cider vinegar, lots of fresh shredded ginger, pressed garlic, crushed celery seed, soy sauce, cayenne and whole black pepper for 24 hours. Slow cooked it on some perfect, milky sliced onion for about 2 hours. 

I sautéed onion, garlic, cremini mushroom, red pepper and lots of spinach with a pinch of cayenne, salt and pepper. I pureed this.

I sliced the beef and fanned them over the spinach puree and topped with this blueberry/black berry hot sauce. I love blueberry with ginger and this did not disappoint.

Sauce wasnt nearly as hot as the sign at the store indicated. Wish they wouldve removed the berry seeds. Looking forward to try some on a square of dark chocolate. Its another local one.

Spoiler

YkqYdkNh.jpg

• Like 1

Whatever the fuck you wanna call this :lol:

1/4 cup of brown rice (x2)

Frozen vegetables (or real if you prefer, I use frozen cause I'm broke)

Chopped spinach 

1-2 oz of plain cream cheese 

1/2 cup of milk 

Chopped cabbage

Sliced mushrooms

------------------

1. Cook the rice and set it aside

2. Spray the pan and put cabbage, frozen vegetables, mushrooms, and spinach in, cover and cook on medium for 5 minutes. Uncover and add salt, black pepper, vegetable seasoning (optional) red pepper flakes (optional) and a tablespoon of ranch dressing (optional). Stir and cover for 5 more minutes on high heat.

3. Put 1/2 cup of milk and cream cheese into a medium saucepan. Whisk until sauce thickens. Add Italian seasoning if desired

4. Serve over rice 

20180711_171125.jpg

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • GNFNR 1

"Kinda Cristo / Minor Cristo" - A cheat Monte Cristo

Using 2 instead of 3 slices of bread and using deli turkey instead of ham. 

Ingredients:

- 2 slices wonder bread

- 4 thin slices of deli/luncheon turkey

- 1 large egg

- shredded aged cheddar (one grilled cheese worth)

- frenchs mustard (squeeze bottle yellow mustard) 

- mayonaise/miracle whip

- olive oil

Directions:

Break egg in bowl and whisk with fork to form 'custard.' Drag both slices of bread through on both sides. Stack bread in bowl and cover. Let steep for at least 5-10 minutes. In meantime prep cheese by grating it and gather meat, mustard and mayonnaise. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in skillet (cast iron made it even better) to medium. Carefully place coated bread slices, individually, into skillet. After a few minutes tap the edges of bread to asses doneness. Flip when browning is to your preference. Add mayonnaise to one of the cooked sides and mustard to the other. Sprinkle a 1/3 of the cheese on each slice. Ribbon over 2 slices of turkey on each side. Put remaining cheese on one slice and close into a sandwich. Continue cooking, flipping once or twice as needed until cheese melts and french toast is cooked. Cool on rack for a few minutes to let it set up. Slice diagonally (sorry its a rule, lol!).

Edited by soon